PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Dances - For or Against?

robd
23rd-November-2006, 11:34 PM
Apologies if this has been covered before but you can imagine what a search for the word 'Birthday' in a thread title would uncover from the search engine :rolleyes:

For those that don't know, a birthday dance is the practice of giving exclusive or almost exclusive use of the floor to the birthday boy/girl who then gets to dance a track (of their choice??) with a variety of partners operating in a relay system.

Personally I don't like them. I have never participated in anyone else's birthday dance and I wouldn't want ever to receive one myself. I don't like being the centre of attention and the disruptive nature of the relay system means it's probably not a particularly memorable dance experience either. I suspect I may be in a minority with this view but would be interested to know the reasons why.

The poll is anonymous as there's no value in knowing individual choices, just the overall pattern and it's a single choice only to prevent those hilarious rascals who insist on clicking every choice in a poll.

So, do you share my views on birthday dances, not really care or are you a big fan of them? If the latter, what is it that you like about them?

Robert

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 11:41 PM
I don't like them. I don't like anything that interrupts freestyle.

And I've never done one myself. And am quite happy for that to continue.

TurboTomato
23rd-November-2006, 11:58 PM
Pretty much agree with Trampy again, breaking the rhythm of freestyle is not a good thing. Certainly wouldn't want one if it was my birthday.

Haven't been dancing that long and never seen it at my venue but logic dictates that if you have enough people going along you'll pretty much have a birthday to celebrate every week, and that would just get silly.

Sparkles
24th-November-2006, 12:20 AM
Personally I quite like Birthday dances - they give a sense of community :hug: , allow you a 'Birthday treat' :respect: of dancing with all your friends and are quite a unique whirlwind of styles that I enjoy very much:clap: :drool:.

I do wonder though, that maybe I am pro-BDs because I can both lead and follow and so I don't have to sit out and watch if another lady is having her Birthday dance. :whistle:
Similarly I think there is a time and a place for them - at your regular weekday venue, for example - not at a big freestyle event where you will disrupt the dancing of many people you don't know.

I also think that BDs should not be forced upon those who do not wish to do them, though I know I would be upset if I had a BD and people who are important to me would refuse to dance with me in it...:rolleyes:

Juju
24th-November-2006, 01:10 AM
Never heard of them before this. I'd hate to have one myself.

MartinHarper
24th-November-2006, 01:47 AM
It's a regular thing at the Jazz Cafe - last month we celebrated four birthdays - one lady, three guys. It's a small place with a nice chatty vibe to it, so folks don't seem to mind taking a break from dancing to chat and watch, and those who are keen to dance join in with the birthday thing. It looks like a good opportunity to practice steals and jam-style dancing, though I've stayed on the sidelines so far.

Jamie
24th-November-2006, 01:56 AM
I think they're fun, I've never had one because I've not been dancing long enough really, but I think they add a sense of fun..

But then again, I probably just like the attention :wink:

Cruella
24th-November-2006, 08:36 AM
Personally I quite like Birthday dances - they give a sense of community :hug: , allow you a 'Birthday treat' :respect: of dancing with all your friends
I had one last year and it was nice, but i was worried that no-one would get up and dance with me :blush: It's only 3-4 minutes out of a freestyle session, hardly a great loss to the 'Miseries' like RobD :wink: to help make the birthday girl/boy feel special.

Frankie_4711
24th-November-2006, 09:30 AM
Never experienced a birthday dance as Rob described - birthday celebratory things I've seen/participated in have all been group affairs like a snowball (birthday boy/girl starts in centre with chosen partner with everyone else in a circle around them, then after a short time, they break off and each find another partner from the circle - so now 4 people dancing - then after a while they all do the same and it snowballs until everyone is dancing) or (think it was called a) bus stop (??? Guys line up one side, ladies the other with birthday [in the instance I've seen] girl at the front, and the first two people in line come together in the middle, guy giving birthday girl a kiss on the way past, and dance their way down the centre as the next two then follow suit.) which I think is better than just the birthday girl/boy dancing. I wouldn't complain if I got some kind of birthday dance, whatever kind it was, but wouldn't expect one or be disappointed if I didn't get one, and have happily participated in all those that I've seen.

Daydreaming Diva
24th-November-2006, 10:06 AM
Never experienced a birthday dance as Rob described - birthday celebratory things I've seen/participated in have all been group affairs like a snowball (birthday boy/girl starts in centre with chosen partner with everyone else in a circle around them, then after a short time, they break off and each find another partner from the circle - so now 4 people dancing - then after a while they all do the same and it snowballs until everyone is dancing).

I think birthday dances are lovely - like receiving a present from everyone who holds you in esteem. I've never been treated to one, but live in hope (will probably be at Jag Jive - Bookham on my birthday this year unless I get a better offer :wink: :wink: ). I have participated in them though and watched when I didn't know the person.

It is a great way to treat a birthday girl/boy on their special day when they have chosen to spend it with their dancing friends. I agree that this is better if it is on a class night where everyone in the room is probably known in some way by the person in question. However, it can work at a freestyle in the manner that Frankie 4711 suggests.

So, you spoil sports. Don't be so sad. Give your friends a birthday dance present, its only 3-4 minutes out of your freestyle and for those who don't want to take part, take the opportunity and go and change your teashirt or buy yourself a drink!!! :respect:

Shodan
24th-November-2006, 10:58 AM
I think they are really fun and I've taken part in loads of other peoples birthday dances. I haven't had a birthday dance for myself yet as I don't let people know when my birthday is. :grin:

robd
24th-November-2006, 11:44 AM
It's only 3-4 minutes out of a freestyle session, hardly a great loss to the 'Miseries' like RobD :wink: to help make the birthday girl/boy feel special.

Dancing with you is enough to make anyone miserable BUT I should say that the loss of 3-4 mins freestyle to accomodate a BD doesn't bother me - in fact it's a handy break to get a drink, change a top, whatever. I stated my reasons for not being keen on BDs in my original post.

Northants Girly
24th-November-2006, 12:12 PM
I think they are nice and I certainly don't mind when other people have them but
I don't like being the centre of attention
:yeah: me neither
so I've never joined in anyone else's and I would be completely embarassed to have my own :blush:

Twirly
24th-November-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't like being the centre of attention

:yeah:

I hate being watched! :blush: My dancing would go to pieces and I'd just get really embarrassed. But I'd participate in someone else's if they were happy to do it - I'd assume that the brief time I'd be dancing, people's attention would be on the birthday boy/girl, not on me.

I'd rather have a proper 3-4 minutes dance with all concerned. :flower:

Daisy Chain
24th-November-2006, 01:07 PM
What a ghastly idea. I'd just die... Thank heavens they don't happen round here.

I think this belongs at a private party, not a public event.

Daisy

(A Happily Unbirthdayed Little Flower)

Dreadful Scathe
24th-November-2006, 01:17 PM
I think its a nice social thing to do Ive taken part in loads but never been offered one myself. I've seen the tramp in at least one too ;) his memory is fading :)

TheTramp
24th-November-2006, 01:25 PM
I've seen the tramp in at least one too ;) his memory is fading :)

I've danced in them. When it's been other people's. And the other option is sitting out for a whole dance!

I've never had one for my own birthday.... And I still don't want one either.

David Bailey
24th-November-2006, 02:18 PM
Not a big fan of them - possibly because I've been traumatized by the equivalent at salsa.

If I had to listen to one more rendition of that dumbass "Happy Birthday To You" salsa track I think I'd explode :mad:

Shodan
24th-November-2006, 02:51 PM
If I had to listen to one more rendition of that dumbass "Happy Birthday To You" salsa track I think I'd explode :mad:
I do salsa as well, and I've never heard that track. Would be interested to hear it. But only once though as it sounds like it could be annoying. :nice:

David Bailey
24th-November-2006, 02:54 PM
I do salsa as well, and I've never heard that track. Would be interested to hear it. But only once though as it sounds like it could be annoying. :nice:
I'll give you a clue - the end chorus is "Happy Birthday to you" :rolleyes:

Shodan
24th-November-2006, 02:55 PM
I'll give you a clue - the end chorus is "Happy Birthday to you" :rolleyes:
http://www.fadeware.net/forum/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gifhttp://www.fadeware.net/forum/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Cruella
24th-November-2006, 02:59 PM
Dancing with you is enough to make anyone miserable .
You really deserve an infraction for that comment! :whistle:

Sparkles
24th-November-2006, 04:14 PM
You really deserve an infraction for that comment! :whistle:

Don't say things like that - then he'll be "in" with all the cool kids and will be even more impossible! :rolleyes:

tiger
24th-November-2006, 07:53 PM
For; as long as the birthday person is willingly doing it rather than doing it to keep others happy.

and for those who dont like them disrupting their freestyle for all of 3/4/5 mins; for god sake be a little less selfish. One track is hardly going to ruin your night.

MartinHarper
24th-November-2006, 08:33 PM
Apologies if this has been covered before

It hasn't that I can find, but we have had a couple of brief threads on the wider topic of "jams" (a birthday dance is a type of jam).
" JAMS "do we like them? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6858)
Dance Jams (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6091)

Alice
25th-November-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm very much for birthday dances- I think they're a wonderful gift to the birthday person and very much like an extended group hug:wink: I do think there's a time and a place for them though- great at the smaller venues where everybody knows each other, but not so good at a freestyle event or larger venue.

I don't think they should be "compulsory" for someone who didn't want one either- if they're not going to enjoy it there's no point!!

Like Sparkles though I think I'd be disappointed if I had a birthday dance and someone I cared about refused to participate... I'd just have to bash them up afterwards:devil: :wink:

I loved my birthday dance though:awe: :clap: :clap:

SuzyQ
25th-November-2006, 12:47 PM
I think they are lovely and whoever said it gives a sense of community is right (in my opinion)!

Unfortunately someone assumed that I would be too shy and retiring (er - yeah right) to want to do mine this year so they took the chance away from me :sad:

This week at Fleet our door boy turned 18. He doesn't dance but he very manfully ploughed through a birthday dance.

Beowulf
25th-November-2006, 01:00 PM
I've never seen or heard of these being done before. I would have no objection if someone in the venue was to have one, and would be flattered (unlikely as it is) if I was asked up.. but I wouldn't like one for myself..

spindr
25th-November-2006, 11:00 PM
Unfortunately someone assumed that I would be too shy and retiring (er - yeah right) to want to do mine this year so they took the chance away from me :sad:
You can have an unbirthday dance any time.
SpinDr

Icey
26th-November-2006, 12:03 AM
I got to share my first birthday-snowball-dance-thingie with Lory and Zebra Woman at Ashtons last summer :grin: I really enjoyed it but did feel a little exposed and on my own until more people were dancing.

Genie
26th-November-2006, 12:03 AM
I have seen them done for leavers, which I think is ok. But with the number of people at some of our nights, and therefore the frequency of birthdays, I think they're not very constructive. I think a personal birthday dance with all those people who are friends to you would mean more.

Lynn
26th-November-2006, 02:08 AM
Personally I quite like Birthday dances - they give a sense of community :hug: I agree. Our local venues are small enough (and there are other overlapping social circles so that people know each other outside of class as well) to have that sense of community already and I think a birthday dance adds to that. I've also seen people who are along for their first few weeks join in the circle and feel 'part' of everything. A lot of our local dancers are also not yet at the stage of 'dancing every or as many as possible tracks' in an evening so don't mind the interuption.

At a bigger venue, I think probably not such a good idea. Partly because people want to freestyle as much as possible but mainly because there are more people, thus more birthdays and a more frequent occurance.

ALexyMiss
26th-November-2006, 02:28 AM
I think birthday dances are nice personally, and I enjoy watching them and participating if appropriate, but could understand that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

I think I'd enjoy it because I'd get to dance with lots of people :clap: and they'd probably do some of their best moves to show off to anyone watching :waycool:

Shame I didn't even know what a birthday dance was when it was my birthday last month :blush: Will have to wait a whole year for my turn to come around again :sad:

In terms of participating, I've done it once so far, and it definitely got the adrenalin pumping, you do feel quite under the spotlight, but I guess it's nothing compared to peforming in a competition or cabaret. :nice:

Spin dryer
26th-November-2006, 04:37 PM
Maybe it's just my overactive imagination, but I think that there's something faintly sleazy about them.

Trouble
26th-November-2006, 04:54 PM
Maybe it's just my overactive imagination, but I think that there's something faintly sleazy about them.

resist Michele,,,,,,,,,removes hands from keyboard.

David Bailey
26th-November-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm clearly having a Sunday afternoon moment, 'cos I don't understand anything, but why?

fletch
26th-November-2006, 05:39 PM

oooooo can I book mine now :D

I will be at 'chill' for my birthday :wink:

:clap:

Daisy Chain
26th-November-2006, 07:37 PM

you think they might involve birthday suits?

Thank gawd I'm too old to have any more birthdays...

Daisy

(A Traumatised Little Flower)

whitetiger1518
27th-November-2006, 11:18 AM
I've never seen or heard of these being done before. I would have no objection if someone in the venue was to have one, and would be flattered (unlikely as it is) if I was asked up.. but I wouldn't like one for myself..

I agree with Beo...... :eek:

*Goes for a quiet lie down in a darkened room* :rofl:

Whitetiger

Double Trouble
27th-November-2006, 11:22 AM
It was my birthday at Camber in November. No one gave me a Birthday dance.:tears:

David Bailey
27th-November-2006, 11:27 AM
It was my birthday at Camber in November. No one gave me a Birthday dance.:tears:
Did you want a sleazy one?

I'm still wondering why they are sleazy? :confused:

philsmove
27th-November-2006, 11:52 AM
They had a great one in Bristol
Were they guy was blindfolded and he had to guess who he was dancing with
All went well until he failed to recognise his wife

I think they are great at a small class, were we all know each other. but I would not like one at a big event

Frankie_4711
27th-November-2006, 06:43 PM
They had a great one in Bristol
Were they guy was blindfolded and he had to guess who he was dancing with

Love that idea

All went well until he failed to recognise his wife

:eek: Uh-oh!

Double Trouble
27th-November-2006, 06:53 PM

I didn't say they were sleazy, don't blame me for Spin Dryer's comments. I don't have my hand up his @rse working his strings you know, well, not all the time anyway.:sick:

David Bailey
27th-November-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't have my hand up his @rse working his strings you know, well, not all the time anyway.:sick:
You're not making yourself any more attractive as a dance partner you know :na:

TheTramp
27th-November-2006, 07:35 PM
You're not making yourself any more attractive as a dance partner you know :na:

I'd want to see evidence of disinfectant use before ever dancing with you again! :yum:

Double Trouble
27th-November-2006, 07:39 PM

I'd want to see evidence of disinfectant use before ever dancing with you again! :yum:

Calm down boys. I use a glove. :what: :D :what:

Spin dryer
28th-November-2006, 12:42 AM

Think about dancing being the vertical representation of the horizontal and you should be enlightened.

Tazmanian Devil
28th-November-2006, 02:53 AM
Personally I quite like Birthday dances - they give a sense of community :hug: , allow you a 'Birthday treat' :respect: of dancing with all your friends and are quite a unique whirlwind of styles that I enjoy very much:clap: :drool:.
:yeah: I think Birthday dances are good fun. When the Charlton venue was open we always done something for peoples birthday Kelly always came up with fun ways of going into freestyle so as the Birthday Boy/Girl had their birthday dance and we also done cake :drool:

David Bailey
28th-November-2006, 09:09 AM
Think about dancing being the vertical representation of the horizontal and you should be enlightened.
Yeah, thanks for that. That never occurred to me before. Huh.

Seriously, why are birthday dances especially sleazy, compared to, well, dances in general? I honestly don't get it?

Using that analogy, are you suggesting that because birthday dances are with loads of people, it's sending off "promiscuity" signals? :confused:

Or am I thinking about this way too much? :blush:

Juju
28th-November-2006, 12:03 PM
Seriously, why are birthday dances especially sleazy, compared to, well, dances in general? I honestly don't get it?

:yeah: Don't get it.

In fact I don't get any of it. Maybe I'm too innocent.. all that stuff about the balcony at Ashtons and what people get up to at weekenders... where am I when all this is going on?

Sulking now.

Gav
28th-November-2006, 12:10 PM
Surely a dance is only sleazy if one or both of the people dancing are being sleazy? It has little or nothing to do with the setting.
"Sorry if I was a bit sleazy, not my fault it was a birthday dance"?????

Don't worry about the weekender and balcony rumours Juju. It's just a few shameful individuals trying to make themselves feel better by pretending that it's what everyone does! :na: :na: :na: :D

Wuzzle
28th-November-2006, 11:46 PM
Witnessed a leaving dance last week. Was told that its done also for birthdays. Looked alright, whether or not i'd be up for taking part or be under the spotlight is another matter....