PDA

View Full Version : Christmas parties - worth the extra?

Gus
29th-November-2006, 12:30 AM
At a freestyle at the weekend a dancer I knew picked up a flyer for a Xmas freestyle I'm DJing at. His first reaction was to have a go at me at the price, £3 more than the usual. His view was the club was just skimming. Took me a while to explain the additional price was due to all the 'extras' being provided. At that he seemed to think it was more than a fair price ... but it got me thinking. A few years ago there was a thread that had a go at Ashtons charging serious bucks for their Xmas do ... but when you look at what was provided it sounded a good deal.

So I was wondering ... given that most operators do charge a premuim at Xmas, do they provide something to justify the additional cost .. or is it just more of the same and they are making a quick buck?

David Bailey
29th-November-2006, 09:19 AM
There was (not surprisingly) a thread on this subject last year - "Value for money (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7215)"

Some people were quite worked-up at the £30 charged for last year's NYE bash at Ealing, for example.

My take is, MJ is so cheap anyway, £30 for NYE, or an extra tenner for Xmas balls, is hardly onerous. No one forces you to go, and compared to the extortionate prices pubs and clubs charge, the MJ price rises are still a bargain.

Magic Hans
29th-November-2006, 11:13 AM
[Of course, there's always the supply and demand thing.

ie 'Don't go if you don't want to, the event'll be overbooked anyway!'

And as DJ says, being a once a year thing, it'll not be breaking the bank!

Try and find an event that gets cheaper around Christmas. I'm sure there's one ... out there ... somewhere!!!

Ian

drathzel
29th-November-2006, 04:23 PM
our christmas party is £8 which is £3 dearer than a regular freestyle, but only because it is a charity event and we want to raise as much as possible for PBC

TheTramp
29th-November-2006, 05:12 PM
our christmas party is £8 which is £3 dearer than a regular freestyle, but only because it is a charity event and we want to raise as much as possible for PBC

But, for an extra £3, you could have at least got a decent DJ in eh! :wink:

TheTramp
29th-November-2006, 05:49 PM
So I was wondering ... given that most operators do charge a premuim at Xmas, do they provide something to justify the additional cost .. or is it just more of the same and they are making a quick buck?

Of course, and I don't know if it is the case, but it might be that the venue costs double to hire or something at Christmas.

You might say that maybe the organiser should take that cost themselves, but I don't necessarily see why.....

drathzel
29th-November-2006, 06:54 PM
But, for an extra £3, you could have at least got a decent DJ in eh! :wink:

i did...well anyone is better than me! although i did get a compliment from two visiting dancers on thursday night that my music was fab better than their local venue!

Gus
29th-November-2006, 09:28 PM
Of course, and I don't know if it is the case, but it might be that the venue costs double to hire or something at Christmas.

You might say that maybe the organiser should take that cost themselves, but I don't necessarily see why.....Except for New Years eve most venues cost the same. One could argue that the additional profits made at Xmas help to make a fair few venues viable but covering the losses made for the rest of the year .... rather like some retail operations.

jivecat
7th-December-2006, 01:42 AM
Perhaps we should all go up to Scotland for the American Smooth Ball -a snip at only £11, rather than the £15 minimum for anything decent down South.

But no doubt hall rental is much, much cheaper North of the border.:whistle:

TheTramp
7th-December-2006, 02:35 AM
Perhaps we should all go up to Scotland for the American Smooth Ball

I think that you should. 2 rooms. Tiggerbabe in the main hall, me in the blues room.

It's going to be a fab night! :clap:

Tiggerbabe
7th-December-2006, 10:21 AM
Perhaps we should all go up to Scotland for the American Smooth Ball -a snip at only £11, rather than the £15 minimum for anything decent down South.

But no doubt hall rental is much, much cheaper North of the border.:whistle:
Sounds like a great idea to me, but you'd better get in there quick before all the tickets are sold. :D The Albert Hall is a fabulous venue and second only to the Beach Ballroom IMHO :hug:

Freya
7th-December-2006, 10:47 AM
I think that you should. 2 rooms. Tiggerbabe in the main hall, me in the blues room.

It's going to be a fab night! :clap:

Sounds like a great idea to me, but you'd better get in there quick before all the tickets are sold. :D The Albert Hall is a fabulous venue and second only to the Beach Ballroom IMHO :hug:

It is gonna be a Fab Night! I'm Trying to get there but don't know when I'm working or who's going down fro,m aberdeen at the moment! I'm worried it's all gonna be sold out! :eek: