PDA

View Full Version : Learning

Tartaniad
3rd-November-2006, 09:51 PM
Does anyone else have the same thought as me?

The more you learn the more you forget and keep reverting back to basic?

Whitebeard
4th-November-2006, 01:06 AM
Does anyone else have the same thought as me?

The more you learn the more you forget and keep reverting back to basic?

I would pretty well agree with that but would phrase it rather differently. "The more I am taught in a hurried manner and at a very superficial level in an intermediate classes, the less I retain and the more I fall back on beginner moves." Out of three years (me being a slow learner), the last two years or so of participating in intermediate classes have been almost completely wasted so far as adding to my repertoire of moves is concerned.

Beyond "Beginner", the Ceroc "model", and probably that of most independents', does not work for me.

On the other hand, a measure of freestyle dancing, and observation of others dancing, means that more often than not (though desperately trying not to be too boring) I can go through a dance without a single "sorry". In addition I feel I can work in a few of the little personal variations and idiosyncracies I have picked up. Add to this an attempt at musicality, and a lightness of touch which a least a few ladies appreciate, and I feel I'm on the right track.

Trouble
4th-November-2006, 01:18 AM
i find as a woman that regardless of who you dance with be it fantastic or acceptable,, they all have a type, they all have favoured moves and its repeated.

The trick is, for a woman, to dance with as many varied partners as possible. That way you get a selection of moves.

Thats my experience so far anyway.

Genie
5th-November-2006, 06:22 PM
Agreed. And those special moves lead to 'running after that guy who does that fabulous XYZ move every time because I really like it'. But sometimes dancing with your regulars every week at the same class can get repetative if those men always use the same moves.

I have a friend who writes down the moves at the end of each class, and before the next class, reads them and makes a note to practice using them. It seems to work for him.

Another lead I know watches other men on the dancefloor for moves he 'should know but has forgotten' and you can see his eyes light up when he spots one and goes 'oh yeah, I remember that move'. He then uses it in the next dance.

Whatever works :) But having a selection of core/comfortable moves, I suppose, would be a wonderful thing to fall back on when you're stuck, distracted, or just having a bad day.