PDA

View Full Version : When should I use the Report Post button?

DavidY
17th-November-2006, 07:34 PM
And one last plea, if your unhappy about anything, USE YOUR REPORT POST BUTTON, and we'll endeavour to help!
:yeah:

That's what the button is there for :)Actually, it would help to have some more clarity on exactly what the button is there for?

I've a feeling this may have been mentioned somewhere else in the context of one or other of the debates, but I've no idea where.

I started my thread about Taxi Dancers and Employment in one place last night and by this morning regretted it and wanted to ask for it to be moved.

As it happens, Lory saw my "moderators please delete" post and deleted it, but I considered using the Report Post button to report my own post to get a moderator.

But when you push the Report Post button it has a list of reasons why you can report a post
This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts. - and "I'm reporting my own post because I put it in the wrong place.:blush:" isn't really covered. Plus the "ONLY" is in capitals.:what:

Should I have used it?

Ghost
17th-November-2006, 09:44 PM
Should I have used it?
Personally I'd have just pmed Franck et al and explained why you wanted it moved.

Zebra Woman
17th-November-2006, 10:00 PM
I think it's like and open letter to all moderators. I have reported my own posts and quite a few others over the years.

IMO the moderators can't be everywhere at once so if I see something slightly suspect like really abusive remarks/personal details/unacceptable photo I will point it out straight away as the sooner something is removed the less damage is done.

When I have reported things I have done it more in a kind of 'What do you think of this?' kind of way more often than a 'I think this should be removed' way.

Dreadful Scathe
18th-November-2006, 12:27 AM
I think it's like and open letter to all moderators. I have reported my own posts and quite a few others over the years.

IMO the moderators can't be everywhere at once so if I see something slightly suspect like really abusive remarks/personal details/unacceptable photo I will point it out straight away as the sooner something is removed the less damage is done.

When I have reported things I have done it more in a kind of 'What do you think of this?' kind of way more often than a 'I think this should be removed' way.
Im reporting all of you :)

Lory
18th-November-2006, 01:07 AM
Feel free to use it for... well, anything really...;)

If you want us to keep an eye on a situation.

If you want a post moved.

If you think a thread has gone off topic and a new thread needs to be started.

To report Spam and advertising

If you feel someone's said something out of order and needs a warning

If you've been personally attacked or offended in a post... and you feel something should be done about it

If you've posted something and realised too late to edit it yourself, that it was wrong and needs editing (by the way, I'm not talking about spelling mistakes here :rolleyes: )

You can still PM me or any of the others privately, if something is of a sensitive/private nature and you want a slightly more personal touch ;)

Lorraine x

David Bailey
18th-November-2006, 12:17 PM
:yeah: to everything Lory said.

A "report" is just a convenient way of sending a notification - it doesn't "do" anything by itself. Think of it as a PM sent to all moderators.

It's a handy way to help moderate the forum, and help keep track of posts or threads which may need moderation. Don't be afraid to use it.

El Salsero Gringo
19th-November-2006, 08:37 AM
It's a handy way to help moderate the forum, and help keep track of posts or threads which may need moderation. Don't be afraid to use it.Can we report posts by moderators? :flower:

David Bailey
19th-November-2006, 09:41 AM
Can we report posts by moderators? :flower:
I assume so - go on, knock yourself out :grin:

We'll be adding all this information (at some point) to some kind of "Moderator FAQ", or something, which should hopefully clarify how all this stuff happens etc. Which if nothing else will help me understand it :blush:

TheTramp
19th-November-2006, 12:08 PM
I used to use it when someone said something really stupid or annoying, and rather than respond, which might have got me into trouble (please, no puns there!), I'd "report" the post with my reply. Asking Franck/Sheena if I could please post that.

Usually the answer was no! :na:

Guess I shouldn't do that now :tears: It was a great way of letting off steam! :na:

Lory
19th-November-2006, 12:51 PM
Guess I shouldn't do that now :tears: It was a great way of letting off steam! :na:

Carry on, I used to have a good laugh at those..... :D

TheTramp
19th-November-2006, 12:57 PM
Carry on, I used to have a good laugh at those..... :D

Pleased to be of service. But with more moderators, there's more chance that my inappropriate reactions will slip out somewhere. And then I'd be in trouble (again, no puns please!) :whistle:

David Bailey
19th-November-2006, 07:40 PM
Pleased to be of service. But with more moderators, there's more chance that my inappropriate reactions will slip out somewhere. And then I'd be in trouble (again, no puns please!) :whistle:
Don't worry, we're chosen for our discretion and wisdom.

Ahem... I'm just going to go for a quick browse, Lory - hold the fort, OK?

TheTramp
20th-November-2006, 03:50 AM
Actually, is the real answer to this, "Whenever DavidJames writes a post"?

Wouldn't the obvious answer be to make everyone moderators. Then there would never be a need for the Report Post button, since we could all delete the offending post...

El Salsero Gringo
20th-November-2006, 11:19 AM
If I've understood this, the Moderators moderate all posters that don't moderate themselves. So who moderates the Moderators?