PDA

View Full Version : Robert Austin and Claire Hilliard

Spin dryer
30th-November-2006, 01:02 AM
Does anyone know what these guys are up to now? Robert had the first ever ceroc franchise, in Oxford. He then went his own way and set up jive nights under the "Le Jive" banner. As I recall, he also used to run a Sunday night at the 100 Club for a while.

spindr
30th-November-2006, 02:38 AM
Could this (http://www.londonswingcats.com/about.htm) be them?
SpinDr

Minnie M
30th-November-2006, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know what these guys are up to now? Robert had the first ever ceroc franchise, in Oxford. He then went his own way and set up jive nights under the "Le Jive" banner. As I recall, he also used to run a Sunday night at the 100 Club for a while.

I had lunch with them this weekend - and they are alive happy and doing lots and dancing really really well - they are TOTALLY into the *Dean Collins style of swing (which is great) and are available for workshops (which are excellant)

*Dean Collins Lindy/swing - is a cross between Lindy hop and WCS - it is smooth, you dance it in a slot, no choreographed moves, you don't have your bum sticking out, more like the stuff the GI's did in the war. And the music you dance to is faster RnB (100 to 180 bpm - I think that is right) certainly not Lindy speed. It is definitely more about the music than moves and that is what Robert & Claire preach :respect:

Cruella
30th-November-2006, 09:29 AM
I had lunch with them this weekend

Name dropper. :whistle: I had a drink with Robert, at the Marconi Club in Chelmsford in 1998. :D (I know, not nearly as impressive):wink:

Minnie M
30th-November-2006, 07:30 PM
Name dropper. :whistle: I had a drink with Robert, at the Marconi Club in Chelmsford in 1998. :D (I know, not nearly as impressive):wink:
:rofl:
Doesn't feel like name dropping, they are no more special than Viktor or Nigel Anderson etc., just a different dance scene

Cruella
30th-November-2006, 07:34 PM
:rofl:
, they are no more special than Viktor or Nigel Anderson etc

You did it again!! :rolleyes:

Minnie M
30th-November-2006, 07:39 PM
You did it again!! :rolleyes:
:confused: everyone knows Nigel & Viktor - they are both so approachable :flower: or am I being naive :innocent:

Spin dryer
30th-November-2006, 08:53 PM
Many thanks for the helpful responses Spindr and Minnie M. Yes, they are the Robert and Claire I used to know from Conway Hall days many years ago. I'd noticed the likeness in the Elvis video without it clicking that it was them.