PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc Logo

DavidY
26th-May-2003, 10:39 AM
You know the Ceroc logo (that's the one at the top left hand corner of this very page) which shows two people in some sort of dance position? Is it an actual Ceroc move? I've never seen it taught at any class or workshop I've been to...? :confused:

Maybe you have to progress to some sort of 'black belt' level Ceroc class to see it?

If on the other hand it's not a real move, I think we should at least invent a good name for it. :wink:

David

TheTramp
26th-May-2003, 10:47 AM
I think that the closest move would be the 'half loop', also known as the 'half tumble'.

Although, ideally, in that move, the girls legs wouldn't be quite as 'spread' as in the logo. And she'd be a little more vertical.

But besides that, it's almost the same :rolleyes:

And yes, you wouldn't teach the move at a normal ceroc night (I'd hope not anyhow!!)

Steve

Gadget
26th-May-2003, 12:55 PM
:rolleyes: I always thought that it was a bit hypocrytical (with all the stuff about air steps and how the only place for them was on an empty floor or in a show case) that Ceroc uses a logo with a blatent flinging of the lady.

Actually... does the one in the air not project the air of panic? Back arm thrown backwards as if expecting a fall, legs thrashing as if to keep balance... I think that it's a judo throw... just look at the stance of the black guy - well centered, legs spread; he could just have recovered from doing a leg-sweep on the grey one, lifting them to pile-drive head first into the floor!

:D

{I should cut back on those late-night king-fu movies :wink:}

Dance Demon
26th-May-2003, 01:25 PM
I always got the feeling that the two dancers were in this position of symetrical similarity, to make the logo look like a star shape. IMO I think it's quite clever:D

PS I have seen advanced cerocers do this kinda stuff, so it would make sense from a marketing point of view to show dancers at their most dynamic...to show how good you can get with practice.:devil:

jiveclone
26th-May-2003, 01:58 PM
I have seen half loop being taught as part of the intermediate lesson on a normal ceroc night on two separate occasions.

The first time I saw it taught I was surprised, and wondered whether the franchisee knew what was being taught at her venue.

The second time the franchisee taught the move herself.

The lessons seemed to be fairly successful, no major injuries, and not many people dropped out of the lesson.

TheTramp
26th-May-2003, 04:52 PM
It's not during the teaching time that the problems occur (in most cases).

Where the problems occur with teaching moves like that, is that then people go away thinking that it's okie to (a) do moves like that on the social dancefloor, and (b) do moves like that with anyone that was in (or wasn't in) the class.

Both of which are totally incorrect. But, having been taught them at a normal class, someone might be justified in saying something like, 'Well, it was taught in the class earlier'.

Which of course doesn't help the person who has just been kicked in the face by the ladies flailing foot, or has had her back put out by the guy who didn't realise that she wasn't in the class, and did the move on her anyhow....

Steve

Jayne
26th-May-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by jiveclone
The lessons seemed to be fairly successful, no major injuries,

:what:

So the definition of a successful lesson is only a few minor injuries then?

Sorry, not having a go at you jiveclone but I wouldn't have thought it was the kind of move you'd teach in a standard intermediate class...

J :nice:

Deb
27th-May-2003, 01:16 AM
We would call that move "The Hanger" in OZ and we would only teach it in an aerials class as a warm up for learning other more difficult aerials.

D

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
27th-May-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
it would make sense from a marketing point of view to show dancers at their most dynamic...to show how good you can get with practice.:devil:

I like it too DD. But hasn't ceroc's ethos always been NOT to show 'the best' but to make it look (at the front line) easy to learn and within the average person's grasp?

tubby
27th-May-2003, 12:19 PM
.. yeh and could be painful if the bloke isn't strong enough ..hee...hee ...

One bloke did do some sort of drop move with me (yeh, yeh! I know I should have the names at the ready but I don't!!) and he wasn't balanced properly and gave no clear indication of what he was about to do - my head just missed the floor! Some quick thinking on my part helped! It was not very dignified looking either!

So does any bloke wanna try these moves on Wednesday? Franck?? Brady?

Dreadful Scathe
27th-May-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by tubby

Will I do ? :D

Franck
27th-May-2003, 01:18 PM
So does any bloke wanna try these moves on Wednesday? Franck?? Brady? No thanks Tubby :nice: , I really 'dislike' all aerial moves, I dislike dancing them, having them inflicted on me at venues etc... :sorry
I would however be delighted to do all other moves :wink:

I do like watching top class dancers demonstrating them, but only in the sense that I enjoyed going to the Chinese circus and was amazed at the strength, balance and flexibility of the artists...

I will teach the odd jump / lift move, sometimes, usually because it is requested, and they can sometimes be fun to do, but I would be happier if aerial moves did not exist at all! :nice:

In light of the above, I don't like to think of the Ceroc logo too literally, I like the design and the star concept, but try not to analyse it any further...

In response to Siobhan, Ceroc like to show the best, the best dancers, the best moves, and the best attitude, that can be achieved without being a trained acrobat or body-builder... :D

Franck.

DavidB
27th-May-2003, 01:26 PM
I've just started reading 'The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown. (It is a pretty good thriller, but the author seems to have done a lot of research on ancient symbology.) The first thing that struck me is that the logo is a pentagram - the original pagan symbol.

I haven't finished the book yet, so can only guess what this might mean - an attempt by Ceroc to take over the world perhaps? What exactly do Ceroc teachers do on these mysterious 'Teacher Training' weekends? Is the CTA just a dance organisation, or some mysterious Secret Society? Are there certain signals that identify you as a member - like the Freemason's handshake?

Originally posted by Franck
but try not to analyse it any further...Franck is already trying to stop people talking about it...

David

Aleks
27th-May-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I've just started reading 'The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown. (It is a pretty good thriller, but the author seems to have done a lot of research on ancient symbology.) The first thing that struck me is that the logo is a pentagram - the original pagan symbol.

Off topic (again), did you know that the McDonalds "M" is an ancient symbol that inspires fear? How many people (OK, mostly women!) reach for food as a comfort? Did McDonalds research this when choosing the shape of their M? YES

Franck
27th-May-2003, 01:32 PM
The first thing that struck me is that the logo is a pentagram - the original pagan symbol.

I haven't finished the book yet, so can only guess what this might mean - an attempt by Ceroc to take over the world perhaps? What exactly do Ceroc teachers do on these mysterious 'Teacher Training' weekends? Is the CTA just a dance organisation, or some mysterious Secret Society? Are there certain signals that identify you as a member - like the Freemason's handshake?

Franck is already trying to stop people talking about it...Ah yes... You have noticed...
I was about to delete your post, but thought it would only add to the conspiracy theorists' ammunition...

As for the content of the Teacher Training Week-ends, the secret is closely guarded, but suffice to say that we all have to go through several levels of initiations.
After much suffering and tears, you can then come out reborn as an Official Ceroc Teacher Association Member, and proudly wear the tattoo...

As for the aims of Ceroc...? Well, we are all looking for the Holy Grail... the perfect move... (I thought I was close with the Comb :wink: ) danced by everyone in harmony across the world...

Franck.

tubby
27th-May-2003, 01:38 PM
Do you go to the Glasgow class? If so who are you???

tubby
27th-May-2003, 01:41 PM
Who is DScathe? Do you go to Glasgow classes?

Chicklet
27th-May-2003, 01:48 PM
we all have to go through several levels of initiations.
Franck.

"initiations" being some trendy French alcopoops??????????

Chicklet
27th-May-2003, 01:57 PM
.. yeh and could be painful if the bloke isn't strong enough ..

One bloke did do some sort of drop move with me (yeh, yeh! I know I should have the names at the ready but I don't!!) and he wasn't balanced properly and gave no clear indication of what he was about to do - my head just missed the floor! Some quick thinking on my part helped! It was not very dignified looking either!

Not sure if it was quite this move cos it was all over too quickly every time but my first experiences of such a thing have been fantastic!!
I had no idea my feet were going up there til I saw them but one there was suitable space, and two he was PLENTY strong enough to hold me in any pretty much any position :innocent:

guess I was just really really lucky.:D

Chicklet
27th-May-2003, 02:06 PM
Who is DScathe? Do you go to Glasgow classes?

He's only 3 apples high :eek:

If you are significantly taller it might be safer to await another offer.

Just letting you know to save an embarrassing silence tomorrow night.:wink: :D

Cx

CJ
27th-May-2003, 02:34 PM
I always thought it was a cool logo, but just needed some blood from the sacrificial goat trickling down the dancers lower arms... would have added some much needed colour.:wink:

tubby
27th-May-2003, 03:22 PM
Trust CJ to lower the tone of the conversation!!! Ah well back to work ...

CJ
27th-May-2003, 03:29 PM
Trust CJ to lower the tone of the conversation!!! Ah well back to work ...

Tubby, that hurts!!!!:tears:

In my defence, it was DavidB that broached the subject: not I.

Lou
27th-May-2003, 03:36 PM
I happen to be wearing a pentagram pendant today. I hope that no one misinterprets it and assumes I dance Ceroc! :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
27th-May-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
He's only 3 apples high :eek:

If you are significantly taller it might be safer to await another offer.

:D Thems big apples though. And yes, I should be there tomorrow night :) (but Im not at the Glasgow venue that often even though I now work in Glasgow)

Dance Demon
27th-May-2003, 04:36 PM
[B Are there certain signals that identify you as a member - like the Freemason's handshake?
David [/B]

David, I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you........ :wink:
Isn't that what all that "blidfold Ceroc" was all about..........:rolleyes:

Dance Demon
27th-May-2003, 04:47 PM
Ah yes... You have noticed...
I was about to delete your post, but thought it would only add to the conspiracy theorists' ammunition...

Aahhhhh........a conspiracy theory............must be a Celtic supporter then:wink: :rofl:

TheTramp
27th-May-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Aahhhhh........a conspiracy theory............must be a Celtic supporter then:wink: :rofl: Yeah. I hear that they've got Mel Gibson lined up to play Chris Sutton in the new blockbuster.

And Julia Roberts will be playing John Hartson..... :rolleyes:

Steve

Franck
27th-May-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Lou
I happen to be wearing a pentagram pendant today. I hope that no one misinterprets it and assumes I dance Ceroc! :wink: Resistance is futile Lou... You were assimilated in the Ceroc collective a long time ago :devil: :D

Don't worry, we won't tell anyone on the Bristol Forum!!!

The pentagram is just one more sign that you have crossed to the dark side!

Franck.

Lou
27th-May-2003, 04:54 PM
I've just started reading 'The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown. Weird. This is the second time I'm posting about a book I read years ago - but if you're interested in Da Vinci, Priorie De Sion, Knights Templer, Merovingian bloodline, etc., try The Holy Blood & The Holy Grail, which is a great introduction to this particular conspiracy. Keep an open mind whist reading it, though, as the authors have a nasty habit of presenting suppositions as "fact".

Lou
27th-May-2003, 05:03 PM
Resistance is futile Lou... You were assimilated in the Ceroc collective a long time ago :devil: :D I'm not a number! I am a free man! http://pukkauser.hyperchat.com/louise/thescream.gif

Franck
27th-May-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Lou
I'm not a number! I am a free man! http://pukkauser.hyperchat.com/louise/thescream.gif <------ *looks at Lou's avatar*... not a number heh?

5678... you are free to do as you please, and can leave any time you wish, as long as you stay... and dance Ceroc :devil: :D :devil:

Franck.

Fran
27th-May-2003, 07:40 PM
well this thread has progressed quickly today!!

Just to add that I have often looked at the logo and thought the star design was quite effective, although I was always concious of the fact that the move itself was not particulary graceful and would not be taught in a ceroc class. Lets hope she has her big ceroc pants on!!!:wink: :what:

fran:nice:

Brady
28th-May-2003, 09:27 AM

I think I'll have to also give this a miss. As I'm sure you've noticed, I don't tend to do many drops or aerials during freestyle. I have done this move (half loop) before, but only after being shown how to do it correctly. If I've practiced/learned one of these moves with somebody then I may use it on the odd occassion, but won't attempt any of them with people who haven't learned it correctly. This whole aerials discussion has been carried out before on the forum, as The Tramp and I were discussing last Friday while sitting out of an Intermediate Ceroc class where an unnamed teacher was teaching the Drunken Sailor to a very inexperienced class. :reallymad

While doing a few lifts/aerials at Nicky Haslam's workshop in London over the weekend, it became even more obvious how important it is for both the man and the woman (yes women, you too!!!) to understand the move fully and how to handle each others weight such that the move is easier on both of you.

If you are still going to try this move (or any other drops/aerials for that matter), please ask somebody that has learned the move properly to explain it (preferably a teacher if they're willing). If I've learned the move, I'll explain it to you to help you avoid injury, if you're destined to try it.

Brady

Curtain
28th-May-2003, 10:12 PM
I think the Ceroc logo's no bad at all actually. However, I do have a problem with the fact that the template the logo is on (including the lettering) overlaps the forum page. I think Franck should fix this ASAP, as it is doing my head in (lol). Also the shade of orange you use is slightly off kilter with the forum shade. Oh, and the lettering seems a little boring too. Although I'm sure you are using the official Ceroc typefaces Franck, could you not add a little colour? Something like this would be cool ...

DavidY
28th-May-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Curtain
However, I do have a problem with the fact that the template the logo is on (including the lettering) overlaps the forum page. I think Franck should fix this ASAP, as it is doing my head in (lol). Also the shade of orange you use is slightly off kilter with the forum shade. I've noticed this as well. But only on some PCs - I notice the forum cleverly tries to resize itself depending on the screen resolution, and the overlapping logo effect shows up on my home PC but not on my PC at work which has a different screen resolution. I also get the "2 shades of orange" on my home PC but not on my work PC so I guess they probably have different colour settings too.

David