PDA

View Full Version : The friendliest venue you've danced at as a visitor

SteveK
8th-December-2006, 06:00 AM
As an antidote to the negative posts highlighting the venues that aren't particularly welcoming to non-regulars (such as the alleged "refusal row" at Hammersmith), and also as plenty of people seem to dance at lots of different venues; which venues would you highlight as being particularly friendly to non-regulars?

Is it the small or large venues that are best? Is Scotland more friendly than the south of England? Or are all MJ/ceroc venues equally friendly?

I've said it elsewhere that I've been really impressed by the three or four times I've danced in Inverness; for example, on sitting down at a table before the class on the first time I attended, some of the regulars made a real effort to chat to me and make me feel welcome.

Where have you been surprised by the extra warm welcome?

fletch
8th-December-2006, 09:39 AM
Where have you been surprised by the extra warm welcome?

For me it was Ealing I think I was so scared because I had heard a lot about London, Hippsters etc, and every one was just lovely.

there were 4 of us girlies and we floated in, in our party dresses :blush: :D big smiles:flower: and prepared to ask for every dance :flower: the rest is history :hug:

I love Ealing

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

straycat
8th-December-2006, 10:22 AM
On the MJ front, I think Revolution in Knutsford gets my vote.

foxylady
8th-December-2006, 10:34 AM
Glasgow definitely ! (well anywhere scottish is always very friendly and welcoming but glasgow is the only regular class night I have been to in scotland).....

everyone was so lovely... and as well as dancing with Jammy, I got three in a row with Franck (swoon)....

Sparkles
8th-December-2006, 10:35 AM
For me it was Perth Ceroc. Everyone there was so lovely to me. :flower:

I think Scotland must have the friendliest dancing venues in the world :clap:

Lory
8th-December-2006, 11:33 AM
For me, the friendliest venue i've ever been to has to be Kent House, at the old T dances, I miss those days so much :tears: :tears: :tears:

everyone was so lovely... and as well as dancing with Jammy,

He he, I got four with Jammy at Ashtons on Weds! :clap: :grin:

fletch
8th-December-2006, 11:34 AM
On the MJ front, I think Revolution in Knutsford gets my vote.

I think it helps when the people running a venue are freindly it seems to follow right trought the place :flower:

and you carn't get a more freindly lovely couple the Keith and Janie :hug:

They inspire me :worthy:

Freya
8th-December-2006, 12:06 PM
I think that Fleet and Jango is where I got my friendliest welcomes. Because by the time I started traveling in Scotland I already knew lots of people that danced at these venues.

Fleet because I was on my own had been PM'd by 2 lovely people and they had set people looking out for me!

Jango because everyone there was just lovely!

Daisy Chain
8th-December-2006, 01:05 PM
Rosudgeon Jive, near Penzance in Cornwall and Sandbach Town Hall

Daisy

(A Well-Travelled Little Flower)

LMC
8th-December-2006, 01:52 PM
Not been to any "regular" Scottish dance nights, which seem to be coming up tops at the moment!

Warmest welcome south of the Watford Gap for me are the Milton Keynes Sunday tea-dances :) (has nearly made up for the terrible music at the two I've been to)

Shodan
8th-December-2006, 03:00 PM
Apart from my local events I attend weekly, I think it has to be:

1) Warmwell for a party weekender. Everyone just gets into the party spirit and are just so nice.

2) Newquay Jive classes. I attend there every now and then as my folks live down there and I have friends down there. Everyone is always nice and chatty towards me. The only embarassing thing is though, that they all know my name but I can't remember most of theirs. Doh! :blush:

Mr Cool
8th-December-2006, 06:43 PM
Nobody comes close to Bookhams For friendy superb keep up the good work John Miller and John Ford :respect: :respect: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Andy McGregor
8th-December-2006, 06:57 PM
A few years ago I danced in both Bristol and Bath. I was bowled over by how friendly everybody was.

Minnie M
8th-December-2006, 07:10 PM
For me it was Perth Ceroc. Everyone there was so lovely to me. :flower:

I think Scotland must have the friendliest dancing venues in the world :clap:

:yeah: :clap: :yeah: ALL the Scottish venues I have been to have been wonderfully warm and welcoming including Billy's LeRoc classes - thank you all :hug: (most of the Scottish Classes I have been to were pre-forum and therefore no-one knew me at all)

Lee Bartholomew
10th-December-2006, 10:59 AM
Went to a MJ event in Dartford once. Didn't know anyone there but ended up keeping in touch with about 5 people.

robd
11th-December-2006, 01:53 PM
but ended up keeping in touch with about 5 people.

Obviously need to keep those multiple spins more 'on the spot' :whistle:

sidney
11th-December-2006, 02:05 PM
I have two favs Steve's T.dance in Bromsgrove which is ever 2nd sunday and Ian's in Coventry Jive fevor because of those guys who front it take the time to get to know you and try and dance with everone so:respect: to them both:flower:

Little Monkey
12th-December-2006, 08:17 PM
I felt very welcome when I first started ceroc in Dundee, and didn't know a soul. The Scottish ceroc crowd is such a friendly bunch of people! Perth is also a very friendly venue. Oh, and Inverness.

Most friendly dance venue down south has to be Kent House - but I guess I went there with Greg, and everyone knows him, so lots of people probably chatted to me because of that. Don't know what it would be like to go there as a complete stranger and know nobody...

Lee Bartholomew
12th-December-2006, 08:21 PM
Also danced at King Alfreds a few years ago and ended up getting invited clubbing after with some of the dancers.

CJ
12th-December-2006, 09:58 PM
Jango. As was. before it became Monday Meltdown.

:worthy: :worthy: :hug:

Alfie
15th-December-2006, 10:23 PM
:nice: Hyde Town Hall ...Ceroc Manchester I've had some great nights up there
great crew, friendly dancers,super blues room, and free ice cream...........

Fab:clap: :clap:

hinksfield
16th-December-2006, 01:13 AM
Inverness xmas party ...brilliant evening, the friendliest people and excellent dancers for such a young class......:clap: :clap: :clap: ...would recommend it to anyone to make the trip to an Inverness social night .....:respect:

purplehyacinth
19th-December-2006, 12:34 AM
Can't say that I've met an unfriendly venue yet. I have been to Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh. Like them all. However, I think Glasgow is my favourite (personally, I really like the teaching style there, and there's a really good crowd go). Aberdeen and Edinburgh are not far behind though in terms of friendliness, and willingness to dance with a newcomer.

fletch
19th-December-2006, 10:13 AM
I have two favs Steve's T.dance in Bromsgrove which is ever 2nd sunday and Ian's in Coventry Jive fevor because of those guys who front it take the time to get to know you and try and dance with everone so:respect: to them both:flower:

:yeah:

I was going to go to Coventry this Friday, but i'm now going to Derby in the search of Fab dances :hug:

See you all a steve's Xmas eve :clap:

SuzyQ
19th-December-2006, 02:07 PM
I think that Fleet and Jango is where I got my friendliest welcomes. Because by the time I started traveling in Scotland I already knew lots of people that danced at these venues.

Fleet because I was on my own had been PM'd by 2 lovely people and they had set people looking out for me!

Jango because everyone there was just lovely!

... and it was lovely to entertain such a nice guest :)!

For me it is Hipsters and Twyford where I've been made to feel most welcome :clap:

And I've tried Hammersmith twice now and had a fantastic night both times ... does it really deserve its negative reputation? Nearly got refused at Hammersmith on Saturday but it seems I asked a beginner who was too intimidated to say yes ... so I dragged him on the dance floor anyway!!

CJ
19th-December-2006, 02:45 PM
and free ice cream...........

Fab:clap: :clap:

Dammit, you're cheap!!