Anyone entering????

What's happening????

Cruella
27th-October-2006, 01:09 PM
Might pop up to it, if there's nothing else on. :rolleyes:

robd
27th-October-2006, 01:20 PM
Might pop up ... if there's nothing on.

Shouldn't you leave that kind of thing to your old man?

TheTramp
27th-October-2006, 01:22 PM
Shouldn't you leave that kind of thing to your old man?

Oooh. A thread about a competition going upstairs. Don't they usually end up going outside?? :whistle:

BeccaB
27th-October-2006, 09:18 PM
Hey this ones my first competition, :eek: can anyone offer any advice!?

Achaeco
27th-October-2006, 09:31 PM
Whos' going????

Anyone entering????

What's happening????

Are you going???? Are you selling shoe's???????

Jivingdan
27th-October-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm entering. I have a fab new partner. This will be my second comp. I think Patrick is entering and Ialso know Karl Hudds is entering too. So there will be someone to compete against:clap:

angelique
28th-October-2006, 12:46 AM
I live in the Midlands and know nothing about this? :blush:
When? Where? blah blah blah

Blueshoes
28th-October-2006, 02:29 AM
Will be competing in the take a chance, intermediates and the old gits.

I'd have entered the rest as well but couldn't afford it...

Patrick
28th-October-2006, 03:00 AM

Sat 4 Nov 10.30am till midnight I think. Kings Hall, Stoke On Trent. It's the first time this comp has run, and there's lots of other events on that weekend, so not very high profile.

http://www.cerocmidlands.co.uk/midlandschamps.htm

I'm entering. I have a fab new partner. This will be my second comp. I think Patrick is entering and Ialso know Karl Hudds is entering too. So there will be someone to compete against:clap:

And I was hoping I was the only one! :wink: I believe Blueshoes will be there too.

Hey this ones my first competition, :eek: can anyone offer any advice!?

There's lots of competition threads on here with handy hints, eg:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9988

If you want to have fun, pretend it's a freestyle, but your mum is watching you for the first time!
If you want to win, work very hard for a long time...

To find out what the judges are looking for, go to:
http://www.jivelive.com/britrock/ and click on 'Judging'

Which category are you entering?

Patrick :flower:

Spoon
28th-October-2006, 12:49 PM
Lets hope there's fair judging at this new competition.

fletch
28th-October-2006, 12:56 PM

Who are the judges?

Whats the prizes?

Who is DJing?

I can't find this info or is it just me :blush:

WittyBird
28th-October-2006, 01:08 PM
I can't find this info or is it just me :blush:

It's not just you at all babes, I'm supposed to be going but can't find the info either.:mad:

fletch
29th-October-2006, 02:31 AM
more questions,:rolleyes: apparently, contestants are having difficulty in locating the rule regarding aerials, one foot of the ground or two?:confused:

Dose anyone know and can post as its difficult for them to practice :(

Anita
29th-October-2006, 08:58 AM
more questions,:rolleyes: apparently, contestants are having difficulty in locating the rule regarding aerials, one foot of the ground or two?:confused:

I was assuming that we have to refer to the Hammersmith champs rules. I think that's what it said on the category descriptions...... or maybe the application form

David and I are going, so are a couple more from Windsor.

fletch
29th-October-2006, 09:24 AM
I was assuming that we have to refer to the Hammersmith champs rules. I think that's what it said on the category descriptions...... or maybe the application form

David and I are going, so are a couple more from Windsor.

So if you didn't compete at Hammersmith and haven't go internet and don't have internet access, not that easy to get the information :(

PS good luck :flower:

Lucy Locket
29th-October-2006, 01:01 PM

4th November, Kings Hall, Stoke-on-Trent. I heard yesterday that it's a very nice venue, but having never been can't comment personally.

Yes, I will be there, with my dancewear. :wink:

It's the first one. Have to say it hasn't been mentioned in my local dance area. I have mailed Mike and asked him to look at this thread, so hopefully he will post all the details for you.

As for prizes I know there will be Trophies, no idea who's judging though.

Has that helped :innocent: :whistle:

Anita
29th-October-2006, 09:00 PM
So if you didn't compete at Hammersmith and haven't go internet and don't have internet access, not that easy to get the information :(

PS good luck :flower:

Thank you :) I've never danced in the West Midlands looking forward to it.

Yes - to define a "major" airstep you need to refer back to the main champs web site. I hadn't thought about people without internet access :blush: I rely on it so much now. It looks like an airstep is considered to be the same as in Brighton & WSM. Though I don't want to offer my opinion as "factual", in case I'm wrong and someone gets disqualified :( . Hopefully someone official will post something.

Gus
29th-October-2006, 09:06 PM
Who are the judges?Please desist from such odious and synde insinuations. For such an illustrious event I'm sure that the judges will be picked from the hordes of Midlands CTA who have competed at the highest level in the UK and beyond! That will of course include .... urrmrm, and urrr and maybe .... :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

(OK ... if you include Phil Roberts's empire [Ceroc Central] at least there are 3 or 4 candidates .... but will they be there?)

Mike Allsopp
29th-October-2006, 09:20 PM
Please desist from such odious and synde insinuations. For such an illustrious event I'm sure that the judges will be picked from the hordes of Midlands CTA who have competed at the highest level in the UK and beyond! That will of course include .... urrmrm, and urrr and maybe .... :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

(OK ... if you include Phil Roberts's empire [Ceroc Central] at least there are 3 or 4 candidates .... but will they be there?)

Why bother with them when we have Phil himself, Humphrey, Howard and Nicola etc.....is that enough for you Gus or don't even they come up to your mega high standards??

David Bailey
29th-October-2006, 09:25 PM
Why bother with them when we have Phil himself, Humphrey, Howard and Nicola etc.....is that enough for you Gus or don't even they come up to your mega high standards??
:yeah:
Blimey, Gus, stop being such a MOG. That's my job.

Although, obviously, all competitions are indeed evil.

Lucy Locket
29th-October-2006, 09:30 PM
NOT 2 of you :rofl: Have you been dishing out lessons DJ :whistle:

Gus
29th-October-2006, 09:39 PM
Why bother with them when we have Phil himself, Humphrey, Howard and Nicola etc.....is that enough for you Gus or don't even they come up to your mega high standards??Hmmm ... AT LAST ... some news ... BUT;

no debate re H :worthy: and I'm a total fan of Phil as businessman and teacher, but how many competitions of note have the rest won or even done well in? AND don't try to mention a certain small Blues competetion that had about 6 couples in :whistle: If its more of a fun competition, fine (though the price would be a bit steep). If, however, you are expecting serious competitors into the open, shouldn't you have judges that have the neccesary experience and respect? Where are the likes of Emma, Michella, Wenger, Simon R etc etc.?

Gus
29th-October-2006, 09:40 PM
:yeah:
Blimey, Gus, stop being such a MOG. That's my job.I was just passing time till you showed up :wink:

David Bailey
29th-October-2006, 09:59 PM
If, however, you are expecting serious competitors into the open, shouldn't you have judges that have the neccesary experience and respect? Where are the likes of Emma, Michella, Wenger, Simon R etc etc.?
Well, until there's a proper certificated judging programme, who's to, err, judge*?

Is there actually any evidence that the eminence of judges makes the judging any less controversial or effective? Compared to all the other problems of judging an MJ competition, anyway?

Maybe there should be a judging competition :rofl:

* I was going for a clever play on words here like "Quis judico ipsos judico", but that would be shallow.

Lucy Locket
29th-October-2006, 10:01 PM

They heard about your cold babe:wink:

Hope you're feeling better :hug: :hug:

Gus
29th-October-2006, 10:42 PM
Well, until there's a proper certificated judging programme, who's to, err, judge*?
Fair point. How about following the lead form most other sports and dance competitions where judges are (shock, horror, probe) actualy trained.

Mike Allsopp
29th-October-2006, 10:58 PM

Hi Angelique (et al)

I'm sorry if you've missed out on this - we've used every resource available inc UK-Jive, Ceroc UK site, The Forum, 5000 leaflets delivered to all the Franchisees, Database membership e-mails etc etc over the last eight months so I'm sorry that the info has not got thru to you somehow!

The Venue is the Kings Hall, Stoke-on-Trent 10.30am doors open with a 12 midnight finish. It's a fab venue, pretty much unrivalled in its splendour with a very large car park directly opposite. Directions to the venue with map on www.cerocmidlands.co.uk. You will also find an application form on the site under the events page.

The first competition category, the 'Lucky Dip' starts at 11.30am (if you're coming along for the day Forumites are invited to enter this competition free of charge - just mark the form accordingly)

It's a full day of freestyle and competition with the usual Clothing and Footwear stalls (supplied by Lucy Lockett) plus Solent Studios running around all day photographing everything and anyone that moves. There is a fully licensed bar and 'fast food servery available in the afternoon - evening.

It's our first bash at this - so we'd really appreciate your support, particularly in the Showcase and Aerials categories.

We've got folks from all over the country entering - it'd be nice for some of the Trophies to stay in the Midlands!!

Any more info required, just ask :)

Mike Allsopp
29th-October-2006, 11:01 PM
Will be competing in the take a chance, intermediates and the old gits.

I'd have entered the rest as well but couldn't afford it...

Ok, you've sweet talked me into one free category...it'll be??

Mike Allsopp
29th-October-2006, 11:13 PM

We'll make it consistent, fair and as far as I'm concerned, sensible. We had a 'Showcase' entrant concerned that their routine overrun the time by 4 secs.....we ain't gonna be quite that tough.

If I was asked where the biggest danger of a disqualification was I'd say in the Ceroc 'X' category.

As Anita has pointed out we're directing entrants to the UK 'Champs' rules for guidance. These can be found on...... http://www.cerocchamps.com/categories.htm#intermediate

Hope that helps

Mike Allsopp
29th-October-2006, 11:19 PM

Fletch, not sure what you mean, they'll have both feet off the ground in our aerials :confused:

We've been directing folks to the UK 'Champs' site for the rules........ http://www.cerocchamps.com/categories.htm#intermediate

Mike Allsopp
30th-October-2006, 01:43 AM
Hmmm ... AT LAST ... some news ... BUT;

no debate re H :worthy: and I'm a total fan of Phil as businessman and teacher, but how many competitions of note have the rest won or even done well in? AND don't try to mention a certain small Blues competetion that had about 6 couples in :whistle: If its more of a fun competition, fine (though the price would be a bit steep). If, however, you are expecting serious competitors into the open, shouldn't you have judges that have the neccesary experience and respect? Where are the likes of Emma, Michella, Wenger, Simon R etc etc.?

Have you noticed that the best footballers don't turn out to be the best managers and, likewise, the best teachers/dancers in the world don't necessarily make the best Judges - just watch tv on Saturday evening!

Perhaps we could be congratulated for bringing in some of the dance worlds newest stars, e.g. Maja Hoddell who is currently being proclaimed in London as something of a 'find' with a lifetime of dance experience - she'll be Judging. Now tell me that neither Debbie Attwood or Marie Nolan (CTA Teacher Trainer for Ceroc HQ) should be part of the team if you can.....

All in all, I think the line-up has the necessary credibility.

I think if you were to spend the time supporting this event rather than dismissing it you'd probably find it might not be the low-key, insignificant disaster you've assumed it's going to be.

I seem to remember that you had difficulties not too long back trying to encourage people to your venture, unfortunately resulting in its demise - I believe support is needed for people prepared to put their neck on the line, not poorly considered jibes - don't you think?

WittyBird
30th-October-2006, 02:04 AM
I was talking to someone this week who shall remain anonymous, buts lets just say this person (who competes and is a well known and respected dancer)
Knew nothing of this competition. This person even said that the person organising this event didn't know who they were :confused: and completely snubbed them when they went to speak to them??? :what:

Doesn't sound like an event well organised to me.

TheTramp
30th-October-2006, 02:18 AM

I'd never heard of the first Scottish Ceroc champs until after it had happened, and I'd joined the forum, and moved to Scotland....

There were people in Dundee who attend the Monday class regularly, and who didn't know about the last Sunday t-dance here, despite in being announced at the end of the class for several weeks previous, put on the website, put on the forum, and even leaflets being distributed to all the tables at the venue every week with details of the forthcoming events across all of Scotland (they fold up the leaflets to use as fans).

Sometimes it's hard to get things across to people who don't want to listen!

(Can't say whether said person falls into that category of course, just a general comment. And also can't comment on the snubbed thing at all though!)

Mike Allsopp
30th-October-2006, 02:53 AM
I was talking to someone this week who shall remain anonymous, buts lets just say this person (who competes and is a well known and respected dancer)
Knew nothing of this competition. This person even said that the person organising this event didn't know who they were :confused: and completely snubbed them when they went to speak to them??? :what:

I think Tramp's comment says it all - sometimes folks just do not pay attention to announcements or look at the leaflet displays at venues, it is more difficult than you know - as is organising an event like this, but, of course, I guess you never have.

I cannot recognise everyone and I think you know me better than to snub anyone...particularly strangers!

Patrick
30th-October-2006, 05:39 AM
I think Tramp's comment says it all - sometimes folks just do not pay attention to announcements or look at the leaflet displays at venues, it is more difficult than you know - as is organising an event like this, but, of course, I guess you never have.

Hi Mike

I first heard about this competition months ago by word of mouth from people at the WSM Leroc UK Champs. I thought it was just another competition on the circuit, so I'm very bemused by all the fuss!

All the regular competitors I've spoken to know about the event, but have decided not to enter. Too new, too far, too many, it won't be very good, washing my hair, etc. To the person who said it won't be very good, I said, "Well I'm not very good either, so it should suit me fine then!"

The other publicity didn't reach me though. I've never saw the leaflets at any Ceroc venue, and I've been to quite a few, nor has it been announced anywhere I attended. At Breeze I found a few leaflets by chance in an odd corner.

It would help if there were a link to the comp from the front page of www.cerocmidlands.com, and a bit more info when you get there. I just checked, and there is now a link from www.ceroc.com, I don't think there was before. I also noticed (Franck!) that I couldn't find any info about the Scottish Champs on www.cerocscotland.com, I had to search for old posts on the forum to get past results. It's not even obvious how to find the Hammersmith Ceroc Champs from www.ceroc.com! (I rarely visit that site, I get bored clicking through the first few links, sooo slooowww...) :wink:

For an example of how to blow your own trumpet, see http://www.leroc2000.co.uk/
The comp info is linked right from the front page.

I'm entering 2 categories and I'm broke now, can I have a freebie as well please Mike? :D I've been taught a few airsteps, never had chance to practice them... And I'd be up to freestyle a showcase to our favourite track, but I think I'd have to keep that as a surprise for my partner who hasn't done a competition before... "Oh that one babes, yeah, it's a special category for those competing for the first time..." :D

I saw some 'behind the scenes' activity at a workshop/freestyle day this weekend, and appreciated for the first time that the organosersi really have to put in a lot of hard work to get these events off the ground. :respect: I find it stressful enough just to find my way there and do the stuff.

Best wishes

PS The Scottish Champs was the friendliest, best organised event I ever attended, and it ran to time to the minute all day. I was amazed! Scot, Franck and co were delightful hosts.

So, no pressure then Mike... :wink:

Patrick
30th-October-2006, 07:10 AM
Hi Mike
It would help if there were a link to the comp from the front page of www.cerocmidlands.com, and a bit more info when you get there. I just checked, and there is now a link from www.ceroc.com, I don't think there was before.

Oops, it should of course be http://www.cerocmidlands.co.uk. Now I can't get onto www.ceroc.com at all!

fletch
30th-October-2006, 09:37 AM
Fletch, not sure what you mean, they'll have both feet off the ground in our aerials :confused:

Ok got my wording slightly wrong again :rolleyes: what are the rules around feet on the floor :confused:

Not everyone has internet access, how are you getting the rules to them :confused:

The first competition category, the 'Lucky Dip' starts at 11.30am (if you're coming along for the day Forumites are invited to enter this competition free of charge - just mark the form accordingly)

Mike......there are people that have paid for this, and have now heard via word of mouth that its free, and have commented regarding your intentions for refunding the money :confused: :rolleyes:

It is my understaning that people that have booked, have had no conformation that you have recived the booking and are now travelling not knowing for sure that they are booked on :confused:

Its just a bit of comunication, I know you have a freind that has logged on the forum and posted :nice: perhaps they can just update some of the treads when information is needed.:rolleyes:

Gus
30th-October-2006, 10:18 AM
I think if you were to spend the time supporting this event rather than dismissing it you'd probably find it might not be the low-key, insignificant disaster you've assumed it's going to be. Not dismissed it, just questioned the standard of judges as, until your posting, there had been NO information about them. I don't see any reason to support it as I don't see the need for another competition of this ilk ... personal view.

I seem to remember that you had difficulties not too long back trying to encourage people to your venture, unfortunately resulting in its demise - I believe support is needed for people prepared to put their neck on the line, not poorly considered jibes - don't you think?Urrrmmm ... the only difficulties I had were in the early days when I opened Ceroc Congleton and Ceroc Stoke. As a rash youth I closed down Congleton without giving it a real go. Ceroc Stoke I closed down when it fell to similar numbers as you are getting now :rolleyes: All the other clubs I either sold on or closed when I had to move area ... my last venture (now being ably run by Lou) is CoolCatz which runs the largest independant freestyles in the N West. I don't think you can really accuse me of not putting my neck on the line.:flower: :flower:

Lucy Locket
30th-October-2006, 10:30 AM
It has been interesting reading how few people knew about these champs & from what Trampy says other events that have/are happening, it's great that the forum brings them to light.

I would have expected all 'major' ceroc events to be announced at all ceroc venues, but obviously not.:whistle:

I think the Midlands Champs fills the gap, we now have them all over the country. By the way how many are there & when?? I see another thread to be started:devil:

From the little I know there's a helluva lot to organise, rather you than me Mike :worthy: I don't think any of us have a clue as to how much time & effort goes into planning these events,:respect: if we did maybe the comments would be more favourable:whistle: We are very quick at putting people down, especially when someone/something fails, even more so when they are in the limelight & very slow (if at all) at praising.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

fletch
30th-October-2006, 10:50 AM
I don't think any of us have a clue as to how much time & effort goes into planning these events,

We are very quick at putting people down,
:

I think this comment is far to sweeping,:confused: I think there a lots of people on this forum that know exactly how much time and effort goes into running events like this. :rolleyes:

And maybe is not 'to quick' a put down, just brave enough :whistle:

:flower:

David Bailey
30th-October-2006, 11:52 AM
From the little I know there's a helluva lot to organise, rather you than me Mike :worthy: I don't think any of us have a clue as to how much time & effort goes into planning these events,:respect: if we did maybe the comments would be more favourable:whistle: We are very quick at putting people down, especially when someone/something fails, even more so when they are in the limelight & very slow (if at all) at praising.
I agree - minus the smilies, of course.

New enterprises - yes, even competitions - are to be applauded, they show that people are trying different ways to improve the MJ scene.

It's fine to criticize afterwards - but sniping beforehand is a bit too whingey even for my tastes. Mike's free to use whatever promotional and marketing techniques he wants; if he wants to offer free entry to all men called David, then why shouldn't he? :innocent:

So, I hope it goes well for the First Midlands Competition.

Don't worry, Mike, a little consistency (or even honesty, apparently) is too much to expect from the Official Devil's Hypo... Hupo ... bugger, what was that word again?
Hippogryph? Hippopotamus?

Gus
30th-October-2006, 12:07 PM
It's fine to criticize afterwards - but sniping beforehand is a bit too whingey even for my tastes.Not sure if its sniping, more picking on some details, but I agree that one should judge these events after they've been delivered. Asnyou are now the Official Undercover Reviewer for the Forum I look forward to your covert report on the Championships. You ARE going I hope?

David Bailey
30th-October-2006, 12:13 PM
Not sure if its sniping, more picking on some details, but I agree that one should judge these events after they've been delivered. Asnyou are now the Official Undercover Reviewer for the Forum I look forward to your covert report on the Championships. You ARE going I hope?
Just try to keep me away, I can't wait.

Will there be cakes? And wristbands? :yum:

littlewiggle
30th-October-2006, 01:47 PM
(if you're coming along for the day Forumites are invited to enter this competition free of charge - just mark the form accordingly)

What about the Forumites who have already paid Mike?!!

Mike Allsopp
30th-October-2006, 02:23 PM
(if you're coming along for the day Forumites are invited to enter this competition free of charge - just mark the form accordingly)

Only decided to hand out free 'Lucky Dip' places over the weekend, so not so sure where the questions have arisen?

The idea is just to get the 'otherwise spectators' involved.....so if you, and any other Forumites who have already booked, PM me I'll sort out refunding them what they've already paid.

This is just a Forum promo offer.

fletch
30th-October-2006, 02:35 PM
Just try to keep me away, I can't wait.

Will there be cakes? And wristbands? :yum:

there will be cakes if your stopping in Penkridge, or will you be stopping even closer to Stoke :innocent:

Having a blond moment where does it say forumites can enter free :confused: and is that all catergories :confused:

fletch
30th-October-2006, 02:39 PM
Only decided to hand out free 'Lucky Dip' places over the weekend, so not so sure where the questions have arisen?

The idea is just to get the 'otherwise spectators' involved.....so if you, and any other Forumites who have already booked, PM me I'll sort out refunding them what they've already paid.

OK got it now :blush:

fletch
30th-October-2006, 02:40 PM
(OK, DavidJames, it was you that squealed, wasn't it?)

that's when the wrist bands were shackeled to tight :wink: :D

Mike Allsopp
30th-October-2006, 02:48 PM
Well, I've tried to answer everything - I'm off to lie down with a cuppa!!

I really hope that those of you that come along enter into the spirit of what we're trying to do on Saturday - on paper it has the potential to be very good, or even great??

Ladies, the chance to dance with 'H' should be enough!

For those that don't know me I'll be the stressed one with the progressively greying/whitening hair and bags under my eyes. If you want to say hi I'll be lying on the carpark at around 12.15am - feel free to kick or pat whichever you feel is appropriate!

Have a good time - Earl Grey calling!

fletch
30th-October-2006, 03:00 PM
Ho just while I remember :rolleyes:

For those of you that know OXO'S (D.J) its his birthday on Sunday, no bumps he has just had an operation,:na: we will be celebrating at the Bromsgrove 'T' dance, so for the people that are attending the 'Midlands Champs' its not that far away, especially if your stopping over in the midlands on the Saturday evening.:cheers:

please see

www.corporatedancecompany.com

David James there will even be cake there.:drool:

El Salsero Gringo
30th-October-2006, 03:12 PM
we will be celebrating at the Bromsgrove 'T' danceIs that the one in Lickey End :rofl::rofl::rofl:

David Bailey
30th-October-2006, 03:15 PM
Bet you won't be making one of those again in a hurry after all this grief :rofl:

David Bailey
30th-October-2006, 03:16 PM
there will be cakes if your stopping in Penkridge, or will you be stopping even closer to Stoke :innocent:
Yeah, I'll be real close to both those places. Wherever they are.

(OK, DavidJames, it was you that squealed, wasn't it?)
I preferred to think of it as a manly cry.

El Salsero Gringo
30th-October-2006, 03:21 PM
I preferred to think of it as a manly cry.No, no, from behind all that latex it was definitely a squeal.

fletch
30th-October-2006, 04:40 PM
Is that the one in Lickey End :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes, and your point is :confused:

:na:

its on Xmas eve afternoon and i'v booked tickets to the panto £88 :tears:

I bet there not much else on in the Midlands that afternoon :sick:

Patrick
30th-October-2006, 04:56 PM
Ho just while I remember :rolleyes:

For those of you that know OXO'S (D.J) its his birthday on Sunday, no bumps he has just had an operation,:na: we will be celebrating at the Bromsgrove 'T' dance, so for the people that are attending the 'Midlands Champs' its not that far away, especially if your stopping over in the midlands on the Saturday evening.:cheers:

please see

www.corporatedancecompany.com

David James there will even be cake there.:drool:
I'd forgotten the T was this weekend, thought I'd just missed it! :confused: :clap:

It will make a lovely chill out day after the 'excitement' of the comp.:what: :confused: :wink:

I do hope Witty will come to the Champs. Not that I want to be thrashed even more, but it would be nice to have some more friendly faces around. I hope you are coming to cheer us on!

its on Xmas eve afternoon and i'v booked tickets to the panto £88 :tears:

I bet there not much else on in the Midlands that afternoon :sick:

And I just told Steve I would prob come to the Xmas eve T! :sad: It just won't be the same without you Fletch...:tears: :wink:

fletch
30th-October-2006, 05:08 PM
I do hope Witty will come to the Champs. it would be nice to have some more friendly faces. I hope you are coming to cheer us on!

And I just told Steve I would prob come to the Xmas eve T! :sad: It just won't be the same without you Fletch...:tears: :wink:

Don't :tears: :tears: :tears: I carn't belive i'm going to the panto when I could be dancing,:( and I have heard he has just got an extra hour extention, allegedly :sad:

Witty ......freindly face :rofl: I have heard it all now :rofl:

I am in the Midlands on Saturday,:what: and mom is sitting, :clap: I haven't made my mind up where I will be,:confused: perhaps someone will make my mind up for me :innocent:

Mike Allsopp
30th-October-2006, 06:08 PM
John Baker and Ian Morgan are your evening DJ's

WittyBird
30th-October-2006, 06:30 PM
Witty ......freindly face :rofl: I have heard it all now :rofl:

Watch what you say pal :rofl:

David Bailey
30th-October-2006, 09:09 PM
John Baker and Ian Morgan are your evening DJ's

Look, stop providing sensible and constructive information, OK? It's getting on my wick, as Len Goodman would say :na:

(P.S. did you know, the MJDA forum doesn't allow :na: smilies? Can't imagine why...)

Patrick
31st-October-2006, 03:36 AM
I am in the Midlands on Saturday,:what: and mom is sitting, :clap: I haven't made my mind up where I will be,:confused: perhaps someone will make my mind up for me :innocent:

Come to the Midlands Champs, and cheer us all on of course! :clap: :clap:

(And in case of emergencies, you could be my backup partner. Or Witty's!) :D

Gus
31st-October-2006, 12:14 PM
OK ... back on thread (someone has to :whistle: ) ... back to the usual questions ...

SO .... anyone of note entering the Open competition? Could be the easiest 'title' someone adds to thier dance CV this year (no Phil, Simon R, Will, Wongster, Tramp etc). Any of the mighty Scots coming down?

One thought ... is this being marketed as a regional competition, like 'Best in the West' or is it being seen as a 'National' competition?

littlewiggle
31st-October-2006, 01:08 PM
Gosh, there is so much 'dance snobbery' I can't be doing with it! DOES IT REALLY MATTER? I shall be going along and I shall be having fun - end of!! I couldn't care less who is going and who isn't going - just so long as there are others to dance with. I'm looking forward to it Mike :flower:

Gus
31st-October-2006, 01:18 PM
I couldn't care less who is going and who isn't going - just so long as there are others to dance with.I can understand why you just want to go and dance .... but can you understand that one of the attractions of a dnace competition is to see really good dnacers pushing themselves? There is something really inspiring to see the likkes of Simon & Nicole, Phil & Yuko, Will & Kate all sharing the dnacefloor and really pulling out all the stops. At the top level, the new breed of showcases are really stunning. And thats not to forget the Intermediate and Advanced sections where dancers really step op and create something thats worth taking note of. THAT is why people are interested in who is going. There are cases where if I know 'such and such' were competing I would be very interested to go and watch. Its not snobbery, its just what competitions are about. :grin:

littlewiggle
31st-October-2006, 01:22 PM
I can understand why you just want to go and dance .... but can you understand that one of the attractions of a dnace competition is to see really good dnacers pushing themselves? There is something really inspiring to see the likkes of Simon & Nicole, Phil & Yuko, Will & Kate all sharing the dnacefloor and really pulling out all the stops. At the top level, the new breed of showcases are really stunning. And thats not to forget the Intermediate and Advanced sections where dancers really step op and create something thats worth taking note of. THAT is why people mare interested in who is going. There are cases where if I know 'such and such' were competing I would be very interested to go and watch. Its not snobbery, its just what competitions are about. :grin:

Hi - yes I can understand this aspect too but I sometimes feel things aren't tackled in the nicest way - seems like alot of sniping going on which is totally unnecessary and doesn't do anything for anyone! Let's be nice now! :grin:

Lucy Locket
31st-October-2006, 01:40 PM
big group hug now :hug: :hug:

littlewiggle
31st-October-2006, 01:42 PM
big group hug now :hug: :hug:

:yeah: :hug:

Cruella
31st-October-2006, 01:44 PM

SO .... anyone of note entering the Open competition? Could be the easiest 'title' someone adds to thier dance CV this year (no Phil, Simon R, Will, Wongster, Tramp etc). Any of the mighty Scots coming down?

So Gus, are you entering? :devil:

TheTramp
31st-October-2006, 01:44 PM
:yeah: :hug:

No. That was last Saturday. We'll have none of that now!

fletch
31st-October-2006, 01:51 PM
No. That was last Saturday. We'll have none of that now!

To true :what: you can cut that huging out :na:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Gus
31st-October-2006, 02:00 PM
So Gus, are you entering? :devil:Hey thats a thought .... fancy partnering me ... again? :wink:

Patrick
31st-October-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi - yes I can understand this aspect too but I sometimes feel things aren't tackled in the nicest way - seems like alot of sniping going on which is totally unnecessary and doesn't do anything for anyone! Let's be nice now! :grin:

Following FeelingPink's suggestion, I have now added Gus to my ignore list, and this thread looks a lot nicer already! :D

Sadly, when people reply to his posts, the quotes don't get blocked :(

So please don't reply to his latest post, I don't want to know! :wink:

I too am just out for a good time.

IMHO, the main reason why more people don't enter dance competitions is that they know they will be completely outclassed by the outstanding experienced competitors. Perhaps the Midlands Champs will be a chance for some new beginnery people to get started on the ladder.

OTOH, in case no-one has noticed, there is no Advanced Category at the Midlands Champs! So I expect a lot of Advanced couples will be in the Intermediates... :eek: Maybe they will enter the Open?

fletch
31st-October-2006, 03:04 PM
I too am just out for a good time.

:

Thats what I have heard :wink: :D

Don't take this place to serious.:flower:

we are like a family, you can't choose your family or the members on hear, :rolleyes: we have our up's and down's:na: but on the whole we rub along :yeah:

have a hug you didn't get one on Saturday :hug:

luv ya! :love:

Patrick
31st-October-2006, 03:25 PM
That's what I have heard :wink: :D
Ssssh! People think I'm a safe, reliable, take-home-to-your-mom kind of guy! (Which I am of course :innocent: )

have a hug you didn't get one on Saturday :hug:
Can I have a hug this Saturday too? :wink: I think you should attend the Midlands Champs - the Fletch Factor would add a sense of occasion to the, err... Occasion!

What's happening the night before, Fri 3rd? Anything? :confused:

luv ya! :love:

luv ya right back! :awe: :hug: :kiss:

Patrick x

Cruella
31st-October-2006, 04:56 PM
Hey thats a thought .... fancy partnering me ... again? :wink:

Ermmm, not sure i could take the risk of getting eggs thrown at me by Patrick et al!

Gus
31st-October-2006, 05:08 PM
Ermmm, not sure i could take the risk of getting eggs thrown at me by Patrick et al!ROFL. Wouldn't worry, Patrick is very brave in cyberspace, doubt the same resolve would exist in person :rolleyes:

fletch
31st-October-2006, 05:11 PM
ROFL. Wouldn't worry, Patrick is very brave in cyberspace, doubt the same resolve would exist in person :rolleyes:

Do you know Patrick :confused:

You better start running now :eek:

Patrick
1st-November-2006, 10:00 AM
Ermmm, not sure i could take the risk of getting eggs thrown at me by Patrick et al!

Don't worry Cruella, I think all that egging stuff is so childish!

I'm more of a bag of flour person.... :D (and it being Halloween, the shops are prob fresh out of eggs anyway :sad: :wink: )

I just want to have a good time, as Fletch well knows. My partner has never done a comp before, so I would like things to be calm and friendly. :waycool:

Lucy Locket
1st-November-2006, 10:03 AM
Rob Ambridge may also be djing Saturday, spoke with him last night:flower:

Mike Allsopp
1st-November-2006, 03:14 PM
Rob Ambridge may also be djing Saturday, spoke with him last night:flower:

He is, doing one of the mid-afternoon stints and maybe a short set in the evening!

Whilst I'm on I've had a call from a lady whose personal circumstances have changed within the last 48hrs and consequently needs a new partner for the Intermediate section.

She's been dancing 8 months and is apparently told she is VG. She's from down sowf and seems very pleasant with GSOH and WLTM male 30's for competition dancing this Saturday. Anyone interested if I can fix it?

(I must stop reading these personal columns!)

WittyBird
1st-November-2006, 03:38 PM
Anyone interested

The guys at work want photo's :wink:

Mike Allsopp
1st-November-2006, 03:48 PM
The guys at work want photo's :wink:

Apparently Page 12 of FHM

fletch
1st-November-2006, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Allsopp;300789]
She's been dancing 8 months and is apparently told she is VG. She's from down sowf and seems very pleasant with GSOH and WLTM male 30's for competition dancing this Saturday. Anyone interested if I can fix it?

[quote]

That's you out then Patrick :na:

WittyBird
1st-November-2006, 05:41 PM
Apparently Page 12 of FHM

What are you doing to the poor girl in the background Mike? :really:

MartinHarper
2nd-November-2006, 11:09 AM
Is there a schedule yet? I see there are evening-only tickets, but it'd be nice to find out what was on on the evening as opposed to during the day.

Mike Allsopp
2nd-November-2006, 06:51 PM
Is there a schedule yet? I see there are evening-only tickets, but it'd be nice to find out what was on on the evening as opposed to during the day.

Yep, you'll be able to get tickets for the evening on the door - that'll be fine.

As you can probably imagine we're still getting folks applying last min etc so the final 'playlist' will really only be ready for the day.

Suffice to say that Competitors need to be there as soon after the 10.30am door-opening in order to meet their 'Lucky Dip' partner and bounce around (as we apparently do in the Mids) with them for an hour of freestyle.

In the evening we'll be having the Semis, Finals and presentations plus we have Live Cabaret and those young boys Baker and Morgan (OXO'S) on the decks (be kind to them they're new and may be a little nervous!)

fletch
2nd-November-2006, 07:04 PM
and bounce around (as we apparently do in the Mids)

we have Live Cabaret and those young boys Baker and Morgan (OXO'S) on the decks (be kind to them they're new and may be a little nervous!)

:eek: better get my sports bra out :wink:

Good line up of DJ's Mike,:respect: and Rob Ambridge during the day :respect:

It promise to be a good day. :yeah:

Looks like you will have a few competitors practising at Wolverhampton tonight :clap:

Katie Kicks Ass
2nd-November-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm coming!!!

I need a lift home between the day and evening though, and at the end, any offers?

Mike Allsopp
3rd-November-2006, 02:46 AM
I'm coming!!!

I need a lift home between the day and evening though, and at the end, any offers?

I'll announce your needs over the mic if you really really think it'll help Kat... mmmmh!

TheTramp
3rd-November-2006, 03:25 AM
I'll announce your needs over the mic if you really really think it'll help Kat... mmmmh!

Ah. It's an over 18 competition then! :blush:

Mike Allsopp
3rd-November-2006, 03:40 AM
Ah. It's an over 18 competition then! :blush:

That's it, talk of adult stuff is gonna make me blush....off to bed with my cocoa and PJ's!! :blush:

Lucy Locket
3rd-November-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm coming!!!

OMG !!! Mike is there something you haven't told us.:wink:

Katie, you naughty girl :wink: Trampy's got his whip ready:whistle: :rofl: :rofl:

TheTramp
3rd-November-2006, 12:06 PM
Katie, you naughty girl :wink: Trampy's got his whip ready:whistle: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't be silly. I'm shy and innocent. And about 300 miles away from the competition this weekend! :waycool:

Katie Kicks Ass
3rd-November-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanx Mike, I will asses all offers tho.

fletch
3rd-November-2006, 03:42 PM
And about 300 miles away from the competition this weekend! :waycool:

Your more than 300 miles from 'the competition' any weekend :flower:

:wink: :D

Juju
3rd-November-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanx Mike, I will asses all offers tho.

You will also need to assess them. :whistle:

Katie Kicks Ass
3rd-November-2006, 04:02 PM
Thats what I meant.
I won't let any stranger take me home, it's gotta be a sexy stranger!

fletch
4th-November-2006, 09:03 AM
it's gotta be a sexy stranger!

:wink:

fletch
4th-November-2006, 02:19 PM
On my way to the champs :na:

to give Patrick a big :hug:

Jamie
4th-November-2006, 03:04 PM
Been looking at http://www.modernjive.com/CompetitionListing.htm and on there it says "Ticket Only", does that mean you can't just turn up to this? Was thinking of going a bit later on as am busy during the day but would like to go to the freestyle later on?

Tiggerbabe
4th-November-2006, 03:07 PM
Yep, you'll be able to get tickets for the evening on the door - that'll be fine.

Just turn up, Jamie. :D

PhilipW
4th-November-2006, 04:59 PM
Have you noticed that the best footballers don't turn out to be the best managers and, likewise, the best teachers/dancers in the world don't necessarily make the best Judges - just watch tv on Saturday evening!

I disagree in any other form of dance competitions past competitors make the best judges because they no exactly what it takes to prepare and compete, so they are best placed to judge who’s the best dancers!! I think in modern Jive competitions because it is relatively new there’s not many past competitors but there a few and they should be asked to judge,

David Bailey
4th-November-2006, 05:11 PM
I disagree in any other form of dance competitions past competitors make the best judges because they no exactly what it takes to prepare and compete, so they are best placed to judge who’s the best dancers!! I think in modern Jive competitions because it is relatively new there’s not many past competitors but there a few and they should be asked to judge,
I wouldn't put it that strongly myself. I think that's it usually a definite advantage to have experienced competitors as judges, but I think that other factors (clear rules and judging guidelines, for example) are probably more important for ensuring consistency and fairness.

But it's a bit like saying the best mathematicians make the best maths teachers, or the best footballers make the best managers. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

A certain level of competition ability and experience is definitely an advantage - probably even a pre-requisite. But you don't need the top-flight competitors to get the top-flight judges.

So, let's not get hung up on whether the judges are superstars of dance, in other words.

fletch
5th-November-2006, 09:46 AM
Some of the worthy winners :worthy:

Hey! Blueshoues......don't look so happy about it will you :wink:

fletch
5th-November-2006, 09:49 AM
more......

OXO'S
5th-November-2006, 10:51 AM
Well what a very good day at mids champs yest.
I would like to say the standard of dancing was excellant i wouldnt liked to have judged.
The whole day was very well organised and it really flowed with very good music.
Pleased for mike you really put some day together the work must have been enormous,this event has hopefully opened the door for the mids,next year will prove an even bigger attraction:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :respect: :cheers:

littlewiggle
5th-November-2006, 11:50 AM
Well I had a wonderful day yesterday at Stoke. Well done Mike for putting on a great event. I have to say I enjoyed it much more than the Champs at Hammersmith. I thought it was paced well and there was a wonderful friendly atmosphere. Plenty of seating so we could watch the heats in comfort too. Every muscle aches this morning though especially my bum cheeks - must be all that wiggling (hence the pseudo)!! Big thanks to my partner Andy in the Lucky Dip - a pleasure to dance with and through to the semis - very respectable! Met some really lovely people and had some fab dances - I didn't want to go home!

Think there was some confusion with the Lucky Dip results - numbers didn't match the names called - Kev answered to Roger, Mikey to Roger, etc - a wee bit of confusion I think - but it seems the competitors decided if it was their number they were collecting the prize even if it wasn't their name? Sack the secretary Mike!!! :eek:

Trophies looked lovely too I must say. Really think Mike had put a lot of effort in to the day and I can't wait for the next one. Count me in! :worthy:

Mostlysane
5th-November-2006, 11:52 AM
Well said OXO's.

A great day, great atmosphere, great venue, very friendly people and a very well run event. The standard of competitiors was amazing. You could tell the amount of work everyone had put into the event. Congrats to the winners.

Next years is on the 10th of November. It's in my diary, ready for a rematch. :nice:

Mostlysane
5th-November-2006, 11:54 AM
Well I had a wonderful day yesterday at Stoke. Big thanks to my partner Andy in the Lucky Dip - a pleasure to dance with and through to the semis - very respectable!

Bloody hell!!! That was you? Hello Littlewiggle. You looked fab in that sparkly thing and some amazing dances. :)

Andy

littlewiggle
5th-November-2006, 12:27 PM
Bloody hell!!! That was you? Hello Littlewiggle. You looked fab in that sparkly thing and some amazing dances. :)

Andy

I love the technical term 'sparkly thing'! :grin: Can tell you're a bloke but thanks for the compliment and thanks for persuading me and giving me the confidence to get out of my jeans!! :wink:

Andy McGregor
5th-November-2006, 02:30 PM
thanks for persuading me and giving me the confidence to get out of my jeans!! :wink:I think many guys are looking for a girl with that kind of 'confidence':innocent:

On the subject of selecting judges, I believe that the judging panel should be a mixed bunch. All the judges should be dancers in some way or other so they know what they're looking for. But there is no reason why they shouldn't be looking at different aspects of the performance of competitors.

If you look at the judges scoring, as I did at Britrock, you will see a huge difference in opinion from the judges but also a great deal of consistency.

The panel at Britrock were fairly consistent about who should be in the final, but there were quite a few differences of opinion about the final placings. And, I believe, this is right. If all the judges agreed and voted the same you wouldn't need a panel of them. If all the judges decisions were the same, you'd only need one judge. But, when there's a panel of judges, all you need is for a majority of the judges to vote for you, not all of them.

And, if all of the judges can't agree who came first, second, etc, it's no surprise that some of the spectators don't agree with the final positions either.

This variation in judging and judges can be a great consolation to the competitors. You can tell yourself that a different panel of judges would have placed you in a higher position or got into that final, etc, etc :flower:

Lucy Locket
5th-November-2006, 02:40 PM
Well what a very good day at mids champs yest.
I would like to say the standard of dancing was excellant i wouldnt liked to have judged.
The whole day was very well organised and it really flowed with very good music.
Pleased for mike you really put some day together the work must have been enormous,this event has hopefully opened the door for the mids,next year will prove an even bigger attraction:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :respect: :cheers:

I thought it was paced well and there was a wonderful friendly atmosphere. Plenty of seating so we could watch the heats in comfort too. Met some really lovely people and had some fab dances - I didn't want to go home! Trophies looked lovely too I must say. Really think Mike had put a lot of effort in to the day and I can't wait for the next one. Count me in! :worthy:

Well said OXO's.

A great day, great atmosphere, great venue, very friendly people and a very well run event. The standard of competitiors was amazing. You could tell the amount of work everyone had put into the event. Congrats to the winners.

Next years is on the 10th of November. It's in my diary, ready for a rematch. :nice:

:respect: :yeah: :clap: :respect: :yeah: :clap:

Well done Mike, you can take the day off today :hug:

Lucy Locket
5th-November-2006, 02:43 PM
For those of you who were there (& those who weren't) www.solentstudios.com took loads of photos. Not uploaded yet, just checked, but from what i saw yesterday there are some really lovely photos. :flower:

Katie Kicks Ass
5th-November-2006, 04:43 PM
Yesterday was a bloody brilliant day, even if I can't walk! Thank you to everyone I danced with, some very good dances, some dodgy ones (my fault should have had an early night the night before, and not been so tired).
ROLL ON THE NEXT ONE!:cheers:

marty_baby
6th-November-2006, 12:56 AM
...errrr guys....

...anyone got the placings????

fletch
6th-November-2006, 01:11 AM
...errrr guys....

I will PM OXO'S (Ian Morgan) and ask him to post it tomorow, its his birthday and he had just done his last gig at the 't' dance, so don't think he will be around :flower:

I will **** it up if I try and make a stab at it :blush:

fletch
6th-November-2006, 11:11 AM
Midlands Champs

When I walked in at 2.30 the place was buzzing, the atmosphere was electric.:clap:

I also preferred the Midlands Champs to the Hammersmith Champs, there was more room to move around, well less people really, but it gave you chance to get round everyone,:grin: the freestyle in-between the heats was lovely.:yeah:

There obviously had been a lot of thought and effort put into the day, credit where credit is due,:respect: and everything ran without a hitch, well, more or less a little mix up with names at the end but that was just one of those things, not an issue.

The DJ's were wonderful, a top line up had been booked, with Rob Ambridge, John Baker and Ian Morgan (OXO'S):worthy: IMHO there wasn't a bad track played all day OXO'S was on at the end of the evening and slowed it right down to a sensual and smouldering pace, fantastic, it was a lovely set.:respect:

VJ did a caberet spot and was fab as usuall...well done mate :flower:

It was nice for me to see so may familiar faces, close to my home, and I was completly spoilt with lovely dances.

The judging seem fair to me, but what do I know, :confused: I would have put David and Anita first in there catogory, though.:what:

Well, done to Bluseshoes and Rubyred for first place in 'old gits' flying the flag for the north.:clap:
Donna, I bet you wished you had garbed him in Knutsford when you had the chance :wink:

I'm defiantly going next year, and will use it as an opportunity to have friends stop at mine, :cheers: so Mike if you could put a freestyle on, on the Friday before, we will have somewhere to go.:whistle:

Only one complaint, my shirt kept coming untucked :sick: when I was dancing, so decided to pin it to my trousers, where did you get them cheep safety pins from Mike, I ended up like a pin cushen.:eek: ooooch!:D

Well done Mike

OXO'S
6th-November-2006, 01:43 PM
Great credit goes to DAVID LOMAS who did a great job in music earlier on during the day during the heats etc:
He works for mike at mids venues:respect: :clap: :clap: :respect:

Patrick
6th-November-2006, 02:08 PM
Midlands Champs

When I walked in at 2.30 the place was buzzing, the atmosphere was electric. :clap:

When you walked in, I was absolutely knackered! But it was a lovely surprise to see you there so early. So glad you came and enjoyed it. :D

I'm defiantly going next year, and will use it as an opportunity to have friends stop at mine, :cheers: so Mike if you could put a freestyle on, on the Friday before, we will have somewhere to go.:whistle:

I tempted to comment on the typo, but I will resist! Yes it would be great to have a freestyle the night before. I drove over to Chest,erfield with my partner the night before, we arrived too late and too tired, so we didn't do any practice before the competition at all! :eek:

Well done Mike

Yes it went very smoothly, and a lot 'calmer' and more laid back than the other comps I've been to. That's only relatively calm of course! :eek: :rolleyes: Adrenalin is a strange thing. :what:

Easter Bunny
6th-November-2006, 02:55 PM
...errrr guys....

Hi Martin,

Open
1st Roger Payne and Cathy
2nd David and Anita
3rd Jenni and Danni :respect: :clap:

Intermediates
1st Couple in sparkly blue outfits competed in Brighton (came 2nd or 3rd there I think you will know them)
2nd Kevin and partner (from Nottingham - came 3rd ? at Brighton)
3rd :confused:

Lucky dip
1st Lesley Wyrill ME! WHOOPEEE :grin: (Bristol) and Mike (London)
2nd :confused:
3rd Jenni Harrison (Bristol) and Graeme (Nottingham)

Sorry for the people I can't remember, feeling very very tired today, having driven home in the early hours of Sunday morning in thick fog.

Oh and I also got to the final with Graeme from Nottingham, with whom I entered the seniors, very last minute - he was fantastic!

I am sure someone will 'fill in the gaps' in due course.

x Lesley

Easter Bunny
6th-November-2006, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=littlewiggle;302359]
Think there was some confusion with the Lucky Dip results - numbers didn't match the names called - Kev answered to Roger, Mikey to Roger, etc - a wee bit of confusion I think - but it seems the competitors decided if it was their number they were collecting the prize even if it wasn't their name? Sack the secretary Mike!!! :eek: QUOTE]

I agree it was a bit confusing, but I checked and asked Kevin to check (in fact although Roger Payne's name was called instead of Kevin's I don't even think Roger Payne competed in the lucky dip) and can assure you the correct people claimed their rightful prizes.

Whether there was confusion in the marking / correlating the marks however, now that's a different matter:whistle: I did overhear something to that effect.

Suffice to say, all the participants were brilliant and it was a very high standard in all categories.

AND BIG UP TO THE ORGANISERS AND CREW AND STAFF AT THE VENUE YOU WERE GREAT!

fletch
6th-November-2006, 04:25 PM
Hi Martin,

Open
1st Roger Payne and Cathy
2nd David and Anita
3rd Jenni and Danni :respect: :clap:

Intermediates
1st Couple in sparkly blue outfits competed in Brighton (came 2nd or 3rd there I think you will know them)
2nd Kevin and partner (from Nottingham - came 3rd ? at Brighton)
3rd :confused:

Lucky dip
1st Lesley Wyrill ME! WHOOPEEE :grin: (Bristol) and Mike (London)
2nd :confused:
3rd Jenni Harrison (Bristol) and Graeme (Nottingham)

Intermediates

2nd Kevin and Conney, there photo is above

Lucky dip

1st lesley and for forumties 'Mikeyr'
2nd Kevin and Mary Popims
3rd Graham & Jenni

Old Gits

1st Frank (blueshoes) and Ruby (Rubyred) photo above
2nd i'v gone blank :blush:
3rd Diane Dentch (my mate Di) and her 'bow' Trevor :hug:

:clap:

Gus
6th-November-2006, 04:30 PM
So what George Moss win then? I saw Fletch's photo of him holding silverware.

Mike Allsopp
6th-November-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi Folks,

Sorry for the delay in posting the results - I was wrecked all day yesterday!

We did have a little incident early on Saturday that caused some confusion in the 'Lucky Dip' placings later on. Fortunately people responded to the numbers I called out rather than the names which meant the prizes were given to the correct people....phew!

The delay, therefore, has been me wanting to make sure I'd got all the names
correct before I attributed them to the category results.

I'd like to say a massive thank you to everyone that came along to support us at the first Midlands 'Champs' and thanks for the great feedback. I think the Judges were excellent as were the DJ's - particularly Rob and David who really did a fantastic job of providing some great music for the competiton and freestyle sections.

Also a big mention to all the door crew, Judge liaison and Score Analysts who were on the ball with providing and posting results quickly - it was great seeing folks jumping up and down with joy at progressing through the rounds.

Anyway, the results;

Lucky Dip

1st Mike Rosa and Lesley Wyrill
2nd Graeme MacDonald and Jenni Harrison
3rd Kevin Bartlett and Alex Motley

Intermediate

1st Pip Westbury and Kerry Proctor
2nd Kevin Bartlett and Connie Pizzuto
3rd David Packham and Stacy Turley

Ceroc X

1st George Moss and Jack Taylor
2nd Roger Paine and Cathy Prior
3rd Howard Chen and Carol Gilchrist

Old Gits

1st Frank Newton and Rosemary O'Shaughnessy
2nd David Mott and Roberta Crossland
3rd Trevor Fisk and Diane Dench

Open

1st Roger Paine and Cathy Prior
2nd David McLoughlin and Anita Stone
3rd Danny Lewington and Jenni Harrison

Showcase

1st Phil and Alex Motley
2nd Roger Paine and Cathy Prior

Aerials

1st David McLoughlin and Anita Stone
2nd Mike Allsopp (well, seeing as no-one else wanted it it's on my shelf)

Again, congratulations to both the successful couples and all those that took part - the standard was fantastic and you really made the day.

Next year we'll probable re-introduce the 'Beginners' Category to the event to entice the 'novices' into competition dancing. I'd like your thoughts on that please?

Industrial strength safety pins next year!

Hope you can come along to Midlands Ceroc 'Champs' II on 10th November 2007

Mike

Gus
6th-November-2006, 06:37 PM
Open - 1st Roger Paine and Cathy PriorAren't they the guys who won the Intermediate at Hammersmith in May? Thats awesome to come on so far so fast. Where are they from?

mikeyr
6th-November-2006, 06:43 PM
Better get the Luvvy stuff out of the way. I would just like to thankyou to .................. Actually I would just like to thankyou to my partner in the DWAS, Easter Bunny. A lovely Lady, an excellent dancer.

Well done Mike, just want to say what a good day I had, you can be proud of the very first Midlands Champs. I think everybody who was there appreciates the hard work that went into making this happen so a big thankyou to you and all your staff ..... I was well impressed by the big bowl fruit salad at the front, if nobody else noticed its because I had eaten most of it by then:D

To my fellow competitors (its like a mini forum but not at all cliquey :D ) Well done, I think I can safely say everybody rose to the occasion.

I was however a little dissapointed at the amount of local competition and support. To the Local people of the Midlands, this is your showcase to the rest of the world for MJ in your area, use it or lose it.

Mike Allsopp
6th-November-2006, 06:44 PM
Aren't they the guys who won the Intermediate at Hammersmith in May? Thats awesome to come on so far so fast. Where are they from?

They are from Windsor I believe. They had some remarkable competition and danced out of their skins to take the trophy - they really deserved it!

Harry
6th-November-2006, 06:53 PM
Just wanted to say a massive thanks to mike and his crew for making this event such a fantastic day. Having helped to run such an event as mike did on saturday i know how much hard work effort and worry before hand goes into the running of a competition.so credit where it is most definietly due a massive well done.:clap: :clap: For anyone reading and really love going to competitions this has to be one of the best venues i,ve been to ,really good size great for spectating,surperb floor for dancing,and great for all other facilities.The only thing that could,ve made this an even better event was to have more people so for all you people that usually go to comps and thought you,d see what others thought first do not miss this one next year .I,ve been to all the comps this year and this was equally as good as them all.

Now for a few personel thankyous and congrats..To my fantastic dance partner for being so adorable to dance with:drool: and getting us a 3rd placing in the open:hug:
To my d.w.a.s partner graham and getting placed 2nd..Thankyou you i so enjoyed dancing with you.look forward to seeing you again
To my lovely friend :hug: and dance buddie lesley ..a massive well done for making the finals in the seniors and being placed first in d.w.a.s with mike:drool:
To dave and anita for just being so lovely to watch and congrats for 2nd in the open.
A massive well done to cathy and roger for being placed 1st in the open.
and to anyone else who took part and were placed
Big thankyou to H, for those amazing dances we had.

so as you can tell i had a fab day so i,ll see you all thare next year.

x jenni

Easter Bunny
6th-November-2006, 07:15 PM
Just wanted to say a massive thanks to mike and his crew for making this event such a fantastic day. Having helped to run such an event as mike did on saturday i know how much hard work effort and worry before hand goes into the running of a competition.so credit where it is most definietly due a massive well done.:clap: :clap: For anyone reading and really love going to competitions this has to be one of the best venues i,ve been to ,really good size great for spectating,surperb floor for dancing,and great for all other facilities.The only thing that could,ve made this an even better event was to have more people so for all you people that usually go to comps and thought you,d see what others thought first do not miss this one next year .I,ve been to all the comps this year and this was equally as good as them all.

Now for a few personel thankyous and congrats..To my fantastic dance partner for being so adorable to dance with:drool: and getting us a 3rd placing in the open:hug:
To my d.w.a.s partner graham and getting placed 2nd..Thankyou you i so enjoyed dancing with you.look forward to seeing you again
To my lovely friend :hug: and dance buddie lesley ..a massive well done for making the finals in the seniors and being placed first in d.w.a.s with mike:drool:
To dave and anita for just being so lovely to watch and congrats for 2nd in the open.
A massive well done to cathy and roger for being placed 1st in the open.
and to anyone else who took part and were placed
Big thankyou to H, for those amazing dances we had.

so as you can tell i had a fab day so i,ll see you all thare next year.

x jenni

Just give me a big slap when you next see me will you - I posted you as getting 3rd in lucky dip and not 2nd DOH:blush:
Put it down to senile dementure.
YOU AND DANNI WERE UTTER, UTTER STARS and a joy to watch:clap: :respect:

Easter Bunny
6th-November-2006, 07:20 PM
Better get the Luvvy stuff out of the way. I would just like to thankyou to .................. Actually I would just like to thankyou to my partner in the DWAS, Easter Bunny. A lovely Lady, an excellent dancer.

Well done Mike, just want to say what a good day I had, you can be proud of the very first Midlands Champs. I think everybody who was there appreciates the hard work that went into making this happen so a big thankyou to you and all your staff ..... I was well impressed by the big bowl fruit salad at the front, if nobody else noticed its because I had eaten most of it by then:D

To my fellow competitors (its like a mini forum but not at all cliquey :D ) Well done, I think I can safely say everybody rose to the occasion.

I was however a little dissapointed at the amount of local competition and support. To the Local people of the Midlands, this is your showcase to the rest of the world for MJ in your area, use it or lose it.

What can I say about you ? one word, or maybe three
UTTERLY DEVINE AND GEORGEOUS :drool: - to dance with
THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU

Jamie
6th-November-2006, 07:20 PM
Well done to all! Hoping to dance with you all at some point in the future :D

Blueshoes
7th-November-2006, 01:24 AM
Had a great day! Loved the competing and found that the dancing took over from the nerves and it became wonderfully enjoyable.

And thanks to Rubyred for being a superb partner and for counterpointing all my failings! ;)

After the success of the first Midlands Champs I think next year will be bigger and better and the show should go from strength to strength. :grin:

Mike Allsopp
7th-November-2006, 01:54 AM
Whilst I'm on - we're having an 'Au Revoir' to Debbie Attwood (the blonde babe Judge from the Champs) night at Walsall Town Hall on 25th November.

Debs has had her own venues for some time now and is expanding her business, so much so that she's leaving Ceroc Midlands after 5yrs of excellent service.

For those that don't know her she really is lovely,a very enthusiastic and fun teacher. She'll be doing a Tango class at around 9pm. We'll be dancing 'til 1a m - gonna try and get David and Rob or David and Ian to share the music. Try not to miss it.

Just thought you might be interested - she'll pull a very good crowd!

Mike

WittyBird
7th-November-2006, 02:02 AM
Whilst I'm on - we're having an 'Au Revoir' to Debbie Attwood (the blonde babe Judge from the Champs) night at Walsall Town Hall on 25th November.

Where is she going?

Missy D
7th-November-2006, 09:15 AM
Aren't they the guys who won the Intermediate at Hammersmith in May? Thats awesome to come on so far so fast. Where are they from?

Roger is from London and Cathy is from just outside Reading. They do read the forum but, never post.

Well done Roger and Cathy:clap: :clap:

fletch
7th-November-2006, 09:20 AM

Debs has had her own venues for some time now and is expanding her business, so much so that she's leaving Ceroc Midlands after 5yrs of excellent service.

For those that don't know her she really is lovely,a very enthusiastic and fun teacher. She'll be doing a Tango class at around 9pm. We'll be dancing 'til 1a m - gonna try and get David and Rob or David and Ian to share the music. Try not to miss it.

Just thought you might be interested - she'll pull a very good crowd!

Mike

Debbie was my teacher when I first started and my early insperation :flower:

What times it on till Mike :flower:

Where is she going?

She has her own venue :hug:

Cruella
7th-November-2006, 09:27 AM
What times it on till Mike :flower:
She has her own venue :hug:

Well as they will be dancing til 1am, i'd take a stab in the dark and guess it finishes at ......1am. :wink:
Now thats another big decision, this or the Oxford Ball!!

fletch
7th-November-2006, 09:32 AM
Well as they will be dancing til 1am, i'd take a stab in the dark and guess it finishes at ......1am. :wink:
Now thats another big decision, this or the Oxford Ball!!

That i'll be 1am then :na: :blush:

I'm not asking about the ball i'll have a look, mmmm it that the one we think partners will be at :blush:

Delectable
7th-November-2006, 10:19 AM
Thank you for a fantastic day, the standard of dancing was amazing, atmosphere was electric, met a lot of new and friendly people. Looking forward to the next one, maybe will enter next time, when my dancing has improved.

Mike Allsopp
7th-November-2006, 01:46 PM
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet but the pics from the 'champs' will be on this site within a day or so

http://www.solentstudios.co.uk/events/index.htm

Katie Kicks Ass
7th-November-2006, 03:39 PM
They are taking there time to upload them. I wanna see how many dodgy pictures of me there is. I'm sure I look oh so sexy on them.

Delectable
7th-November-2006, 04:01 PM
Look forward to seeing them. :nice:

Anita
7th-November-2006, 07:14 PM
The venue for this comp was exactly like Oxford Town Hall, right down to the decoration on the ceiling. Obviously this was a good thing as its a very beautiful hall and had plenty of space. The floor was good as well, not too fast, not too slow.

David Bailey
8th-November-2006, 09:28 AM
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet but the pics from the 'champs' will be on this site within a day or so

http://www.solentstudios.co.uk/events/index.htm

Not up there yet :(

Blimey, how long does it take to plug a camera into a PC? :rolleyes:

mikeyr
8th-November-2006, 01:04 PM
The photos are on there now:clap: :clap:

TheTramp
8th-November-2006, 02:15 PM
The photos are on there now:clap: :clap:

Indeed. So, anyone want to go through them, and point us in the direction of any forumite ones then? Along with names!

Gus
8th-November-2006, 02:29 PM
The photos are on there now:clap: :clap:Had a quick flick through, some nice photos. Curious, anyone know how many people were in each round? The reason for asking is that fomr the photos there doesn't seem to be many competitors, considering the number of events. The other surprise is that I hardly recognise anyone, especially from the N West :(

Who was in the Open category? Thought I recgonised a couple from ISH (is that MikeR, Aussie lad who works with Ceroc with a stunning girlfirend?)

Katie Kicks Ass
8th-November-2006, 02:40 PM
Im on page 13, in the red skirt and leggings (for those who don't know me!)

Patrick
8th-November-2006, 02:41 PM
Indeed. So, anyone want to go through them, and point us in the direction of any forumite ones then? Along with names!

My computer v. sloowww..., but here's a start:

The Fabulous Famous Fletch! :awe: :wink: :na:

http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_016.html

Jolly JivingDan!
http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_027.html

Dan doing the business!
http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_821.html

Patrick
8th-November-2006, 03:08 PM
My computer v. sloowww..., but here's a start:

Patrick and Carly warming up
http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_043.html
http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_044.html

Katie Kicks Ass
http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_254.html

Patrick
8th-November-2006, 03:40 PM
Had a quick flick through, some nice photos. Curious, anyone know how many people were in each round? The reason for asking is that fomr the photos there doesn't seem to be many competitors, considering the number of events. The other surprise is that I hardly recognise anyone, especially from the N West :(

There were about 8 max on the floor for each heat, maybe more for Lucky Dip. As far as I can remember about 21 entered Intermediates, 7 or 8 for Open, 7 or 8 Ceroc X, 30-odd for lucky dip, maybe 12 for Old Gits.

I didn't see many people I know from the South either.

Blueshoes I believe...
http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_010.html

Mikeyr of course
http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_014.html

WittyBird
8th-November-2006, 03:47 PM
Mikeyr of course
http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_010.html

That aint MikeyR :whistle:

fletch
8th-November-2006, 03:55 PM
Im on page 13, in the red skirt and leggings (for those who don't know me!)

Katie, they are realy nice photo's of you :clap:

Ho! to be 17 again with a lovely figure like that :flower:

:hug:

Patrick
8th-November-2006, 03:57 PM
That aint MikeyR :whistle:

Oops, I pasted Blueshoes twice...

It is Mikey now! http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_014.html

fletch
8th-November-2006, 06:17 PM
There are some nice ones of littlewiggle and Mostlysane numbers 867 and 1049 soz don't know how to do the link:blush:

Patrick
8th-November-2006, 06:27 PM
There are some nice ones of littlewiggle and Mostlysane numbers 867 and 1049 soz don't know how to do the link:blush:

Like this babes:
Littlewiggleand Mostlysane
http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_867.html
http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_1049.html

With your beauty and my brains we could... errrr .... rule the world! :wink: :kiss: :hug:

You can highlight the address when you are on the photo (click in the address box), copy (CTRL-C), and paste (CTRL-V). Or type it in here longhand

http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_xxx.html

littlewiggle
8th-November-2006, 06:28 PM

Bless you honey - I hate photos of me but I actually quite like 1049 maybe it's because my hair is all over my face! Definite improvement!:D

fletch
8th-November-2006, 06:37 PM
- I hate photos of me

why :confused: you looked lovely and that out fit was FAB very psychedelic :clap:

Moslysane is smashing to dance with isn't he,:worthy: I had to stop asking him in the end,:blush: I didn't want him to think I was stalking him :sick:

:D

TheTramp
8th-November-2006, 06:38 PM
why :confused: you looked lovely and that out fit was FAB very psychedelic :clap:

:yeah: Have to agree!

fletch
8th-November-2006, 06:42 PM
With your beauty and my brains we could... errrr .... rule the world! :wink: :kiss: :hug:

You can highlight the address when you are on the photo (click in the address box), copy (CTRL-C), and paste (CTRL-V). Or type it in here longhand

Trousers tried to help me the other day, to do this, I was trying to post a photo of me and Jimmy saville look a likes, that ESG did some time ago and
I couldn't manage it.

Its times like this I think I need a man :wink:

Roll on Camber I need a hug :hug:

Mostlysane
8th-November-2006, 06:56 PM

Moslysane is smashing to dance with isn't he,:worthy: I had to stop asking him in the end,:blush: I didn't want him to think I was stalking him :sick:

:D

Have to agree about the outfit. It's just a shame there weren't any of the sparkly thing. And thanks babe. don't ever stop asking. You're an ace dancer. See you at camber.

Mike Allsopp
8th-November-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi folks, I've posted the pics of the placed couples on our site www.cerocmidlands.co.uk (Local events page)

fletch
8th-November-2006, 07:00 PM
don't ever stop asking. You're an ace dancer. See you at camber.

I won't :flower: you don't get rid of me that easy :wink:

Camber here we come :clap: :clap:

Patrick
8th-November-2006, 07:25 PM
Trousers tried to help me the other day, to do this, I was trying to post a photo of me and Jimmy saville look a likes, that ESG did some time ago and
I couldn't manage it.

Its times like this I think I need a man :wink:

Roll on Camber I need a hug :hug:

Is that a particular man?... :wink: I'll give you some hugs to be going on with. Camber here we come! :hug: :hug: :clap:

Mike Allsopp
8th-November-2006, 07:31 PM
Better still http://www.cerocmidlands.co.uk/midlandschamps.htm

littlewiggle
12th-November-2006, 06:26 PM
http://solentstudios.com/shoppingcart/221ceroc/html/ceroc_1353.html

I thought the couple in the pic above were fab! Anyone care to tell us who they are? Also, where do you get fab outfits like that from? I thought they stole the show :worthy:

Gus
12th-November-2006, 07:16 PM

I thought the couple in the pic above were fab! Anyone care to tell us who they are? Also, where do you get fab outfits like that from? I thought they stole the show :worthy:Weren't they one of the winners?

Anita
12th-November-2006, 07:18 PM

I thought the couple in the pic above were fab! Anyone care to tell us who they are? Also, where do you get fab outfits like that from? I thought they stole the show :worthy:

Hi - that's Helen & Lee. They also reached the Open final at Weston-Super-Mare and Helen reached the Hammersmith Open final with a different partner. They are from the London area (they were at Hammersmith last night).

Before the competition I asked her which dresses she had decided to wear (I knew she had lots of lovely dresses) - in the end she got the chance to wear all three :really: Their presentation takes some beating :waycool:

One of them was off of e-bay. There is a great company on e-bay that sells basic latin dresses for a very reasonable price. A bit of surfing should locate it.

littlewiggle
12th-November-2006, 07:18 PM
Weren't they one of the winners?

Don't think so. Could be wrong tho! ( I am occasionally!)

Anita
12th-November-2006, 07:19 PM
Weren't they one of the winners?

They were 4th in the Open.

littlewiggle
12th-November-2006, 07:21 PM
They were 4th in the Open.

Didn't know there was a fourth! Anyway they were great and looked sensational. The business!

Anita
12th-November-2006, 07:58 PM
Didn't know there was a fourth! Anyway they were great and looked sensational. The business!

There were four couples in the final.

Next time I see them I'll let them know what you've said - they'll really appreciate it :flower:

Gus
12th-November-2006, 07:58 PM
Didn't know there was a fourth! Anyway they were great and looked sensational. The business!Ahem ... did they look better than the 3 couples who beat them :whistle:

Mike Allsopp
12th-November-2006, 08:31 PM
Ahem ... did they look better than the 3 couples who beat them :whistle:

I couldn't possibly comment on that - but they both looked fantastic, they really made a superb effort, as did a number of the other couples competing.

I've got the Judges scoresheets out on my desk now - it was a very very close thing for the Open Final placings!

Mike

littlewiggle
12th-November-2006, 09:16 PM
Ahem ... did they look better than the 3 couples who beat them :whistle:

Well Gus - it is all a matter of personal opinion isn't it? Costume wise they looked the best of all IMHO and yes before you say it - I do realise it's not just about costumes!

Patrick
15th-November-2006, 05:28 PM
Well Gus - it is all a matter of personal opinion isn't it? Costume wise they looked the best of all IMHO and yes before you say it - I do realise it's not just about costumes!

I have to agree, I thought Helen and Lee's costumes were outstanding. I didn't much notice the others in the Open as they were so stunning! I was surprised they weren't placed, but then I wasn't really watching the others, so.... :blush:

littlewiggle
17th-November-2006, 09:10 PM
Before the competition I asked her which dresses she had decided to wear (I knew she had lots of lovely dresses) - in the end she got the chance to wear all three :really: Their presentation takes some beating :waycool:

One of them was off of e-bay. There is a great company on e-bay that sells basic latin dresses for a very reasonable price. A bit of surfing should locate it.

Hi well thanks for that - or at least I think I mean thank you. :eek: I found a great one but it seems I need to take out a second mortgage :tears: My goodness.. HOW MUCH??!!! Didn't realise these dresses were so expensive - got a gorgeous one from a German store today - love it but it only just covers my bum - need some ingenious way of lengthening it in the interests of common decency - ideas anyone?

Anita
17th-November-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi well thanks for that - or at least I think I mean thank you. :eek: I found a great one but it seems I need to take out a second mortgage :tears: My goodness.. HOW MUCH??!!! Didn't realise these dresses were so expensive - got a gorgeous one from a German store today - love it but it only just covers my bum - need some ingenious way of lengthening it in the interests of common decency - ideas anyone?

"Fringe" maybe- you know. the stuff they put on "Flapper style 20's" dresses. You can get different lengths of fringe - it will create nice moment as well.

Alternatively small beads hanging from the bottom of the dress - but that is a bit fiddley to attach and potentially bruising on the legs.

Maybe a layer of lace could work, if that would suit the dress.

littlewiggle
17th-November-2006, 10:08 PM
"Fringe" maybe- you know. the stuff they put on "Flapper style 20's" dresses. You can get different lengths of fringe - it will create nice moment as well.

Alternatively small beads hanging from the bottom of the dress - but that is a bit fiddley to attach and potentially bruising on the legs.

Maybe a layer of lace could work, if that would suit the dress.

Hmmm - the top has fringing from it and so does the front of the skirt area but not the back - bizarre but looks nice. Doubt I'll be able to get matching fringing so may have to be brave and take it all off and buy some other to put all round. Keep your fingers crossed I don't make a huge mess and ruin it!!! Thanks for your ideas x

MartinHarper
18th-November-2006, 01:10 AM
need some ingenious way of lengthening it in the interests of common decency - ideas anyone?

Wear nice knickers

littlewiggle
18th-November-2006, 09:56 AM
Wear nice knickers

Always do Martin - always do! This seems to be the general consensus amongst my friends as they said I shouldn't risk ruining it! Wouldn't normally wear anything so short but I think you can get away with more for dancing! :innocent:

Mike Allsopp
18th-November-2006, 02:08 PM
need some ingenious way of lengthening it in the interests of common decency - ideas anyone?

How about I run a Xmas do...."dresses halfway up your ass" theme?

It'd be perfect, no extra work for you, no risk of damage to your dress and a good turnout of men (hopefully not with dresses halfway up their ass!:)

Oh well, just a thought LW

Mike

littlewiggle
18th-November-2006, 02:48 PM
a good turnout of men (hopefully not with dresses halfway up their ass!:)

Mike

Just so long as they don't do the trousers half way down ass 'thang' - builders bum look is never very attractive unless looking for somewhere to park one's bike!

Tiggerbabe
4th-July-2007, 04:13 PM
I have moved all posts relating to this year's champs to a new thread. Midlands Champs 10th November 2007.
Sheena