PDA

View Full Version : Advice please thanks :)

Husky_Cat
11th-November-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi, I am new to this, and I need advice, I am considering going to a ceroc class as i love dance well , i dont dance myself but love watching it, and dream of it.

The reasons i dont go to dance classes as i am terrifed that I will get told that i cant do it or people wont accept me as a dancer.

You see, I am profoundly deaf, (fully deaf) so i cant hear the music but i feel i can dance good as my hearing peers as i do have rhythm unusually for a deaf person, i think it because i am from a totally hearing family and grew up with hearing people, and i inherited their love for music , (weird i know) , i am now with deaf people but i would love to do a dance class but would my deafness stop me? and also i am very shy and have low confidence and have no one to go with me to a dance class.

Thank you so much for your advice!!!

xxx

philsmove
11th-November-2006, 10:18 PM
.....as i am terrifed that I will get told that i cant

One thing I can promise you at -any class you will find a bunch of a great friends who don’t believe in the word - can’t

Lynn
11th-November-2006, 10:21 PM
You see, I am profoundly deaf, (fully deaf) so i cant hear the music but i feel i can dance good as my hearing peers as i do have rhythm unusually for a deaf person, i think it because i am from a totally hearing family and grew up with hearing people, and i inherited their love for music , (weird i know) , i am now with deaf people but i would love to do a dance class but would my deafness stop me? I suppose it depends on whether you can 'hear' the music in some other way - you say you love music, so how do you experience this?

I know someone who has very limited hearing (and wears ear plugs when dancing to protect his ears from damage) and I know he hears the music in a different way from me. He's fab to dance with.:D

In terms of the class, you might have a few problems with what the teacher is saying if you are lip reading as they will not always be facing the class when they talk through moves - but don't worry about that too much as a lot of it is visual so you can watch and copy. There are also revision classes which have smaller numbers and taxi dancers that you can ask to clarify any points.

Hope that helps.:flower:

Husky_Cat
11th-November-2006, 10:26 PM
:flower:
In Response to Lynn's post, I cant hear the music in any way , i feel it through vibrations like bass beat, etc . but i am currently waiting for my hearing aid to come so that might make it better.

I cant lipread but i can pick things up fast if it is mostly visual and if i have problem, i could always ask someone to explain things to me.

So you think it is actually possible for me to dance??

xxx

Ghost
11th-November-2006, 10:36 PM
So you think it is actually possible for me to dance??

xxx
Yup

It's been a while, but I've danced a couple of times with a deaf guy at Twyford, can't remember his name. Nice to dance with,

I've danced deaf, blind and crippled, though thankfully not all at once.

You can pick up the beat through the other person's footwork rythym, where they punctuate their styling, or the ever-loved bouncy hand.

Are you male or female (ie do you want to lead or follow)?

Be Well,
Christopher

Lynn
11th-November-2006, 10:39 PM
In Response to Lynn's post, I cant hear the music in any way , i feel it through vibrations like bass beat, etc . but i am currently waiting for my hearing aid to come so that might make it better. I wondered about vibrations, I think that's part of the way the person I referred to in the last post 'feels' the music.

I cant lipread but i can pick things up fast if it is mostly visual and if i have problem, i could always ask someone to explain things to me. If you don't lipread would you need someone to sign if you need to ask questions? (My friend does but he's in Belfast, but I'm sure there are other dancers who do.) And yes, its very visual and clearly demonstrated from the stage.

So you think it is actually possible for me to dance?? Of course. :flower: Dance is moving to music. Dancing by yourself you can have the music in your head, you don't need to be 'hearing' it. For partner dancing you both need to be moving to the same beat, but the beat tends to be in the bass end of the scale (I think, more musically knowledgable people could help out here?) so if you can follow that then you can partner dance.

And if you do find it frustrating at times, Phil's right, there are a lot of friendly people on the dance scene who can be very encouraging.

Husky_Cat
11th-November-2006, 10:44 PM
To Ghost,

I am a female, so i prefer to follow actually.

To Lynn,

Oh that is fab to hear, so i need to get my confidence up to go to one of the classes in Dundee and see how it goes.

Thanks so much for helping out on this.

xxx

Lory
11th-November-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum :flower: ..

Well, I honestly don't know the answer but I can be sure of a couple of things, firstly that you'll be warmly welcomed at any class and secondly you'll never know unless you give it a try ;)

There is one factor that will play an important part though and that's if your male or female?

As its predominantly a male lead dance, it's more important that the lead can hear/feel the beat. (I've heard that some deaf people can 'feel' the beat of music through vibrations but i'm not sure if the vibrations would be strong enough, in a hall full of people?)

If your a lady, then you have a real advantage, as all you have to do is follow. :)

Anyway, some people who have perfect hearing, can't hear the beat at all but still have a great time!:clap:

EDIT sorry, i was watching telly and typing extremely slowly, so excuse me repeating whats already been said :blush:

Lynn
11th-November-2006, 10:52 PM
Probably easier for you if you are a follower - you can take your lead for the timing of the music (if its a track where you can't hear the beat so clearly) from the leader. I've danced follow with no music - the leader having a song 'in his head' and me following the moves and timing from that.

And remember you can also ask questions on here as well as at the classes. :flower:

Alice
12th-November-2006, 12:14 AM
Probably easier for you if you are a follower - you can take your lead for the timing of the music (if its a track where you can't hear the beat so clearly) from the leader. I've danced follow with no music - the leader having a song 'in his head' and me following the moves and timing from that.

And remember you can also ask questions on here as well as at the classes. :flower:
:yeah: to all the above posts (I won't repeat them!)- you're lucky that you're a follower, that should make things a lot easier:wink:

Also don't forget that there's a consolidation class after the normal beginner class where you can ask any questions- and the class is a lot smaller so more individual attention.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!!

You've done it now, there's no going back:devil: :devil:

Green-eyed Monsta
12th-November-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi, I am new to this, and I need advice, I am considering going to a ceroc class as i love dance well , i dont dance myself but love watching it, and dream of it.

The reasons i dont go to dance classes as i am terrifed that I will get told that i cant do it or people wont accept me as a dancer.

:flower: Hi Husky Cat! Do go to the classes and give it a go! I'm sure you'll have a great time and meet lots and lots of new friends. I used to do a lot of Latin-American and there was a man in a wheelchair who I danced with often. He had no trouble getting dances.
You can definitely do this! I look forward to seeing you post back here after you've been and tell us all what a fabulous time you had. :hug:

foxylady
12th-November-2006, 01:52 AM
Absolutely... If you are keen and want to give it a go you should...

There is a girl at ISH (international students house, london) who comes every week who is quite deaf. her speech is hard to understand (but with practice and concentration not improssible), and she is a fab dancer. i assume she hears the bass beat, but i don't actually know. All i know is that she dances all night and has a fab time !!!

TurboTomato
12th-November-2006, 02:05 AM
Well, I honestly don't know the answer but I can be sure of a couple of things, firstly that you'll be warmly welcomed at any class and secondly you'll never know unless you give it a try ;)

:yeah:

If you put as much passion into it as you do describing it you will be just fine :) As a follower it should be a little easier for you as well. And as Lory says there are enough people who can't hear the beat but enjoy it anyway!

Hopefully someone a bit nearer you will offer to take you along to their local venue. Good luck :D

El Salsero Gringo
12th-November-2006, 02:25 AM
Evelyn Glennie has made a career as a professional percussionist - and a world-class one at that - despite being profoundly deaf. (In fact according to Wikipedia, she is was the first full-time solo professional percussionist in 20th century western society.) If she can drum in time with the music ...

Andy McGregor
12th-November-2006, 02:35 PM
Just to add my support. I have danced with a lady who is completely deaf. She said that she could feel the bass beat and asked if we could dance near the speakers so that she could feel the beat. She had no difficulty following and seemed to be having a fabulous time. It was really loud by the speakers but she could lip read and understand every word I said. However, it was so loud by the speakers I couln't hear a word she was saying - now I think about it, in that situation, I was the one who had the disability.

Husky_Cat
12th-November-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! It is great to know that i wont have any problem with the classes, I will certainly give it a try , and will post back on here to let you all know.

I did try to find information about paying fees to go a class, is there any fees that i should pay?

Thank you so much for assuring me and putting my mind at peace.

:hug:

Tiggerbabe
12th-November-2006, 05:13 PM
I did try to find information about paying fees to go a class, is there any fees that i should pay?

There is a voucher on the front page of the forum that you can print off and you will get your first night for £4. Normally the class costs £7 and you pay only for the classes you attend.

Unfortunately I will not be at the Invercarse Hotel on Monday (13th November) but I will be at the Ice Arena on Wednesday, if you decide to come along to that class.

All of the Dundee dancers are very helpful and friendly, so whichever night you go to, I promise you'll have a great time.

Look forward to meeting you soon,
Sheena :D

Husky_Cat
12th-November-2006, 05:22 PM
TiggerBabe,

I was considering going to the Dundee Ice Arena one on Wednesday as it is very accessible for me from my house.

after reading few posts on this forum, it is starting to sound (not literally) good to me as i am willing to give it a try and i know it will take me a big while to get confident about things.

I hope i get enough confidence to go on wednesday, if i do, you will spot me easily since i am deaf.

and you and I have similar names !! :nice:

My name is Shona

xxxx

Freudian Hips
12th-November-2006, 06:21 PM
I was considering going to the Dundee Ice Arena one on Wednesday as it is very accessible for me from my house.

I hope i get enough confidence to go on wednesday, if i do, you will spot me easily since i am deaf.

We are a good crowd up at the ice arena on a Wednesday so hope to see you there, Husky Cat. Please bear with me, my signing is dreadful :blush:

Alison (Al or Ali - any will do!)

Husky_Cat
12th-November-2006, 06:51 PM
Thank you Ali for that. I am starting to want to go and see what it is all about, i have seen some youtube videos to get ideas of what it is like and it look very good.

Another question.... What type of music is it? Fast or slow or mix of both?

Shona

xxx

:cheers:

Freya
12th-November-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi Shona,

I hope you do decide to come along! We have a guy up here in Aberdeen who's totally deaf just started. His wife can hear so they stand out of rotation during the class so that she can sign the teachers instructions! Then during the refresher class they join in the rotation because he can lip read the Taxi dancer!

I know he's finding it tricky and slow going especially as he can't come every week. But He is enjoying it imensly (sp?)!!!

Hope you have fun!

Freya xXx

Shodan
13th-November-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You should definately give dancing a go. I found it took me a while to build up my confidence, but after a while I found dancing to be hugely rewarding a a reat source of confidence in itself.

Just relax, take it easy and remember you're also there to have fun - so it doesn't matter if you get anything wrong. Fun is the name of the game. :nice:

whitetiger1518
13th-November-2006, 10:37 AM
Welcome Husky Cat,

I think that we can and do dance to just about anything at the classes. CJ, Tiggerbabe or other DJs will be able to clarify - or look in the DJ forum - lots of dance listings lurk in there.

Impending addiction - Enjoy it :grin:

Whitetiger

TheTramp
13th-November-2006, 04:02 PM
Hiya....

I'll just join the growing list of people who say to definitely go!

If you make it along to Dundee tonight, then I'm the DJ there, so also difficult to miss. Make sure that you come along and say hello.

I used to do a bit of signing, as I had a deaf person working for me once, but that was a long time ago, and I've forgotten it all I think.... :blush:

I do sometimes pop along on a Wednesday, so might meet you there if (when) you make it along :D

Husky_Cat
13th-November-2006, 05:04 PM
I dont think i will be going along tonight to Invercase hotel in dundee one, but will go along on wednesday to Ice Arena if i actually have enough confidence to do lol but i think i will go .

it be interesting to see how i do to slow music/fast music lol,

Thank you all for your kind words and support to me :D

Shona

xxx:hug:

Twirly
13th-November-2006, 05:11 PM
Just wanted to add my encouragement. And do let us know how you find it. Good luck!

TheTramp
13th-November-2006, 05:13 PM
Just wanted to add my encouragement. And do let us know how you find it. Good luck!

Oh. I think that she said that she already knows where it is.....

Beowulf
14th-November-2006, 04:19 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Freudian Hips
14th-November-2006, 06:55 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Boys :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey Husky
Hope to see you there tomorrow. I will be there but am usually late:blush: If all else fails, there's always a good stash of liquorice alsorts! :drool:
Ali

Lee Bartholomew
14th-November-2006, 06:58 PM
Liquorice and dancing. Hope there are not too many 'accidents'

jivebunny
14th-November-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi there and welcome:flower:

You should definatley give it a whirl, otherwise you could be missing out on something amazing (which it is!) the other week at Daventry i danced with a blind man who had only been dancing 6 weeks, he said he was nervous about going but said it was the best thing he had done. :respect:

i hope you have a great time, let us know how you get on.

Amyxx:hug:

Husky_Cat
14th-November-2006, 07:33 PM
Freudian Hips, i hope i got that name right lol, Hope see you there tomorrow night. ( Liquorice Allsorts are disgusting , dont like them so you can have them:wink: )

to JiveBunny, Thank you for your kind words :D

Shona

xxx
:hug:

Freudian Hips
14th-November-2006, 10:08 PM
Liquorice and dancing. Hope there are not too many 'accidents'

Only when I have to "negotiate" for the last of the good ones with Trampy :D

Liquorice Allsorts are disgusting , dont like them so you can have them:wink:

:cheers: :clap: :cheers: :clap: :flower:

Husky_Cat
14th-November-2006, 10:49 PM
Freudian Hips , No problems but if there is milk chocolate served, ooh watch out for me!!! :D :D :rofl:

Sheepman
14th-November-2006, 11:52 PM
I found it took me a while to build up my confidence, but after a while I found dancing to be hugely rewarding a a reat source of confidence in itself.
I completely agree with that, so here's a cautionary note, that applies to anyone taking up dancing, and especially those who's self confidence is not strong.

Don't expect that you will love every minute from the word go, (unless you are one of those lucky people that can do it right from the start. :angry: !) Just like anything unfamiliar it can be nerve racking, you can feel out of place, but even if it does feel like that, don't do what some people do, which is to go along once, and say it's not for them. After all, the second time is much easier than the first, and by the time you've been for several weeks, most of the faces will be familiar.
On starting one style of dance, I was advised "give it a year, before you really decide if it's for you or not." Luckily it didn't take that long, but with Ceroc I would say give it at least 6 weeks before making that decision, and that means 6 weeks where you are going regularly each week.

Also don't go home as soon as the freestyle dancing starts, if you're feeling in awe watching the other dancers, and wishing you could dance like that, just think to yourself that "in a few months I will dance like that.
It's a bit like hugs, the more you give the more you get out of it!

That said, I hope you love it from day 1, and that I can look forward to some dances when I'm in Dundee (and stealing your share of the liquorice allsorts! :wink: )

Greg

Husky_Cat
15th-November-2006, 12:36 AM
Sheepman aka Greg,

Thanks for your safe and sound advice, I knew that it would take few goes before i can know if i like it a lot or not. But knowing myself , i would like it.

Hopefully i will see you one day if i am still in the dance lol, and yes you can have my share of disgusting liqurioce Allsorts !! :D :D

Shona

xxx

pmjd
15th-November-2006, 01:19 AM
Hi Shona, or Husky Cat, depending on what you prefer,

I hope you go along tomorrow night and give it a try. Lorna is a fantastic teacher :respect:, and Sheena is a brillant DJ who plays a good mix of slow, fast and on a rare occasion really fast music (still remember last time I tried to dance to, and keep up with, reet petite which is 170 bpm:whistle:). The folk in the class are nice and friendly too.

I might be along tomorrow night, depending if I get my car back from the garage and if I can afford to come to ceroc after the garage bill:tears:. As Greg says give a good few weeks as it'll take a little bit of time to pick up and get used to, unless your one of the lucky people to whom it comes naturally:waycool:.

Hope you have fun,
Paul

TheTramp
15th-November-2006, 04:18 AM
So then.....

All the best for tonight. Might pop along for the dancing after the classes (freestyle) at 9:30. Look forward to meeting you (cos you'll follow Greg's advice, and stay there and dance!) if I do make it.

Lorna
15th-November-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi Shona,

I'm Lorna, and I teach the Wed night.

I would suggest that you introduce yourself to me when you arrive. We can arrange to have you placed near the front for most of the class if you think this will help. Normally the women rotate as we have a few extra but we actually had extra men on Wed and Fri in Brechin, :clap: :clap:. We can play it by ear.

We have a fab team on a Wed night and I'm sure you will have a great night.
Don't worry about how good a dancer you are. When I went along to my first ceroc class 7 years ago, I had never been to a dance class in my life, not even as a child. (I was rubbish needless to say).

Just relax, go with the flow tonight and I'll have you dancing by the end of the class. :flower:

Looking forward to meeting you,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

TheTramp
15th-November-2006, 02:03 PM
I was rubbish needless to say...

Yeah....

You've changed so much! :rolleyes:

whitetiger1518
15th-November-2006, 03:02 PM
Lots of good advice here - Please go - I'm sure you will be as addicted as the rest of us as soon as you step on the dance floor..

I sent you a Private message of one or two things to look forward to.

Cheers Whitetiger :cheers:

Husky_Cat
15th-November-2006, 03:59 PM
okay now to reply to all the ppl that have left messages,

Pjmd - i hope that is the right spelling of your name, thank you for the encouragment and hope that i wil enjoy tonight at the class!

Lorna - I will introduce myself and the idea of bein more near the front sounds good to me as it will help me greatly.

whitetiger - thanks, and i have replied to your private message, sorry it took so long!!!!

Shona xxx