PDA

View Full Version : Three nights a week!

ducasi
6th-December-2006, 06:31 PM
From a recent press release, here (http://www.ceroccentral.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=108&Itemid=2)...

Dance-mad Nottingham is set to become the first city in the UK to host three Ceroc evenings per week.

Comments?

Princess Fi
6th-December-2006, 06:35 PM
From a recent press release, here (http://www.ceroccentral.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=108&Itemid=2)...

Comments?

We were there up until a few weeks back in Glasgow??? :confused:

(or was Glasgow declared no longer part of the UK? Note to self - make sure my passport is up to date)

Gav
6th-December-2006, 06:36 PM
I'll leave my opinions of whether Norwich is a "real" city or not, but we've had 4 regular nights a week here for some time now and 3 nights a week for years.

I would imagine that a certain capital city has probably had a few nights for a while too. :whistle:

Alice
6th-December-2006, 06:37 PM
Maybe they mean "in the same venue"??

Very badly worded, even if what it claims is true:what:

Magic Hans
6th-December-2006, 06:40 PM
It's been done .... three times .... failed each time!!

[Twice at Marcus Garvey, and once at TGI Fridays ... or somewhere, in town]

Unless there are trying something significantly different [.... or putting more time, effort and money into it], it'll fail again.

Incidentally, Nottingham has another two nights (Tuesday and Sunday) organised by another organisation.

I, personally, wouldn't hold much hope .... maybe it's just cynicism!!

!an

Princess Fi
6th-December-2006, 06:40 PM

*pictures a venue built entierly for the purposes of holding Ceroc every night*

coooooool :drool:

ducasi
6th-December-2006, 06:52 PM

Very badly worded, even if what it claims is true:what:
Nope – if you read the article or this (http://www.ceroccentral.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=114&Itemid=2), you'll see it's only the same venue for two nights of the week.

ducasi
6th-December-2006, 06:54 PM
We were there up until a few weeks back in Glasgow??? :confused:

(or was Glasgow declared no longer part of the UK? Note to self - make sure my passport is up to date)
Yup, and Aberdeen, and Edinburgh.

Hopefully Glasgow will be back to three nights a week soon. Maybe using the Utopia concept for a class night? Or maybe that's just wishful thinking...

David Bailey
6th-December-2006, 06:55 PM
Ceroc Central... :rolleyes:

I would imagine that a certain capital city has probably had a few nights for a while too. :whistle:
I think London has at least 3 nights a night, every night, at least Monday-Friday.

Ceroc was doing 4 nights a week in London, at the same venue (Central Club), 15+ years ago, so even then that's wrong.

Although I don't believe there are any London venues doing more than 2 nights a week at the moment.

*pictures a venue built entierly for the purposes of holding Ceroc every night*
What, with bounce-resistant flooring you mean? :na:

Princess Fi
6th-December-2006, 06:58 PM
What, with bounce-resistant flooring you mean? :na:

Oh sorry, forgot to mention said venue was in Scotland - no 'bounce-proofing' required :na:

DavidY
6th-December-2006, 09:16 PM
I think London has at least 3 nights a night, every night, at least Monday-Friday.So that's more than three. Which isn't three.

The press release doesn't say it's the first city to hold "three or more" Ceroc evenings a week, just that it's the first city to hold three.:whistle:

(Although, unless the number of venues in London jumped straight from 2 to 4, it seems terribly likely that there must have been 3 venues at some point in the past).

Thea
6th-December-2006, 09:21 PM
I seem to be missing something….:what: In the UK how many times a week do classes/freestyle run in average in each city?

The fact that one city is running 3 ceroc nights a week and that’s a big deal seems odd to me – I attend the same venue Monday, Wednesday, Friday nights and Sunday afternoon for classes and freestyle. That’s just at lorne street. I could go on Tuesdays and Thursday’s in Pukekohe or Papakura…..
<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
What sort of venues are your events held at??

David Bailey
6th-December-2006, 09:28 PM
The fact that one city is running 3 ceroc nights a week and that’s a big deal seems odd to me
It's not a big deal - that's the point. God only knows who wrote that press release, but it's wildly inaccurate.

As a rough estimate (and it depends how you define "London"), London has at least 25 Ceroc nights a week at the moment.

So that's more than three. Which isn't three.
Listen, you viscous pendant, I said "at least", not "more than". So :na:

DavidY
6th-December-2006, 09:40 PM
Listen, you viscous pendant, I said "at least", not "more than". So :na:Yes but "at least 3 nights per night" is still more than "3 per week" which is the figure being claimed. :na: :whistle:

TheTramp
6th-December-2006, 09:49 PM
But Aberdeen does have exactly 3. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out.

Genie
6th-December-2006, 10:44 PM
.....Five is right out.

Which is a shame, really

:rofl:

spindr
6th-December-2006, 11:04 PM
A quick count of the MJ venues that I've added on http://www.afterfive.co.uk/maps/Modern_Jive-links.html reveals 427 unique UK venues (although some of them are only occasional).

SpinDr

Freya
6th-December-2006, 11:51 PM
A quick count of the MJ venues that I've added on http://www.afterfive.co.uk/maps/Modern_Jive-links.html reveals 427 unique UK venues (although some of them are only occasional).

SpinDr

Hey where's our yellow balloon in Aberdeen???? Wednesday night!!!!

spindr
8th-December-2006, 02:34 AM
Hey where's our yellow balloon in Aberdeen???? Wednesday night!!!!
You just need to zoom in a bit :)
Hopefully it's vaguely in the right location.
SpinDr

Freya
8th-December-2006, 11:55 AM
You just need to zoom in a bit :)
Hopefully it's vaguely in the right location.
SpinDr

The Yellow one is but the Green one aint! It's now in the same place as the Yellow!

Not sure what the Grey ballon is supposed to be either! :wink:

TheTramp
8th-December-2006, 12:00 PM
Not sure what the Grey ballon is supposed to be either! :wink:

Irregular events. Like parties.....

Freya
8th-December-2006, 12:01 PM
Irregular events. Like parties.....

Yeah but look where it is? If it's supposed to be the douglas hotel or the station hotel its too far south! It's down past the train station in the Docks!

TheTramp
8th-December-2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah but look where it is? If it's supposed to be the douglas hotel or the station hotel its too far south! It's down past the train station in the Docks!

It's supposed to be the Ramada Jarvis - if you click on the balloon, it gives you details.

I think that it's probably close enough though. As SpinDr says. Vaguely in the right location.

It's pretty impressive that he's actually managed to do as well as he has I think. :worthy:

Freya
8th-December-2006, 12:08 PM
It's supposed to be the Ramada Jarvis - if you click on the balloon, it gives you details.

I think that it's probably close enough though. As SpinDr says. Vaguely in the right location.

It's pretty impressive that he's actually managed to do as well as he has I think. :worthy:

Totally I'm just being nitpicky! :wink: Although the station hotel is in the totally wrong place!

killingtime
8th-December-2006, 01:23 PM
It's not a big deal - that's the point. God only knows who wrote that press release, but it's wildly inaccurate.

Yeah, it does. I mean sometimes you see that careful selection of wording like "The Worlds First Internet Only Bank!" which doesn't say it is the only one just it was the first one. But as it looks like they are only moving to three nights a week now then that isn't true.

Humm... maybe they mean "Dance-mad Nottingham is set to become the first city in the UK, called 'Nottingham', to host three Ceroc evenings per week".

Lee Bartholomew
10th-December-2006, 09:39 AM
Here in my little town of Bexhill we have 3 MJ nights a week. This is a town that is about an 8th the size of Nottingham.

David Bailey
10th-December-2006, 02:49 PM
I've just re-read it to try and see if there's any possibility of a mis-understanding, and it seems clear... Wrong, but clear.

I even saw this classic line:

when special freestyle nights are held, Nottingham will sometimes stage an amazing four nights of this addictive dance style in a single week!
Well, I'm amazed, I dunno about the rest of you.

Giving Ceroc Central a massive benefit-of-the-doubt allowance, possibly they meant to say that, for the first time in recorded history, Nottingham will be running three nights Ceroc a week (or sometimes even an amazing four nights).

So perhaps it's just, ahem, poorly-worded, rather than outright disinformation.

Lee Bartholomew
10th-December-2006, 03:01 PM
That or it's by someone who lives in Nottingham and hasn't travelled further than Derby.

ducasi
10th-December-2006, 05:19 PM
Giving Ceroc Central a massive benefit-of-the-doubt allowance, possibly they meant to say that, for the first time in recorded history, Nottingham will be running three nights Ceroc a week (or sometimes even an amazing four nights).

So perhaps it's just, ahem, poorly-worded, rather than outright disinformation.
I'd say the phrase "the first city in the UK" sort-of knocks that possibility on the head.

Oh, and according to Magic Hans, it's not even the first time in Nottingham.