PDA

View Full Version : Dancing on Video/DVD

Jon
1st-June-2003, 02:02 PM
I was wondering what films or performances people have on video or dvd that you love to watch. Have any of them inspired you?

My list is:

Burn The Floor
44 of the worlds best ballroom and latin dancers in this perfromance. Fantastic to watch it's given me some ideas for moves just wish I could see it performed live.

Dance with Me
Nice film to watch with some really good dancing in it. Similar to strickly ballroom but with more of a latin dance feel. Great club dance scene with everyone swapping partners.

Center Stage
Good film if you like ballet, but contains some salsa too.

Blast From the Past
1 dance scene in the film but a good one.

Anyone have any others?

Tiggerbabe
1st-June-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Jon

Burn The Floor
44 of the worlds best ballroom and latin dancers in this perfromance. Fantastic to watch it's given me some ideas for moves just wish I could see it performed live.

Anyone have any others?

Just love "Burn The Floor" Jon - doesn't everyone?

the Tango scene in "Moulin Rouge" has to be another favourite :D and I still like to watch "Dirty Dancing" every now and then.

bigdjiver
1st-June-2003, 05:27 PM
I love the swing scene in "Cannery row", short as it is.

DavidB
1st-June-2003, 06:55 PM
For lifts, the best I've ever seen is a collection of clips of Francois Szony. He appeared in numerous films in the '30s, and basically invented virtually every lift you see today.

Chicklet
2nd-June-2003, 08:57 AM
They should have filmed more of their feet but the competition scene in Shag with the hero and heroine dancing to Stagger Lee is a great 3 mins of feelgood viewing

C

SwingSwingSwing
2nd-June-2003, 02:48 PM
From a Lindy Hop perspective there are plenty of films.

Hellzapoppin' - Simply fantastic piece with Whitey's Lindy Hoppers

A Day At The Races - Whitey's again

Buck Privates - Abott and Costello's first movie with great dancing by Dean Collins and Jewel McGowan.

These are my 'inspirational' films. There's tonnes more films with Lindy in them but these three are my favourites.

SwingSwingSwing

DavidY
3rd-June-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by SwingSwingSwing
A Day At The Races - Whitey's again
[/B]

Strangely enough I saw this completely by chance last weekend. I was taking a break from dancing at the Pwllheli weekend, switched TV on, found a random channel - which was showing A Day at the Races - and a bit later saw this highly impressive routine.

David

Dance Demon
4th-June-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
Strangely enough I saw this completely by chance last weekend. I was taking a break from dancing at the Pwllheli weekend,

David

What!!:what: you managed to take a break?:wink:
It was nice to meet you David...and Irene says thanx for the lovely dances:cheers:

DavidY
4th-June-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
What!!:what: you managed to take a break?:wink:
It was nice to meet you David...and Irene says thanx for the lovely dances:cheers:
Yep - I'm afraid I had to stop to eat at that point.

Good to meet you too (& all the other lovely Scots folk :hug: )

David