PDA

View Full Version : How to STOP bad floorcraft

Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 05:01 PM
Ok, so lets see what we feel should be done when somebody knocks you flying as they are ignorant on the dance floor. Fulham being the worse place for this it seems....

What do we think.??

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 05:05 PM
I quite liked this example of dealing with it:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=310647&postcount=97

It might be a bit extreme if someone just bumps into you gently though....

Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 05:08 PM

Trampy, thats the vince slap option :D

robd
23rd-November-2006, 05:08 PM
Call in the real ROCKY aka SilverFox to give offenders the old one-two

Franck, new smilies needed.... :right: :left: :uppercut: :KO!:

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 05:10 PM
Trampy, thats the vince slap option :D

Ah. But when I posted that, the poll wasn't up. I didn't know that you were going to be doing one....

(And all in capitals too. Where's a moderator when you need one!!)

Gav
23rd-November-2006, 05:11 PM
I say throw your partner at them. :D

David Bailey
23rd-November-2006, 05:15 PM
That's the "fulham option" isn't it? :whistle:

(And all in capitals too. Where's a moderator when you need one!!)
Oh, OK then.

Blimey... :rolleyes:

Trouble

:rofl: GAVSLAP

SilverFox
I say throw your partner at them. :DThere are some folk out there that would quite enjoy having a 'Fletch' lobbed at 'em.....:what:

MartinHarper
23rd-November-2006, 05:16 PM
Interesting that better teaching isn't on the list.

Oh, sorry, let me rephrase that.

INTERESTING THAT BETTER TEACHING ISN'T ON THE LIST!!!!!!!!

David Franklin
23rd-November-2006, 05:16 PM
I say throw your partner at them. :DAerial floorsweep - it's the only way to be sure...

Gav
23rd-November-2006, 05:17 PM
There are some folk out there that would quite enjoy having a 'Fletch' lobbed at 'em.....:what:

The "Fletch Lob", Oeer missus. :yum:

Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 05:18 PM
Interesting that better teaching isn't on the list.

Oh, sorry, let me rephrase that.

INTERESTING THAT BETTER TEACHING ISN'T ON THE LIST!!!!!!!!

i find capitals help the older forumites who cant see properly. :yum: :whistle:

Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 05:20 PM
The "Fletch Lob", Oeer missus. :yum:

just two things come to mind when receiving the "Fletch Lob".. :whistle:

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 05:21 PM
i find capitals help the older forumites who cant see properly. :yum: :whistle:

Speaking as one of the older forumites, reading capitals is a pain in the neck. And usually, I just don't bother, and skip on past them. :flower:

Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 05:22 PM
Speaking as one of the older forumites, reading capitals is a pain in the neck. And usually, I just don't bother, and skip on past them. :flower:

ok .....im a learner poster....STOP HAVING A GO AT ME. sorry didn't mean to shout, but you will skip past that anyway wont ya. :flower:

Stuart M
23rd-November-2006, 05:33 PM
Refer you to a list of foolproof floorcraft techniques here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=271225#post271225).

Otherwise, that thread contains some genuinely useful stuff, and links to other useful stuff.

Clueless
23rd-November-2006, 05:34 PM
Some of these are a thought. I normally glace a dirty loook if they dont apologise or acknowledge that you are there.

Though the "Nuke from Orbit" option did provided some comical value, just the mental image it conjours

Gav
23rd-November-2006, 05:37 PM

You sure it's safe to skip at your age? :na: :D

Clueless
23rd-November-2006, 05:48 PM

Are you sure it is safe to skip at all? :whistle:

Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 06:02 PM

:D cheeky bugger... im a young gal i am... :whistle:

SeriouslyAddicted
23rd-November-2006, 06:08 PM

Yeah but what happens if your partner is the one knocking you flying - yes Woodface I'm talking about you!

Love ya really! :kiss:

Gav
23rd-November-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah but what happens if your partner is the one knocking you flying - yes Woodface I'm talking about you!

Love ya really! :kiss:

that's easy, next time he leads an accordian flamenco, punch him in the knackers with your right hand. Easy mistake to make.

I never did find out what I did to deserve that? :tears:

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-November-2006, 07:50 PM
Speaking as one of the older forumites

aah but you look good for your age.

72 right ? :)

Navy Girl
23rd-November-2006, 08:04 PM

I laughed so hard when i read the url!! Good on you!!! On that note i would like to apologise for evey single time an errant partner has sent me flying into another dance... I humble grovel at all your feet!!! :worthy: I have to admit while aberdeen is generally not that bad wed nite i jumpin jaks has come very close on occasion http://s.bebo.com/img/smiley_laugh.gif

Juju
24th-November-2006, 01:14 AM
I voted for nuking, but only because I like the film.

Flat_Eric
24th-November-2006, 09:24 AM
Ahh ! That's the thread I was looking for. Talking about individual floorcraft, I'd like to get the fellowship's take on another interesting behaviour: ladies' hair whipping done while spinning.

Hair whipping can be fun: the girl, esp. if she has long untied hair, creates this razor sharp defense around her and keeps the man at an honourable distance. On his side, the leader wants, of course, should try do get close and pins down any victorious trespassing with a close stop, after which the next round starts.

Observation also revealed that hair whipping can effectively be used as an effective protection against male sleaze, in part. if it comes from behind.

This being said, some girls abuse this outrageously. Some start hipping without notice and flagellate your retina with delight. I even had the case of a partner, at Ashtons, who half-snapped my eyeball out with a tightly thick short pony tail. I was nowhere close, but she bent her head in the spin to get it closer to my face and make sure she hit. The pain was so sharp I stopped dancing for 20 mins and had my dancing mood gone for the rest of the night. Would she have been a man, I would probably have wanted to check the colour of her guts by squeezing them until they got out her nostrils but, because she was a girl and it's not always good to be impulsive, I did not say anything.

So:
1- I'd like it to be publicly known that, from now on, unsolicited abusive armful hair whipping will result in me leaving the floor immediately without further ado, leaving the woman on the spot without explanantion, with dance boycott applied to her for an undefined period of time. I encourage all male forumites to follow this line of conduct and register their interest here

2- I am interested to hear the views of both parties. Maybe I'm hipping the thing, maybe I am too close. I wouldn't think so, but you never know...

Gav
24th-November-2006, 09:41 AM
1- I'd like it to be publicly known that, from now on, unsolicited abusive armful hair whipping will result in me leaving the floor immediately without further ado, leaving the woman on the spot without explanantion, with dance boycott applied to her for an undefined period of time. I encourage all male forumites to follow this line of conduct and register their interest here

Can't tell if you're actually serious or not, but just in case, NO!

It happened to me once, I pointed it out to her. We worked out a solution between us.

If you'd rather abandon a lady on the dancefloor with no explanation for something as easily resolved as this, that's up to you. Just don't do it to any of my friends. :angry:

Sheesh, aerials on a crowded dancefloor? fine get upset, "vinceslap" if you like, but someone's hair getting in your way? Try talking to them about it and finding a grown up solution!

SilverFox
24th-November-2006, 10:16 AM
You've clearly never been hair-whipped by Sparkles. :drool:

Accept no substitute. :cool:

Gav
24th-November-2006, 10:20 AM

Hehehe, are we still talking about things that happen on the dancefloor SF? :rolleyes:

Trouble
24th-November-2006, 11:02 AM
hair whipping when covered in sweat is my speciality. :respect: :whistle:

Shodan
24th-November-2006, 11:09 AM
Just like to point out something here:

There is a difference between a guy sending a lady out, and the lady not stopping her own momentum.

I have a rather light lead most of the time unless I really want the lady to move. So take for example a "Man spin" move - I draw the lady lightly towards me at the start and do my man spin. BUT, some ladies think its fun to make the move really big and move a long way - same with an "Octopus" move and they dont take their own momentum and keep going back without looking at where they are in relation to others.

Now I'm only a thin weakling of a chap. If a lady is intent on doing this time of action I can't really stop her before she hits some chap behind.

But the really annoying thing is, *I* as the bloke get the blame for it. I didnt lead a big move as I'm constantly looking at the space available and know the floor is busy etc. I've even had blokes come up to me after some dances telling me to go back to beginners and learn some basic floor spacing techniques. ***, I'm trying desperately to keep the lady in a confined space but she insists on extending and making the move bigger than it needs to be.

So its not necessarily us guys that are causing the bumps and bad floorplay - note, what I have said above also exists in really good dancers that think they are too good to be bothered to look where they are going. :rolleyes:

-------
But to answer the question, if I do make a genuine bump, I stop and check everyone involved is fine/uninjured and apologise if its my fault. :nice:

Clueless
24th-November-2006, 11:12 AM
sounds quite sadistic but sometime I put my partner into a massive spin and get whipped in the face and it can be quite fun...dunno it just makes me laugh! http://s.bebo.com/img/smiley_laugh.gif

Gav
24th-November-2006, 11:18 AM
Just like to point out something here:

There is a difference between a guy sending a lady out, and the lady not stopping her own momentum.

I have a rather light lead most of the time unless I really want the lady to move. So take for example a "Man spin" move - I draw the lady lightly towards me at the start and do my man spin. BUT, some ladies think its fun to make the move really big and move a long way - same with an "Octopus" move and they dont take their own momentum and keep going back without looking at where they are in relation to others.

Now I'm only a thin weakling of a chap. If a lady is intent on doing this time of action I can't really stop her before she hits some chap behind.

But the really annoying thing is, *I* as the bloke get the blame for it. I didnt lead a big move as I'm constantly looking at the space available and know the floor is busy etc. I've even had blokes come up to me after some dances telling me to go back to beginners and learn some basic floor spacing techniques. ***, I'm trying desperately to keep the lady in a confined space but she insists on extending and making the move bigger than it needs to be.

So its not necessarily us guys that are causing the bumps and bad floorplay - note, what I have said above also exists in really good dancers that think they are too good to be bothered to look where they are going. :rolleyes:

-------
But to answer the question, if I do make a genuine bump, I stop and check everyone involved is fine/uninjured and apologise if its my fault. :nice:

Have to be honest, I'd never considered that because I don't have a problem with keeping my arm bent or "reigning" her in if there's not enough room. It's probably the only time when my lead becomes very strong, if I'm trying to "steer" my partner away from trouble (not you, Michele :flower: ). I did have to apologise to a partner recently when a steer became a yank, but it was the only way I could see of avoiding the lady coming flying straight at us!
There's one lady I can't reign in, she a bit on the large side and very, very energetic, so I just have to make sure that there's no-one nearby when I dance with her. She has a habit of throwing herself at the floor anyway! :D

Get yourself down the Gym Shodan and build up those shoulders! :rofl:

Shodan
24th-November-2006, 11:21 AM
Sorry, I'm not saying it correctly- *I* am correctly poised - have my arms bent and from my perspective am "reigning" her. BUT I can't stop her from NOT keeping her arms bent. So if she decides to relax her arms so they fully extend outwards, then I can't stop her from taking one or two extra footsteps backwards.

If the lady has her arms bent and tensioned correctly then yes I am strong enough to hold her in. But if shes relax about that and doesnt take her own "changing sides" momentum, then I am in some cases unable to stop her momentum before she hits someone.

Flat_Eric
24th-November-2006, 11:24 AM
It happened to me once...

I am serious. Maybe the point did not get accross but my impression is that some ladies hair-whip eyes **intentionnally** and take pleasure in doing so, ie enjoy hurting guys' eyes. It is that practice I am cruisading against.

Am I deluding myself? Is the lady-hair intentional hair-whipping just in my imagination?

Gav
24th-November-2006, 11:29 AM
Sorry, I'm not saying it correctly- *I* am correctly poised - have my arms bent and from my perspective am "reigning" her. BUT I can't stop her from NOT keeping her arms bent. So if she decides to relax her arms so they fully extend outwards, then I can't stop her from taking one or two extra footsteps backwards.

If the lady has her arms bent and tensioned correctly then yes I am strong enough to hold her in. But if shes relax about that and doesnt take her own "changing sides" momentum, then I am in some cases unable to stop her momentum before she hits someone.

I see... in that case, sorry I implied that you're shoulders aren't up to the job! :blush:

I am serious. Maybe the point did not get accross but my impression is that some ladies hair-whip eyes **intentionnally** and take pleasure in doing so, ie enjoy hurting guys' eyes. It is that practice I am cruisading against.

Am I deluding myself? Is the lady-hair intentional hair-whipping just in my imagination?

Wow, I never imagined that they'd do it deliberately (except at that club on King Street, but you pay quite a lot for that sort of attention :blush: )

robd
24th-November-2006, 11:32 AM

I don't know. LilyB certainly runs her very close : ouch :

TheTramp
24th-November-2006, 11:33 AM

I would imagine so. Unless you've really done something to **** them off. :flower:

Paulthetrainer
24th-November-2006, 11:34 AM

I warn you Serious, Woodface is not a man to be trifled with....

Legend has it, that at High Rocks once, he felled a man with just the two end fingers of his left hand, simply for wearing an odd shirt.

In fact, I think I even once caught a glimpse of a much, much younger Woodface in Bruce Lee's 1972 cult martial arts film 'Enter the Dragon'.

Once the apprentice...now The Master...:worthy:

Shodan
24th-November-2006, 11:36 AM
I see... in that case, sorry I implied that you're shoulders aren't up to the job! :blush:
If you put your hands on my shoulders you would wonder how I ever manage to dance. The creak and crunch like nobodies business. I don't feel it at all, but say when doing a "First Move" move and the lady places her hand on my right shoulder they go "owww... thats freaky" as they can feel all the bones crunching around. :really::rofl:

Gav
24th-November-2006, 11:48 AM
If you put your hands on my shoulders you would wonder how I ever manage to dance. The creak and crunch like nobodies business. I don't feel it at all, but say when doing a "First Move" move and the lady places her hand on my right shoulder they go "owww... thats freaky" as they can feel all the bones crunching around. :really::rofl:

Mine do that when I practice QiGong. Perfectly harmless, but it does sound and feel a little odd!

Lory
24th-November-2006, 12:37 PM
I've never intentionally whipped someone across the face, although it has happened :blush:

Tip, if your the same height as me, try not to spin me fast :flower:

Clueless
25th-November-2006, 06:17 PM
well obviously someone was doing it fast and I dont think it can be done intentionally IMO

Think about it - centrifugal force increases the faster an object spins - so when we spin the girls the hair and talles on clothes will spread out and the faster they go the more the 'whipping effect' there wil be!

Baruch
28th-November-2006, 12:32 AM
I voted for "dirty look" but I must admit that if there's a persistent offender who is constantly bashing into me or my partner and taking up my space and there's nowhere else for me to go, I sometimes take a different course of action. At times like that, I occasionally will position myself so my back is to them and then move myself backwards into "their" space until they get the hint.

Note: I don't do this often, and only to persistent offenders who don't apologise when they bump into you, often hard, because they're not looking where they're going.

My personal pet hate is when there's sufficient space on the dance floor but some couple suddenly walks on and starts dancing about 20 centimetres away from me in the space my partner just left as she stepped in for a first move or whatever. Do these people not have eyes? (I've even had this happen when there were only about 10 couples on the dance floor!)

MartinHarper
28th-November-2006, 12:55 AM
well obviously someone was doing it fast and I dont think it can be done intentionally IMO

Well, a number of times I've seen Debbie Attwood do single spins with extra head movement to increase the movement of her hair during the spin. It seems to be a combination of spotting with tilting the head back. It looks very dramatic. I've also seen Rumba dancers do it, which I guess is where she got it from (or possibly rock and roll?).

I've always been slightly paranoid about whipping someone with my own hair, but nobody's said anything so far, so hopefully it's ok.

killingtime
28th-November-2006, 01:34 PM

I've found this as well. I try and keep the dance close and my partner insists on completely extending her arm. I also find this can really break the connection at that stage as well and you really feel like you are pulling on her shoulder instead (which means I'm even less inclined to try a heavier lead). There is certainly a few times that I've been involved in bumping into people where this was the case.

However saying that I still think I have more to learn about floorcraft myself. I still bump into people where it is my fault (I think less than the amount of times people bump into me where it was there fault). I generally am good at looking at spaces but it seems more of a snapshot in my mind (so I get the current positions without vectors).

Maybe I'm more prone to dancing at the edge of the dancefloor now but there seems an increasing amount of people who are walking around the dancefloor (by themselves) without any care about the dancers on it or people who grab a partner and beeline for a spot without care :angry:.

Anyway I'll always try and apologise for bumping into people (or my partner to bumping into people) even if I think that it wasn't me who caused it.

A bit of hair whipping can be cool :waycool:.

Gav
28th-November-2006, 01:39 PM
I've never intentionally whipped someone across the face, although it has happened :blush:

Tip, if your the same height as me, try not to spin me fast :flower:

mmmm, you caught me once or twice on Friday, but it wasn't a problem. Barely noticed it really. Just don't go braiding barbed wire into your hair and it'll be fine! :D

Twirly
28th-November-2006, 01:55 PM
Out of curiousity, how much input do leads expect from follows re. floorcraft?

There's all this stuff about "it's the lead's job to lead and their fault if it goes wrong", but I'm often aware of potential collisions on the dancefloor that he (cause it usually is a he) cannot possibly see as they are behind him (catapult is a classic one). I often have to "throw" a move to avoid the collision, but because things move quite fast, there isn't time to explain why I've done it (apart from the rather startled cry I tend to let out :blush: ), and of course the other couple have probably moved away by now.

Any thoughts?

Gav
28th-November-2006, 01:59 PM

There's all this stuff about "it's the lead's job to lead and their fault if it goes wrong", but I'm often aware of potential collisions on the dancefloor that he (cause it usually is a he) cannot possibly see as they are behind him (catapult is a classic one). I often have to "throw" a move to avoid the collision, but because things move quite fast, there isn't time to explain why I've done it (apart from the rather startled cry I tend to let out :blush: ), and of course the other couple have probably moved away by now.

Any thoughts?

Absolutely. If you see something that I can't see, haven't seen or won't see cos I'm off in my own little world, then react to it. Floorcraft is EVERYONE's responsibility.
If I go to throw you, spinning across the floor into a knot of people and you stop me in some way and point it out, once I recover from dying of embarassment, I'll thank you for it. :blush:

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 02:04 PM
Also the lead can not beheld responsible if the woman does something unexpected like flailing limbs or deciding to go in the other direction.

Danced with one woman once who sudenly decided to do a icebreaker (think they are refered to as floor arials). Have no idea what she was thinking. Just missed a few people. It then looked as if I had put her in to that move!!

Floorcraft is everyones responsibility, not just mine. lol

TheTramp
28th-November-2006, 03:13 PM
Maybe I'm more prone to dancing at the edge of the dancefloor now but there seems an increasing amount of people who are walking around the dancefloor (by themselves) without any care about the dancers on it or people who grab a partner and beeline for a spot without care :angry:.

I've ranted about this before. But not for a while. So I'll give it another go now! :D

Yes, the people who walk onto the dancefloor without looking where they are going - often backwards annoy me.

As do the people who think that point B on the other side of the dancefloor can only be reached by walking in a straight line across the dancefloor mid-song.

As do the people who stand chatting on the dancefloor while there's music playing.

As do the people who stand, watching the dancing, 4(+) feet into the dancefloor, taking up space on a crowded dancefloor - making anyone who wants to walk past them walk even further into the dancefloor to get around them. There was one guy on Saturday at Hammersmith doing this - I gently bumped into him 3 times, 'accidentally', in the hope that he'd get the message. But he was way too stupid apparently! :whistle:

killingtime
28th-November-2006, 03:19 PM
There's all this stuff about "it's the lead's job to lead and their fault if it goes wrong", but I'm often aware of potential collisions on the dancefloor that he (cause it usually is a he) cannot possibly see as they are behind him (catapult is a classic one).

Any thoughts?

Yes do try and alert the lead. I tend to find a few followers apply extra tension (and not just because they are panicking) that will alert me to something, most of the time, given the context of a move it's obvious what she is indicating. I would say it's sort of like backseat driving, though, often a lead can do a walk planning on doing a lunge fairly close to another couple. If you are pointing out every time you get anywhere near other dancers then the lead will probably quickly stop listening.

I tend to look back during a catapult. You can move your head to your right side and glance behind you. Also if the lead moves forward to meet the woman she basically can fill the spot he was in therefore it should be pretty "safe".

MartinHarper
28th-November-2006, 03:29 PM

Expect? None. Desire? Lots. Dancing with a follow with good floorcraft is a wonderful experience.

Twirly
28th-November-2006, 03:36 PM
Expect? None. Desire? Lots. Dancing with a follow with good floorcraft is a wonderful experience.

Can you give a bit more info about what you would like? I like to think that mine is pretty good, but have little idea of what I could/should be doing. Bearing in mind that "letting the lead know" is virtually impossible if you're in a near miss situation.

Shodan
28th-November-2006, 04:16 PM
Our entire dance club in Exeter got "told off" via the teacher on the stage a couple of weeks back. He basically pointed out that people randomly walking around the floor / standing on the edge of the floor / bringing dance partners onto the floor - its THEIR responsibility to avoid the dancers and not ruin the dances underway.

Which is true. :nice:

Clueless
28th-November-2006, 04:17 PM
Our entire dance club in Exeter got "told off" via the teacher on the stage a couple of weeks back. He basically pointed out that people randomly walking around the floor / standing on the edge of the floor / bringing dance partners onto the floor - its THEIR responsibility to avoid the dancers and not ruin the dances underway.

:clap: :worthy: :clap:

If I was wearing a hat I would take it off to your teacher

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 04:26 PM

Absoultly. And they quite often do it carrying a tray of drinks.

Idiots!!!!!

MartinHarper
28th-November-2006, 04:45 PM
Can you give a bit more info about what you would like? I like to think that mine is pretty good, but have little idea of what I could/should be doing. Bearing in mind that "letting the lead know" is virtually impossible if you're in a near miss situation.

Bear in mind that my own floorcraft as a follower is abysmal. Women I've danced with have, at times ...

... do the "rugby hand off" thing with other dancers. Placing a spare hand on their back to let them know they are there.
... exercise some control over their direction and size of travel in a sending-out-move.
... stop me moving backwards (via the connection) when I'm about to move into someone.
... adjust the size of their steps and their styling to fit the conditions.
... adjust the distance they go from me in open position.
... expunge backsteps from their dancing in tight conditions.
... suggest that we leave the floor as it's got too crowded for comfort.

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 05:16 PM
Bear in mind that my own floorcraft as a follower is abysmal. Women I've danced with have, at times ...

... do the "rugby hand off" thing with other dancers. Placing a spare hand on their back to let them know they are there.
... exercise some control over their direction and size of travel in a sending-out-move.
... stop me moving backwards (via the connection) when I'm about to move into someone.

Then they are good dancers. If only we were all like that.

Can someone explain the whole vinceslap thing?

Gav
28th-November-2006, 05:19 PM
Then they are good dancers. If only we were all like that.

Can someone explain the whole vinceslap thing?

Look here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=310647&postcount=97)

Clueless
28th-November-2006, 05:25 PM
Look here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=310647&postcount=97)

No matter how many times I read it, it never fails to make me chuckle!

Twirly
28th-November-2006, 05:28 PM

Well I've never had to do the rugby hand thing, but I think and hope that I do most of the other things to some extent. Although I'm at the stage where my awareness of what's going on around me is still developing - by which I mean that I've gained enough confidence to not have to purely concentrate on the moves that are being lead, depending on the complexity, and can pay more attention to what is happening around me. Have certainly suggested moving our position on the dancefloor a few times. Will bear this in mind and try to be more aware, earlier. Thanks.

Clueless
28th-November-2006, 05:31 PM
Martin: well said but when I dance and if I bump into someone I make sure I either acknowledge them and apologise or if I fail that I catch them after the dance and apologise

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 05:33 PM

:rofl:

spindr
28th-November-2006, 05:49 PM
Some ladies seem incapable of not doing rondes on a crowded floor.
SpinDr

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 05:50 PM
SpinDr

I know the ones. Have been 'karate kid' swept by a few.

Clueless
28th-November-2006, 05:52 PM
SpinDr

What is a rondes?

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 05:56 PM
What is a rondes?

Its a Tango leg sweep

Gav
28th-November-2006, 05:59 PM
What is a rondes?

It's what the flash g1ts :na: call it when you sweep one foot out wide to the side as you step back.

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 06:02 PM
It's what the flash g1ts :na: call it when you sweep one foot out wide to the side as you step back.

you get more points if you take out the people dancing around you.

David Bailey
28th-November-2006, 06:05 PM
Its a Tango leg sweep
Err, no... a sweep is a "barrida", where the man, err, sweeps the ladies foot around.

Rondes in Tango terms would probably be classed as "adornos" (or "adornments" in proper language).

Possibly you're thinking of "planeos"?

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 06:08 PM
Err, no... a sweep is a "barrida", where the man, err, sweeps the ladies foot around.

Rondes in Tango terms would probably be classed as "adornos" (or "adornments" in proper language).

For those who are confused http://www.tejastango.com/terminology.html

Not meaning you DJ. Just with the terminology.

Ghost
28th-November-2006, 06:14 PM

For those who are confused http://www.tejastango.com/terminology.html

Or in other words
A barrida is when the lead leg sweeps their partner
A ronde is the tango style leg sweep against other dancers :devil: .

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 06:17 PM
Would it be considered bad floor craft to dance whilst drinking a beer even if you didn't spill any? :whistle:

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 06:17 PM
Would it be considered bad floor craft to dance whilst drinking a beer even if you didn't spill any? :whistle:

BTW this wasn't at a MJ event lol

Ghost
28th-November-2006, 06:19 PM

I suspect it would depend more on whether you collided with anyone whilst drinking the beer.

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 06:38 PM
I suspect it would depend more on whether you collided with anyone whilst drinking the beer.

Not to be tried at a MJ event I guess.

Lee Bartholomew
28th-November-2006, 09:58 PM
How not to dance on a crowded floor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gknBhUYguQ&mode=related&search=

Jhutch
29th-November-2006, 02:05 AM
I tend to look back during a catapult. You can move your head to your right side and glance behind you. Also if the lead moves forward to meet the woman she basically can fill the spot he was in therefore it should be pretty "safe".

I try to do a similar thing during a shoulder drop. I have watched on several occasions when a fair size gap in front of me has been invaded by 2 or 3 different couples with a gathering sense of horror (where is she going to so?):eek: - sometimes they appear right in front of me - in these cases i try to step back so we are more or less swapping positions - or try and send her out off to the side a bit

Jhutch
29th-November-2006, 02:09 AM
Am not sure whether i am embarrassed or not to say that i told someone to f- off on the dance floor once*:really: :blush: :angry: Happened at the 'into freestyle' bit (not at either of my normal venues). A couple from the line behind us just came crashing through hitting both me and my partner and proceeded to dance there only slowly moving back to their line:angry: No word of apology or any sign of apology was offered at all:angry:

*Ok, so this wasn't said very loud and i doubt they could hear it over the music

Lee Bartholomew
29th-November-2006, 02:12 AM
At the end of the day, accidents happen. the dancefloor can be unpredictable and no matter how well you look out for each other, there will be collisions.

It's not saying sorry that is the problem

Flat_Eric
29th-November-2006, 01:05 PM
At the end of the day, accidents happen. the dancefloor can be unpredictable and no matter how well you look out for each other, there will be collisions.

It's not saying sorry that is the problem

Not sure... I remember once at the Guinness centre, where I bumped into a couple that was behind me rather hard. The chap had a word with me afterwards and asked for apology I refused to give, as he had been turning his back on us and not checked where his dance was doing, the same way I had. That is not the mostintelligent piece of behaviour I've ever expressed.

Since reading Gadget's advice (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=271001&postcount=4): Assume it's your fault and apologise consecutively, I've started to apply it and its really one of the best recommendations you can get as far as good floor manners are involved.

Lee Bartholomew
29th-November-2006, 01:09 PM
I've been involved in the odd prang and always appologiesed even if it was clearly not my fault.

Makes for a better atmosphear if nothing else.

Clueless
29th-November-2006, 03:56 PM
It often takes a bigger man to say "I'm sorry" rather than argue you're innocence.

It quickly defuses the situation aswel