PDA

View Full Version : What fabrics / (t)shirts for summer

frodo
11th-June-2003, 12:02 AM
It can be tempting to dance less during the summer, due to the difficulty in keeping cool and apparently dry.

I always go for 100% cotton shirts on the grounds, that though they may need ironing, and do not come in the same range of styles, they are more breathable than some synthetic fabrics.

It has recently come to my attention, due to a post on the Ceroc London Forum (http://www.ceroclondon.com/forum) - Coffee Corner - Clothing thread (http://www.ceroclondon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29) that this may not be ideal.

Given a particular material it seems to me that (t)shirts are often too short for comfortable dancing.
Then there is acceptable style / price / reluctance to spend time shopping to consider.

So what styles (incl patterns & colours) and fabrics of (t)shirts work best for you and where do you get them ?

And any comments on what you like / do not like about the (t)shirt(s) on your dance partner ?

Will
11th-June-2003, 01:54 AM
I like to wear linen trousers in the summer.

Chicklet
11th-June-2003, 08:43 AM
No particular preference to declare, just make sure you change them as often as necessary, or preferably more often than perhaps STRICTLY necessary.

Everybody who has been dancing more than a couple of times knows how bad it can get and the multi-changers, far from being lambasted as sweaty buggers are cheered as thoughtful and clean!!

You'll dance best, smile and enjoy the night if you are comfortable so if you find a t-shirt / shirt you feel happy with, buy 6 the same or in different hues?

Works for me!

But then the problem for girls is a bit more complex as getting the right tops is only half the problem, getting the right bras for under them can be a nightmare!!!

Last thing, guys, pale trousers and sweat patches don't flatter anyone!!!DON'T DO IT!!!!!

:cheers:

DavidY
11th-June-2003, 09:14 AM
When I have time & I'm not dancing, I occasionally go outdoors walking - and if you go round the outdoor shops they'll sell you various tops that are made with "CoolMax" (Registered trade mark of someone or other) and other such magic materials that are supposed to keep you cool and dry when walking in hot weather.

Has anyone tried these for dancing? If so, do they help?

Of course they might not look that good but when temperatures rise I'm not sure how important that is compared to being comfortable (?)

David

LilyB
11th-June-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Will
I like to wear linen trousers in the summer.

Do they come in Baco-foil finish then? :D

spindr
11th-June-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
When I have time & I'm not dancing, I occasionally go outdoors walking - and if you go round the outdoor shops they'll sell you various tops that are made with "CoolMax" (Registered trade mark of someone or other) and other such magic materials that are supposed to keep you cool and dry when walking in hot weather.

Using similar "logic" --- I've occasionally worn my running shirts. These are increadibly breathable, but warm enough when not dancing -- not terribly stylish, something like a t-shirt. The other advantage is that the seams are angled, so that you don't get "chafing" around the armpits, etc.

The only disadvantage is that they are slightly shiny and might not be quite so easy to hold.

Neil.

DavidB
11th-June-2003, 02:24 PM
Not sure if it is ideal for summer, but this (http://www.no-contact.com) would definitely stop any problems with 'sleazy' men.

Dreadful Scathe
11th-June-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Not sure if it is ideal for summer, but this (http://www.no-contact.com) would definitely stop any problems with 'sleazy' men.

interesting idea - but surely a sweat inducing activity like dancing would have the shirt zapping the wearer ? :) Mind you, would save you money on hairspray if it did :).

CJ
11th-June-2003, 03:07 PM
SHORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T-shirts? Dunno, ask a dancer...:D

Neil
11th-June-2003, 03:41 PM

I've just started wearing CoolMax t-shirts for dancing in, and they're brilliant! I can wear the same shirt all night and, by some miracle of modern science, it's still bone dry at the end of the evening. I still take a towel to wipe off the copious amounts of sweat pouring off my hands and face (sorry, probably too much information...).

It's a trademark of DuPont, I believe. The ones I've got are made by Peter Storm and, as David says, you can buy them at any outdoors-type shop.

Cheers,

Neil

p.s. great forum guys (& gals)!

Tiggerbabe
11th-June-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

Do you think they do it in trousers too David - that would be funny if they pulled you in too close :rofl:

Jayne
11th-June-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by frodo
It can be tempting to dance less during the summer, due to the difficulty in keeping cool and apparently dry.

Frodo,

you could always consider moving to scotland, then the problem won't arise....

J :rolleyes:

Dance Demon
11th-June-2003, 07:29 PM
Whatever material you choose guys,...just try not to make it a vest or sleeveless T shirt,.most of the ladies I know, like the feel of sweaty (and sometimes hairy:sick: ) arms a lot less than damp material..... :cheers:

CJ
12th-June-2003, 12:37 AM
Surely the SIGHT of a man in a vest is worth the occasional hairy/sweaty bit, no?

LilyB
12th-June-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
Surely the SIGHT of a man in a vest is worth the occasional hairy/sweaty bit, no?
NO !!! :eek:

frodo
14th-June-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
Frodo,

you could always consider moving to scotland, then the problem won't arise....

J :rolleyes:

There's a tempting thought. Just thinking of all those air-conditioned venues ... :)

Gus
15th-June-2003, 05:54 PM
If you are after good t-shirts to stay ccol in, try H&M's. They have lycra t-shirts in white or black for only #4 ... I've got about 8 and they really are good.

Sheepman
17th-June-2003, 10:05 AM
I'm just recently converted to the lycra tops from the baggy t-shirts, nothing much to do with comfort, just the reaction from the ladies was too good to be true!:wink: (So I'm rationing they're use for the moment!)
Trouble is, I can't get any of them with sheep designs :sad:
Felix dancewear also do the staycool tops, but for men you have a choice of just black or white, they are looking for sources to expand the range.
Greg

Bill
17th-June-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by LilyB
NO !!! :eek:

You mean I should throw out all my lycra vests???

I haven't worn any for a few months but we had a long discussion some time ago on another thread about the 'issue' of men in vests.

The last few parties in Edinburgh have been very hot and a few changes have been necessary but if the air conditioning is good then I don't think folk need to change too often but will have a look out for some of these makes mentioned.

MAybe we can adopt a Beach Boogie attitude and turn up in shorts/ swimwear/ t-shirts.......:rolleyes:

Jayne
17th-June-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Bill
swimwear

:what:

contemplates Bill in speedos......

:wink:

J

Bill
17th-June-2003, 06:16 PM
:what:

contemplates Bill in speedos......

:wink:

J

Not a pretty site I assure you :what: ..but I did wear shorts and I even have a photo of me in a vest and shorts...and my little legs looking pale and thin in the summer sun on the Isle of Wight

But some of the girls did wear pretty skimpy outfits.....but then it was pretty hot the second week !

Fran
18th-June-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Bill

But some of the girls did wear pretty skimpy outfits.....but then it was pretty hot the second week !

it was great!!!! kept us girls a bit cooler - the shock was comming home and realising that it probebly was'nt really suitable to wear so little up here.

there was James in his loin cloth - there you are guys there is an alternative dress code for you! The fact that he was being tarzan was neither here nor there.:wink:

it was hot though - we even got sunburnt through the clouds one day while doing a class on the lindy lawn! so you lucky people who are going this it year dont forget your sun cream! am really disapointed that we cant make it :tears: :tears: while you guys will be dancing away we will be teaching the delightful scottish pupils/students.

fran

nessie2611
22nd-June-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Fran

there was James in his loin cloth - there you are guys there is an alternative dress code for you! The fact that he was being tarzan was neither here nor there.:wink:

fran

I can remember a couple of occassions when GUS turned up and danced in a loin cloth. :eek: :what: :wink: sorry Gus couldn't resist :kiss:

Back to t-shirts, as the wife of a very hot (I mean sweaty) dancer :wink: who changes t-shirts every half hour or so, we discovered a similar product to the stay dry type you get in outdoor shops in a shop in Merry Hill that outlets over the country called Uni Qlo. I believe they are a foreign outlet, but these are brill. They are only about £7 and come in v neck, round neck, short sleeved and long sleeved and come in various colours. They wash brill and tumble and don't shrink and are easy to iron. What a product !!! :cheers: The only problem is that the shop at Merry Hill has closed, but there is an outlet in London, they may even have a web site (I haven't checked, because we own hundreds of the things) :na:

Give them a try
Nessie

Neil
23rd-June-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by nessie2611
Back to t-shirts ... we discovered a similar product to the stay dry type you get in outdoor shops in a shop in Merry Hill that outlets over the country called Uni Qlo. ... The only problem is that the shop at Merry Hill has closed, but there is an outlet in London, they may even have a web site

Their UK website is at http://www.uniqlo.co.uk/ but unfortunately I don't think you can buy stuff from it (or at least I can't figure out how it works!). Also, they seem to be closing all their UK shops, apart from those in London.

Cheers,

Neil

Gary
24th-June-2003, 12:32 AM
... if you go round the outdoor shops they'll sell you various tops that are made with "CoolMax" (Registered trade mark of someone or other [DuPont]) and other such magic materials that are supposed to keep you cool and dry when walking in hot weather.

Has anyone tried these for dancing? If so, do they help?

Bought a CoolMax shirt on the weekend, and tried it out last night.

It does feel more comfortable for light to moderate amounts of sweat. Unfortunately it's not magical, and can't cope when I'm sweating buckets. I can buy six cotton Ts for the price of the CoolMax one, so for normal "dance every song full on" nights, a bag full of cotton shirts is a better deal. If I'm going out somewhere where it's not so appropriate to bring a bag of shirts, I'll take the CoolMax.

DavidY
24th-June-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by gcapell
Bought a CoolMax shirt on the weekend, and tried it out last night.

It does feel more comfortable for light to moderate amounts of sweat. Unfortunately it's not magical, and can't cope when I'm sweating buckets. I can buy six cotton Ts for the price of the CoolMax one, so for normal "dance every song full on" nights, a bag full of cotton shirts is a better deal. If I'm going out somewhere where it's not so appropriate to bring a bag of shirts, I'll take the CoolMax. I tried a Coolmax top myself this week and it seemed to work really well. I was tired so wasn't dancing too hard - and I guess Nottingham last night was possibly a bit cooler than the peak temperatures you'd get in Sydney! However I will be using it again I think. I agree that they're a bit pricey though.

Sheepman
30th-June-2003, 12:51 PM
if you go round the outdoor shops they'll sell you various tops that are made with "CoolMax" David

David,
Can you name any of these outdoor shops, I recently tried about a dozen such places in sunny Ireland, but not a CoolMax or similar in sight.

Greg

Rachel
30th-June-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
David,
Can you name any of these outdoor shops, I recently tried about a dozen such places in sunny Ireland, but not a CoolMax or similar in sight.

Greg I'm interested, too! After reading this thread, I was thinking of trying to get some for Marc's birthday. For online purchases, I can only find American websites with expensive shipping rates, such as
http://www.raceready.com
http://www.roadrunnersports.com

(Anyone got any other birthday present ideas for a dance-maniac???)

BTW Neil - I realise this is extremely belated (I've been so busy working ... honest!!) but - Hello, and welcome to the Forum. Nice to find out who you are! And hope to see you again at Nottingham soon.
Rachel

Neil
30th-June-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
I'm interested, too! After reading this thread, I was thinking of trying to get some for Marc's birthday.

Hi Rachel!

You could try going to http://www.millets.co.uk/ and doing a search for CoolMax. The t-shirts I've got are made by Peter Storm and are available from either Millets or Black's outdoor shops.

BTW Neil - I realise this is extremely belated (I've been so busy working ... honest!!) but - Hello, and welcome to the Forum. Nice to find out who you are! And hope to see you again at Nottingham soon.

Thanks very much, Rachel! I'll be at Nottingham tonight, modelling one of my CoolMax t-shirts. You'll be very welcome to feel it to check out its dryness...

Neil

Rachel
30th-June-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Neil
I'll be at Nottingham tonight, modelling one of my CoolMax t-shirts. You'll be very welcome to feel it to check out its dryness...

Neil
Why thank you - so kind! But can I take a raincheck on that? We're at MK tonight....
R.

Rachel
30th-June-2003, 04:18 PM
Hi Rachel!

You could try going to http://www.millets.co.uk/ and doing a search for CoolMax. The t-shirts I've got are made by Peter Storm and are available from either Millets or Black's outdoor shops.Neil Neil - you're a star - just had a quick look at this webpage and it's just what I was after. Thank you!
R.

Neil
30th-June-2003, 04:35 PM
Why thank you - so kind! But can I take a raincheck on that? We're at MK tonight....
Rachel, you have a standing invitation to feel my t-shirt any time you like :devil:

Seriously though, I swear by these CoolMax t-shirts - it's so nice not to be feeling soggy and/or having to change shirts all the time. However, having read gcapell's comments above, it may be that they are particularly suited to my pattern of dancing at a Ceroc night (i.e. 2/3 dances, retreat to bar for 10 mins, another 2/3 dances etc. etc.). They may not be quite so good for non-stop "full-on" dancing.

Cheers,

Neil

p.s. re tonight: Nottingham's loss is MK's gain!

DavidY
30th-June-2003, 04:58 PM
Hi Rachel!

You could try going to http://www.millets.co.uk/ and doing a search for CoolMax. The t-shirts I've got are made by Peter Storm and are available from either Millets or Black's outdoor shops.

Thanks very much, Rachel! I'll be at Nottingham tonight, modelling one of my CoolMax t-shirts. You'll be very welcome to feel it to check out its dryness...

Neil

Which Neil are you? I'll also be at Nottingham tonight (but wearing a Taxi T shirt rather than one of my Coolmax ones).

Incidentally I bought my Coolmax ones from Millets as well so I guess we run the risk of wearing identical shirts to the same night.

David

Jayne
30th-June-2003, 05:10 PM
Neil & David,

will either of you be at Nottingham next Monday? I'm doing a course at the Uni for a few days so I was planning on going to the Monday class... If so, do I get a feel of your t-shirt too? :wink:

J :nice:

Neil
30th-June-2003, 05:32 PM
Which Neil are you?
The devilishly handsome, witty, charming and elegant Neil, often to be found propping up the bar at the Marcus G.

I'll also be at Nottingham tonight (but wearing a Taxi T shirt rather than one of my Coolmax ones).
If you're taxiing, you should be easy to track down - I'll come and say hello.

Incidentally I bought my Coolmax ones from Millets as well so I guess we run the risk of wearing identical shirts to the same night.
Oh no, the social disgrace! :sad:

Cheers,

Neil

(apologies to our kind Scottish hosts for all this Nottingham talk)

Neil
30th-June-2003, 05:37 PM
will either of you be at Nottingham next Monday? I'm doing a course at the Uni for a few days so I was planning on going to the Monday class... If so, do I get a feel of your t-shirt too?

I'll be there, Jayne, and I shall absolutely insist that you feel my t-shirt. We could even have a dance or two if you like... :nice:

Neil

p.s. There's also Ceroc on a Thursday in Nottm, if you're around.

cerocmetro
30th-June-2003, 08:46 PM
Sorry but without having to read lots, is there a conclusion to the best fabric?

Adam

DavidY
30th-June-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by cerocmetro
Sorry but without having to read lots, is there a conclusion to the best fabric?

Adam Sorry if I missed anything out but I think the story so far is this:
* Outdoors-y shirts made of material like Dupont's CoolMax work a lot better than ordinary cotton, but are pricey and not miracle workers when it's really hot & you're dancing hard
* UniQlo do cheaper "stay-dry" stuff if you can find them
* Gus likes H&Ms which use lycra and cheaper still
* a bag of cotton tops is probably cheapest of the lot but don't stay dry as well
* Will likes Linen trousers
* Chicklet likes anyone who changes often enough to not be sweaty

Is this a fair summary folks?
David

edited 'cos I accidentally pressed Submit before I'd finished writing...

Sal
1st-July-2003, 08:33 AM
Is this a fair summary folks?

Fairly efficient, I would say - 4 pages of writing into 1 post!

Rachel
1st-July-2003, 08:47 AM
I'll be there, Jayne, and I shall absolutely insist that you feel my t-shirt. We could even have a dance or two if you like... :nice:
Ahhh, and I though i was special, now you're offering out feels left, right and centre ... Never mind, if I have to share with anyone, then let it be Jayne.
Rachel

P.S. We always love coming to Nottingham - it's always a brilliant atmosphere there. Hope to be back soon ...

Jayne
1st-July-2003, 09:14 AM

Neil

p.s. There's also Ceroc on a Thursday in Nottm, if you're around.
Hi Neil,

fantastic! Book me in for a couple of dances then! I assume I'll find you propping up the bar next week as well as yesterday??? :wink:

I'll be leaving Nottingham Wednesday evening so I won't make the Thursday class... :tears:

I went to uni at Nottingham so I'm looking forward to going back again.... Memory lane....

See you next week!
Jayne
:nice:

Jayne
1st-July-2003, 09:15 AM
Ahhh, and I though i was special, now you're offering out feels left, right and centre ... Never mind, if I have to share with anyone, then let it be Jayne.

tee hee hee... thanks Rachel!

J :nice:

Neil
1st-July-2003, 03:23 PM
Oh Rachel, you are special: the t-shirt feeling club is very exclusive, you and Jayne are the only members.

fantastic! Book me in for a couple of dances then! I assume I'll find you propping up the bar next week as well as yesterday???
Either at the bar or not too far away! I'll look forward to seeing you.

Last night, thanks to this excellent forum, I had the pleasure of meeting DavidY for the first time, although I'd seen him around many times. Perhaps we should get a www.cerocscotland.com/forum banner, Ã* la Blackpool, and congregate under that!

Cheers,

Neil