PDA

View Full Version : Internet explorer issues

Juju
7th-December-2006, 09:43 AM
Internet explorer updated itself massively this morning and now I can't find my 'favourites'. Does anyone know how to access them again? Ta.

Juju
7th-December-2006, 09:46 AM
Ah. Found 'em.

:blush:

philsmove
7th-December-2006, 09:54 AM
Most of the things you need are there, but MS like M&S have hidden them. Took me ages to find black shirts in my local store

StokeBloke
7th-December-2006, 10:07 AM
For anyone else struggling with finding their favorites in Internet Explorer after the update, your favorites can be found by clicking the gold star to the left of the Address box (where you type in your www addresses) or by pressing ALT and A together. ;)

Dreadful Scathe
7th-December-2006, 10:54 AM
or alternatively - your favourites can be found by installing Firefox - it copies favourites as part of the install and they eare easily accessible from the bookmarks menu :)

TheTramp
7th-December-2006, 11:11 AM
or alternatively - your favourites can be found by installing Firefox - it copies favourites as part of the install and they eare easily accessible from the bookmarks menu :)

:yeah:

But don't get rid of explorer totally. For some reason, Firefox won't open some sites. Like my university one :(

Mostlysane
7th-December-2006, 11:14 AM
And it's proving to be more reliable. Having had IE7 for about a month now, it was crashing every 30 minutes. I finally switched to firefox and guess what, it mostly works. I do like the bookmarks toolbar folder. You can have the forum permantly there just one click away - instead of the 2 clicks you needed before. :)

Jamie
7th-December-2006, 12:08 PM
Welcome to tabbed browsing! :waycool:

Lee Bartholomew
7th-December-2006, 01:19 PM
Yep

for those that don't know, you can fix almost any internet explorer problems by going to www.mozilla.com and downloading a niffty little program called firefox.

Though MS has just brought Firefox http://www.msfirefox.com/ :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
7th-December-2006, 01:54 PM
Yep

for those that don't know, you can fix almost any internet explorer problems by going to www.mozilla.com and downloading a niffty little program called firefox.

Though MS has just brought Firefox http://www.msfirefox.com/ :rofl:
um... read the thread before you post Woody :)

Lee Bartholomew
7th-December-2006, 02:02 PM
um... read the thread before you post Woody :)

I did. Read it three times now and dont see what the problem is. i know firefox was mentioned as repairing the faults before, but not everyone will know how to get it. :what:

Dreadful Scathe
7th-December-2006, 03:17 PM
ah ok - i stand corrected then - the point was the link ....it now all makes sense and I feel stupid :)

Lee Bartholomew
7th-December-2006, 03:38 PM
ah ok - i stand corrected then - the point was the link ....it now all makes sense and I feel stupid :)

Wouldn't be the first time.:whistle: :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
7th-December-2006, 03:50 PM
Wouldn't be the first time.:whistle: :rofl:
Why ? I dont often feel stupid at all!

look, act or sound stupid perhaps but thats a different thing altogether :)

Emma
7th-December-2006, 11:43 PM
Though MS has just brought FirefoxNooooooooooooooohhhhhh

That's just *wrong*, that is.

Dreadful Scathe
8th-December-2006, 08:21 AM
yes, and very funny :)

StokeBloke
8th-December-2006, 12:53 PM
Whilst Microsoft bashing is fun and easy, it may be worth remembering that due to workplace IT restrictions and a brazillion other things, it is often not possible for someone just to 'download firefox and use that instead'.

Also apart from a few freaks and geeks ;) everyone is using a Microsoft operating system (the Mac O/S is lovely, but has a tiny market share). It is easy to complain, but Microsoft have made computers accessible for the masses. Self-installing Linux is a pretty new development, and even then it can all go wrong very easily. Don't get me wrong, I dislike Microsoft's arrogance as much as the next user, but let's not continue to throw the baby out with the bath water :)

Never mind bickering over free web browsers. If you want to save yourself serious cash (to spend on dancing) check this out, a complete office suite for Windows with complete MSOffice compatibility for free - backed by Sun Microsystems :respect: ! http://www.openoffice.org/

killingtime
8th-December-2006, 01:11 PM
Internet explorer updated itself massively this morning and now I can't find my 'favourites'. Does anyone know how to access them again? Ta.

Ah yes the Automatic Updates install of IE7. Good one MS. I'm sure people who were testing web pages against IE6 are really happy about this.

:yeah:

But don't get rid of explorer totally. For some reason, Firefox won't open some sites. Like my university one :(

You can't get rid of IE (without a lot of work and possibly making Windows less stable than it already is) they build it into the OS. Not sure if it works with IE7 but IETab (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/) allows you to open an instance of IE as a Firefox tab (you can also specify sites that are designed for IE to always open in this). I sometimes use it for web development (making sure the many IE Hacks work as expected).

Your University should really know better. All Universities should follow the Web Accessibility Initiative. I'm sure, when they have a blind student sue them because they can't get access to their lecture information, they might consider redeveloping their website.

Never mind bickering over free web browsers. If you want to save yourself serious cash (to spend on dancing) check this out, a complete office suite for Windows with complete MSOffice compatibility for free - backed by Sun Microsystems :respect: ! http://www.openoffice.org/

I've been using OpenOffice.org for a while. It's alright though if you are saving as MS Word doc types it doesn't often render the same in Word (a big deal if you are planning on sending your CV using it). You can save to PDF using it though which is handy :D.

Anyway the browser market, free as it might be, is very important. IE7 was only developed for Windows XP due to Firefox threatening to have a reasonable install base. IMHO Firefox still beats IE7 and actually has, I don't know, a constant user interface unlike IE7 which seems to pointless hide things like the menus you've got used to using in a Windows OS :rolleyes:.

Dreadful Scathe
8th-December-2006, 02:35 PM
Whilst Microsoft bashing is fun and easy, it may be worth remembering that due to workplace IT restrictions and a brazillion other things, it is often not possible for someone just to 'download firefox and use that instead'.

Its not usually difficult though, most companies still allow access to a usb slot. So if you download "portable firefox" at home and stick it on a £10 flash memory stick you're sorted for firefox at work too.

Also apart from a few freaks and geeks ;) everyone is using a Microsoft operating system (the Mac O/S is lovely, but has a tiny market share). It is easy to complain, but Microsoft have made computers accessible for the masses. Self-installing Linux is a pretty new development, and even then it can all go wrong very easily. Don't get me wrong, I dislike Microsoft's arrogance as much as the next user, but let's not continue to throw the baby out with the bath water :)

Not sure I understand your meaning. There are now more realistic choices in the OS market so we can happily criticise MS and they DO have to listen to some degree now that MAC and Linux are serious choices for your average computer user. Self-Installing Linux has been around for a decade or so and is often better than a Windows install nowadays.

killingtime
8th-December-2006, 02:44 PM
Self-Installing Linux has been around for a decade or so and is often better than a Windows install nowadays.

Oh yes. Do you have SATA drive? That's great, insert a floppy disc with the drivers on. Then when you've finally tracked down a USB floppy drive used it to get past the lovely blue install screen of Windows XP. It boots on to the disk but then can't finish the install because it can't find the drivers for the drive (even though, it's booting from the hard drive it can't find) and it hasn't fully loaded its USB subsystem so you don't have access to the floppy!

Well done Microsoft. My solution to that problem was to buy an IDE hard drive for the machine in question. You can also do something called slipstreaming but... a floppy disc who the f*** uses those any more?

Juju
9th-December-2006, 07:59 PM
Amazing.

I start a thread and two days later I don't understand a ****ing word of it.

:what:

David Bailey
9th-December-2006, 08:04 PM
Amazing.

I start a thread and two days later I don't understand a ****ing word of it.
:rofl:

You should start a thread saying "What version of Windows should I use?" if you really want to get the geeks out of the woodwork, that's like a red rag to a bull that is :whistle:

Juju
9th-December-2006, 08:12 PM
You should start a thread saying "What version of Windows should I use?" if you really want to get the geeks out of the woodwork, that's like a red rag to a bull that is :whistle:

I could throw in a few "Dr Who" references, just to make absolutely sure. :D

David Bailey
9th-December-2006, 08:28 PM
I could throw in a few "Dr Who" references, just to make absolutely sure. :D
Just so long as you don't diss Tango :devil:

Juju
9th-December-2006, 08:38 PM
Just so long as you don't diss Tango :devil:

Tango??? :confused: Is that a computer term? :D

(I do love the dance, mind. Never done it, because I'd probably be rubbish at it, but it looks fab.)