PDA

View Full Version : If I enjoy a dance, can I assume my partner also enjoys that dance.

Whitebeard
25th-November-2006, 03:38 PM
Over the weeks I have, from time to time, invited a particular lady to dance. Simply because I have found her a delight to dance with; light, responsive, and with the occasional lovely smile.

But, just because I particularly enjoy dancing with her, does that mean she also particularly enjoys dancing with me.

It seems it might be so. But is it always so. The other night I was sat out there when the all too occasional, "I want to be up there dancing to this" track started to play, and I was thinking "Should I go over and ask her, even though I've already asked once before this evening."

Then I became aware of her sidling over in my direction and stopping close by with her back to me. Next, an extended a hand in my direction (a signal I might so easily have missed) and, for once, even though pretty thick on the interpersonal communication thingy, I cottoned on. An invitation. An affirmation. Tentative, but positive. A chance for another dance to savour and to enjoy. I lightly took hold of that offered hand ......

So, in this instance the enjoyment of dancing together is mutual and I have another regular partner I can confidently approach for a dance.

Can we always trust our instincts in matters such as this ?

Ghost
25th-November-2006, 03:47 PM
No. Sorry. :flower:

I know I've had dances I've enjoyed that the lady didn't because I've asked them afterwards.

Works both ways though. There have been dances I didn't enjoy that the lady I was dancing with did.

I being slightly insane try and keep track of what different people want from a dance and lead accordingly. It was recently pointed out to me that it's a very long list :really:

(BTW if anyone I dance with wants to pm requests for changes in how I dance with them, feel free :flower: )

Gav
25th-November-2006, 03:54 PM
'fraid not.
Dave the Scaffolder and I were watching a forumite dancing last night and while her partner was clearly enjoying himself, she looked utterly unimpressed and he didn't seem to notice at all that she wasn't enjoying it.
Yes that forumite knows who she is 'cos she caught Dave and I watching and grinning at her! :D

Alice
25th-November-2006, 03:54 PM
I have to agree with Ghost- you can't assume that your partner enjoyed a dance as much (or as little) as you did.

Makes it much more likely though, if you enjoyed it, that she did too:clap: :flower:

Genie
25th-November-2006, 04:00 PM
If a man asks me to dance, and then really enjoys it, I am more likely to enjoy it myself. Nothing worse than dancing with someone who clearly isn't enjoying themselves. But some people are not that perceptive.

I just enjoy a dance :yum:

Anyway, Whitebeard, with regards the "tentative offer" thing, it sounded to me when I first read it like an airport romance novel :rofl: I hope I'm not the only one. Sorry :flower:

ducasi
25th-November-2006, 04:01 PM
You can't assume, but it's usually apparent on someone's face how much they are enjoying themselves. Isn't it? :)

Alice
25th-November-2006, 04:03 PM
Anyway, Whitebeard, with regards the "tentative offer" thing, it sounded to me when I first read it like an airport romance novel
Nah, not enough adjectives strung together:whistle: :whistle: :wink:

Ghost
25th-November-2006, 04:03 PM
You can't assume, but it's usually apparent on someone's face how much they are enjoying themselves. Isn't it? :)

Not always :tears: Some people are just "polite" and good at smiling regardless

MartinHarper
25th-November-2006, 04:09 PM
Can we always trust our instincts in matters such as this ?

Trust your instincts. Aside from anything else, they're all you have. Dancers are too luvvie-ish to say whether they actually enjoyed a dance, and getting them to fill out a feedback form might kill the moment. "I was enjoying myself until you gave me this paperwork!".

Genie
25th-November-2006, 04:12 PM
:rofl: I am an Arhchivist, paperwork is good. However, it's not always easy to tell when someone is enjoying themselves. I will admit (and feel free to slap me, I deserve it, maybe) to having smiled and said 'thank you' when I've not really enjoyed the dance, out of a need to be polite and encourage people to dance - just because I didn't enjoy it doesn't mean I have to ruin their day by letting them know that :rolleyes:

Lory
25th-November-2006, 04:28 PM
it's usually apparent on someone's face how much they are enjoying themselves. Isn't it? :)

Nope. As I was also watching at Ashtons last night, as one of my friends was dancing with a guy I particularly dislike dancing with and there she was, smiling away. :na:

When the dance finished, I asked her, 'How do you find dancing with that guy:confused: ' and she replied 'OMG, he's awful! :sick: ' So, there you go!

I think i've said this before but I've made a little rule for myself, I'll ask a guy to dance three times but after that, i'll leave it up to him to ask me back. (it only needs to be once in every three) but if he doesn't, I simply assume he doesn't like dancing with me, so I leave it there, no hard feelings.;)

I'd really rather not dance with someone who's wasting 4 minutes of their evening doing me a favour, the thought of that does nothing for me!:blush:

philsmove
25th-November-2006, 04:42 PM
On the assumption that you “care” about your partner and are sensitive to their feelings then yes

But I think we have all watched people who do not care or “look after” their partner” and are only interested in their own enjoyment

Its nice when people smile and say thank you after a dance, but in your heart, you know while the dance was all right, it was not special :cheers:

LMC
25th-November-2006, 04:50 PM
I will admit (and feel free to slap me, I deserve it, maybe) to having smiled and said 'thank you' when I've not really enjoyed the dance, out of a need to be polite and encourage people to dance - just because I didn't enjoy it doesn't mean I have to ruin their day by letting them know that :rolleyes:
:yeah:

I think of it as "paying forward". There are probably some people I enjoy dancing with who don't particularly enjoy dancing with me but are kind and nice so don't say no (or even ask me). My beginner days are still recent enough that I treasure those (very few) moments that I know from their smile that I've made someone's night - just as other fabulous dancers have made mine with a dance that might not have been all that special for them.

(Exclusions: assuming that there's nothing intrinsically 'wrong' about either of you - personal hygiene, yanking, blah blah blah - just maybe too wide a difference in ability or faulty connection)

robd
25th-November-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't believe that the assumption in the thread title holds true for me. I know I need to smile more when dancing as I have been told I look very serious/detached which I guess could make people think I am not enjoying the dance. Then again, when I do smile my partners seem to assume I am laughing at them rather than, as is usually the case, expressing my admiration for something they have just done.

I do know that sometimes I have danced with people and they have been very enthusiastic and praiseworthy at the end of it whilst the experience has frankly left me cold. Likewise I am sure I have danced with people and thoroughly enjoyed the experience myself whilst it has been a distinctly average dance for them. I do, however, always thank my partner at the end of a dance (and also thank them when they ask me to dance).

Robert

Juju
25th-November-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't think the feeling is always mutual, but if they keep asking you, then you can assume their experience wasn't too horrid either.

I do know that sometimes I have danced with people and they have been very enthusiastic and praiseworthy at the end of it whilst the experience has frankly left me cold.

Eek! This is the problem with this forum - for me anyway - knowing that I've danced with your good self, reading this sort of stuff makes me so paranoid. Good thing next to no one on here knows me really - gives me less to fret about.

Gav
26th-November-2006, 10:40 AM
Nope. As I was also watching at Ashtons last night, as one of my friends was dancing with a guy I particularly dislike dancing with and there she was, smiling away. :na:

When the dance finished, I asked her, 'How do you find dancing with that guy:confused: ' and she replied 'OMG, he's awful! :sick: ' So, there you go!

Eek! This is the problem with this forum - for me anyway - knowing that I've danced with your good self, reading this sort of stuff makes me so paranoid. Good thing next to no one on here knows me really - gives me less to fret about.

On behalf of all the men that were at Ashtons (including me) -

:confused: :eek: :blush: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jhutch
26th-November-2006, 11:23 AM

Also, whenever i read a London woman saying, 'i had a horrible dance the other night:angry: :angry: ' i always find myself worrying it was me, if i was out that night:blush: (don't think it has been yet though:clap: )

Lee Bartholomew
26th-November-2006, 11:37 AM
I sometimes get asked to dance by women who are then compleatly miserable the whole dance. Nothing I have done, it's just thats the way they are with everyone. No smiling, no eye contact just a 'why did I bother comming' look.

It's at that point I dance for myself, try to come up with new moves or if Im saving energy for a better dance parter, just plod through the same old boring moves again and again.

Lory
26th-November-2006, 12:13 PM
On behalf of all the men that were at Ashtons (including me) -

:confused: :eek: :blush: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rolleyes: It wasn't you! :flower:

This man is 'painful' :sick:

David Bailey
26th-November-2006, 12:45 PM
:rolleyes: It wasn't you! :flower:

This man is 'painful' :sick:
:eek: it was me, wasn't it?

Paranoia runs rampant throughout the Forum... :na:

Tiggerbabe
26th-November-2006, 12:51 PM
Paranoia runs rampant throughout the Forum... :na:
Well, I hope he's posted his picture, so I'll recognise him :na:

Freya
26th-November-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't believe that the assumption in the thread title holds true for me. I know I need to smile more when dancing as I have been told I look very serious/detached which I guess could make people think I am not enjoying the dance. Then again, when I do smile my partners seem to assume I am laughing at them rather than, as is usually the case, expressing my admiration for something they have just done.
Nope I'm Fairly Sure you've been laughing at something Stupid or Silly I've just done! :wink:

Frankie_4711
26th-November-2006, 01:12 PM
(snip) I will admit (and feel free to slap me, I deserve it, maybe) to having smiled and said 'thank you' when I've not really enjoyed the dance, out of a need to be polite and encourage people to dance - just because I didn't enjoy it doesn't mean I have to ruin their day by letting them know that :rolleyes:

Then you can slap me too if that's wrong, coz there's NO WAY I'm not going to smile and say thank you, however bad it was!

Emma
26th-November-2006, 01:41 PM
Can we always trust our instincts in matters such as this ?There's a big difference between trusting your insincts and assuming, isn't there?

Personally I believe that instinct will tell us when there is mutual enjoyment in a dance, but unless that instinct or other experience with the person you're dancing with exists, it's not safe to assume, no.

Still: part of the joy of dancing is the fun you can have finding out! :)

Genie
26th-November-2006, 01:45 PM
Then you can slap me too if that's wrong, coz there's NO WAY I'm not going to smile and say thank you, however bad it was!

*slap*

I enjoyed that, did you? :wink:

Trouble
26th-November-2006, 03:43 PM
i think the best way to tell if a partner enjoyed your dance is if they ask you for another. Thats the most flattering thing for me to receive,,, second dance request. love it.

pmjd
26th-November-2006, 04:39 PM
i think the best way to tell if a partner enjoyed your dance is if they ask you for another. Thats the most flattering thing for me to receive,,, second dance request. love it.
Always a good sure sign, either later in the evening or straight after the first:clap:

I also have had the same experiences as woodface, that look that you can see in the eyes, the feeling that the lady is purely there on sufferance even though she asked you to dance:eek:. It can be very off putting:(

Gentabout
26th-November-2006, 04:57 PM

And there was me thinking you did enjoy it. Just being polite :what: :confused:

Gent

David Bailey
26th-November-2006, 06:39 PM
I also have had the same experiences as woodface, that look that you can see in the eyes, the feeling that the lady is purely there on sufferance even though she asked you to dance:eek:. It can be very off putting:(
Straightjackets and tango walks usually wake most of my partners up I find. Possible both at once if I feel particularly vindictive.

I asked someone for a second dance on Friday, I think. I had to go for a lie down to recover after that though, the shock was a bit too much for my system.

Frankie_4711
26th-November-2006, 06:51 PM
And there was me thinking you did enjoy it. Just being polite :what: :confused:

Gent

If you don't know better than that by now, there's no hope for you!

Lynn
26th-November-2006, 07:00 PM
:yeah: Even if they just ask me again on another occasion. I know that someone is not likely to ask me to dance again and again if they really don't enjoy it. (Eventually I might even ask them!).

Its lovely when the dance has been good and neither person actually asks for a second dance, you just keep on dancing together for several tracks.

I smile when dancing and its pretty rare that I can't find something to enjoy about any dance. But there are ones when something really clicks with a partner, they/you try something different and it works, you're both hearing the music the same way, lots of possible reasons. You both have a big smile and 'that was a fab dance' comments for each other at the end. And you know its not just 'being polite', that you've both really enjoyed it.

MartinHarper
26th-November-2006, 07:02 PM
i think the best way to tell if a partner enjoyed your dance is if they ask you for another.

Always a good sure sign, either later in the evening or straight after the first

Lots of people ask for two dances by default, so I wouldn't read too much into such requests.

Juju
26th-November-2006, 08:23 PM
I sometimes get asked to dance by women who are then compleatly miserable the whole dance. Nothing I have done, it's just thats the way they are with everyone. No smiling, no eye contact just a 'why did I bother comming' look.

Gosh, how awful. That's one nice thing about me, if I say so myself - I may not be the greatest dancer in the world, but no one could accuse me of being a miserable scrote on the dancefloor. :D (In fact, I get a lot of blokes grumbling to me about how miserable a lot of the other ladies are. It does puzzle me.)

Juju
26th-November-2006, 08:24 PM
Lots of people ask for two dances by default, so I wouldn't read too much into such requests.

B*gger... I'm always flattered by this. :sad:

Dallen
26th-November-2006, 08:37 PM
I can remember a girl coming to the Belfast Class way back in February for a few weeks.
When I danced with her either in the class or freestyle she never smiled and indeed seemed 'very flat' to use an expression. Upon exchanging notes with a few other males in the class, they all had the same experience with the girl. However it turns out she was after a man! Well she did get her man. Those of us who know this particular individual will be quite certain that the girl had an interesting evening, she has never been back to the class since!
There is nothing that I enjoy more than dancing with a girl who knows what she is doing. There is a definate buzz between myself and the lady.
We have some very good dancers in Belfast and they are always a joy to lead.
It is also good when the two of us can laugh at our mistakes, particularly when it comes to those rather twisty intermediate moves!

Trouble
26th-November-2006, 08:40 PM

if you didn't enjoy the dance your not going to ask for another Simple so what on earth are you talking about...

Trouble
26th-November-2006, 08:40 PM
Straightjackets and tango walks usually wake most of my partners up I find. Possible both at once if I feel particularly vindictive.

I asked someone for a second dance on Friday, I think. I had to go for a lie down to recover after that though, the shock was a bit too much for my system.

well your right about one thing,, you do have a big stick :D :whistle:

Lynn
26th-November-2006, 09:18 PM
if you didn't enjoy the dance your not going to ask for another Simple so what on earth are you talking about...I think he means if its the 'norm' for that dancer or their usual venue then staying up for a second dance can't be guaranteed as an indication of mutual enjoyment. I think asking a person again later the same evening or event can be taken as such though.

pmjd
26th-November-2006, 09:23 PM
B*gger... I'm always flattered by this. :sad:

:rofl: me too, oh well:na:

MartinHarper
27th-November-2006, 01:18 AM
I think he means if its the 'norm' for that dancer or their usual venue then staying up for a second dance can't be guaranteed as an indication of mutual enjoyment.

Yep. About 1/3 of forumites dance two dances as standard, according to the last poll we had on the subject (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8870).

Gadget
27th-November-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm often told that a dance was "the best of the evening" - which is good :D and is what I aim to acheive... but not every dance I have can be the 'best of the evening'

I'm dancing. Therefore I am enjoying my self. My partner: I assume that I'm better at dancing than the chair they were sat on. Therefore they should be enjoying it. {All bets are off if pain is involved... only a very small subset of people like to mix pain and pleasure like that :innocent:}

Beowulf
27th-November-2006, 02:16 PM
I wish it were the case but sadly not always so.

I may enjoy a dance that my partner doesn't or vice versa. However, usually If I pick up that they ARE enjoying the dance I do tend to loosen up and enjoy myself a little more too.

Stuart M
27th-November-2006, 04:05 PM
Trust your instincts. Aside from anything else, they're all you have. Dancers are too luvvie-ish to say whether they actually enjoyed a dance.
:yeah: And very few dancers are forthright enough to tell you when they didn't. Parallel to the rep system on the Forum, really.

fletch
27th-November-2006, 04:11 PM
:yeah: And very few dancers are forthright enough to tell you when they didn't. Parallel to the rep system on the Forum, really.

Its not somthing I would just do off the cuff....'I didn't like that dance' :eek:
I wouldn't wan't to hurt there feelings that way, you know when you havn't had a good dance :sick: they proberbly didn't like dancing with me just as much :na:

But if I was asked i would say, some guys ask what type of moves you like:confused: which is nice :nice:

Keep asking guy's we like it :flower:

Nick M
27th-November-2006, 05:58 PM
Speaking personally, if my partner doesn't enjoy the dance, then I don't enjoy it either.

If she's not enjoying herself, then something is wrong, and most of the time, that's my responsibility!

(not my responsibility to entertain her, but to provide a lead and a structure which she can enjoy, and can engage with)

Genie
27th-November-2006, 06:33 PM
Speaking personally, if my partner doesn't enjoy the dance, then I don't enjoy it either.

If she's not enjoying herself, then something is wrong, and most of the time, that's my responsibility!

(not my responsibility to entertain her, but to provide a lead and a structure which she can enjoy, and can engage with)

Unfortunately it's not always that easy hun. Sometimes a woman/man is not going to enjoy the dance with you for reasons that are out of your control. Not everyone is as easy to please as that (shame).

It's nice that you think your lead is the only reason a follow might/might not enjoy the dance, but any number of other factors that you cannot do anything about might result in the follow not enjoying it. From the music, to personal issues.

You are responsible for the lead, yes, but you are not solely responsible for the enjoyment factor. It takes two, as they say :flower:

:hug:

Double Trouble
27th-November-2006, 06:42 PM
IMO, some, not all men have no concept of whether I have enjoyed dancing with them.

It's easy to give signs to someone if you are not enjoying the dance, for example, no eye contact, don't smile, spit in their face, but they just don't get the hint and come back for more.

They must be so used to women blanking them and showing no interest, that they think it's the norm.

Gav
27th-November-2006, 07:00 PM
IMO, some, not all men have no concept of whether I have enjoyed dancing with them.

It's easy to give signs to someone if you are not enjoying the dance, for example, no eye contact, don't smile, spit in their face, but they just don't get the hint and come back for more.

They must be so used to women blanking them and showing no interest, that they think it's the norm.

:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

When you spat at me, kicked me in the shins and said don't ever ask me to dance again, I thought you were just kidding!

Mind you, I did start to wonder when you punched me in the eye! :devil:

:rofl:

Double Trouble
27th-November-2006, 07:13 PM

When you spat at me, kicked me in the shins and said don't ever ask me to dance again, I thought you were just kidding!

Mind you, I did start to wonder when you punched me in the eye! :devil:

:rofl:

You never get the hint, do you Gav.:rofl:

Jhutch
27th-November-2006, 07:27 PM
I wish it were the case but sadly not always so.

I may enjoy a dance that my partner doesn't or vice versa. However, usually If I pick up that they ARE enjoying the dance I do tend to loosen up and enjoy myself a little more too.

Or maybe they do get that off most women but are trying to improve and have to do it somehow?

Double Trouble
27th-November-2006, 07:37 PM

Or maybe they do get that off most women but are trying to improve and have to do it somehow?

I agree with you, but one charity dance is enough. Don't want to give charity dances all night.

If I see a really good dancer, i will ask once, knowing that they would rather be with a more experianced dancer, then leave them alone. Some men don't seem to understand that concept.

Jhutch
27th-November-2006, 07:42 PM
I agree with you, but one charity dance is enough. Don't want to give charity dances all night.

If I see a really good dancer, i will ask once, knowing that they would rather be with a more experianced dancer, then leave them alone. Some men don't seem to understand that concept.

Ah right, i didn't realise that you meant within the same night, i thought you just meant generally:)

Does seem a bit strange to try to dance more with someone who doesn't seem to be enjoying it

philsmove
27th-November-2006, 07:43 PM
saw this and though of this thread

dave the scaffolder
27th-November-2006, 07:43 PM

maybe if a man knows a woman did not enjoy a dance he may try again later in the evening. To improve his lead his style, eye contact all of the little things that make a spark and establish a connection, however some people are destined to not dance together their styles may be incompatible and their body rhythms may be out of sync.

Jhutch
27th-November-2006, 07:53 PM
maybe if a man knows a woman did not enjoy a dance he may try again later in the evening. To improve his lead his style, eye contact all of the little things that make a spark and establish a connection, however some people are destined to not dance together their styles may be incompatible and their body rhythms may be out of sync.

That is possible:) I always start off very slowly in the freestyle and the first few dances are poor even by my standards. I suppose some people might like to try again when they are doing better? (I try to if it was a girl that i know fairly well)

Lynn
27th-November-2006, 09:46 PM
That is possible:) I always start off very slowly in the freestyle and the first few dances are poor even by my standards. I suppose some people might like to try again when they are doing better? Or it could be a song that you/they really hate. (Though if someone I know well asks me to dance to a song I really don't like, rather than dancing and not really enjoying myself I tell them that I don't want to dance to that track and can I have another dance later. That way they can go and dance that track with someone who will enjoy it and I can dance with them later.)

David Bailey
27th-November-2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah? :whistle:

Freya
27th-November-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm finally getting round to posting some sensible comments!

At the BEach BAllroom a couple of weeks ago I wasn't really enjoying myself, It was nothing to do with the people, the music or the dances...It was just that I was a bit stressed and had alot of other things on my mind!

One guy said to me at the end of the dance that I appeared to not be enjoying myself. Was I not getting any good dances! To which I replied yes of-course I was having some really good dances!

So to hark back to a previous posts there are other factors that can influence whether you have a good dance or not!

Double Trouble
27th-November-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah? :whistle:

I'm talking about good dancers David....how does this involve you? :nice:

Twirly
27th-November-2006, 10:25 PM
That is possible:) I always start off very slowly in the freestyle and the first few dances are poor even by my standards. I suppose some people might like to try again when they are doing better? (I try to if it was a girl that i know fairly well)

:yeah: It takes me a while to warm up. There is one guy at Clapham (no idea what his name is) whom I really like dancing with, and he often asks me very early in the evening - which is lovely, as he obviously like dancing with me. But I don't feel that I'm dancing my best. So I will often go and ask him again when I've warmed up a bit.

As for how you tell that someone is enjoying the dance, I, apparently, often look rather serious whilst dancing. In fact Trampy wound up pulling faces at me on Saturday because he thought I wasn't smiling enough - yet I was really enjoying the dance and was absorbed in it and the song as it was my current favourite track (and I had been smiling earlier). Just because someone isn't smiling insanely all the way through, doesn't mean they aren't enjoying it at all.

Repeat dances, either that night, or on another night, are definitely the best way to tell if someone enjoys dancing with you. Of course that's where we girls might need to get a bit more proactive with the asking - to give the chaps the feedback they obviously need. And even if someone is in the habit of asking for 2 dances in a row, surely they'd be a masochist to stick to this if they hadn't enjoyed the first one? :confused:

Lynn
27th-November-2006, 10:26 PM
So to hark back to a previous posts there are other factors that can influence whether you have a good dance or not!Yeah, lots of reasons, many nothing to do with the person you are dancing with at the time. So if someone I am dancing with appears not to be enjoying themselves I don't automatically take it personally. (If they never seemed to enjoy dancing with me, but still asked me to dance, I'd probably stop enjoying dancing with them as well.)

Beowulf
27th-November-2006, 11:44 PM
At the Beach Ballroom a couple of weeks ago I wasn't really enjoying myself

Yes honey .. we could tell. :sad: :hug: and it was contagious :tears:
I never even got to have a dance with you that night and you're one of my favourite dancers too :tears: :hug:

Freya
27th-November-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm sorry honey! I know I can be infectious when I'm hyper didn't realise it worked both ways!

Beowulf
28th-November-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm sorry honey! I know I can be infectious when I'm hyper didn't realise it worked both ways!

s'ok honey, we were that used to you being your normal bubbly self that we were all worried for you. :hug: :flower:

Freya
28th-November-2006, 12:07 AM
Oh no not that again!