PDA

View Full Version : DJ trouble

Genie
27th-October-2006, 06:46 PM
Ok, I have to ask - any regulars at my class on a Wednesday notice how awful the music is? Or is it just a group of us who have a problem? This was sparked off by the thread on 'should DJs know how to dance?'

This DJ is supplied by the venue, but I was talking to several of the intermediate dancers one night a few weeks ago and they were ALL complaining about the music. It was awful. So much 'clubbing dance' stuff. You know, "thump-thump" music. If we wanted a different track we'd have to request it. And wait 7 or 8 tracks to get it. He never seems to change the style. There's the occasional 'good' night, when we'll hear a few good tracks in a row, but all in all, it's not good for most of the intermediate dancers I've spoken to. Bill and I ended up trying to Blues to "I see you baby" by Groove Armarda (actually we didn't do a bad job :p But you get the idea?) No swing, latin, blues, etc. Nothing but 'Dance' music.

It's why a lot of us end up standing around watching the new people on the dance floor, or rushing downstairs to Chicago to catch the DJ there, who seems to play a wider variety of music.

A few of us have moved nights to a different class. Which is a shame, because the teacher is a good one. I just wish the music was more "varied."

Ok, rant over. I feel bad now :blush: :(

Adrian (DJ)
28th-October-2006, 03:19 AM
I guess the answer to this is: it's all about taste. Aberdeen is quite unique in having three nights with three different DJ's. The Wednesday's pull the most of all three, so there must be a market for this. After all, some of the worst music out there, seems to also be the best-selling!

If Aberdeen dancers went to all three nights, I'm sure they would find one which is more to their taste, whether it is the bluesy Tuesday's with Trampy, my Thursday's (hard to describe - a bit of soul, jazz, disco and blues) or Paul's eclectic Wednesday's.

I get asked for 'thump thump' music all the time (I play dance music a lot less than I used to, although in my other DJ alter-ego, I'm really enjoying house at the moment - but I wouldn't try and play it at Ceroc), so there is a lot of people who want to dance to this.

Might be a stupid question, but have you spoke to Paul and made any requests or brought a CD in for him?

TheTramp
28th-October-2006, 03:28 AM
If Aberdeen dancers went to all three nights, I'm sure they would find one which is more to their taste, whether it is the bluesy Tuesday's with Trampy

Is that the general impression of Tuesday nights? I probably play no more than 2-4 blues tracks on any given class night. Along with a few swing tracks, some latin tracks, a couple of R&B tracks, and maybe even some rock or 60's tracks occasionally (though I'll be the first to admit that the last 2 genres aren't really my forte). And probably more of the dreaded (:whistle: ) pop tracks than any of the above genres.

Variety is what I try to provide most nights...

TheTramp
28th-October-2006, 03:28 AM
Hmmm. Is it me, or are Aberdeen DJs going to get a reputation for never sleeping from this thread? :rolleyes:

WittyBird
28th-October-2006, 04:46 AM
{snip)

Ok, rant over. I feel bad now :blush: :(

Oh Ok If you feel bad then why post it?

I agree however that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am not backward in coming forward. I cannot comment on any nights up there in the cold.

But what I do think is, If you have something to say then say it. Don't ever feel bad for giving your opinion. We can all learn from the views of others. :D

Miguel
28th-October-2006, 09:25 AM
The number one rule of sales is "Give the customer what they want" and if the majority of people ie. the PAYING public, want "thump-thump" music (whatever that is) then the dj should play it, the majority of the time.

Genie
28th-October-2006, 01:56 PM
Yes, we've requested. I believe I mentioned that in my post.

Wednesday nights pull the crowd mostly because the venue is so central. I haven't been to a thursday night since Station Hotel, I may swap nights.

I just feel that some of the dancers with more (sorry) style, are finding all the tump-thump music is driving them away, or driving them to drink ;-) I think the fact that Chicago is downstairs is now the main reason some of them go, and the reason a lot of them no longer turn up until late.

A lot of people can't make it to Culter, so Tuesday nights are not an option. I'll see about going on Thursdays instead, if the music is more varied? We used to enjoy thursdays before it moved to Station Hotel. I would just feel bad about abandoning Wednesday nights altogether.

s that the general impression of Tuesday nights? I probably play no more than 2-4 blues tracks on any given class night. Along with a few swing tracks, some latin tracks, a couple of R&B tracks, and maybe even some rock or 60's tracks occasionally (though I'll be the first to admit that the last 2 genres aren't really my forte). And probably more of the dreaded ( ) pop tracks than any of the above genres.

Variety is what I try to provide most nights...

And for this I am deeply grateful sweety. We all are. Thing is, if we make a request of you, we're unlikely to hear "sorry, don't have that...it's not thump-thump" Why do I not like this style of music to dance to? It seems that the whole world is playing it. :p

So my taste in music is outdated then. Suddenly I feel old.

Adrian (DJ)
28th-October-2006, 02:19 PM
Sorry Trampy, I seem to have generalised your music. From what forum users say, I was under the impression that blues was your forte, so apologies again.

Genie: I would recommend that you give all nights a try and see which one is more to your taste. Hopefully you'll like Thursdays. A lot of the Aberdeen crowd have their preferred night and maybe a night they're not so keen on, that's just life. The good thing is, there's variety and you are in a more fortunate position than a lot of other dancers around the country.

Maybe see you Thursday.

Adrian (DJ)
28th-October-2006, 02:20 PM
Oh, and I work in the entertainment industry Trampy - what's your excuse?

Genie
28th-October-2006, 02:35 PM
I was under the impression that blues was your forte

There's no answer to that really, is there. :yum:

I would recommend that you give all nights a try and see which one is more to your taste. Hopefully you'll like Thursdays. A lot of the Aberdeen crowd have their preferred night and maybe a night they're not so keen on, that's just life. The good thing is, there's variety and you are in a more fortunate position than a lot of other dancers around the country.

Maybe see you Thursday.

Maybe you shall. I am lucky, I suppose, because I have transport to all nights with little difficulty. And I don't have other commitments on my time, unlike a lot of dancers. I used to enjoy Wednesday nights. I wonder what happened?

Btw, is it considered ok to hand a DJ a CD? And what formats would be required for the tracks? I've not done that before. I'd have thought it wouldn't go down well :what: :confused:

mrs_warwick
28th-October-2006, 03:45 PM
Btw, is it considered ok to hand a DJ a CD? And what formats would be required for the tracks?

I have given the DJ at Leicester an normal CD (at his request). It's one way of ensuring that there will be at least one track I like! I don't do it every week, I appreciate that not everyone likes my music, although the dance floor is always full when this track is played (Billy Idol, White Wedding).

Lynn
28th-October-2006, 04:25 PM
Btw, is it considered ok to hand a DJ a CD? And what formats would be required for the tracks? I've not done that before. I'd have thought it wouldn't go down well :what: :confused:I have tried this at (non MJ) dinner dances. At the request of the organisers who have booked and paid for the DJ. I have marked out appropriate tracks that are suitable for both MJ and 'muggle' dancing. The DJ has said OK, or has even said 'I have some of those songs already with me' - and then has proceeded to play only one of the requested tracks over the whole evening.

I still have no idea why some DJs resist suggestions and requests not only from the punters but also from the people who are paying them!

El Salsero Gringo
28th-October-2006, 04:31 PM
I still have no idea why some DJs resist suggestions and requests not only from the punters but also from the people who are paying them!When you pay a DJ (when I pay a DJ, at any rate) I pay them for their musical taste and judgement; When a DJ blindly plays requests from the floor they're suspending that judgement in favour of someone else's, and not doing the job that I pay them for.

Whether they play requests from the employer is only a little different: it's like hiring a comedian and insisting they use your jokes. Sure it's your right, if you're footing the bill, but it's a bit pointless, don't you think?

ducasi
28th-October-2006, 04:41 PM
A good DJ in a regular event should be pleased to receive CDs and suggestions of what to play. Even if they can't play the suggested tracks immediately (and playing more than one or two tracks from a CD is going to be difficult on a night – especially if they are unfamiliar tunes) it gives them a better idea of what one (and usually more) of their punters would like to dance to.

And maybe in future weeks they'll play them some more, or find inspiration in your suggestions for other tracks which will please even more people.

Lynn
28th-October-2006, 04:50 PM
When you pay a DJ (when I pay a DJ, at any rate) I pay them for their musical taste and judgement; When a DJ blindly plays requests from the floor they're suspending that judgement in favour of someone else's, and not doing the job that I pay them for. One of these DJs did a wedding party I was at once. While the buffet was being served beforehand he was playing a great range of music, mixing modern and classic. As soon as the wedding disco started he played all the same tired old 'wedding disco' tunes. Its the same songs every time - year after year. Starting the night (always) with I will survive... (except of course at the wedding party!)

And its not 'blindly playing requests from the floor' its a request, in advance of the music starting, to play some from a range of selected tracks - or even to get a hint from the suggested tracks at what type of music is preferred and select a few from his own playlist that fit that.

(Typically I've just shrugged, had an enjoyable evening anyway, knowing that I would be organising my own party soon after with most of the same people, and I could play my choice of music then.)

Whether they play requests from the employer is only a little different: it's like hiring a comedian and insisting they use your jokes. So OK then if he told the same jokes as he had last time, and the time before. You wouldn't think the person hiring should be able to ask that he does new material? (I don't think its a very good analogy anyway.)

Genie
28th-October-2006, 04:53 PM
When you pay a DJ (when I pay a DJ, at any rate) I pay them for their musical taste and judgement;

Except when you're paying for the venue and the venue supplies the DJ. Which is the situation in this case.

El Salsero Gringo
28th-October-2006, 06:02 PM
So OK then if he told the same jokes as he had last time, and the time before. You wouldn't think the person hiring should be able to ask that he does new material? (I don't think its a very good analogy anyway.)You're confusing two things. If they're a crap DJ, then they're a crap DJ. The complaint is then that they're not good at their job - not that they won't play what you ask them.

Except when you're paying for the venue and the venue supplies the DJ. Which is the situation in this case.There's a difference between telling the DJ which genre and style you want to hear (when it's your party) and giving them a playlist. If you tell them what tracks to play they're not a DJ any more - they're an audio technician.

David Bailey
28th-October-2006, 08:01 PM
I keep on thinking this thread is about "trouble" learning to be a DJ.

Lynn
28th-October-2006, 08:04 PM
I keep on thinking this thread is about "trouble" learning to be a DJ.Or someone having trouble with someone called DJ...:whistle:

Jamie
28th-October-2006, 08:17 PM
I love dancing to any kind of music as long as there is room to play.. I hate the same 8 beats being repeated over and over again, it drives me crazy.. I'm not a 'moves monkey', I love to actually dance, I love to listen to the music, play with the words, use the breaks and use the music to make changes in my dancing tempo..

I love dancing to fast stuff, slow stuff, latin, swing.. a bit of everything really, but that's just it, I want it all in one night, I want a mix.. I hate going to a venue and hearing the majority of it being only one type of music, unless it's blues/swing.. haha, that's my favorite! But seriously, I don't mind this "thump thump" music, but it's not something I wanna hear for the majority of the night, I can put up with it if the DJ will play a mixture of genres of music.

It's a shame when DJ's do a full night of "thump thump" music, and if it doesn't change I'd be forced to look elsewhere for a dance venue because to me, that situation would be torture! Not everyone likes the same music, not everyones dancing style is the same, so because of this, DJ's should play a mix of everything to ensure everyone gets a little of what they want.

Sorry if I kinda went off on a bit of a rant lol, it's one thing that can get me moaning tho - bad music! lol.

Genie
28th-October-2006, 09:44 PM
:yeah: Here, here.

Or someone having trouble with someone called DJ...

You need a thread for that? :wink:

Frankie_4711
29th-October-2006, 12:03 PM
I love dancing to any kind of music as long as there is room to play.. I hate the same 8 beats being repeated over and over again, it drives me crazy.. I'm not a 'moves monkey', I love to actually dance, I love to listen to the music, play with the words, use the breaks and use the music to make changes in my dancing tempo..

I love dancing to fast stuff, slow stuff, latin, swing.. a bit of everything really, but that's just it, I want it all in one night, I want a mix.. I hate going to a venue and hearing the majority of it being only one type of music, unless it's blues/swing.. haha, that's my favorite! But seriously, I don't mind this "thump thump" music, but it's not something I wanna hear for the majority of the night, I can put up with it if the DJ will play a mixture of genres of music.

It's a shame when DJ's do a full night of "thump thump" music, and if it doesn't change I'd be forced to look elsewhere for a dance venue because to me, that situation would be torture! Not everyone likes the same music, not everyones dancing style is the same, so because of this, DJ's should play a mix of everything to ensure everyone gets a little of what they want.

Sorry if I kinda went off on a bit of a rant lol, it's one thing that can get me moaning tho - bad music! lol.

:yeah:

I can and will (at least try to!) dance to anything - the fact that I don't like a particular track or a particular type of music will not stop me dancing to it, but if there is too much of one type of music (except blues!) it can start to get a bit boring. If it's not blues all the time, then it's got to be a mix.

I have taken tracks along for DJs to play, and most of the time have been told 'you can't dance to that!'. Well I can - surely I can't be the only one! Isn't it worth giving it a try? One of my tracks did get played once, but the DJ said there was hardly anyone dancing - I have to admit as soon as it came on I just grabbed the nearest guy and immersed myself, so didn't notice how many others were dancing!

bigdjiver
29th-October-2006, 01:20 PM
Our DJ hates the Mavericks.
He gets requests for the Mavericks.
He plays the Mavericks. (But very rarely)
He plays a very varied mix, and I enjoy my evenings.

frodo
29th-October-2006, 01:48 PM
... When a DJ blindly plays requests from the floor they're suspending that judgement in favour of someone else's, and not doing the job that I pay them for.

Not disagreeing as such, but I would have assumed they would have the gear, skills and judgement to listen/preview the requested tracks before they play them.

And come to a balanced judgement as to whether they are reasonable, and where to fit them in the playlist.

Adrian (DJ)
29th-October-2006, 07:49 PM
Anyone can give me a CD of songs and I'll have a listen to them. That I can guarantee because I don't put myself out there as being superior in musical knowledge. You'll have songs I've never heard of and might work so by all means inform me about them.

What I can't guarantee is that those songs will get played. Maybe I've played them before and they didn't go down well, maybe I think they're too challenging for the crowd that night or perhaps it's something like Bob the Builder or Crazy Frog that regardless if the paying public want to hear that - I ain't playing ball!

I'll try and play requests but just because a DJ doesn't play your specific request, doesn't make them arrogant or a bad DJ - they're just trying to do their job.

(Genie: if they play on your CD player at home, then they'll work on the venue equipment. Just burn it off your computer. Feel free to bring me one in this Thursday - but heed the Crazy Frog warning above!)

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 07:56 PM

What I can't guarantee is that those songs will get played. Maybe I've played them before and they didn't go down well, maybe I think they're too challenging for the crowd that night or perhaps it's something like Bob the Builder or Crazy Frog that regardless if the paying public want to hear that - I ain't playing ball!

Thank goodness finally a DJ who doesn't think that the crazy frog is the best dance track in the world!!! :respect:

TheTramp
29th-October-2006, 08:13 PM
Oh, and I work in the entertainment industry Trampy - what's your excuse?

I'm a student! ;)

Juju
29th-October-2006, 08:38 PM
I keep on thinking this thread is about "trouble" learning to be a DJ.

No, it's about a match made in Heaven.... :devil:

David Bailey
29th-October-2006, 08:57 PM
No, it's about a match made in Heaven.... :devil:
I just got that :eek:

Jamie
29th-October-2006, 09:21 PM
{snip}
I have taken tracks along for DJs to play, and most of the time have been told 'you can't dance to that!'. Well I can - surely I can't be the only one! Isn't it worth giving it a try?
{snip}

That's what I can't stand, you give DJ's a song that's perfectly dancable, and they go "You can't dance to that!!!".. I find a few DJ's at larger venues are afraid to even try a song out, they'd rather stick to "thump thump" cos it's safe..

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 09:28 PM
Its always worth a try dancing to something new, different and exciting...who wants to stick to safe???

It gives people a chance to experiment with different moves, tempo and style it can be really interesting and hey if it really doesn't work at least you've had a giggle trying :grin:

TheTramp
29th-October-2006, 09:31 PM
Its always worth a try dancing to something new, different and exciting...who wants to stick to safe???

Probably about 94.3% of the dancing population!

Or about 5.7% of the forum population

:rolleyes:

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 09:35 PM
Probably about 94.3% of the dancing population!

Or about 5.7% of the forum population

:rolleyes:

why???

don't you get a buzz when you try something new and it works!

TheTramp
29th-October-2006, 09:39 PM
why???

don't you get a buzz when you try something new and it works!

I do. I'm in the 94.3% of the forum population who likes that. But the forum aren't typical of the general dancing population. I'm sure that's not been said before though....

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 09:43 PM
I do. I'm in the 94.3% of the forum population who likes that. But the forum aren't typical of the general dancing population. I'm sure that's not been said before though....

Cool. I just love trying stuff thats a bit new....think as a result i'm getting a rep as someone who is fun to dance with but not necessarily good to dance with...I should prob be a bit more serious and pay a little more attention..but I regularly get told that it was the guys best dance of the evening! :blush:

TheTramp
29th-October-2006, 09:45 PM
but I regularly get told that it was the guys best dance of the evening! :blush:

When are you coming to Scotland to visit then? :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
29th-October-2006, 09:46 PM
I'll try and play requests but just because a DJ doesn't play your specific request, doesn't make them arrogant or a bad DJ - they're just trying to do their job.
Not disagreeing as such, but I would have assumed they would have the gear, skills and judgement to listen/preview the requested tracks before they play them.

And come to a balanced judgement as to whether they are reasonable, and where to fit them in the playlist.I agree with both of you; trouble is when a punter turns up with their CD at the ready and the DJ won't play the tracks because he or she is doing their job properly ... then the punter comes on the Forum to whinge about how the DJ was so rubbish because they wouldn't play that track that everyone can dance to (surely?).

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 09:53 PM
When are you coming to Scotland to visit then? :whistle:

Little bit far! would have to make a long weekend of it...If there are any large events though I would come for a visit!

You offering to pick me up from the airport (he he!):devil:

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 09:54 PM
I agree with both of you; trouble is when a punter turns up with their CD at the ready and the DJ won't play the tracks because he or she is doing their job properly ... then the punter comes on the Forum to whinge about how the DJ was so rubbish because they wouldn't play that track that everyone can dance to (surely?).

OOH! sounds like someone has a chip!! :whistle:

TheTramp
29th-October-2006, 10:03 PM
Little bit far! would have to make a long weekend of it...If there are any large events though I would come for a visit!

You offering to pick me up from the airport (he he!):devil:

There's the Aberdeen Beach Ballroom on the weekend of the 18/19 November. Should be a great weekend (as usual). See the CerocScotland website for details (link on the main page of the forum).

And I expect something could be arrange regarding the airport. Arrive on Thursday, and there's dancing in Perth. Stay until Monday night, and there's dancing in Dundee.

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 10:09 PM
There's the Aberdeen Beach Ballroom on the weekend of the 18/19 November. Should be a great weekend (as usual). See the CerocScotland website for details (link on the main page of the forum).

And I expect something could be arrange regarding the airport. Arrive on Thursday, and there's dancing in Perth. Stay until Monday night, and there's dancing in Dundee.

Hmm! maybe a little close to organise anything!! plane tickets, time off work etc..will haev a think. Got to keep some dates free for moving house!!!
Thanks for the info though.

TheTramp
29th-October-2006, 10:11 PM
Hmm! maybe a little close to organise anything!! plane tickets, time off work etc..will haev a think. Got to keep some dates free for moving house!!!
Thanks for the info though.

I'm sure that there will be other occasions! :flower:

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm sure that there will be other occasions! :flower:

well if you put it like that I will have to come and check scotland out some time. :wink:

Feelingpink
29th-October-2006, 10:12 PM
:yeah:

I have taken tracks along for DJs to play, and most of the time have been told 'you can't dance to that!'. Well I can - surely I can't be the only one! Isn't it worth giving it a try? One of my tracks did get played once, but the DJ said there was hardly anyone dancing - I have to admit as soon as it came on I just grabbed the nearest guy and immersed myself, so didn't notice how many others were dancing!I'm not a DJ, but if I was, the chances are that I wouldn't play a track that someone bought along unless it was under very specific conditions, because:
1. Pretty much everyone on the floor will think that I chose that track - so my reputation would be at stake. It's highly unlikely that I'd want to risk my reputation with something as random.
2. We all have different ideas as to what is 'danceable'. What you enjoy might not be to someone else's taste i.e. you could be the only person on the floor for 'your' track.
3. I may not want a random stranger to tell me how to do my job.

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 10:20 PM

It gives people a chance to experiment with different moves, tempo and style it can be really interesting and hey if it really doesn't work at least you've had a giggle trying :grin:

:yeah: going back to my earlier comment (see above). How you going to learn anything new if you just stick to your "safety zone" The DJ could always announce that its a dancer request (not mention names) to save his rep but, come on guys give it a go! I danced to the pink panther theme tune (not the most popular choice) most people sat down, But I danced with this guy and with did some really raunchy moves and walks and stuff (in time to the music) and sooo many people congratulated us at the end saying they wished they'd thought of some of the moves 'cos (apparently it looked fab! 9sorry if it sounds like i'm blowing my own trumpet i'm not very good really!)

Jamie
29th-October-2006, 10:33 PM
:yeah: going back to my earlier comment (see above). How you going to learn anything new if you just stick to your "safety zone" The DJ could always announce that its a dancer request (not mention names) to save his rep but, come on guys give it a go! I danced to the pink panther theme tune (not the most popular choice) most people sat down, But I danced with this guy and with did some really raunchy moves and walks and stuff (in time to the music) and sooo many people congratulated us at the end saying they wished they'd thought of some of the moves 'cos (apparently it looked fab! 9sorry if it sounds like i'm blowing my own trumpet i'm not very good really!)

I love dancing to random pieces of music, I'd dance to pink panther.. infact that's not a bad idea, you could rly play with the sax's long notes etc..

You find people who sit down to pieces of music like that are usually too serious themselves or take their dancing too serious.. How sad for those people! - EDIT - Except those people who actually sit down to watch the dance rather than sit and moan cos pink panthers playing! lol

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 10:36 PM
I love dancing to random pieces of music, I'd dance to pink panther.. infact that's not a bad idea, you could rly play with the sax's long notes etc..

You find people who sit down to pieces of music like that are usually too serious themselves or take their dancing too serious.. How sad for those people! - EDIT - Except those people who actually sit down to watch the dance rather than sit and moan cos pink panthers playing! lol

exactly thankyou..and yes now everytime the pink panther comes on it just seems mega sexy! The sax is our friend! :wink:

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 10:37 PM
people who sit down 'cos there really tired are slightly excused!!!

Feelingpink
29th-October-2006, 10:41 PM

You find people who sit down to pieces of music like that are usually too serious themselves or take their dancing too serious.. How sad for those people! - EDIT - Except those people who actually sit down to watch the dance rather than sit and moan cos pink panthers playing! lolI'm a fan of 'Pink Panther' :awe: but don't want to dance to 'random' pieces of music at a dance evening - it wouldn't be why I pay my money and go to an event (unless it was labelled & advertised as a 'random music' night, in which case I'd most probably not go). As for it being sad that dancers take their dancing seriously ... I disagree. Why is it sad that people should feel passionately about whatever kind of music it is that they enjoy for dancing? Many will go to particular events to hear certain DJs playing ... with particular expectations in mind. Imagine tuning into your favourite pop radio station and finding out that once or twice an hour, it played something more suited to Classic FM with no warning.

TheTramp
29th-October-2006, 10:43 PM
exactly thankyou..and yes now everytime the pink panther comes on it just seems mega sexy! The sax is our friend! :wink:

The pink panther has been played at dancing for at least the last 7 years. I remember one dance with Nina to it at Monster Jive a while back in particular :drool:

It's also been used a lot for blues workshops - it works pretty well for them. And in fact, I think I remember Sheena playing it at the t-dance today in Inverness.

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 10:48 PM
The pink panther has been played at dancing for at least the last 7 years. I remember one dance with Nina to it at Monster Jive a while back in particular :drool:

It's also been used a lot for blues workshops - it works pretty well for them. And in fact, I think I remember Sheena playing it at the t-dance today in Inverness.

well I've not been dancing that long and peeps at my old dance class were definatly scared of it. music isn't scary...it is a cool track!:waycool:

TheTramp
29th-October-2006, 10:48 PM
Many will go to particular events to hear certain DJs playing ... with particular expectations in mind. Imagine tuning into your favourite pop radio station and finding out that once or twice an hour, it played something more suited to Classic FM with no warning.

There's nothing to say that requests won't suit a particular event. Or even just a class night.

Surely it's up to the DJ concerned to decide whether or not to include the track in, if they think it'll work (and most requests I get are for the 'usual' tracks - recently, "I don't feel like dancing", and "Fire" :( ). I wouldn't expect to hear something total undanceable (although, there was this awful version of "I will survive" that I heard recently! :angry: ).

Of course, the DJ has 2 options - play it, and suffer the consequences (which could easily be good as well as bad!), or not play it. Personally, if I think that a track will work, then I'll probably try it. I've only had 1 really dismal failure so far - though it worked when I danced to it earlier on to try it out. There's nothing to say that it has to be just the DJs who can find new tracks to dance to.

Jamie
29th-October-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm a fan of 'Pink Panther' :awe: but don't want to dance to 'random' pieces of music at a dance evening - it wouldn't be why I pay my money and go to an event (unless it was labelled & advertised as a 'random music' night, in which case I'd most probably not go). As for it being sad that dancers take their dancing seriously ... I disagree. Why is it sad that people should feel passionately about whatever kind of music it is that they enjoy for dancing? Many will go to particular events to hear certain DJs playing ... with particular expectations in mind. Imagine tuning into your favourite pop radio station and finding out that once or twice an hour, it played something more suited to Classic FM with no warning.

I don't mean every 2 minutes crazy frog gets played or whatever, but if I went to a big venue and all of a sudden on came bob the builder or something I couldn't help but get up and start dancing to it and probably having a really fun dance to it!

By the way, the comment about serious dancers, is about people who will sit and moan because a "fun" track got played, I'd call these people too serious, you've got have a little fun about your dancing haven't you? Or at least learn to laugh at yourself. Also, while we're on it, I've seen dancers walk off in a huff because they've done a move wrong or whatever, I'd call those people "too serious"..

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 10:56 PM
I feel this may be a topic that people may never decide to agree on. You will always get the people who want the "safe music" and people who want something a bit more challenging. I still say "whats wrong with being adventurous" but there probably are venues where safe is best!! esp if dancing somewhere really packed where you can't move....don't think DJ's should just dismiss a request without checking it our first, it just seems a little rude!! after all the waldorff salad was made on the request of a customer.

Feelingpink
29th-October-2006, 10:58 PM
There's nothing to say that requests won't suit a particular event. Or even just a class night.

Surely it's up to the DJ concerned to decide whether or not to include the track in, if they think it'll work (and most requests I get are for the 'usual' tracks - recently, "I don't feel like dancing", and "Fire" :( ). I wouldn't expect to hear something total undanceable (although, there was this awful version of "I will survive" that I heard recently! :angry: ).

Of course, the DJ has 2 options - play it, and suffer the consequences (which could easily be good as well as bad!), or not play it. Personally, if I think that a track will work, then I'll probably try it. I've only had 1 really dismal failure so far - though it worked when I danced to it earlier on to try it out. There's nothing to say that it has to be just the DJs who can find new tracks to dance to.Yes, I agree that the DJ can be open to requests. If you know a track or are given one early enough to try dancing to it & think it will work - that's great. What I seemed to pick up from some of the above posts (although could well be wrong) was the insistence that DJs should play any request that the requester considered danceable. It was this that I was objecting to.

Feelingpink
29th-October-2006, 11:06 PM
I don't mean every 2 minutes crazy frog gets played or whatever, but if I went to a big venue and all of a sudden on came bob the builder or something I couldn't help but get up and start dancing to it and probably having a really fun dance to it!

By the way, the comment about serious dancers, is about people who will sit and moan because a "fun" track got played, I'd call these people too serious, you've got have a little fun about your dancing haven't you? Or at least learn to laugh at yourself. Also, while we're on it, I've seen dancers walk off in a huff because they've done a move wrong or whatever, I'd call those people "too serious"..Hmmm. Borrowing the devil's advocate mantle for a moment, are you trying to insist that all dancers should behave as you do? Why shouldn't people take their dancing seriously? Some drive for many hours to get to venues with good dancers and a good DJ, spending most of their weekends practising, attending workshops & learning. Are you saying that this is wrong?

peppercorn
29th-October-2006, 11:12 PM
Hmmm. Borrowing the devil's advocate mantle for a moment, are you trying to insist that all dancers should behave as you do? Why shouldn't people take their dancing seriously? Some drive for many hours to get to venues with good dancers and a good DJ, spending most of their weekends practising, attending workshops & learning. Are you saying that this is wrong?

(Stealing the devils advocate mantle back) I think its fine if people do workshops, competitions, drive long distances etc...for good dancing I myself do the same thing (minus the competitions at the mo) I think what jamie is trying to get across is that although we all like to improve and take dancing seriously (compared to the average joe) you have to enjoy it and be able to have a little fun. I was at Britrock this year in brighton and nearly all the people that won the competiotions didn't just do the moves flawlessly but they seemed to actually enjoy what they were doing and play around with it. If it stops being fun then really what is the point??? why do something if you cant relax, let go and have fun otherwise isn't it too much like work???

Jamie
29th-October-2006, 11:15 PM
Hmmm. Borrowing the devil's advocate mantle for a moment, are you trying to insist that all dancers should behave as you do? Why shouldn't people take their dancing seriously? Some drive for many hours to get to venues with good dancers and a good DJ, spending most of their weekends practising, attending workshops & learning. Are you saying that this is wrong?

No, not at all, it's a good job all dancers don't behave as I do! Just in my opinion if you can't laugh at yourself for making a mistake or get up to a silly song just for the laugh, then I think you take it too seriously, but if that's what you enjoy, who am I to judge, I just let people get on with whatever they want, just as I want people to let me get on with what I want.

Genie
30th-October-2006, 12:20 AM
(Genie: if they play on your CD player at home, then they'll work on the venue equipment. Just burn it off your computer. Feel free to bring me one in this Thursday - but heed the Crazy Frog warning above!)

Don't worry, Crazy Frog is not a track I own... or ever will ;-) I'll see what the music is like this Thursday. No point bringing a load of tracks along if you play them normally anyway :) It's why I wouldn't bother giving a CD of tracks to Trampy. He already has most of them and plays them regularly on Tuesdays.

As for DJs not thinking a track is dance-able, that is ok IF the DJ can dance. If a DJ understands Ceroc he is more able to judge when a track is Cerocable. What I object to is the playing of 'normal-clubbing-dance-music' non-stop because they play that to non-Ceroc crowds.

You find people who sit down to pieces of music like that are usually too serious themselves or take their dancing too serious.. How sad for those people! -

I am afraid I don't agree. There are indeed some people who take dancing very seriously, but there are also a lot of people who don't have the confidence to dance to 'silly' tracks. Not everyone is at easy with making a complete prat of themselves in public. Not on purpose, anyway :D

Adrian (DJ)
1st-November-2006, 06:50 AM
I'm under pressure to produce the goods on Thursday, better hit up i-Tunes!

Gadget
1st-November-2006, 02:14 PM
Personally, I really like Curtain's choice in music. From my experiance it tends to more 'up to date' than Tramp or Adrian's sets*.

*Everyone plays a fairly eclectic mix: any bias is perhaps one or two tracks of a night.

The night in question is one of the busiest in Scotland if I'm not mistaken. I know the DJ is only part of the equation to make a sucessfull night, but if this part is seriously wrong, it will affect the numbers - I don't see any evidence of that.

I think that some of the perceived "problem" comes from people improving: They cannot think/listen beyond the realtivly easy 'thump thump' beat they started dancing to. So anything that has a 'thump thump' beat gets automatically labled and discarded as "dancable but with no musicality". And that expression and musicality can only be added into blues style dancing.
Another cause may be peer pressure - not really deciding your opinion of a track by dancing to it or listening to it, but by what someone else says about it.

In my opinion any track can be danced to (and have fun dancing to it)... some are more challenging, and you have to have a partner that can read the music (or you) in a similar way, but nothing insurmountable.

jivecat
1st-November-2006, 03:45 PM
Just in my opinion if you can't laugh at yourself for making a mistake or get up to a silly song just for the laugh, then I think you take it too seriously, but if that's what you enjoy, who am I to judge, I just let people get on with whatever they want, just as I want people to let me get on with what I want.

I find that I don't really enjoy dancing unless I feel I am doing it reasonably well. It's not that I agonise over a mistake or can't laugh about them but generally the most pleasure in dancing comes from doing it as smoothly & flawlessly as possible. So that's what I would be aiming for.
Ditto, dancing to a silly song just for a laugh. I could do it if it was what was expected of me but I wouldn't be getting any enjoyment out of it and it just wouldn't feel nice. I'd rather be sitting down having a nice chat until the DJ played something decent.

Trousers
1st-November-2006, 04:09 PM
Ditto, dancing to a silly song just for a laugh. I could do it if it was what was expected of me but I wouldn't be getting any enjoyment out of it and it just wouldn't feel nice. I'd rather be sitting down having a nice chat until the DJ played something decent.

You've had a spate of 'Last Christmas I gave you my heart!'
at leicester then recently

:eek:

again. . . . .

jivecat
1st-November-2006, 04:19 PM

again. . . . .

Dunno, I haven't been back since! So that's, oooh, let me see, at least £49 of mine that hasn't been donated to Phil Robert's bank account. Have you been? Is he still playing it? I suppose now we're into November the DJ can argue it's open season for it.:( :rolleyes:

Jamie
1st-November-2006, 04:23 PM
I find that I don't really enjoy dancing unless I feel I am doing it reasonably well. It's not that I agonise over a mistake or can't laugh about them but generally the most pleasure in dancing comes from doing it as smoothly & flawlessly as possible. So that's what I would be aiming for.

I must admit, I really dislike dancing to 80's cheese songs, I just hate that genre of music.. If however I do get dragged up for a cheese song, I'll probably do the hand actions to them aswell while dancing to entertain myself lol.

I can cope with silly songs, silly songs are fun, but cheese really annoys me lol, specially when cheese actually TRYS to be real music.. lol

Trousers
1st-November-2006, 05:19 PM
Dunno, I haven't been back since! So that's, oooh, let me see, at least £49 of mine that hasn't been donated to Phil Robert's bank account. Have you been? Is he still playing it? I suppose now we're into November the DJ can argue it's open season for it.:( :rolleyes:

Nah! I hate to say it JC but I've migrated back down to my dance homeland. I get to do Woking and Guildford again after about 4 years in the Midlands.
Fleet, Ashtons, Jango, Hipsters, Surbiton ahhhh the good life!

There are a few regrets if you like - Don't get to dance with you which is always good nor to dance at Northampton (some of my all time faves dance there) and no that's it then. I miss you and Northampton Saints but I doubt it misses me hehehe.

But no Xmas tunes in the middle of summer!

mrs_warwick
1st-November-2006, 06:40 PM

again. . . . .

He hasn't played it since July; I think after 3 weeks in a row when it was the last song, there were enough complaints that it finally filtered through.

TheTramp
1st-November-2006, 07:13 PM
He hasn't played it since July; I think after 3 weeks in a row when it was the last song, there were enough complaints that it finally filtered through.

Is he now playing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"?? :rolleyes:

jivecat
1st-November-2006, 08:23 PM

Woo Hoo! So storming onto the stage at the end of the night and tearing him off a strip was all worthwhile. Mind you, I felt quite bad about it at the time.:blush:

Is he now playing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"??
Oi, I quite like that one. Not sure I could dance to it, mind. Bet you anything he still plays Zoot Suit Riot every week though. Do keep us informed, Mrs W!

TheTramp
1st-November-2006, 08:29 PM
Oi, I quite like that one. Not sure I could dance to it, mind. Bet you anything he still plays Zoot Suit Riot every week though. Do keep us informed, Mrs W!

Ah. You wouldn't love it if the DJ played it at the end of all of hits sets though.

Took us a while, but we cured him of that! :whistle:

Genie
2nd-November-2006, 04:18 AM
I think that some of the perceived "problem" comes from people improving: They cannot think/listen beyond the realtivly easy 'thump thump' beat they started dancing to. So anything that has a 'thump thump' beat gets automatically labled and discarded as "dancable but with no musicality". And that expression and musicality can only be added into blues style dancing.
Another cause may be peer pressure - not really deciding your opinion of a track by dancing to it or listening to it, but by what someone else says about it.

In my opinion any track can be danced to (and have fun dancing to it)... some are more challenging, and you have to have a partner that can read the music (or you) in a similar way, but nothing insurmountable.

That's obvious for anyone who has ever seen you at a dance. You don't sit down :wink:

Anyway, please don't get me wrong, I am not saying 'all thump-thump' music is not-danceable. I am saying that non-stop thump-thump music is not my idea of an evening. But as has been proven, it is some people's ideal. I dance to tracks with the thump-thump beat which are very good tracks (with musicality to be found in them) so don't think I won't dance to any of them. I just don't like evenings that sound like your local chav club *sorry* I can't dance to that stuff all night :)

sidney
2nd-November-2006, 11:02 AM
Oi, I quite like that one. Not sure I could dance to it, mind. Bet you anything he still plays Zoot Suit Riot every week though. Do keep us informed, Mrs W![/QUOTE]

I am told he still plays that one but there again he plays the same tracks ever week in the same order so you know when to get a drink or go to the toilets, and I bet he is playing the xmas song again:(