PDA

View Full Version : Deleting attachments

Yogi_Bear
6th-December-2006, 12:48 AM
I made the mistake several months ago of attaching two quite large files to a post and I am now almost up to my limit - so I will have trouble attaching even very small files. I can't find a way to edit my post to remove the attachments, or find any global type edit that will achieve the same end.

How can I get around this?

StokeBloke
6th-December-2006, 01:25 AM
How can I get around this?
There's a very easy work around. Don't upload pictures from your computer to the forum. Instead get a free PhotoBucket (http://photobucket.com) account and put your images there. Now you just link the image in your PhotoBucket space to your post. There's even a way to make slide-shows!

Sounds complicated, but it is hideously simple. It's also free. Photobucket even give you the URL to just paste into the 'attachment' window that pops up on forum messages.

If you need more detailed instructions, mail me ;)

ducasi
6th-December-2006, 01:33 AM
Can you provide a link to the post(s) in question? Then one of the moderators should be able to delete the attachments (I think.) :)

We used to have the ability to delete our old attachments – I don't know why the ability was lost.

Franck
6th-December-2006, 01:43 AM
Can you provide a link to the post(s) in question? Then one of the moderators should be able to delete the attachments (I think.) :)

We used to have the ability to delete our old attachments – I don't know why the ability was lost.I have found the 2 large attachments and shrunk them down to a more reasonable size so you should be able to upload new attachments now :nice:

I would rather not delete old attachments too often as when browsing old threads it's very frustrating if all the pictures discussed have since disappeared!

Another way to upload more attachments is to upgrade to Silver Membership which increases the limit significantly, or to post photos in the Photo Gallery.

Yogi_Bear
6th-December-2006, 09:50 AM
There's a very easy work around. Don't upload pictures from your computer to the forum. Instead get a free PhotoBucket (http://photobucket.com) account and put your images there. Now you just link the image in your PhotoBucket space to your post. There's even a way to make slide-shows!

Sounds complicated, but it is hideously simple. It's also free. Photobucket even give you the URL to just paste into the 'attachment' window that pops up on forum messages.

If you need more detailed instructions, mail me ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, guys.
Franck - I wondered this mrorning why I suddenly had more space - thanks. I will resize all my photos to no more than 40k before posting them in future. I will also look into Ceroc Photos and Photobucket....:cheers:

Beowulf
6th-December-2006, 11:58 AM
I would rather not delete old attachments too often as when browsing old threads it's very frustrating if all the pictures discussed have since disappeared!

Franck removed some attachments for me in the past. But I now host all my images on my own domain and link from there. (Saving Franck a little bandwidth I hope.)

Of course, if I delete my files off the server then the images will not appear regardless of being attached to the forum or not.