PDA

View Full Version : WCS in New York?

Katie
5th-November-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to New York this coming Saturday for 6 days with a non-dancing friend. I would love to go to a WCS class whilst i'm there. Does anyone know of any classes or of a helpful website?

Thank you in advance.:flower:

Kate

Feelingpink
5th-November-2006, 08:09 PM
I thought Steve Neeren was in New York - a search on his name brings up this (http://www.dancesport.com/sched_class.shtml) ... containing classes he teaches. On his visits to London he's seemed very friendly & welcoming.

timbp
5th-November-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to New York this coming Saturday for 6 days with a non-dancing friend. I would love to go to a WCS class whilst i'm there. Does anyone know of any classes or of a helpful website?

Kate

Have a look at Strictly Westie (http://www.strictlywestie.com)

TheTramp
6th-November-2006, 12:17 PM
And have a really great time :hug:

Msfab
6th-November-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi all,

Kate

Apparently the best website for WCS in new york is this one http://gothamswingclub.org/index.php?option=com_events&Itemid=39 Wednesday seems to be a popular day for swinging!

Have Fun over there!

Katie
6th-November-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the helpful links and names of those who could point me in the right direction. It's really appreciated. :flower:

I'm really excited!

Rhythm King
8th-November-2006, 01:54 AM
I've been to Strictly Westie events, they're really friendly and welcoming.

Katie
28th-November-2006, 11:41 PM
Hi!

I've been back from New York over a week now. I'm sorry that I haven't updated everyone on the New York WCS scene. Work took over my life for a bit!

I went alone to the freestyle event on the wednesday night in 8th Avenue, organised by John Lindo (sp?). My non-dancing friend went to see Phantom of the Opera (i'm not a fan of Lloyd Webber).

There wasn't a class, which disappointed me as I wanted to be able to meet people during a class. Nevertheless, the girls on the door were very friendly and introduced me to a few people. As soon as they heard my British accent, lots of the New Yorkers wanted to know my story, and from then on I did not stop dancing!! Many were not aware that WCS was in London, and they were impressed that we had classes. I gave them the westcoastswing website so they could check it out if they were to come to London. A few knew Paul, Lee and Cat.

Moving on...I've saved the best bit for last....the men were AMAZING! I felt challenged in every single dance. I felt like a very basic WCS dancer. There were a few 'names' there, but i've forgotten them now. Three and half hours of lush dancing for $10. Money well spent, as opposed to $70 theater ticket.

I really want to go back. Boston tea dance maybe? Priced dependent. It would be good to arrange a group. I'd love to sightsee in Boston anyway.

Thank you again for all those who pointed me in the right direction.:flower:

By the way, New York City was fantastic too.

Kate :hug: