PDA

View Full Version : (men) multiple spinning and spotting

Lee Bartholomew
21st-November-2006, 07:10 PM
It's not just girls that double plus spin.

My official record is seven, but I am pretty sure I have beaten that.

Will try some pointers:

You need the right shoes. Dance trainers just don't cut it. Get dance shoes.

You need to keep your head up.

Don't try and spot. Works for some, not for most.

Slightly bent knee

On the ball of one foot.

Have confidance. (once you throw yourself in to it with force, there is no stopping)

Keep arms in. I recomend bringing fists to shoulders.

Practise.

The biggest problem is doing it without travelling. Also you need the right floor. Northfleet is great for it.

hope that is of some help

Clueless
21st-November-2006, 07:41 PM

Will try some pointers:

Slightly bent knee

On the ball of one foot.

Have confidance. (once you throw yourself in to it with force, there is no stopping)

Practise.

The biggest problem is doing it without travelling. Also you need the right floor. Northfleet is great for it.

Practice practice I get ya! In Aberdeen I dance in Jumpin jacks and the floor is ok (ish) how Lisa pulls of her whirl-wind is beyond me and I may have to invest in a proper pair of dancing shoes if I am going to have any hope of pulling off more double spins etc.

Thanks for the advice :D

Lee Bartholomew
21st-November-2006, 07:47 PM
Practice practice I get ya! In Aberdeen I dance in Jumpin jacks and the floor is ok (ish) how Lisa pulls of her whirl-wind is beyond me and I may have to invest in a proper pair of dancing shoes if I am going to have any hope of pulling off more double spins etc.

Thanks for the advice :D

I practice all the time. Spare 5 mins? on with the shoes on to the lamanate floor. It's all you can do really. You will eventually find your own way of doing it. In theory, men should be able to spin better than women due to the shape of their body. It's just that, in general, we don't bother trying.

TheTramp
22nd-November-2006, 01:24 AM

I've done seven a few times. Can usually do 3-5 quite easily.

Though, I use £5 trainers from Tesco to dance in :whistle:

Andy McGregor
22nd-November-2006, 03:04 AM

Will try some pointers:

Slightly bent knee

On the ball of one foot.

Practise.

hope that is of some helpIt's great that we have another expert on the forum.

This post raises an important question. How do we know when someone is giving the correct advice?

Obviously Woodface is good as he has recorded 7 spins at an office that records spins - and has obviously done more than 7 but those weren't recorded by the office. I can't wait to hear where this office is, I've done a double spin and I'd like it recorded too - obviously it was only two spins, but I got all the way round twice, if I hadn't spotted it could obviously have been more. I could probably repeat my spins, I'm going to find out where Northfleet is and try my spins there. Is it near the office that records spins?

One question I've got is what your partner does while you're doing your 7 plus spins? I suppose she applauds.

I have been taught to spin by Nina Daines but what did she know? She was wearing dance trainers...

..so was I - I didn't know any better at that time :tears:

In theory, men should be able to spin better than women due to the shape of their body. It's just that, in general, we don't bother trying.I'm confused by this one. I've always thought that a body had to be symmetrical to spin properly on the spot. Most women I know are symmetrical. Whereas guys usually dress to one side or the other. Is this a problem or do I need to adjust my dress?

Should I post the above? I can't be sure but I've done it anyway, he started it:whistle:

MartinHarper
22nd-November-2006, 03:50 AM
I use £5 trainers from Tesco to dance in :whistle:

With original £5 rubber soles?

David Bailey
22nd-November-2006, 09:47 AM
It's great that we have another expert on the forum.
{ snip }
Oh, stop being so grumpy, Andy McNameDropper.

How about sharing some actual ideas, or at least constructively critiqueing Woodface's comments, huh?

SeriouslyAddicted
22nd-November-2006, 09:50 AM
One question I've got is what your partner does while you're doing your 7 plus spins? I suppose she applauds.

Hell no - she keeps her distance - We all know what damage a spinning woodface can do :whistle:

Andy McGregor
22nd-November-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh, stop being so grumpy, Andy McNameDropper.

How about sharing some actual ideas, or at least constructively critiqueing Woodface's comments, huh?Hey, there were another 400 people in that spinning class. It wasn't just me and Nina.

And on the subject of being constructive, my advice is to go and get some spinning tuition if you'd like to spin better. Is that constructive enough?

Andy McGregor
22nd-November-2006, 11:03 AM
Hell no - she keeps her distance - We all know what damage a spinning woodface can do :whistle:I suppse there's the danger of splinters:whistle:

TheTramp
22nd-November-2006, 11:53 AM
Hell no - she keeps her distance

How far? I suppose you could just go off and have a bit of a dance with someone else until he's finished.... :rolleyes:

TheTramp
22nd-November-2006, 11:54 AM
With original £5 rubber soles?

Uh huh. I'm far too cheap (or was that broke?) to put any other type of sole on them....

Jamie
22nd-November-2006, 01:36 PM
Well if u need some cash trampy, I'll buy them funky pants off ya for 2 quid, ur too old for em n e ways :yum:

Clueless
22nd-November-2006, 01:46 PM
Well if u need some cash trampy, I'll buy them funky pants off ya for 2 quid, ur too old for em n e ways :yum:

No Chance those trousers with the chains on are the best. Worth at least £2.50 :na:

Where do you get them from Tramp?

TheTramp
22nd-November-2006, 02:56 PM
No Chance those trousers with the chains on are the best. Worth at least £2.50 :na:

I could tell you. But then I'd have to kill you!

Clueless
22nd-November-2006, 03:23 PM
I could tell you. But then I'd have to kill you!

:rofl:

Andy McGregor
22nd-November-2006, 06:19 PM
Where do you get them from Tramp?I know the answer to this one. I'll keep quiet for £2.49:innocent:

Jamie
22nd-November-2006, 06:21 PM
Tell me!!! I'll make them look good :wink:

Clueless
22nd-November-2006, 06:27 PM

*Slips Andy McGregor £5 for the answer* :whistle:

Genie
22nd-November-2006, 06:41 PM

Favourite pair of jeans and a trip to B&Q.

TheTramp
22nd-November-2006, 07:25 PM

Man. You so almost got negative rep for that comment! :whistle:

Andy McGregor
22nd-November-2006, 09:44 PM
*Slips Andy McGregor £5 for the answer* :whistle:For that price you get a clue - any pretty boys would have difficulty getting out of the shop wearing the trousers they'd put on that morning - the Tramp was quite safe :innocent:

MartinHarper
23rd-November-2006, 01:31 AM
I have been taught to spin by Nina Daines but what did she know?

I recall doing a similar class. Towards the end, Nina made a similar claim to what woodface said - that men have the potential to out-spin women due to their lack of breasts. Presumably that would also mean that women with smaller breasts should be better spinners. I can't say I'm entirely convinced.

Andy McGregor
23rd-November-2006, 02:20 AM
I recall doing a similar class. Towards the end, Nina made a similar claim to what woodface said - that men have the potential to out-spin women due to their lack of breasts. Presumably that would also mean that women with smaller breasts should be better spinners. I can't say I'm entirely convinced.Maybe larger breasted women have more trouble if they're not wearing a supportive undergarment. I know when I dance in a kilt it's really difficult to stop from a multiple spin as your heavy kilt overtakes you when you stop and puts you off balance - this must be even more difficult if the extra un-sprung weight is above the centre of gravity:what:

Lee Bartholomew
23rd-November-2006, 09:47 AM

Will try some pointers:

Slightly bent knee

On the ball of one foot.

Practise.

Some one has neg repped me saying this is bad advise. How can it be if it works for me!!!!!

Not saying this is what you have to do to be able to do multi spins but if you read it and then adapt to what suits you, you will be in a better place than when you started.

With regards to what the girl does when you are doing multi spins, if you are dancing with a slow spinner, you can normally put four or so in by the time they have done their one or two. Other than that, she can do what she wants. Us men don't have 100% control over women :whistle:.

Not standing too close is a good idea. :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whis tle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

David Bailey
23rd-November-2006, 09:49 AM
Maybe larger breasted women have more trouble if they're not wearing a supportive undergarment.
Maybe this should be the subject of detailed and rigorous comparative studies? Go on then, twist my arm, I'll volunteer to take one for the team.

SeriouslyAddicted
23rd-November-2006, 09:53 AM
Not standing too close is a good idea. :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whis tle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

:yeah: :na:

Lee Bartholomew
23rd-November-2006, 11:24 AM
Just started getting in to dancing as a follow.

Got some very strange looks when dancing with another male last night. Swapping roles several times during the dance. Din;t think people could work out who was lead who was follow.

Im really not helping to protest my straightness am I.

TurboTomato
23rd-November-2006, 11:33 AM
I danced as a follower a couple of times last night and must admit I struggled a bit :blush:

Lee Bartholomew
23rd-November-2006, 11:43 AM
I danced as a follower a couple of times last night and must admit I struggled a bit :blush:

role swapping is harder than it seems. I am finding it easier though. was more relaxed with it last night. Think thats the secret. relaxing.

I found day dreaming helps (no offence SA). Is that what you women do?

Would be handy to have some follow tips from the girls. Any out there? :D

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 12:11 PM

What? Follow tips, or girls?

Lee Bartholomew
23rd-November-2006, 12:13 PM
What? Follow tips, or girls?

Both :grin:

Jamie
23rd-November-2006, 01:03 PM

some of the best follows I've seen are guys.. :whistle:

Cruella
23rd-November-2006, 01:48 PM
Maybe this should be the subject of detailed and rigorous comparative studies? Go on then, twist my arm, I'll volunteer to take one for the team.

If you ask me first, i'll be your case study. :wink:

ducasi
25th-November-2006, 01:19 PM
Some one has neg repped me saying this is bad advise. How can it be if it works for me!!!!! The only neg-rep I've ever got is because I told people not to bother trying to spot when spinning. Perhaps you have been spotted(!) by the same neg-repper. :rolleyes:

Your advice looks basically sound to me. The only thing that I wonder is *why* I'd want to do a huge number of multiple spins. ;)

Lee Bartholomew
25th-November-2006, 01:25 PM
The only neg-rep I've ever got is because I told people not to bother trying to spot when spinning. Perhaps you have been spotted(!) by the same neg-repper. :rolleyes:

Your advice looks basically sound to me. The only thing that I wonder is *why* I'd want to do a huge number of multiple spins. ;)

It can be adapted to how ever many you want. Would say start with a double and see where you go.

I don't think it is worth spotting, esp when you are doing multi-spins. As I said in the post, works for a few but not for most.

Was poss the same neg-repper, would be interested to hear his / her comments and advice, though doubt that would happen!!!!!

Lee Bartholomew
25th-November-2006, 02:10 PM
Phantom Neg-repper strikes agin. This time 'because he/she is bored with people complaining about his neg-repping' !!!!!

The guy/Girl ob. has a problem with people giving out advice that is not what he/she thinks is right or what he or she agrees with.

Of course they will never let themselves be known publicly.

Now im going to get another neg-rep from them aren't I!!!!!!!

David Bailey
25th-November-2006, 02:14 PM
It can be adapted to how ever many you want. Would say start with a double and see where you go.
One is usually enough for me.

I don't think it is worth spotting, esp when you are doing multi-spins. As I said in the post, works for a few but not for most.
I'm curious - why don't you recommend spotting? I thought that spotting was consensus advice, if only in that it just looks much better?

ducasi
25th-November-2006, 02:19 PM
It can be adapted to how ever many you want. Would say start with a double and see where you go. How many above two or at the most three would you really want?

I can think of two occasions when multiple spins are called for...

To fill to the end of the bar or to a break.
A double spin in double time looks extra flashy where a single spin would fit.

On the second point, unless you can do 3 or more spins in a single beat, then it won't work, and more to the point, it would serve little purpose beyond making you dizzy.

On the first point, how many beats are you willing to spend making your partner look like a lemon just to hit the break? I'd say two is a limit. If I'm leading and put you into a spin 3 beats before a break, chances are I've got something else planned for the next two beats myself.

I suppose if you're really good you'll be able to do maybe 6 spins in those 2 beats, but, still, why??

Are there other times when multiple (unassisted) spins are called for that I'm missing?

Lee Bartholomew
25th-November-2006, 02:22 PM
It all depends on your dance style.

I like doing multi spins as I have a fairly quick style and, well, just because I can.

If you are a slow, bluesy style dancer, then you prob wont want to do more than one.

I said not to spot as most / if not all, off the multi spinners, don't do it. You can't spin with any speed if you spot.

IMO if you do spot, from a style point of view, you have to get it right. I have danced with girls that spot and it can look horrible and they tend to put a pause in between spins.

Spotting used to be recomended but even a local very well respected ballett teacher I was talking to recently said she does't teach her pupils to spot.

The best thing to do, is try both. Try doing a double spin spotting and a double spin without.

My entire point is - It works for some but not for most

Lee Bartholomew
25th-November-2006, 02:24 PM
How many above two or at the most three would you really want?

I can think of two occasions when multiple spins are called for...
To fill to the end of the bar or to a break.
A double spin in double time looks extra flashy where a single spin would fit.On the second point, unless you can do 3 or more spins in a single beat, then it won't work, and more to the point, it would serve little purpose beyond making you dizzy.

On the first point, how many beats are you willing to spend making your partner look like a lemon just to hit the break? I'd say two is a limit. If I'm leading and put you into a spin 3 beats before a break, chances are I've got something else planned for the next two beats myself.

I suppose if you're really good you'll be able to do maybe 6 spins in those 2 beats, but, still, why??

Are there other times when multiple (unassisted) spins are called for that I'm missing?

All depends on the song, if your partner is double spinning as well or if you carry the spins over a whole bar.

Want to do some filming soon. Will try to get some multi spins on cam.

MartinHarper
25th-November-2006, 03:36 PM
The only thing that I wonder is *why* I'd want to do a huge number of multiple spins. ;)

I think it's mostly a learning thing. If you can manage to do five consecutive spins in practice conditions, you can probably do a neat and tidy double spin in freestyle conditions, when your partner pulls you off balance, the floor is uneven, the music is fast, and you've had a pint or two. Some leaders do lead double free spins, and it's good to be able to honour that lead without falling over. Also, there are several common MJ moves with free 1.5 spins.

Having said that, for male follows, I agree that most of us probably shouldn't be planning on multiple unled free spins. Given that a male follow weakness is anticipation/backleading, I don't think it makes much sense for us to practice a form of sabotage for following purposes. Still, it's a handy trick to have as a leader.

----

Re spotting, I went to review the Kevin+Carla Barswingona movie, to see how much Kevin spotted in his free spins. Results:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=3804233447881861652
0:58 - triple spin, spotting.
2:00 - 3.5 spin, no spotting
2:20 - double spin, no spotting
Carla did several "assisted" free spins and didn't spot in any of them that I saw.

Andy McGregor
25th-November-2006, 04:12 PM

Was poss the same neg-repper, would be interested to hear his / her comments and advice, though doubt that would happen!!!!!I was the one who neg-repped woodface for his advice about spinning. I did not give the neg-rep for complaining about receiving neg-rep. However, you will always get more neg-rep for complaining about it. Accept it and move on is what I say.

On the subject of my original neg-rep for the advice about spinning. The advice woodface gave was this;

"Don't try and spot. Works for some, not for most."

This is completely wrong. But it's given with such conviction it sounds like it's the only way to go. Was woodface given this advice by a professionally trained dancer? I don't think so. Every professionally trained dancer that I've had a spinning lesson from has talked about the importance of spotting. Of course you can get away with not spotting, but it's not best practice. The advice/training I've received is that the best practice is to spot - this isn't just for reasons of balance, it's also to do with the relationship with your partner during the dance.

Genie
25th-November-2006, 04:17 PM
I would say "try to spot" and if you fall over "practice or leave it, your choice".

I spot, but I have some classical training, so I don't actually think about it.

Lee Bartholomew
25th-November-2006, 04:28 PM
Should you spot?

My pointers on spinning were just that, pointers.

I don't spot. Loads of other multi spinners don't spot.

OK. If I do 6-7 spins in a bar or breakdown. Is it really accetpet that I would be able to whip my head around in that short a time? I would seroiusly damage my neck. Also Spotting throws me off balance.

Every teacher I know (with the exception of 1) and this includes a local well respected ballett teacher, would say spotting is up to you.

Yes sometimes it does look better when a follow or lead spot. Othertimes it throws it all out completely.

OK next argument. Why would you want to do multi spins?

Because done right and in time it looks good. I get alot of pos comments on my spinning ability athought sometimes it does go wrong !.

what does the woman do during this time? What ever she wants. My regular dance partners spin aswell. One spins aswell as me, others will just spin alittle slower.

Boredom. To show off. Because I get challenged to do x amount. Etc Etc

MartinHarper
25th-November-2006, 04:36 PM
Every professionally trained dancer that I've had a spinning lesson from...

Out of interest, besides Nina, who else have you taken spinning lessons from? I did like Nina's class, so it'd be good to know who else gives spinning lessons.

Andy McGregor
25th-November-2006, 04:38 PM
Should you spot?

My pointers on spinning were just that, pointers.

I don't spot. Loads of other multi spinners don't spot.Then maybe the original advice should have been qualified rather than sounding like it was the only way to go.

One of the good things about MJ is that you can do it many ways. When I'm teaching I often give people more than one option. I might say something like "I teach it this way but other people might teach it like this" often I will give an example of the other way of doing a move, but I won't teach it that way. I qualify it by saying that it doesn't make the other teacher wrong, just different - although I might wink at this point :wink:

On the subject of multiple spins. There is a structure to dance that is provided by the music. In general the structure of the music gives you 2 musical beats to complete your spinning. There might be places in the music that allow you to do your spins over more beats than that - possibly a phrase of 2 bars/eight beats. IMHO that is the longest you should separate from your partner unless you've got some choreographed moves that you've worked out or been taught.

Andy McGregor
25th-November-2006, 04:52 PM
Out of interest, besides Nina, who else have you taken spinning lessons from? I did like Nina's class, so it'd be good to know who else gives spinning lessons.As part of other lessons I've also been taught to spin by a lady called Doris Myers who was my ballroom teacher in the early '80. More recently, as part of workshops, I've had spinning lessons from Amir and Kate. Amir is particularly specific about how you use your head to emphasise the structure of the music. There have probably been others, but when you've done as many workshops as I have they become a bit of a blur, you have trouble remembering who taught you what :confused: However, as far as I can remember, I've been given tips on spotting by every person who has taught me spinning - you would think I'd be a better spinner but I find I have off days where I wobble on single spins and other days where I'm spot on :tears:

When I teach spinning myself in the normal class lessons I tell beginners not to try to spot unless they can do it already. I tell them the most important thing is to keep their head up and not look at the floor. When I teach spinning on workshops I always do a session on posture and spotting - I tell people that good posture is essential for good spins, but I tell them it's not essential for the lady to spot to do the spins on balance. However, I think that it is essential for the leader to spot when doing multiple spins. They really do need to keep track of where their partner is and spotting achieves this objective.

Wouldbe
25th-November-2006, 05:10 PM
I think this spinning needs to take on a thread all of it own! It's kind of gone off the beat and track regards the original topic of male followers.

I never knew spinning, spotting or otherwise, was so contentious! I think I'll stick to 1 at a time!

Lee Bartholomew
25th-November-2006, 05:52 PM
Then maybe the original advice should have been qualified rather than sounding like it was the only way to go.

One of the good things about MJ is that you can do it many ways. When I'm teaching I often give people more than one option. I might say something like "I teach it this way but other people might teach it like this" often I will give an example of the other way of doing a move, but I won't teach it that way. I qualify it by saying that it doesn't make the other teacher wrong, just different - although I might wink at this point :wink:

On the subject of multiple spins. There is a structure to dance that is provided by the music. In general the structure of the music gives you 2 musical beats to complete your spinning. There might be places in the music that allow you to do your spins over more beats than that - possibly a phrase of 2 bars/eight beats. IMHO that is the longest you should separate from your partner unless you've got some choreographed moves that you've worked out or been taught.

When I teach I teach it with the pointers I have given in this post. People im my classes have followed and learnt using my techniques. If they work then I feel they are qualified and are not 'Bad advise'!!!!!!

With regards to who taught me the list includes sara Johnson, Adam Maple (one of the best male spinners I know),and Shirley Parsons (ballet)

ducasi
25th-November-2006, 05:58 PM
I think this spinning needs to take on a thread all of it own! It's kind of gone off the beat and track regards the original topic of male followers.
I've just moved all the spinning posts to a thread of their own. :)

Lee Bartholomew
25th-November-2006, 05:58 PM
I was the one who neg-repped woodface for his advice about spinning. I did not give the neg-rep for complaining about receiving neg-rep. However, you will always get more neg-rep for complaining about it. Accept it and move on is what I say.

On the subject of my original neg-rep for the advice about spinning. The advice woodface gave was this;

"Don't try and spot. Works for some, not for most."

This is completely wrong. But it's given with such conviction it sounds like it's the only way to go. Was woodface given this advice by a professionally trained dancer? I don't think so. Every professionally trained dancer that I've had a spinning lesson from has talked about the importance of spotting. Of course you can get away with not spotting, but it's not best practice. The advice/training I've received is that the best practice is to spot - this isn't just for reasons of balance, it's also to do with the relationship with your partner during the dance.

All teachers teach different.

"Don't try and spot. Works for some, not for most." was my comment. I stick to it. It is good advise. If you don't agree you don't agree. Each to their own. I do state it works for some not for others. People on this forum are cleaver enough to read that as 'sometimes spotting works' im sure!!!!!!!

Yes I was given that advise by several profesionally trained teachers. Maybe spotting is an 'old fashioned' way of doing things!!

Almost no teacher teaches it this way anymore.

Any other teacher out there want to comment?

Lee Bartholomew
25th-November-2006, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the woodface forum. Been here a few weeks, tells us how to dance, especially how to spin, and is now accusing his shoes, very similar to some shoes I own, of being gay.

The sexuality of dance shoes is their business. I wear them, I put them in the bottom of my wardrobe with the other dance shoes. What they get up to in the dark is their business. Do they go for the stillettoes or do they snuggle up the b&w shoes? One thing I can tell you is that my dance trainers go either way :wink:

If you need to ask a question, the question you should ask yourself is "do I look gay in these?" Although why you'd want to know is beyond me :confused:

No just thinks that im wrong with my spinning advise. Didn't like it because it's not the way 'he teaches'.

Andy McGregor
25th-November-2006, 06:06 PM
Adam MapleProfessionally trained? :rofl:

Almost no teacher teaches it this way anymore.I can't believe this.

Lee Bartholomew
25th-November-2006, 06:12 PM
Advise from the rocsters website on spinning

How to Get Less Dizzy
The body will eventually adapt to anything it is repeatedly exposed to. So if you spin lots, you will get used to it and experience less dizziness. Also, try not to tilt your head to either side whilst spinning. When you have completed your last turn, focus your eyes on one object, probably your partner, (do not let them just blur) and at least you will get your bearings quicker. Trained dancers use a technique called spotting. You let your body start to turn without your head moving, whilst focusing on a single spot. When you can no longer keep your head in the same place, you turn it around as fast as you can to refocus on the same spot. It takes practice, but eventually helps you avoid getting dizzy and can even help you turn more.

When you have completed your last turn, focus your eyes on one object, probably your partner, (do not let them just blur) Agreed this is what I do after my Xth spin.

Trained dancers use a technique called spotting. You let your body start to turn without your head moving, whilst focusing on a single spot. When you can no longer keep your head in the same place, you turn it around as fast as you can to refocus on the same spot. Im a trainned dancer I don't use that technique. Try whipping your head around on your fourth spin without doing you neck in !!!!!!!!!!!

but eventually helps you avoid getting dizzy and can even help you turn more. Spotting makes me and many others even more dizzy as you are turning your head quicker. Help you turn more?????? B*****CKS If anything, it impaires your ability to multi spin.

Sorry Andy but I just don't agree. Won't neg rep you for 'Bad Advise' though. lol

Andy McGregor
25th-November-2006, 06:13 PM
No just thinks that im wrong with my spinning advise. Didn't like it because it's not the way 'he teaches'.I teach that you can spin the way woodface teaches. But I also teach that you should spot if you can. Woodface is less liberal and says his way is the only way. Maybe he's like that with his shoes.

Lee Bartholomew
25th-November-2006, 06:16 PM
I teach that you can spin the way woodface teaches. But I also teach that you should spot if you can. Woodface is less liberal and says his way is the only way. Maybe he's like that with his shoes.

God has it really come to this??????

Andy, please go back and read my posts on spinning properly!!!!!

Andy McGregor
25th-November-2006, 06:24 PM
Sorry Andy but I just don't agree. Won't neg rep you for 'Bad Advise' though. lol
[/COLOR][/COLOR] Woodface is saying the advice on my website is bad, he's just not going to neg-rep me, just try to harm my reputation by saying I'm wrong. But this time it's not me, I got this advice from Amir Giles, professional dancer, trained by the Ballet Rombert and all-round fabulous dancer - go here (http://www.jango.co.uk/dancetips.html) for the source of the advice. In the opinion of many people Amir is the top dancer and teacher in Modern Jive. To say that Amir is wrong is a very courageous thing to do.

Of course woodface could be the one to topple Amir from the top spot. I'm sure I'm joined by many others who'd like to have a dance with woodface if this is the case.

David Franklin
25th-November-2006, 06:43 PM
Woodface is saying the advice on my website is bad, he's just not going to neg-rep me, just try to harm my reputation by saying I'm wrong.

Actually, I think Woodface was trying to make the point that he's being criticised for giving advice as if it were absolute, when your website (and Amir) is doing exactly the same thing. He's commenting that what you advice doesn't work for him but that he understands that doesn't mean it's bad advice.

As far as spotting goes, you will actually find quite a few professionals who say "if you're doing very fast spins, you can't really spot". The canonical example is in ice-skating, where you will find lots and lots of advice saying not to spot on fast spins.

However, for social dance, knowing where you and your partner are, is really important, and so for that reason, if no other, I think spotting is a good plan, even though I don't really manage it well myself.

I'd also say that genuinely being able to do 7 controlled spins (without paddling etc) is phenomenal - probably more than Amir can do, certainly more than I've ever seen any other man do. The ironic thing is that this doesn't actually put yourself in any stronger position when it comes to advising others. There's been some scientific analysis, and the conclusion was that the best spinners are just really really good at correcting their balance during the spin. (Basically they did things like push people off balance as they were spinning and see what happened). What works for them may well not work for the rest of us.

Of course woodface could be the one to topple Amir from the top spot. I'm sure I'm joined by many others who'd like to have a dance with woodface if this is the case.Certainly at this point I'd be fascinated to see him dance. How long is it to Blackpool...?

Andy McGregor
25th-November-2006, 06:55 PM
David Franklin is completely right (so I'm not going to quote the whole of his post) and I agree with everything he says - except one thing. I don't think that woodface is criticising me or Amir for being absolute. He's saying that we're old fashioned and wrong for advising people to spot.

I can't speak for Amir, but for myself, I think that the reason spotting is best practice in a partner dance is just that. You have a partner, you need to know where he/she is and spotting is a brilliant way to achieve that objective.

Certainly at this point I'd be fascinated to see him dance. How long is it to Blackpool...?I can't wait that long. Woodface is a dancing phenomenon. We need to know his dancing timetable so we can see these multiple spins.

LMC
25th-November-2006, 06:58 PM
If a guy spins 2 or 3 times, I watch and admire - my spinning is rubbish, you only get one but I at least try to make it a reasonable one.

If a partner was spinning for a whole bar, I think I'd probably get quite bored and go and get a drink.

Andy McGregor
25th-November-2006, 07:01 PM
If a guy spins 2 or 3 times, I watch and admire - my spinning is rubbish, you only get one but I at least try to make it a reasonable one.

If a partner was spinning for a whole bar, I think I'd probably get quite bored and go and get a drink.I start looking at my (imaginary) watch and yawning...

David Bailey
25th-November-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't spin much - spinning doesn't happen in Tango and I'm useless at it anyway.

I also think the UK scene doesn't focus much on spinning - unlike the Australian scene - and I wonder if that's maybe a weakness. So more discussion about this area is a Good Thing.

robd
25th-November-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't spot but then I also don't do multiple spins. In fact one of my favourite current moves is a slow single spin over 2 counts (turning under my partner's hand) I find it much easier to stay on balance doing this.

As regards what the follower might do whilst the leader spins, I recently have been working on a good intro for the leader into a free spin without disrupting the dance. I have found that leading a yoyo until the turn out of the right arm gives enough impetus and stability for me then to do a stable free spin. However the follow is receiving no lead at this point (even though the spin is just for 1 count) and I can't work out what kind of a lead I might give her in this situation so I will probably have to drop that one from the repertoire.

Robert

MartinHarper
25th-November-2006, 08:18 PM
I'd also say that genuinely being able to do 7 controlled spins (without paddling etc) is phenomenal - probably more than Amir can do, certainly more than I've ever seen any other man do.

I've been assuming that both Woodface and Trampy aren't talking about seven spins on a single leg without paddling. Woodface says "The biggest problem is doing it without travelling" - it's near-impossible to travel if you're spinning on a single leg.

----

From another thread (because this spat is too big for one thread)

Woodface is less liberal and says his way is the only way.

You've misread his advice. He specifically said that spotting "works for some".

MartinHarper
25th-November-2006, 08:20 PM
I have found that leading a yoyo until the turn out of the right arm gives enough impetus and stability for me then to do a stable free spin. However the follow is receiving no lead at this point (even though the spin is just for 1 count) and I can't work out what kind of a lead I might give her in this situation so I will probably have to drop that one from the repertoire.

Try using a hatchback instead of a yo-yo, if you feel that's a problem.

David Bailey
25th-November-2006, 08:23 PM
I've just moved all the spinning posts to a thread of their own. :)
I've also moved some of the posts from the "gay shoes" thread here, as it seems more appropriate to keep all the spinning "discussion" in one area.

Sheepman
25th-November-2006, 08:26 PM
I'd also say that genuinely being able to do 7 controlled spins (without paddling etc) is phenomenal - probably more than Amir can do, :yeah: Amir was discussing this during a lesson just a few weeks ago, saying that his record is 7, (or was it 9?) but he was really making the point, with some envy, about the person who currently holds the record, - 32!!

Greg

David Franklin
25th-November-2006, 08:27 PM
I've been assuming that both Woodface and Trampy aren't talking about seven spins on a single leg without paddling. Woodface says "The biggest problem is doing it without travelling" - it's near-impossible to travel if you're spinning on a single leg.Well, I'm kind of sceptical myself, I admit. But personally I've never counted paddle turns as true spinning - I've done more than 7 turns like that myself, but I certainly wouldn't boast about it when I can only occasionally manage a true double. Heck, if you allow paddle turns, I've done more than 7 turns with a partner balanced overhead (and not just in my avatar :wink:).

spindr
26th-November-2006, 12:10 AM
There is a lot of (conflicting) advice about spinning -- a lot of it is useless -- sometimes it gets useful when you understand it.

I don't intentionally spot when spinning -- unless it's a slow single one-footed spin, or some angled type of turn.

Unintentionally, I do a sort of "double-spotting" -- spotting on a point in front and one behind -- this means that the head doesn't have to whip round 360 degrees -- but rather two separate lots of 180 degrees. This doesn't seem to make me as dizzy -- but also means that I finish facing my partner.

The best advice I would suggest is to spin anticlockwise on the left foot and clockwise on the right foot. This means that you can "cheat" the turn. It also helps if you "prep" the shoulders, as you cheat the turn -- this makes it much, much easier.

Ladies should use the time when the man's spinning to do some styling -- a hip roll, a body roll, a shimmy, etc.

SpinDr

P.S.
Lee, our salsa teacher, will dance maybe 8 or so spins without paddling -- but then he's a European silver medalist.

tiger
26th-November-2006, 10:27 AM
i once heard that gay guys are generally better at spinning,

so all you experts ;; is it true?

robd
26th-November-2006, 10:29 AM
i once heard that gay guys are generally better at spinning,

so all you experts ;; is it true?

Oh, for ***. I never neg-rep but if I did I might be tempted to make this my first :rolleyes:

tiger
26th-November-2006, 10:34 AM
Robd; chillout,it was only a question?

David Franklin
26th-November-2006, 11:59 AM
With regards to the 7 or so spins. I can do them without paddeling but all depends on the floor. Then im not the only one that can do them am I so it proves im not in some 'freakish class' all on my own.:shrug: All I can say is that I've seen many video clips from partner dancing (mainly from Salsa) where people have been going "check out the spin this guy does", and in general when you actually count the turns, it's only a triple, or a best a quad. (Couple of exceptions: Ben Morris does 6 spins in his WCS routine from 2004. I've seen a clip of Johnny Vasquez doing a big spin but you can't really count because the quality is so poor). In the MJ world, I've seen Viktor and Mick trying to out do each other spinning (don't think either got beyond 4) and the most I've seen from Amir is about 5. And that's the most I've ever seen or even heard claimed before this thread. So yeah, I'd say 7 is pretty darn unusual.

I will be very curious to see a video of you spinning.

Lee Bartholomew
26th-November-2006, 12:04 PM
:shrug: All I can say is that I've seen many video clips from partner dancing (mainly from Salsa) where people have been going "check out the spin this guy does", and in general when you actually count the turns, it's only a triple, or a best a quad. (Couple of exceptions: Ben Morris does 6 spins in his WCS routine from 2004. I've seen a clip of Johnny Vasquez doing a big spin but you can't really count because the quality is so poor). In the MJ world, I've seen Viktor and Mick trying to out do each other spinning (don't think either got beyond 4) and the most I've seen from Amir is about 5. And that's the most I've ever seen or even heard claimed before this thread. So yeah, I'd say 7 is pretty darn unusual.

Will try and get one done later today. Thing is with that amount of spins, you have to have nigh on perfect conditions, floor, energy, dance partner etc. Im sure I have danced with other forumites on here where I have compleated that many spins.

FoxyFunkster
26th-November-2006, 12:08 PM
being only a mere novice in the world of dance may i enquire as to when you might want to spin more then 3-4 times??? whats the norm for good dancers????

Lee Bartholomew
26th-November-2006, 12:10 PM
being only a mere novice in the world of dance may i enquire as to when you might want to spin more then 3-4 times??? whats the norm for good dancers????

This was brought up eairler. Very rarely.

There is no norm for good dancers. Some spin once, some spin twice, some spin more. What ever is felt comfortable to the dancer.

FoxyFunkster
26th-November-2006, 12:12 PM
can i ask, if your spinning anti clock wise are you on your left and clock wise on your right???

Lee Bartholomew
26th-November-2006, 12:16 PM
can i ask, if your spinning anti clock wise are you on your left and clock wise on your right???

Yep, though there are one or two moves that require the oposite.

David Bailey
26th-November-2006, 12:38 PM
I also would be interested in seeing how it's done. Unless that meant going to Bromley of course.

OK, spinning's not exactly my scene, but I can always try to learn.

straycat
28th-November-2006, 12:11 PM
Out of interest, besides Nina, who else have you taken spinning lessons from? I did like Nina's class, so it'd be good to know who else gives spinning lessons.

I normally (when not recovering from surgery) go to the local gym once a week for a half-hour lunchtime spinning class. They have them daily, and the instructor is very good. :whistle:

straycat
28th-November-2006, 12:16 PM
You can't spin with any speed if you spot.

Good thing no-one told the ballet contingent (http://youtube.com/watch?v=OqAiXdhUux4) about that one ;)

(and to feel truly humbled, take a look at this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ipgHI53HMak&mode=related&search=))

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 12:21 PM
Good thing no-one told the ballet contingent (http://youtube.com/watch?v=OqAiXdhUux4) about that one ;)

(and to feel truly humbled, take a look at this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ipgHI53HMak&mode=related&search=))

Notice on the second vid she doesn't spot on the first he does. Back to the original point that caused these problem. Don't spot - Works for some, Not for most

Still stand by that comment

TheTramp
28th-November-2006, 12:23 PM

I looked really closely at it. At least 3 times. And couldn't see the handle used to turn her anywhere.....

straycat
28th-November-2006, 12:34 PM
Notice on the second vid she doesn't spot on the first he does. Back to the original point that caused these problem. Don't spot - Works for some, Not for most

Look again. She's very clearly spotting.

I wasn't suggesting your way doesn't work for you. What I was doing was taking issue with your statement: 'You can't spin with any speed if you spot.'. My technique for taking issue with it was to show a video of someone spinning with speed while spotting. Sorry if I failed to make this clear.

Spotting is simply an advanced technique that is much harder to learn than simply spinning, but which, once learned, affords some great benefits (http://www.ballroomdancers.com/Learning_Center/Lesson/2/Default.asp?page=5).

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 12:38 PM
I looked really closely at it. At least 3 times. And couldn't see the handle used to turn her anywhere.....

lol.

She's not a small girl either.

ducasi
28th-November-2006, 12:42 PM

While I'm sympathetic to your message, I'd say that the girl in the second video does spot.

Since originally getting neg-repped for telling someone (I think it was a beginner?) not to bother learning to spot to improve her spinning, I've thought about the whole spinning/spotting thing a great deal more...

My thoughts:

when learning to spin just once, don't bother with spotting;
if doing multiple-spins, spotting might help;
spotting in MJ (and similar dances) is not the same as in ballet;
if you do spot, spot on your partner;
be prepared to stop not facing the same way you were previously.

I'd also repeat what I said then – ballet-style spotting looks weird.

Disclaimer: no-one has ever paid me to teach them how to spin, or anything else dance-related, and I don't do multiple spins either. Tutus may go down as well as up.

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 12:44 PM
Look again. She's very clearly spotting.

I wasn't suggesting your way doesn't work for you. What I was doing was taking issue with your statement: 'You can't spin with any speed if you spot.'. My technique for taking issue with it was to show a video of someone spinning with speed while spotting. Sorry if I failed to make this clear.

Spotting is simply an advanced technique that is much harder to learn than simply spinning, but which, once learned, affords some great benefits (http://www.ballroomdancers.com/Learning_Center/Lesson/2/Default.asp?page=5).

Ok im ob wrong about the spotting with speed thing.

Have looked very closley at the vid and dont think she is, but the quality is poor and I can't really be sure. Looks as though it might even be looped.

Quote from the website you pointed out

Important facts about spotting:

Spotting is a common technique used for spins, but it is not the only one. Other techniques used in modern ballroom dancing include maintaining a strong shape to the left or right, or even looking straight up at the ceiling!
Spotting can help reduce dizziness to a limited degree, but the best way to overcome problems with dizziness is through experience, by simply getting the body accustomed to spinning.

Thing is and no one has mentioned this. Spotting can be damaging to the neck if not done properly. Last thing I want to do is be responsible for damaged necks.

If you are learning, give it a go both ways, still think you will find it easier not to spot. Ballet dancing is fine, but the other thing with MJ is we need to hold a different shape whilst spinning!!

straycat
28th-November-2006, 12:50 PM
I think there is a new generation of modern jivers comming in to the MJ world. Ones where the men do spin, do have a bit of style and do have musicality same with the women.

Interesting assertion. Thing is, from my perspective, a spin (multiple or otherwise) is a move. It can be done well, or badly, with great style and/or musicality, or without. It can be done in a way which directly involves and cares for your partner, or it can be done in a way which doesn't. One shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that 'flash' moves are inherently stylish. Style comes not from what you do, but how you do it.

Don't think this is liked much.

In my experience, most MJ people, whether they're new to the scene, or have been there a while, welcome style and musicality and connection. Some do not, but this no more true of the 'old generation' as it is of the 'new'.

straycat
28th-November-2006, 01:25 PM
Looks as though it might even be looped.

Doesn't it just? It isn't, though... (http://youtube.com/watch?v=jB5bAJODUig)

Thing is and no one has mentioned this. Spotting can be damaging to the neck if not done properly. Last thing I want to do is be responsible for damaged necks.

Well - don't be then. It does need to be taught properly, yes - so let others do that ;) I'm not asking you to teach it or embrace spotting yourself - just to accept that it does have value as a dance technique.

Ballet dancing is fine, but the other thing with MJ is we need to hold a different shape whilst spinning!!

It's not exclusively a ballet thing. It's a technique used throughout many many forms of dance (look here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FWa3i2bnZs4) for a very subtle example - you have to look closely to see it, but some of the spins done are indeed spotted - it's not overt, and it's a far cry from ballet styling.

spindr
28th-November-2006, 01:49 PM
Spotting is just a nice to have.

It's much more important to start off concentrating on maintaining a strong axis -- and spinning on the spot. And keeping the arms in close.

SpinDr

P.S. A few notes: http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/spins_pirouettes_and_turns.html

Daisy Fox
28th-November-2006, 04:42 PM
Have been reading this thread with interest, as along with several others I am a proffessionally trained dancer - although my training was a while ago. I could try and sit on the fence, but I must advocate spotting as the safest method in general for spinning - In my humble opinion.
It is very impressive that Woodface can do 7 spins, but I am sure he is in the minority and that most men and women would stop at 2 or 3. When spinning for 1, 2 or 3 turns then spotting is the best way to stop dizziness, maintain balance and control your turn.
However, I think that most people when they think about spotting, have an stern image of a ballerina whipping her head around with force, and although that is where spotting originates - modern dancing doesn't need to use this technique to its extreme - as ballet is a very disciplined and meticulous form of dance. I have a much more relaxed spotting technique for MJ, than when I pirouette. My turns are completely different. And so some people have the opinion that spotting is old fashioned, that it looks funny and that it hurts the neck - not true if it is taught properly.

All the above - just my opinion. Thanks for playing. :nice: :nice:

mikeyr
28th-November-2006, 05:17 PM
I do it because it is the way I dance. Some plod, some bounce, some wiggle, some sway, some lean, some stand straight, some do walks, I spin.

Try dancing a diffrent style next time you dance. Try putting in an extra spin, or wiggling alittle more or doing a little bit of footwork. You might find it makes you a better dancer. then again you might not get on with it. You will never know untill you try.

You know I like to put an extra wiggle now & again :D , and you know i love that old Cha cha cha footwork:cool:

But I have to be honest I cant spin more than 2 times, tried spotting and everything, couldnt do that either.....I am a little too old to cut it as a ballerina now, but I still have my sights set on becoming a prima donna.
:eek:

Franck
28th-November-2006, 05:19 PM
I have moved the discussions not related to spinning into a new thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10585) to keep this one more on topic.

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 05:29 PM
Great now back to the spinning debate.

I spin multi spins the way I do. It is hard to explain how to do it.

I don't spot but thats not to say that spotting isn't a good idea. It's just that it doesn't work for me.

Think at the end of the day, It's mainly in the way you hold yourself when you spin. IE you look up or down and you will tilt forwards or back, no matter how many spins you do.

But the best advise I can give anyone, and im hoping it's advice everyone will agree with lol, is try diffrent ways till you find what works for you.

Then practise!!!!

David Bailey
28th-November-2006, 05:32 PM
I spin multi spins the way I do. It is hard to explain how to do it.
It's always tricky to describe dance.

But, and I speak earnestly, I really want to see the video, I think I could learn from it. And I'm in no position to make fun of it - 1.5 spins is normally my limit.

tiger
28th-November-2006, 07:56 PM
Woodface, as you are so good at spinning; can you give us all some advice how its done as i dont think any of us on the forum can match your ability.:wink:

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 08:02 PM
Woodface, as you are so good at spinning; can you give us all some advice how its done as i dont think any of us on the forum can match your ability.:wink:

I did. Thats what got me into an argument. Read the thread. :grin:

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 08:50 PM
Right.

Edited down a routine to show some of the spinning etc as have had alot of PM's asking how its done. Haven't done the easy thing and edited out the ones that went wrong (as stated before very hard to do multi spins in time and without traveling)

I know im going to get ripped to pieces by the very small minority on here but here goes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhTrURSChow

Please also bear in mind that it was before class and hence a proper warm up (done them much better later on but camera was off!!! :whistle:)

Daisy Fox
28th-November-2006, 09:00 PM
Gonna be brave now. In my opinion, the spins you do when you just rotate 2 or 3 turns are far more attractive. I like your style and you did some really cool moves in that clip.
The problem is that the turns you do aren't staying on the spot after the third rotation and therefore you risk bashing into people when you transfer your weight and carry on turning.

I honestly think you look better doing less turns and staying more in control. In my opinion.

Wouldn't say no to a dance !

:flower:

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 09:03 PM
Gonna be brave now. In my opinion, the spins you do when you just rotate 2 or 3 turns are far more attractive. I like your style and you did some really cool moves in that clip.
The problem is that the turns you do aren't staying on the spot after the third rotation and therefore you risk bashing into people when you transfer your weight and carry on turning.

I honestly think you look better doing less turns and staying more in control. In my opinion.

Wouldn't say no to a dance !

:flower:

Thing is can do 7-10 sometimes 12 on the spot and in time but is hard and rare.

Don't overly spin unless there is the space and have now done it so often that if I do start travelling, then I am still aware of whats going on around me. NEVER EVER span and collided with anyone.

straycat
28th-November-2006, 09:14 PM
I know im going to get ripped to pieces by the very small minority on here but here goes

Thank you for posting the video. It was worth the wait ;)

David Bailey
28th-November-2006, 09:30 PM

Please also bear in mind that it was before class and hence a proper warm up (done them much better later on but camera was off!!! :whistle:)

First of all, :clap: to you for putting that link up, it takes guts - I'd never dare do that. :eek:

Second, spins aside, it looks like you're a great dancer - reminds me a little of Paul F with the returns, quite smooth and WCS-y.

Third, I agree that you're pretty good at spinning.

However, I agree that it looks like you're losing control after the 2nd / 3rd spin, as you're going more and more off your axis. More importantly to me, the connection is also clearly lost at that point, as you're travelling further away from your partner.

Honestly, the bits I liked the most were the simple returns, they looked very nice :respect:

But again, :clap: to you for putting that link up, it was a ballsy move.

Hmmm, maybe this could start a trend...

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 09:37 PM
:blush:

Thanks DJ. Could have waited until i had got the perfect multi spin on cam but didn't. These things are really really hard to do but it can happen. More than happy the put on the ones that messed up so people can see what went wrong. We are all learning (well at least I am) and we all learn from our own and each others mistakes.

One of the multi spins works well (think its the third)

As someone commented to me on the girl that done 37 odd spins. How many times did it take her to get that many on cam? and just because she can does it mean she does it every dance she has?

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 09:45 PM
Oh dear.

Looks like some forumites have been taking my advice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os3jLTXW3pc

:sick::confused::confused::confused:

MartinHarper
29th-November-2006, 01:35 AM
The main problem I have with spotting is the centrifugal force makes me lose my glasses. Time to spend some money at the opticians, I think. :)

Lee Bartholomew
29th-November-2006, 01:38 AM
The main problem I have with spotting is the centrifugal force makes me lose my glasses. Time to spend some money at the opticians, I think. :)

Thats the only reason I got contacts. lol

TheTramp
29th-November-2006, 01:45 AM
Oh dear.

Looks like some forumites have been taking my advice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os3jLTXW3pc

:sick::confused::confused::confused:

Nah. I think that the one in the red top is spotting! :rolleyes:

Lee Bartholomew
29th-November-2006, 01:47 AM
Nah. I think that the one in the red top is spotting! :rolleyes:

think they have beaten the 37spins posted earlier.

Jamie
29th-November-2006, 04:20 AM
Best I've seen is 9 spins in 3 beats..

I spot, I can't help it, I used to do figure skating when I was young, and, unless you spot you're gonna fall flat on your arse in figure skating! lol!

I use the same technique for spinning as I did when I used to skate and it seems to do me well, I don't however have the same balance I had 10 years ago, but I have enough to get by and do around 4 spins if given the opportunity, I only spin really when following, I find it pointless when leading, it just gets in the way.

My only problem is, I change feet to carry on a spin, 4 spins on one foot is my limit at the minute..

I love assisted spins though, being lead into loads of spins is well fun.. People love leading me into them aswell, mainly cos they know I can spot, and I have the balance to stay on one foot. They're well fun and look good if being lead right, had loads try but only a few can lead me well enough into them.

Caro
29th-November-2006, 08:56 AM

on this it looks like you're doing the last spins (when you start to travel and lose control a bit) on the heels, is that right?
If so that may well be the reason or one of the reasons why you are losing control, the few teachers that I have seen teaching spinning insist that you should do them on the ball of your foot to keep your balance.
Just a thought, it might help :flower:

ducasi
29th-November-2006, 09:36 AM

On the ball of one foot.

You're not following your own advice – if you really were spinning in the ball of one foot you wouldn't travel, but what's happening is you are stepping onto the other foot occasionally, and you're spinning on your heels some of the time.

Oh, and you are spotting to some extent too, watching where your partner is.

Lee Bartholomew
29th-November-2006, 11:00 AM
The problem is these were not very good examples, When done right it is on one foot and without travelling.

I will try and get one on cam next week but thought I would post the clips anyhow sow people can see where it goes wrong.

There are a few times i spin 2-3 times perfect.

MartinHarper
29th-November-2006, 12:45 PM
I used to do figure skating when I was young, and, unless you spot you're gonna fall flat on your arse in figure skating!

Like these people?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxbtYpGjfBw

Lee Bartholomew
29th-November-2006, 12:58 PM
A quick vid of some of my spins. Soz for the poor editing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5QckUvqozA

Lee Bartholomew
29th-November-2006, 05:18 PM
Take a look at this. Cerocs very own Alex F (Who's and really good spinner)
At northfleet, really good venue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgvNj-PN3yQ

alex
29th-November-2006, 05:33 PM
not entirely fair to compare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E44T_3YvRTY

David Franklin
29th-November-2006, 06:21 PM
However, I agree that it looks like you're losing control after the 2nd / 3rd spin, as you're going more and more off your axis. More importantly to me, the connection is also clearly lost at that point, as you're travelling further away from your partner. Yeah, in "strict judge mode" I'd say out that on that video there were only a couple of 'decent' triples (one of which you continued to 5 or 6 turns but travelled a long way). And you are definitely not doing true one footed spins.

But the biggest problem is the control and travelling. It all very well to say men should "just go for it" with their spinner, but if you danced like that in a normal crowded venue, I have to say I'd consider you dangerous. The reason most men stick to singles/doubles is because once they start to lose control, they shut the spin down.

As others have said though, respect for putting up the video. Both dancing and spinning are definitely way above the average. :respect:

Lee Bartholomew
29th-November-2006, 06:31 PM
It's not the best of videos. Wasn't able to pull it off on the day but didn't feel as if I could put ' Sorry couldn't manage it so will have to wait till next week' on the forum.

Said eairler in thread, It is really hard to pull of multi spins without travelling but I can do it on occasion. I just need to practise to make sure it happens more often than not. Then I can add in a few more :whistle:. I managed 14 on Friday without travelling but that was on a really good floor and not worrying about the music or my partner. Will try again next friday and will try to get it on film (athough people will still moan that its not in time to the music etc)!!

The triples doubles etc are on one foot with the other hovering just above the ground. This is the best way to do multiple spins. Its getting your body line straight that is the biggest challange.

thanks for you comments though :cheers:

David Franklin
29th-November-2006, 07:08 PM
I managed 14 on Friday without travelling but that was on a really good floor and not worrying about the music or my partner. Will try again next friday and will try to get it on film (athough people will still moan that its not in time to the music etc)!!Bluntly, people are moaning because you said you could do 7 true spins and as far as I can see, the most you managed on that video were 3 (after that you were stepping and travelling). If you now want to claim 14, it's up to you, but to be honest, with the failure rate on that video, I wouldn't credit you with a reliable triple. (That's part of what's really impressive about the 6 spins Ben Morris did - it was in a spotlight routine with nowhere to hide. So I reckon he can do 6 spins reliably :respect: ).

CentrAlex
9th-December-2006, 07:00 PM
Hey...I have only just stumbled (no pun intended) upon this thread so thought I would join in!!

I have got to say that spinning is all about the practise and keeping your balance...there have been the few odd times...well twice...that my behind has connected with the floor, but I still go back for more...

My record number of spins solo is 18 and assisted 28...To be honest...I have only ever pulled of 18 twice so I cant say that I could do that all the time but I stick to 2/3 each dance and throw a 5/6 in there as well!!

I agree with the tips posted on the first page and with spotting...if you can crack it, it really does help to stop you from getting dizzy and also can help with your balance (because you're not dizzy-talk about state the obv alex!!)

Love spinning...the more the better I say!

Peace out for now!! :)

CentrAlex
9th-December-2006, 07:04 PM
Best I've seen is 9 spins in 3 beats..

:clap: That was meee!!! Honest! :D

Lee Bartholomew
10th-December-2006, 08:53 AM
I've seen you spin and it is really impresive. One of the best if not the best spinner I have seen.

Think you have hit the nail on the head a little bit. When I said I can do it into double figures (unassisted) it was not all the time and it is very very very unlikly that I would even attempt to do it freestyle (unless I was trying to beat my record or bored:whistle:).

When I dance it's normaly 2-4 or during a break 4-6.

tiger
10th-December-2006, 03:57 PM