PDA

View Full Version : Studio closures - is this the future?

Paul F
1st-November-2006, 11:30 AM
I heard some distressing news last week.

It seems that Semley Dance Studio (SW London) may be closing its doors to make way for a development of luxury apartments :sad:

I havn't, of course, confirmed that with the management as I havnt been there for a while but it distressed me nevertheless.

This comes on the back of the fact that the building that Guildford Danceworld now occupies is being reclaimed by the church for re-development. :sad:

In this modern world, particularly in the South East of England, are we going to continue to see this gradual eroding of some premier studios in light of property developments etc?

Right now we have 4 main studios in the South (well, in the UK!!) - Dance Options in Cheam, Streatham , Semley and Danceworld (until they both close).

With the increasing numbers of participants in ballroom dancing, probably due to the TV, it seems like this decline in premium studios is going to have a major effect.

Its a sad thing. :sad:

TheTramp
1st-November-2006, 11:34 AM
With the increasing numbers of participants in ballroom dancing, probably due to the TV, it seems like this decline in premium studios is going to have a major effect.

Yeah. The remaining ones will start to put the prices up, due to increasing demand! :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
1st-November-2006, 11:37 AM
Paul, on the one hand you decry the closure of dance studios... on the other you're looking for very very cheap practice rooms! You can't have it both ways!

I can add that Expressions Studios in Kentish Town which opened two years ago is extremely busy and shows every sign of being a most successful business.

robd
1st-November-2006, 11:40 AM
It seems that Semley Dance Studio (SW London) may be closing its doors to make way for a development of luxury apartments :sad:

I havn't, of course, confirmed that with the management as I havnt been there for a while but it distressed me nevertheless.

Paul, this is not a dig at you personally ( I know you've been away in India) but if lots of people who would really like the SDS to stay open ' havnt been there for a while' also then maybe it's no suprise that they are closing their doors? I know from personal experience when library closures are proposed that the most vociferous opponents of the closure tend to be those who are not members or users of the library.

Robert

Paul F
1st-November-2006, 11:44 AM
Paul, on the one hand you decry the closure of dance studios... on the other you're looking for very very cheap practice rooms! You can't have it both ways!

Of course you can!!
My mourning the closure of quality schools has nothing to do with the fact that I cant afford to hire them out for practice.

I am looking for cheap practice space in church halls, gyms etc. purely because these dance schools are so busy and can afford to charge heaps.

The schools I listed house some of the finest instructors in the world. I have spoken to people who relocate here purely based on their reputation.
This has nothign to do with me looking for practice space for myself.

I can add that Expressions Studios in Kentish Town which opened two years ago is extremely busy and shows every sign of being a most successful business.

Thats great to hear. I just hope they can attract the calibre of teachers that will now have a gap in their diary !

Paul F
1st-November-2006, 11:46 AM
Paul, this is not a dig at you personally ( I know you've been away in India) but if lots of people who would really like the SDS to stay open ' havnt been there for a while' also then maybe it's no suprise that they are closing their doors? I know from personal experience when library closures are proposed that the most vociferous opponents of the closure tend to be those who are not members or users of the library.

Robert

Yeah. I know what you mean.
Fortunately, from all accounts my lack of attendance is not really affecting them :) . They are still filling out regularly and the privates are still flying along :nice:

Im not really worried for me but rather for other people that may use it.

El Salsero Gringo
1st-November-2006, 12:00 PM
I am looking for cheap practice space in church halls, gyms etc. purely because these dance schools are so busy and can afford to charge heaps. Um... what am I missing... if they're doing so well then why are they closing?

Paul F
1st-November-2006, 12:08 PM
Um... what am I missing... if they're doing so well then why are they closing?

I dont know how property developers work but I assume, in that area, they can make bucket loads more money by having luxury apartments.
Its succesful as a dance venture but given the location and the land prices it will probably be more profitable in other guises to someone.
As I say though. I dont know how their minds work.

I did wonder if it had something to do with the Olympics but Im just guessing.

El Salsero Gringo
1st-November-2006, 12:13 PM
I dont know how property developers work but I assume, in that area, they can make bucket loads more money by having luxury apartments.
Its succesful as a dance venture but given the location and the land prices it will probably be more profitable in other guises to someone.
As I say though. I dont know how their minds work.

I did wonder if it had something to do with the Olympics but Im just guessing.A developer would need planning permission to change the use of the land from commercial to residential, so the local authority planning committee would be the place to take this.

Tessalicious
1st-November-2006, 12:52 PM
Thats great to hear. I just hope they can attract the calibre of teachers that will now have a gap in their diary !Nah, they only have tinpot teachers like Anton du Beke and Federico teaching there.

I disagree that there are only four studios - I don't know the specific ones you mention but just in London, besides Expressions, there are Pineapple in Covent Garden, Kensington in, uh, Kensington, the Basement in Islington, London Studio Centre in Kings Cross, Marylebone in Lisson Grove, Greewich Dance Agency in Greenwich, Latin Quarter in Euston... need I go on? I know they're not ideally placed for you, but they do exist, and some are less expensive than others.

Unfortunately, the nature of studios is that they almost always aren't big enough to use for ballroom or for Ceroc classes, but they do fine for everything else, freeing up the other spaces for those types of dance. In theory.

Paul F
1st-November-2006, 01:05 PM
Nah, they only have tinpot teachers like Anton du Beke and Federico teaching there.

I disagree that there are only four studios - I don't know the specific ones you mention but just in London, besides Expressions, there are Pineapple in Covent Garden, Kensington in, uh, Kensington, the Basement in Islington, London Studio Centre in Kings Cross, Marylebone in Lisson Grove, Greewich Dance Agency in Greenwich, Latin Quarter in Euston... need I go on? I know they're not ideally placed for you, but they do exist, and some are less expensive than others.

Unfortunately very very few of the ones you mention there have a big presence on the competitive ballroom/latin circuit. I have no idea if these are general dance studios or ballroom studios but they dont really appear on the radar.
I guess this will change though if the big ones close.

I wasnt suggesting there are only 4 concrete studios :-) Thats just what the perception is internationally. I guess opinions must evolve as studios do. Maybe those listed will be considered among the 'elite' in years to come.

Tessalicious
1st-November-2006, 01:34 PM
Two points - first you didn't say 'studios catering for the competitive ballroom circuit', you said dance studios. So that's what I assumed you meant.

Second, these places do teach ballroom - Expressions has Anton teaching ballroom and latin twice a week (4 classes) plus another (ex)-champion latin dancer teaching ballroom and latin, the Latin Quarter teach latin ballroom (I think), and I'm sure some of the others do too. True, mostly they target the beginner/improver market, but if you are worried about the impact of Strictly Come Dancing then that is exactly the market you are hoping to be catered for, not the competitive level. That's what private lessons are for - and if anything, these beginner lessons earn the teachers enough money that they can afford to give privates for slightly less (although whether they do is a different matter).

And as for 'elite' - what does it take for a dance studio to be considered elite? Cos, even though I can't afford membership there, I have a lot of respect for the fact that Pineapple not only have exhibitions at loads of events (Regent Street Festival, for example), they even have their own clothing line sold at department stores. I can't imagine a studio getting much higher profile than that, can you?

El Salsero Gringo
1st-November-2006, 01:40 PM
I think what Paul means is "recognised by the best as *the* place to be trained if you're a serious competitor who wants to be one of the best" - which is not the same as commercial profile. Just like there are athletics clubs whose coaches are Olympic standard and regularly send their members into national teams, I guess, and music teachers who are of the top calibre even if they take only a very select few students.

Paul F
1st-November-2006, 02:52 PM
Sorry. I didnt make myself clear.

When I said 'studios' I was indeed referring to the 'perceived' elite studios where, hopefully, some new inductees via SCD will end up.
Whether or not they deserve that title is up for debate. Nevertheless, they have it - around the world.

Im just sad because we are losing some. :sad: