PDA

View Full Version : Any Mechanics out there

Lee Bartholomew
21st-November-2006, 07:44 PM
Anyone know if a clutch on a rover 218 SD is self adjusting?

Mine has started to slip pretty bad. Really need it over the next few days and will be doing a fair few miles in it. (about 500).

Any advise?

WittyBird
21st-November-2006, 07:53 PM
Anyone know if a clutch on a rover 218 SD is self adjusting?

Yes it is...I know this because everytime I put my foot on mine it adjusts to a different position.

Hence it's self adjusting :D

Lee Bartholomew
21st-November-2006, 07:56 PM
Yes it is...I know this because everytime I put my foot on mine it adjusts to a different position.

Hence it's self adjusting :D

:what: Headbutts desk in fustration

El Salsero Gringo
21st-November-2006, 07:58 PM
I speak not as an expert, but I believe all modern cars have self-adjusting clutches. That means when it starts to slip, the plates need to be replaced. How many miles has the car done since the clutch was last replaced?

Lee Bartholomew
21st-November-2006, 08:03 PM
It's an m reg rover. Think it was only done 20,000 miles or so ago. Just trying to dig ot SH for info on when it was last done.

Prob ready for knackers yard. Done 207,000 miles now (7,000) of them in the last 2 months mainly to dancing!!!)

David Bailey
21st-November-2006, 08:12 PM
Prob ready for knackers yard. Done 207,000 miles now (7,000) of them in the last 2 months mainly to dancing!!!)
You know, cars aren't really built for dancing. No wonder it's knackered.

Gav
21st-November-2006, 10:42 PM
I speak not as an expert, but I believe all modern cars have self-adjusting clutches. That means when it starts to slip, the plates need to be replaced. How many miles has the car done since the clutch was last replaced?

:yeah:

I speak as an ex expert, yes they all do. If it's relatively low miles then it's faulty, if its done a lot of miles, tough you wore it out.

You'd have to go back a lot of years to find a non self adjusting clutch

Chef
22nd-November-2006, 11:23 AM
As Gav says, if its done relatively low miles then the clutch is faulty and a warranty should cover it. The only other failure mode that I have come across is that the oil seal around the crankshaft next to the clutch can fail and result in engine oil being deposited into the clutch, causing it to slip.

If the clutch was replaced by a main garage or someone like quickfit then their warrantly should cover it. If it is the oil seal that has gone and is dropping oil onto the clutch then that wouldn't be covered by warranty. In that case it would be worth scrapping the car because, although the oil seal itself is very cheap, the labour costs involved in removing and stipping down the engine, replacing the oil seal and the trashed clutch, and putting it all together again is unlikely to be worth it for an M reg Rover.

Cars. Aren't they dead handy until they break down.

Jamie
23rd-November-2006, 03:06 AM
You know, cars aren't really built for dancing. No wonder it's knackered.

That made me giggle! :rofl: