PDA

View Full Version : Tango on the NHS

Twirly
4th-December-2006, 02:38 PM
For all you tango-addicts out there, spotted this (http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=27608&in_page_id=34&in_a_source=) in the Metro on the way into work this morning.

So you might be able to get referred by your GP... if you're clinically obese. :rolleyes:

Genie
4th-December-2006, 02:45 PM
Yes, I saw the article on the front page of The Independant in the supermarket yesturday.

Don't believe them. They're all lying. My Gran recently went to the GP with problems with knees and lower spine, and the doctor asked her if she had done any sports when she was younger. My Gran explained that she had danced on a regular basis. The GP then said "Well, what do you expect then." In a tone that said "stupid woman."

They yell at you for not exercising, and then yell at you for exercising. You can't win. They're all hormonal women in disguise.

Lee Bartholomew
4th-December-2006, 02:51 PM
Got the same thing from the doc when I broke my hand doing Martial Arts. Got told it was my fault for doing sport???!!!

Mind the doctor was very very very fat.

Twirly
4th-December-2006, 02:57 PM
Mind the doctor was very very very fat.

I had to laugh - got lectured by my GP about losing weight when I went about my cold the other week* She was twice my size :rofl:

*had been ill for 10 days and guessed I was going to need a certificate before I get told off for wasting GPs time.

Msfab
4th-December-2006, 03:00 PM
I wouldnt say Tango was the most energtic of dances to choose from:confused:

Genie
4th-December-2006, 03:00 PM
I had to laugh - got lectured by my GP about losing weight

And I got lectured about not putting on enough weight. :rolleyes: Like I said, you can't win :yum:

Twirly
4th-December-2006, 03:10 PM
I wouldnt say Tango was the most energtic of dances to choose from:confused:

Well that's what I thought, but only having done a few hours, didn't want to comment. I guess the idea is to get people into doing something gentle to start with. And maybe build it up from there?

I can't help wondering what would happen though if lots of seriously overweight people took up tango and started turning up regularly at classes/events. How would they be received? There's been plenty of comment on this forum about whether fat people will be asked to dance after all - the general consensus of which seems to be that forumites don't generally discrimiante but reckon there are plenty of other people out there who do :rolleyes:

Twirly
4th-December-2006, 03:13 PM
And I got lectured about not putting on enough weight. :rolleyes: Like I said, you can't win :yum:

Yep - used to have a friend with just that problem. I envied her the ability to eat what she liked, she envied me my curves. Neither of us were happy!

Have another friend who is very slim, who eats incredibly healthily, and who is struggling with high cholesterol. She can't win either.:(

Lee Bartholomew
4th-December-2006, 03:13 PM
How would they cope with the dips drops and arials. Reminds me of a class I went to once where I don't think any woman was under 22 stone and they then taught a drop!!!!

Cruella
4th-December-2006, 03:17 PM
How would they cope with the dips drops and arials. Reminds me of a class I went to once where I don't think any woman was under 22 stone and they then taught a drop!!!!

Run now!!!! Whilst you can still use your legs!

(Sorry Tessalicious, they were called for)

Genie
4th-December-2006, 03:17 PM
I think certain dance forms are more adaptable for overweight people than others. I remember my ballet class at Oxford used to have a couple of obese people in it. They were refered there by their GP. Ballet is very good for loosing weight and toning up, but these girls were having real trouble keeping up with the class. They told me they felt uncomfortable trying to do the things we were doing and that their fitness levels couldn't cope with the sudden change and use of muscles they didn't normally use.

Ceroc can be taken quite gently if you so choose and you can keep quite a comfortable distance between you and your parnter. But you can't avoid UCP so easily in something like Tango. So I feel perhaps it's not the best choice for people looking to loose weight comfortably.

I have a very obsese friend who takes tai chi (or something like that) and she says it's benefiting her.

Lee Bartholomew
4th-December-2006, 03:19 PM
Why did the docs not just tell the to diet? Or am I missing something (says whilst eating a pizza)

Twirly
4th-December-2006, 03:21 PM
Why did the docs not just tell the to diet? Or am I missing something (says whilst eating a pizza)

:confused:

Little Monkey
4th-December-2006, 03:24 PM
They yell at you for not exercising, and then yell at you for exercising. You can't win. They're all hormonal women in disguise.

Same reaction I got from my consultant at the hospital when I was referred to neurosurgery with my back. When he asked if I'd done any sports, I listed all the things I used to do until my back became too bad (hillwalking, the odd spot of skiing and kayaking, climbing, dancing, dog walking, swimming etc). He more or less told me that severe back pain was only to be expected after all that.:rolleyes:

After my MRI scan and more examinations, I saw another doctor. He told me to keep active, after giving me a huge list of all the sports I shouldn't be doing! When I asked him for suggestions of what on earth I could do to keep active, after he'd ruled out nearly any sport known to man, he hesitated, and said 'gentle walking'.:sad:

You're right. You just can't win.

PS - you can actually get 3 months free gym membership if you're obese, have a heart condition, or depression (etc) at my local GP surgery. Apparently you can also be referred to things like bellydancing!:D

Genie
4th-December-2006, 03:25 PM
Diet alone doesn't help. Too many people do not know how to safely diet - and the best way to increase someone's metabolism is to turn some of the fat into muscle - which is best done by exercise.

The problem only comes when people throw themselves into more exercise than their body can handle, hurt themselves and then never do it again.

MartinHarper
4th-December-2006, 03:26 PM
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article2035167.ece

Seems it's not proper tango, just a "tango warm down".

David Bailey
4th-December-2006, 03:28 PM
I wouldnt say Tango was the most energtic of dances to choose from
Me neither - in fact, I dunno if (Argentinian) Tango is good at all from an exercising point of view. It develops balance and posture, of course, but there's also lots of twisting etc. - I reckon either salsa or MJ would be better from a "general exercise" point of view.

Seems it's not proper tango, just a "tango warm down".
Uh-huh. I'd love to see how that works... :rolleyes:

Is tango the new salsa now?

Gav
4th-December-2006, 03:54 PM
Local radio around here (Norfolk) suggested it would be 'Street' dancing.
Does that mean putting a hat on the pavement for people to toss coppers into while you hop around a bit? :D

Msfab
4th-December-2006, 07:38 PM

Thats a very naive comment!(IMHO) Dieting alone is not going aid long term weight loss. You need to get your metabolism up and burn more energy than you take in, ie Activity!

Hey isnt there a thread especially for woodface to post?:whistle:

MartinHarper
4th-December-2006, 07:56 PM
Local radio around here (Norfolk) suggested it would be 'Street' dancing.
Does that mean putting a hat on the pavement for people to toss coppers into while you hop around a bit? :D

Street dance is a pretty wide category, and I'm not sure exactly what is meant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_dance

Fun fact: some say that Ceroc is a street dance.

JiveLad
5th-December-2006, 09:31 AM
Tango on the NHS?

.......but I thought the government was trying to reduce consumption of fizzy drinks??

Genie
5th-December-2006, 09:35 AM
No, alcohol dear, not appletise.

Could someone define 'street dancing' for me?

MartinHarper
5th-December-2006, 09:50 AM
Could someone define 'street dancing' for me?

Any dance that evolved outside of dance studios, or more specifically various forms of hip-hop and urban dance.

JiveLad
5th-December-2006, 09:50 AM
See the explanation of Street Dancing at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_dance

At a recent Ceroc lesson, the teacher taught a routine which included what he desribed as some street dance moves at the end. Looked good when they did it on stage - but nobody really got it.

PS - Tango is a sweet fizzy drink, which may soon be banned in schools - isn't that the plan in Scotland??