PDA

View Full Version : No rep outside?

Sparkles
1st-November-2006, 11:32 AM
Sorry if someone has asked this before, but why can't I rep someone on a post they have made if it's "Outside"? :confused:

TheTramp
1st-November-2006, 11:36 AM
I think that the idea is that we don't want rep given for arguments. Of course, you can always find another post by the poster, and comment that you're repping them for the outside post.... :whistle:

Cruella
1st-November-2006, 12:37 PM
So what is that little 'plus' sign next to people's name on the forum index page when you're online?
Usually it means you have added them to your buddy list.

ducasi
1st-November-2006, 01:03 PM
Sorry if someone has asked this before, but why can't I rep someone on a post they have made if it's "Outside"? :confused:
Shrug.

Works for me as far as getting the wee box to type into... :)

Just waiting for someone to say something worthy of rep to see if it'll take it... ;)

Ghost
1st-November-2006, 05:07 PM

Shrug.

Works for me as far as getting the wee box to type into... :)

Just waiting for someone to say something worthy of rep to see if it'll take it... ;)

I think you can rep people as long as they weren't the instigators of getting it pulled outside. I've gotten rep for an outside post and I've pretty certain I've given it to an StrayCat264 outside post for his continual peacemaking efforts :worthy: , among others.

PMs work well as an alternative to the more badly behaved though......:wink:

ducasi
1st-November-2006, 05:15 PM
I think you can rep people as long as they weren't the instigators of getting it pulled outside. I've gotten rep for an outside post and I've pretty certain I've given it to an StrayCat264 outside post for his continual peacemaking efforts :worthy: , among others.
I don't think the forum software is so smart as to be aware of who is responsible for having a thread moved "outside".

There are exactly two reasons for being unable to give someone rep, AFAIK...

You have repped that person recently without repping enough people in between.
You have repped too many times within the last 24 hours.

I don't believe there are any other restrictions on who you can rep and (again, AFAIK) none at all on where you can rep them.

Someone please correct me if they can show that I am wrong.

Ghost
1st-November-2006, 05:28 PM
I don't think the forum software is so smart as to be aware of who is responsible for having a thread moved "outside".

There are exactly two reasons for being unable to give someone rep, AFAIK...

You have repped that person recently without repping enough people in between.
You have repped too many times within the last 24 hours.

I don't believe there are any other restrictions on who you can rep and (again, AFAIK) none at all on where you can rep them.

Someone please correct me if they can show that I am wrong.
I think things may have changed, hence my confusion

I can't rep anyone's posts in Take It Outside now. The box appears,
but when I hit Enter I get told "You can't give reputation to this post"

I can however give rep to the Lady Sparkles for her above post.

Sparkles
1st-November-2006, 05:36 PM
I just tried again, in the hope Ducasi was right, and I get the same error as Ghost. What's going on? :confused:

ducasi
1st-November-2006, 05:41 PM
I just tried again, in the hope Ducasi was right, and I get the same error as Ghost. What's going on? :confused:
OK, in that case, I'm totally wrong. (And not for the first time! :rolleyes:)

I guess you can't rep "outside" posts then – at all. :confused:

Franck
1st-November-2006, 05:42 PM
Sorry if someone has asked this before, but why can't I rep someone on a post they have made if it's "Outside"? :confused:The rep feature is deliberately disabled in the outside area.
The idea of 'Outside' is to allow a thread to die off when it becomes too heated, and rep might not help...

Sparkles
1st-November-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Franck. :flower:

I guess it might add fuel to the fire (but seeing as reps are private I didn't think of that before hand) :blush:.

Ghost
1st-November-2006, 06:02 PM
A place to settle personal arguments. All overly agressive posts will end up here. Personal attacks or offensive posts, will simply be removed. Posts in this area will be deleted after a short while to save embarrassment. Play nice!

Something that's always puzzled me here, given the posts that aren't deleted; what exactly constitutes
"Personal attacks or offensive posts" and "Play nice!" ? :confused:

Franck
1st-November-2006, 06:16 PM
Something that's always puzzled me here, given the posts that aren't deleted; what exactly constitutes
"Personal attacks or offensive posts" and "Play nice!" ? :confused:Well, it used to be easy, there were only a couple of hundreds posts a day, and we could read them all and make judgements about them.
The forum is now so busy, that even with 3 of us moderating, we don't always notice or have time to deal with every post.

The best solution for everyone is to report any post you find personal, offensive or otherwise inapropriate, this will bring it to our attention, and we can either delete it, move it outside or give a warning to the poster.

Over the last couple of years, the ambient temperature has risen, so what used to be in-acceptable is now common place! Happy to debate whether you want a cleaner / nicer forum or if you like it as it is!

Ghost
1st-November-2006, 06:28 PM
Well, it used to be easy, there were only a couple of hundreds posts a day, and we could read them all and make judgements about them.
The forum is now so busy, that even with 3 of us moderating, we don't always notice or have time to deal with every post.

The best solution for everyone is to report any post you find personal, offensive or otherwise inapropriate, this will bring it to our attention, and we can either delete it, move it outside or give a warning to the poster.

Over the last couple of years, the ambient temperature has risen, so what used to be in-acceptable is now common place! Happy to debate whether you want a cleaner / nicer forum or if you like it as it is!
Just to clarify, are you saying that "personal attacks" are acceptable on threads that are "Outside"?

Franck
1st-November-2006, 06:37 PM
Just to clarify, are you saying that "personal attacks" are acceptable on threads that are "Outside"?Nope, not saying that!

I'm saying that personal attacks should be reported and moderators will decide whether it should be deleted.

Cruella
1st-November-2006, 06:47 PM
Just to clarify, are you saying that "personal attacks" are acceptable on threads that are "Outside"?

Why, who are you thinking of attacking?

El Salsero Gringo
1st-November-2006, 08:53 PM
Why, who are you thinking of attacking?Everyone.

Tossers.

TheTramp
1st-November-2006, 08:59 PM
Everyone.

Am I bovvered?

Genie
2nd-November-2006, 04:07 AM
Am I bovvered?

Not usually, no.