PDA

View Full Version : A Pat on the Back

Gus
31st-October-2006, 01:14 PM
Sometimes its easy to pick on the negatives (yeah, ok, guilty as charged), but its also good to praise those who have contributed to making MJ a good place to be. Its easier sometimes to think about the BIG names, e.g. Viktor but I think its the 'local heroes' who on a week to week basis make the local events/clubs a fun place to be.

I'd like to publicly give some respect to DJ Neil, the DJ for Blitz Chester on a Monday night. He's been a key factor in making the Chester freestyle a consistent sell-out event. I cannot understand why Blitz do not use him as their main DJ at Stockport freestyles as he is the most consistent and innovative DJ in the N West.

The reason he came to mind was after last nights performance. The beginners class was struggling and I needed to keep changing the tempo of the music for the 'to music' practices. Neil was able to change speed smoothly, pick the right tracks with just a few handsignals from me from stage. In the intermediate lesson I gave him no warning of the type of music I wanted. Instead, he watched the routine develop and picked out just the right style and tempo of music to make it an altogether better experience. When a teacher is having a tough time from stage, a good DJ can make a huge difference.

As usual, his freetsyle music was varied, interesting and made u want to dance. And on top of all that he's a really nice guy. So, RESPECT. :respect:

Trousers
31st-October-2006, 01:33 PM
Two things spring to mind following that. . . .

Firstly i don't know any of the Chester crowd that use the forum - Including Neil so is that praise although justified wasted?

Secondly the punters were struggling with your beginners class scary???

straycat
31st-October-2006, 01:51 PM
Secondly the punters were struggling with your beginners class scary???

Funny that - he must've been teaching something worth learning ;)

Donna
31st-October-2006, 01:56 PM
Firstly i don't know any of the Chester crowd that use the forum - Including Neil so is that praise although justified wasted?

Moi! :clap: so, not wasted. :na: Yeah neil played some great stuff last night.:respect: most frustrating part though about playing one good track after another is 1)Even though you're completely nackered, you don't want to leave the dance floor :grin: 2) When you do eventually get off the dance floor for a drink etc, and your fave track comes on you blo ody can't because everyone has now been taken!! arrgggh!

Gus
31st-October-2006, 02:05 PM
Firstly i don't know any of the Chester crowd that use the forum - Including Neil so is that praise although justified wasted?Well, to my knowledge, at least three forumites are regulars at Chester (jive_me, Donna and DanceCat) and there are probably others that I don't know. But, even if there wasn't .... would it matter?

Secondly the punters were struggling with your beginners class scary???We had a number of 'virgins' who were trying to force the lady through an octopus rather than listen to what I was teaching ... it happens ... but we all got there in the end :)

The reason I started the thread, was not so much as a one off but more as a thread for people to praise their local heroes. Looking back I didn't make that clear. :blush:

Donna
31st-October-2006, 02:23 PM
The reason I started the thread, was not so much as a one off but more as a thread for people to praise their local heroes. Looking back I didn't make that clear. :blush:

Think this is a great idea - a thread to praise local heroes ... :clap:

I think you should be one of the first to be added to this list then Gus - for being a great teacher and DJ, and a good person to know. :hug: (hey look, your rep total is now 666! :eek: :rofl:)

Anymore?

TheTramp
31st-October-2006, 02:36 PM
Is this what you get if you lie face down in a field of cows? :rolleyes:

David Bailey
31st-October-2006, 02:45 PM
Well, to my knowledge, at least three forumites are regulars at Chester (jive_me, Donna and DanceCat) and there are probably others that I don't know. But, even if there wasn't .... would it matter?
Nope - not to me anyway.

I've even occasionally praised Finchley*, despite it being pretty much a forum-free zone.

In fact, I'd much prefer to hear about non-Forumite-heavy venues, rather than endure another round of "Whose Cake Is It Anyway" or whatever.

* Not last night though, it was cr&p.

Twirly
31st-October-2006, 02:49 PM
* Not last night though, it was cr&p.

Why was it cr@p?

David Bailey
31st-October-2006, 02:57 PM
Why was it cr@p?
Dunno really, I just didn't get into it that much. For some reason I didn't feel any atmosphere. Nothing to do with the music, or anything... Maybe all the Cool Dancers were at the Hippodrome.

Twirly
31st-October-2006, 02:58 PM
Dunno really, I just didn't get into it that much. For some reason I didn't feel any atmosphere. Nothing to do with the music, or anything... Maybe all the Cool Dancers were at the Hippodrome.

I wonder if that's where all the men were too... :angry:

David Bailey
31st-October-2006, 03:01 PM
I wonder if that's where all the men were too... :angry:
Anyway, enough of this whingeing, it's supposed to be a Happy Thread!!

Twirly
31st-October-2006, 03:06 PM
Anyway, enough of this whingeing, it's supposed to be a Happy Thread!!

:eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Will whoever has stolen the real DJ please bring him back?!

Trousers
31st-October-2006, 03:15 PM

Was this meant to go in the feedback thread then where Good but also Bad
points are made. Darn too busy to Harperlink to it.

That's a happy thread too . . . . . . . . . mostly

Gus
31st-October-2006, 03:30 PM
Was this meant to go in the feedback thread then where Good but also Bad points are made. Darn too busy to Harperlink to it.Was trying someting different. Its about people, not venues. Neil works at a number of venues and punters woould probably apprecaite just how much he supports the teachers. Also, as I'm crew at Chester, it would be difficult for me to put up an unbiased post as to how good/bad the venue was.

bigdjiver
31st-October-2006, 04:16 PM
... is that praise although justified wasted?
....Good managers use praise extensively to build a positive atmosphere and to set organisation goals and ethos.

e.g Not X - you look like a tramp.
but, in X's hearing - Y always looks so smart and ....

El Salsero Gringo
31st-October-2006, 04:59 PM
Also, as I'm crew at Chester, it would be difficult for me to put up an unbiased post as to how good/bad the venue was.I see. So giving a big up to the DJ who works at that venue is different how, exactly? :confused:

Donna
31st-October-2006, 05:04 PM
I see. So giving a big up to the DJ who works at that venue is different how, exactly? :confused:

It doesn't matter what Gus posts on here you've always got something to say.

El Salsero Gringo
31st-October-2006, 05:05 PM
It doesn't matter what Gus posts on here you've always got something to say.Mainly because of the trash that comes out every time he puts his fingers to the keyboard.

TheTramp
31st-October-2006, 05:07 PM
It doesn't matter what Gus posts on here you've always got something to say.

I read this. And I thought "Oh dear", it's the TiggsTours / GetaGrip thing all over again.....

Mainly because of the trash that comes out every time he puts his fingers to the keyboard.

But no. He was surprisingly nice, and didn't actually insult Donna at all....

:rolleyes:

Cruella
31st-October-2006, 05:07 PM
I see. So giving a big up to the DJ who works at that venue is different how, exactly? :confused:

It's obvious that Gus was praising this Dj from the perspective of a teacher. It's not as if he was making out that he went there purely because it is a fantastic venue from a punters point of view. Don't see what the problem is?:confused:

Donna
31st-October-2006, 05:11 PM
It's obvious that Gus was praising this Dj from the perspective of a teacher. It's not as if he was making out that he went there purely because it is a fantastic venue from a punters point of view. Don't see what the problem is?:confused:

I don't see what the problem is either... this is suppose to be a 'happy' thread where people praise their local heroes - and ESG happens to lower the tone - again.

Gus
31st-October-2006, 05:12 PM
So ...... nobody want to say anything nice about anybody???? :o

David Bailey
31st-October-2006, 05:16 PM
So ...... nobody want to say anything nice about anybody???? :o
Oh, OK, then, it goes against the grain, but just this once.

Jackie, the taxi manager at Finchley, is really nice - friendly, supportive, down-to-earth. One of the unsung heroes - she does all the work and the teachers / DJs get all the glamour.

There. Phew, that was hard work.

Trousers
31st-October-2006, 05:32 PM
Good managers use praise extensively to build a positive atmosphere and to set organisation goals and ethos.

e.g Not X - you look like a tramp.
but, in X's hearing - Y always looks so smart and ....

Yeah ok I think we all get that and I think we all appreciate praise when we get it

But is Donna gonna print out the post and go to Chester tonight and Say "Oh Neillyweely look what GussWussy wrote about you!??"
Nah 'corse not. Gus knows he don't use the forum. What does that mean then?

As part of the management team - which I think is where a lot of the friction is stemming from here - Gus should have said his praise in person to Neil.

Praise for a Venue from one of the TEAM it's a little crass.

It's like me saying 'I'm a great dancer dancer with me baby' to the next gorgeous girl that walks through the door.

Hey Great Plan!

Gus
31st-October-2006, 05:47 PM
But is Donna gonna print out the post and go to Chester tonight and Say "Oh Neillyweely look what GussWussy wrote about you!??" Nah 'corse not. Gus knows he don't use the forum. What does that mean then?I don't know if Neil is on the Forum. as a DJ I suggested that he checks out the DJ section from time to time so he may a 'lurker'. We all gave Neil praise on the night but thats not what this thread was about.

Praise for a Venue from one of the TEAM it's a little crass.What praise for the venue? I've just tried to say Neil is an asset to MJ. Ask Keith at Revolution Jive. He's made a big shout about Neil DJing for him on occaision. I don't dance much, and usualy only at Chester, so its the only club I can comment elsewhere. Why not stop having a go and think about who you could 'pat on the back'.

Trousers
31st-October-2006, 06:08 PM
Perleeese!

I quite often rep up or pat on the back as you say DJ's at venues I visit, as well as the venue and indeed individual dancers when I feel the need. usually in the Feedback on club nights thread

And conversely I don't always have a go when i feel someone left something lacking.

Twirly
31st-October-2006, 06:10 PM
For some odd reason, this "pat on the back thing" makes me think of burping babies... :rolleyes:

Donna
31st-October-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't know if Neil is on the Forum. as a DJ I suggested that he checks out the DJ section from time to time so he may a 'lurker'. We all gave Neil praise on the night but thats not what this thread was about.

I bet he is a lurker....just like one of the other Blitz DJ's is on here. You don't have to register to look in that thread anyway or this one either - hope Neil is reading this.

Why not stop having a go and think about who you could 'pat on the back'?
:yeah:

Trousers
31st-October-2006, 06:42 PM
I bet he is a lurker....just like one of the other Blitz DJ's is on here. You don't have to register to look in that thread anyway or this one either - hope Neil is reading this.

Oh god where's the bucket?

Hey Bucket carrier dude bring it over here quick so I can pat you on the back!

Bleeuurgghhhhhchhhh

Aww forget it!

Minnie M
31st-October-2006, 07:07 PM
Is this what you get if you lie face down in a field of cows? :rolleyes:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
(I wont mention my chalet mate this weekend Patrick Cash :blush: )

Northants Girly
31st-October-2006, 11:52 PM
So ...... nobody want to say anything nice about anybody???? :oNo I doubt it - so not the way of the forum these days . . .

there's only name dropping, free advertising, having a dig at others and an awful lot of bad language on here :(

genuinely praise? . . . . . you must be bl00dy joking :whistle:

David Bailey
1st-November-2006, 09:30 AM
there's only name dropping, free advertising, having a dig at others and an awful lot of bad language on here :(
I agree - and as I said to Viktor and Nina and Mike and Simon only last week, Finchley's a great venue, much better than f*cking Hippodrome, come along you b&stards.
:innocent:

tiger
3rd-November-2006, 08:27 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DJ does it again.