PDA

View Full Version : Transparent moderator, at your service!

Lory
17th-November-2006, 03:49 PM
Not a "rule of conduct", as such, but while we're thrashing out moderation policy...

I would prefer the moderation to be much more transparent.

I'd like to lay 'my' cards on the table, as transparency seems to be the order of the day.:)

I'm sure that some of you have wondered about some of the following :confused: well here you go:flower: ......

I, do not get paid or receive 'any' financial rewards for being a moderator.

I, do not and have never worked for Ceroc, or any other dance organisation

I have been asked to teach in the past but I turned down the opportunity, on the grounds it I felt it would ruin my social life, as dancing for me, is purely a much loved hobby!

I frequent Ceroc and non Ceroc MJ venues alike (apart from MJ, I also do WCS, Ballroom, Argentine Tango and Jango)

I have never felt obligated or pressured to do/attend or not do/attend anything and I very much value the lack of restraint.

I have never been asked to edit or delete any posts for the reasons of being anti-Ceroc

In my roll as moderator, I strive to show no bias, for or against any individual or organisation and I respect other people's points of view

I do however still hold my own personal views and am free to voice them and have never been asked to 'dumb down' saying what I think. And I stress, the views I put across are solely 'my' opinions and in no way, do I speak on behalf of any of the other team members.

IT is my opinion that some of the moderating should be more transparent too, but obviously, in some cases, where sensitive personal issues come to light, then discretion must be upheld. (On this note, one problem I have found, is it's difficult to know 'where' to add a comment, if i've had to delete a post in the middle of a thread, the post would appear at the end, like everyone else's and the system renumbers the posts)

90% of the moderating I do, is at the requests of 'other's', minor things like, removing duplicate posts and adding things to poll's etc.,

Splitting threads which are off topic, is something I'm aiming to do more of and will endeavour to post a note and redirective in the future.

I choose where I go and which weekenders I go on, based purely on what event meets more of my personal requirements for my own enjoyment, and I pay, just the same as all of you.

Nobody's perfect and I truly hope I'm seen as fair, understanding, approachable and helpful? If not, I'd rather leave the job to someone 'more suited'?:o

Just as a note, I do think people should stand back and have a good look at this Forum and what it offers us and think about the fact, its run on a voluntary basis and its free (unless of course, you want to contribute voluntarily) before they start moaning so bitterly about how its run.

Yes, as Franck has said numerous times, we don't want advertising all over the place but the main issue here is, we want to keep it as a discussion based forum and not merely a platform for people to advertise their events! From time to time, we get people who try to abuse it in this way, they join and then contribute nothing to the discussions.
This is not what this forum is about, there are websites out there, set up purely for that purpose.

And lastly, No one has ever stopped the 'Who's going where threads!'

And one last plea, if your unhappy about anything, USE YOUR REPORT POST BUTTON, and we'll endeavour to help!

There, i've said my piece, flame away!:sick:

robd
17th-November-2006, 03:51 PM
I can see right through you Lory :grin:

Ghost
17th-November-2006, 04:02 PM
:respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect:
Dance in beauty,
Christopher

Beowulf
17th-November-2006, 04:12 PM
There, I've said my piece, FLAME ON!!!:wink:

http://www.skyfall.co.uk/firestar.jpg

I think you do a Super job as do all the mods. :wink: :rolleyes:

As someone who's ran their fair share of forums in the past I know what a thankless task it is.

:worthy: :clap: :respect:

Gav
17th-November-2006, 04:16 PM

Right, where to start! :angry:

I'm sure that we're all very grateful for the job that you, Franck and others? do here. I certainly am. :cheers:

It's just that sometimes discussions about what should and shouldn't be done get carried away and we forget to tell you how much we appreciate you.

:hug: :flower: :kiss: :hug: :flower: :kiss: :hug: :flower: :kiss:

David Bailey
17th-November-2006, 04:22 PM
I'd like to lay 'my' cards on the table, as transparency seems to be the order of the day.:)
On the same theme, here's my information:

I also do not get paid or receive 'any' financial rewards for being a moderator, but hey, it's early days yet :).

Business-wise, I used to taxi for Ceroc at Ashtons, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and I occasionally get dragged kicking and screaming onto the stage at Finchley to demo, and I help out at the odd (!) salsa / tango class for cerocmetro too. Alas, that too is unpaid. :tears:

So my "business links" to Ceroc are pretty tenuous. Certainly I'm not important enough for my opinion to matter.

Most of moderation, I think, is boring admin-y things - as Lory says. There is occasional demand for a difficult call, I expect, but generally I plan to leave that to Franck.

I also would like a bit more transparency of moderation, but I don't want to get into endless discussions of what/why/when moderation occurred - the umpire's decision is, hopefully, final. So if people can accept those decisions, it'd be more likely that more transparency would occur.

I choose where I go and which weekenders I go on, based purely on what event meets more of my personal requirements for my own enjoyment, and I pay, just the same as all of you.
:yeah: - although in my case I tend to choose non-forumite venues because I'm just anti-social that way :rofl:

[I]Nobody's perfect and I truly hope I'm seen as fair, understanding, approachable and helpful?
Personally, I hope I'm seen as a curmudgeonly old git... :devil:

And lastly, No one has ever stopped the 'Who's going where threads!'
If only... :rolleyes:

And one last plea, if your unhappy about anything, USE YOUR REPORT POST BUTTON, and we'll endeavour to help!
:yeah:

That's what the button is there for :)

ducasi
17th-November-2006, 04:27 PM
I'd like to lay 'my' cards on the table, as transparency seems to be the order of the day.:) Thank you Lory – I think all the moderators do a very good job. :worthy:

Transparency of the moderators isn't what I'm looking for (though it's good), but transparency of the moderating process.

(On this note, one problem I have found, is it's difficult to know 'where' to add a comment, if i've had to delete a post in the middle of a thread, the post would appear at the end, like everyone else's and the system renumbers the posts) Instead of deleting the post, replace it with the text "This post has been deleted by {moderator}, due to {inappropriate language/advertising/abuse/a request by the poster/whatever}."?

Lory
17th-November-2006, 04:40 PM
Instead of deleting the post, replace it with the text "This post has been deleted by {moderator}, due to {inappropriate language/advertising/abuse/a request by the poster/whatever}."?

That would mean 'hard deleting' and we don't do that, in case, a case ever arose, where the poster denied what they'd written, we still have the evidence intact, also, in some cases, I might soft delete, until further discussions have been had and the post can always be resurrected again :nice:

Cruella
17th-November-2006, 04:42 PM
It would be nice to know who the moderators are. So perhaps this could be the thread for them to 'come out' so to speak. :D

David Bailey
17th-November-2006, 04:46 PM
It would be nice to know who the moderators are. So perhaps this could be the thread for them to 'come out' so to speak. :D
That's one of the points of this thread, yes, "Meet the Moderators" :)

But just to clarify, so far it's:

Franck
Tiggerbabe
Lory
Emma*
Me
Franck is apparently recruiting for more help, feel free to send him your CV :rofl:

* EDIT: oops, sorry Emma :flower: :blush:

Lory
17th-November-2006, 04:51 PM
At the moment, we have
Franck
Tiggerbabe
Me :yum:
Emma (although she seems to be in semi retirement!:whistle: come back, I know the forumites can be a horrid lot sometimes but we've got DJ to defend us now!:wink: and I need you! :hug: )

And our VERY newly appointed DavidJames, (who got his toys yesterday and edited something 10mins later.:really: I daren't touch anything for a week, when i got mine! :blush: )Welcome on board DJ :cheers:

And we are in the process of recruiting more! Watch this space! :na:

Cruella
17th-November-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure i like the thought of DJ being able to control what i say. :rolleyes: Does that mean whenever i take the p1ss out of him now, he can delete it? :tears:

Trouble
17th-November-2006, 05:34 PM
:

And we are in the process of recruiting more! Watch this space! :na:

i take it my offer letter is in the post :whistle:

Lory
17th-November-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure i like the thought of DJ being able to control what i say. :rolleyes: Does that mean whenever i take the p1ss out of him now, he can delete it? :tears:

Yes but I can resurrect it again :wink: :D (and slap him while i'm at it)

David Bailey
17th-November-2006, 05:35 PM
I was so tempted to hit the "Edit Post" button... :devil:

Simple answer, just treat me with the reverence and respect that is my natural due :na:

El Salsero Gringo
17th-November-2006, 05:37 PM
I was so tempted to hit the "Edit Post" button... :devil:

Simple answer, just treat me with the lack of reverence and respect that is my natural due :na:We do that already.

David Bailey
17th-November-2006, 05:40 PM
Yes but I can resurrect it again :wink: :D (and slap him while i'm at it)
I'm still amazed that Donna turned down the opportunity (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10250&page=2)... :innocent:

El Salsero Gringo
17th-November-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm still amazed that Donna turned down the opportunity (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10250&page=2)... :innocent:I'm not. She's not quite as stupid as she looks, you know.

ducasi
17th-November-2006, 05:45 PM
That would mean 'hard deleting' and we don't do that, in case, a case ever arose, where the poster denied what they'd written, we still have the evidence intact, also, in some cases, I might soft delete, until further discussions have been had and the post can always be resurrected again :nice:
How about copying it somewhere else? :)

Cruella
17th-November-2006, 05:52 PM
Simple answer, just treat me with the reverence and respect that is my natural due :na:

Oh, ok then, how about :na: :na: :na:

TheTramp
19th-November-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm not. She's not quite as stupid as she looks, you know.

That one is just too obvious for even me to respond to. Can you please try to not make such obvious set-ups in future! :na:

Lory
19th-November-2006, 12:58 PM
How about copying it somewhere else? :)
Not really, as it would take it out of context and as I said, the system re-numbers the thread automatically, therefore it would mean copying the whole thread and tons extra work and 'I' wouldn't really want to take that on:blush:

Keep the suggestions coming though :flower:

ducasi
21st-November-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm now a moderator! :)

As Lory and DavidJames have given a disclaimer, I might as well include one too...

I, do not get paid or receive 'any' financial rewards for being a moderator.

I, do not and have never worked for Ceroc, or any other dance organisation. :yeah:

Cruella
21st-November-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm a moderator too. :D

Only joking. :D I just wanted you all to think that Franck had lost his marbles.:wink:

El Salsero Gringo
21st-November-2006, 06:25 PM
Only joking. :D I just wanted you all to think that Franck had lost his marbles.:wink:It worked.

Kev F
21st-November-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm a moderator too. :D

Only joking. :D I just wanted you all to think that Franck had lost his marbles.:wink:

I'm a moderator, at your service too!

Maybe he has, but I'll try my best. :wink:

DavidY
22nd-November-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm confused - if you go to the front page of the forum and use the "View Forum Leaders (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showgroups.php)" link, one of the groups shown is: "Moderators".

But the only listed is DavidJames.. :confused:

Tessalicious
22nd-November-2006, 12:48 AM
... but if you look further down, the Super Moderators are listed (ducasi, emma, Kev F and Lory). Guess that'll take DJ down a peg or two...

Speaking of DJs, any reason why there isn't a group for DJs on that list? I'm sure that would be more useful than knowing the names of all the Registered users.

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-November-2006, 12:57 AM
Come on DavidJames, are you *really* going to settle for second rank status? And is it really true that only "Super Moderators" get to read everyone's PMs?

TheTramp
22nd-November-2006, 01:25 AM
... but if you look further down, the Super Moderators are listed (ducasi, emma, Kev F and Lory). Guess that'll take DJ down a peg or two...

Speaking of DJs, any reason why there isn't a group for DJs on that list? I'm sure that would be more useful than knowing the names of all the Registered users.

:yeah:

And non-ceroc teachers :whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-November-2006, 08:42 AM
Come on DavidJames, are you *really* going to settle for second rank status? And is it really true that only "Super Moderators" get to read everyone's PMs?
his probation period must be up , hes on there now :)

good choice of moderators actually - not that many sensible people on here after all ;)

David Bailey
22nd-November-2006, 09:14 AM
his probation period must be up , hes on there now :)
I got my second kill yesterday.

Actually, I didn't even know that list existed :what: - huh, you learn something new every day.

Come on DavidJames, are you *really* going to settle for second rank status?
Story of my life.

And is it really true that only "Super Moderators" get to read everyone's PMs?
:rolleyes: OK, being serious for a second, because this is how rumours get started - no.

No-one can read PMs or rep messages.

ducasi
22nd-November-2006, 09:35 AM
No-one can read PMs or rep messages. I believe admins (i.e., Franck and Sheena) can read rep messages. I don't think they do as a matter of course.

Cruella
22nd-November-2006, 09:38 AM
No-one can read PMs or rep messages.

I believe admins (i.e., Franck and Sheena) can read rep messages.
Oh dear, it seems that one of you needs to go back and do your homework. :whistle:

David Bailey
22nd-November-2006, 09:43 AM
Oh dear, it seems that one of you needs to go back and do your homework. :whistle:
OK, OK, OK - Rep messages can be read by Super Super Moderators, if required, but PMs can't be read by anyone.

(Although why anyone would want to read the banality of rep messages is beyond me, mine always say "Well done" or something equally scintillating)

Blimey... I think I should get my byline changed to Miserable Moderator... :rolleyes:

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-November-2006, 09:48 AM
Blimey... I think I should get my byline changed to Miserable Moderator... :rolleyes:Physician heal thyself!

TheTramp
22nd-November-2006, 11:10 AM
OK, OK, OK - Rep messages can be read by Super Super Moderators, if required, but PMs can't be read by anyone.

What? Not even the people that they are sent to? That's going to be inconvenient..... :rolleyes: