PDA

View Full Version : Cogitation on the dance floor.

Spin dryer
30th-November-2006, 12:30 AM
What do you think about when you are dancing?

Jhutch
30th-November-2006, 12:37 AM
Dancing:grin: I have to concentrate as much as i can:blush:

TheTramp
30th-November-2006, 12:59 AM
The music :D

ducasi
30th-November-2006, 01:09 AM
This really should have been a public poll!

But good work anyway! :respect:

Frankie_4711
30th-November-2006, 08:48 AM
All sorts of things buzz through my head, dependant upon the exact situation/who I'm dancing with etc

Minnie M
30th-November-2006, 08:56 AM
The music :D
:yeah: :rolleyes:
how can you dance well without listening to the music

Beowulf
30th-November-2006, 08:59 AM
Good Poll ;)

I think about the next move.. and the next move.. and the next one.. and the one after that..

I also think about my partner, the music, the floor, where I am and where I'm going and if there's a break coming up. Basically when I dance my mind is busily thinking about everything and nothing at the same time :)

Hmm.. I feel like an appropriate Star Trek Quote now

Jenna: What were you just thinking?
Data: In that particular moment, I was reconfiguring the warp field parameters, analyzing the collected works of Charles Dickens, calculating the maximum pressure I could safely apply to your lips, considering a new food supplement for Spot...
Jenna: I'm glad I was in there somewhere.

David Bailey
30th-November-2006, 09:21 AM
Where's the "Thinking about what to have for my next meal" option?

Beowulf
30th-November-2006, 10:33 AM

So are you saying instead of dancing to the beat of the music you're dancing to the Bossa nova rhythm of the grumbling of your stomach ? :wink:

LMC
30th-November-2006, 10:40 AM
This week, I shall be mostly thinking about following the lead.

Wuzzle
30th-November-2006, 10:55 AM
Since am a beginner i try to think about the next move, to smile once in a while. (I can look grumpy) and hoping that the next move i do isnt the repeated yoyo :blush:. Also if the lady am dacing with is having a nice time.

Though i guess it depends on who your dancing with. I found a few that intimidate me. A few that make my mind go into neutral. I get distracted to easily... woooo shinny :). Wow someone where is doing a really cool mo..v oh which move was i on... oh help.... damn yoyo

Possibly why my mind runs in circles at the end of the night when it should be trying to sleep. Need to concentrate, multitask and still remember to breathe....

Beowulf
30th-November-2006, 11:06 AM
hoping that the next move i do isn't the repeated yoyo :blush:.

hehe.. yes, I have problems with my YoYo's too. And I see you're in Aberdeen as well, we'll just have to ensure we don't take the same partner one after the other. Don't want to overburden them with YoYo's now do we?

(Darn those sneaky right handed moves. once you get into them they're a real pain to get out of. What really annoys me (about myself that is) that I'll get from a right handed move and segue into a left handed hold and think "aha!" , put the follower into a spin.. .. then catch right!! D'OH !! )

Lee Bartholomew
30th-November-2006, 12:21 PM
I once found myself thinking about smurfs :confused:

Gav
30th-November-2006, 12:25 PM
Last time I cogitated on the dance floor, I was sooo embarrassed. It's OK though, I managed to clean it all up before anyone slipped on it :D

David Bailey
30th-November-2006, 12:39 PM
So are you saying instead of dancing to the beat of the music you're dancing to the Bossa nova rhythm of the grumbling of your stomach ? :wink:
Ah, I was wondering what that rhythmic sound was.

Trouble
30th-November-2006, 03:58 PM

thats why you have that hungry look everytime you dance with me then

I once found myself thinking about smurfs :confused:

dont want to look into that any further

What do you think about when you are dancing?

i often think, must not fart, must not fart, must not fart, but thats generally when i have eaten beans for lunch. :D

if that doesn't work i often think,, need to get away, need to get away and wheres the bloody dog when you need him. (well need to blame somebody):D

JUST KIDDING

I always 90% of the time think, hope my partner is enjoying this.

SnowWhite
30th-November-2006, 04:02 PM
Think? :confused:

While I'm dancing? :confused:

Now there's a novel idea!

Ghost
30th-November-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm a leaf on the wind....

:)

Shodan
30th-November-2006, 04:42 PM
Many different things go through my mind. Depends entirely on how I'm feeling and who I'm dancing with.

Quite a lot of my brain thinking time is spacial awareness and watching those around me so I can move my lady inbetween them without causing bumps and crashes.

Trouble
30th-November-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm a leaf on the wind....

:)

:what: :flower:

Gav
30th-November-2006, 04:48 PM
I often wonder if I could spin fast enough to make a whole in the floor, then somehow manoeuvre Trouble to fall into it. :D

Trouble
30th-November-2006, 04:57 PM
I often wonder if I could spin fast enough to make a whole in the floor, then somehow manoeuvre Trouble to fall into it. :D

:hug: i love you..

by the way, do you mean hole. :what:

Gav
30th-November-2006, 05:05 PM

Oh ***, and after the edit time limit has passed too! :sick:

David Bailey
30th-November-2006, 05:19 PM
Oh ***, and after the edit time limit has passed too! :sick:
Whew, good thing you're not in any position of authority in the writing community, that'd be really embarassing, wouldn't it...

Lynn
30th-November-2006, 05:24 PM
All sorts of things buzz through my head, dependant upon the exact situation/who I'm dancing with etc:yeah:

Ideally about the music and how to respond to that and the lead.

In practice there are lots of little things specific to the moment - eg how to avoid crashing into someone if its crowded.

I don't think about other songs, dances or partners when I'm dancing with someone.

I noticed last night a difference as a lead - I'm no longer thinking about 'how do I lead this move' but I'm thinking 'how do I lead this lady'.

Gav
30th-November-2006, 05:27 PM
Whew, good thing you're not in any position of authority in the writing community, that'd be really embarassing, wouldn't it...

Well I won't be for much longer if my inputs into this forum ever become known in the writing community! :sick: :blush:

dave the scaffolder
30th-November-2006, 05:33 PM

You are getting yourself into a whole, or is it hole? lot of trouble here my lovely. Trouble hole whole trouble trouble hole spoon jar jar spoon, sorry went of on one there lack of food doing me in.

Trouble
30th-November-2006, 05:48 PM
You are getting yourself into a whole, or is it hole? lot of trouble here my lovely. Trouble hole whole trouble trouble hole spoon jar jar spoon, sorry went of on one there lack of food doing me in.

somebody pass me the gun...::rolleyes:

Nessiemonster
30th-November-2006, 06:29 PM
When I first started ceroc and went to one of the bigger events I was given a piece of 'advice' by someone who was trying to be helpful. This person told me that I would have to go and ask guys to dance (yep, no probs with that). But also that I should look for my next dance during my current one.

I have to be honest and say that's something I have Never done. It feels totally disrespectful and rude to the person I'm dancing with at that time. When I'm dancing with someone they and the dance have my attention (usually totally undivided, unless Trampy is dancing to Roxanne, and then I think I'm forgiven). I try not to think about anything, rather Feel the connection, the music and the dance.

Spin dryer
30th-November-2006, 08:47 PM
When I first started ceroc and went to one of the bigger events I was given a piece of 'advice' by someone who was trying to be helpful. This person told me that ...... I should look for my next dance during my current one.

I have to be honest and say that's something I have Never done. It feels totally disrespectful and rude to the person I'm dancing with at that time. When I'm dancing with someone they and the dance have my attention .... totally undivided

Couldn't agree more. It's not something that has ever occurred to me.

Trouble
30th-November-2006, 08:49 PM
Couldn't agree more. It's not something that has ever occurred to me.

no your too busy looking out for the ones you can refuse... :na:

Spin dryer
30th-November-2006, 08:55 PM
no your too busy looking out for the ones you can refuse... :na:

Please don't damage my carefully cultivated angelic image!

Trouble
30th-November-2006, 09:00 PM

i would never do that SD aka the refuser. :D :D :D

Lory
30th-November-2006, 09:03 PM
When I first started ceroc and went to one of the bigger events I was given a piece of 'advice' by someone who was trying to be helpful. This person told me that I would have to go and ask guys to dance (yep, no probs with that). But also that I should look for my next dance during my current one.

I'm shocked!:really: There's so many things that's wrong with that, on so many levels, I can hardly think straight

But actually, I feel really sorry for her, as she can't possible get that much out of her dances, to be so lucidly calculated :sad:

I bet as a kid, she used to swallow all her sweets down whole, without tasting them, just incase someone else asked for one! :rofl:

Freya
30th-November-2006, 09:19 PM
It really depends on who I'm dancing with!!!!

Double Trouble
30th-November-2006, 09:51 PM

:rofl: :rofl: angelic :rofl: :rofl:

Nessiemonster
1st-December-2006, 01:11 AM
I'm shocked!:really: There's so many things that's wrong with that, on so many levels, I can hardly think straight

But actually, I feel really sorry for her...

...Actually, it was a guy...

drathzel
1st-December-2006, 07:05 AM
...Actually, it was a guy...

:rolleyes:

I know sometimes if you want to dance with someone and have been trying to grab them all night then you might sometimes check where they are towards the end of a song. Never would i imagine searching for my next dance partner during the dance with the current one. Thats just rude. I would be seriously hurt and offended if someone did that to me and would probably say to them at the end of a dance "thanks and maybe next time you'll dance with me".

Jhutch
1st-December-2006, 09:49 AM
Exactly what i am thinking depends on the level of ability/experience of the person who i am dancing with.* However, the main thoughts that run through every dance are, in no particular order (it will vary from dance to dance anyway),

how the lead-follow thing is going and how i could improve things if we don't seem to be matching each other
whether i should try out a specific move on the person who i am dancing with (having learnt quite a lot of moves recently i am eager to try them out as often as possible but, if i am not sure about how well i can lead them in freestyle, then i normally try them out on the more able/experienced dancers first. If they can't follow them then what chance have the less able/experienced ones got:confused: This hasn't stopped me though if i think the music suits the move:blush: )
if something goes wrong, trying to think whose 'fault' it was and whether i should try that move again in the same dance
the state of the dance floor and trying to avoid other people
whether the follower is enjoying the dance or not and trying to work out why she isn't if she doesn't appear to be
what moves i should do depending on what the music is like
trying to keep to the beatAnd then people wonder why i look as though i am concentrating and not smiling enough:grin:

On a separate note, one thing that surprised me when i started doing ceroc was, when one song went quiet, how much people talked while dancing:really: I thought that just dancing by itself was enough to contend with! Am now able to do this myself, so i must have improved a bit:clap: What do people talk about while dancing though? I just talk about dance-specific issues such as, 'no-one else knows what i am trying to do there either'

*ie, if a move goes wrong then i normally assume that it was my fault if a 'good' follower couldn't follow it (although i know they are not perfect)

Wouldbe
3rd-December-2006, 12:00 PM

Wow. That is advanced creative thinking. What an unwholly... unholey?... unholy thought! That's of the same school of thought as "I wonder what my partner looks like naked" and "What would I include in my repertoire of moves if the DJ played the Macarena next?" Personally I never have time to contemplate such trivia!:rolleyes:

In practice there are lots of little things specific to the moment - eg how to avoid crashing into someone if its crowded.

:yeah: OMG. I'm very conscious about this one. "How can I possibly pull off that hitch kick/equivalent if that P-I-T-A couple in front/behind has already managed three times to remove the outer layers of skin off my shins?!" I hate having to worry about space. I'm just selfish I guess!

:rolleyes:

I know sometimes if you want to dance with someone and have been trying to grab them all night then you might sometimes check where they are towards the end of a song.

Ah, well at least you can combine the above two thoughts into one moment so as not to appear too rude to your partner. "As I manoeuvre my partner to execute my grande finale - hmmm.... simple lean, seducer, floor sweep? - can I get close enough to X to stop her from being grabbed by Y before I get a chance to dance?"!