PDA

View Full Version : Techniques for "club music" dancing?

David Bailey
26th-October-2006, 02:06 PM
Given all the bouncy hand and Hippodrome discussions, and given this comment (http://www.mjda.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1730&postcount=17) made in the MJDA forum:

Club music is one of my favourite types of music for listening to and dancing to, so it was right up my street.

I did hear some comments on the night that the music was non-stop 'thump thump' music and therefore unsuited to good dancing. I've always found it a bit wierd the way some people blame the DJ for their inability to dance to a range of music.
I guess a good example of this is "I like the way you move" (Bodyrockers, not Outkast) - it's a real challenge to start with, but if you work at it, it can be very rewarding.

I wonder if anyone has tips for dancing to this kind of music (sometimes referred to as "thump-thump" :) )?

Ideas? Suggestions?

clevedonboy
26th-October-2006, 02:39 PM
Just dance?

As somebody who is often associated with swing when I DJ, I have an attraction to a lot of "clubby" music - my most recent set included S'Express, PF Project, Shapeshifters & the like. It's not hardcore dance music by the standards my 21 year old would set but fits that genre.

Some of it may be higher energy than most tunes you'll hear at a MJ event so you might want to modify your selection of moves in just the same way as you would for a Rock n Roll track. Lose the latin posing though!

To me a good dance tune is a good dance tune - what genre it belongs to is not important.

ducasi
26th-October-2006, 02:57 PM
Just dance?

[...]

Some of it may be higher energy than most tunes you'll hear at a MJ event so you might want to modify your selection of moves in just the same way as you would for a Rock n Roll track. Lose the latin posing though!
:yeah:

Faster music requires reduced complexity, and faster marking of breaks and accents in the music.

Keep it moving, keep it elastic, but try to slow things down occasionally too.

I love dancing to *real* club music just as much as I love dancing to the more bluesy stuff. :D (Just so long as I have the energy! :o)

David Bailey
26th-October-2006, 02:58 PM
Lose the latin posing though!
:what: :eek: :tears:

Zebra Woman
26th-October-2006, 03:06 PM
All I know is this -

Do not tuck your T shirt into your trousers.

ZW:wink:

TheTramp
26th-October-2006, 03:12 PM
Body movement. Syncopations. Pick the right partner (though, that applies to most music, except the generic pop crap!)

Genie
26th-October-2006, 05:48 PM
I did hear some comments on the night that the music was non-stop 'thump thump' music and therefore unsuited to good dancing. I've always found it a bit wierd the way some people blame the DJ for their inability to dance to a range of music.

I don't understand. At what point did "non-stop thump-thump" music become a "range of music"? I don't mind a mix in an evening. And I quite like dancing to Bodyrockers, "I like the way you move". But if that kind of music is all a particular DJ plays all night long, then that's a que for me to avoid said DJ's nights.

dance cat
26th-October-2006, 06:04 PM
Given all the bouncy hand and Hippodrome discussions, and given this comment (http://www.mjda.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1730&postcount=17) made in the MJDA forum:

I guess a good example of this is "I like the way you move" (Bodyrockers, not Outkast) - it's a real challenge to start with, but if you work at it, it can be very rewarding.

I wonder if anyone has tips for dancing to this kind of music (sometimes referred to as "thump-thump" :) )?

Ideas? Suggestions?

I am loathe to do this due to the anticipated barage of comments from you and ESG-but (I'll carry on anyway:wink: ) your arch nemesis Gus used to run workshops on adapting MJ to club music, which I have attended. He has some useful approaches to dancing to thump thump music. (He used to be a fan before converting to music with a little more taste:rofl: ) Perhaps you could ask him?

TheTramp
26th-October-2006, 06:06 PM
I don't understand. At what point did "non-stop thump-thump" music become a "range of music"? I don't mind a mix in an evening. And I quite like dancing to Bodyrockers, "I like the way you move". But if that kind of music is all a particular DJ plays all night long, then that's a que for me to avoid said DJ's nights.

Well, I think the point that DavidB was making, was that people hear thump-thump music, and automatically say that it's for beginners, and you can't dance well to it. Not that just because it was the only type of music on that particular night.

However, I agree with what you said. The same type of music all night on any given night would drive me away. I like dancing to almost all sorts of music. But not the same type one after the other.

A night of the same type of blues music would bore me too - even if I liked every single track, having them one after the other all night wouldn't be to my taste...

Gus
26th-October-2006, 06:28 PM
FWIW I think the 'real' MJ Club music offers as much opportuntiy for interpretation and expressive dance as any latin track. Aside from the formula commercial crap that is pumped out, there are some club tracks that have so much more to them than just a 'thump thump' beat. Tracks like Teisto's "Love comes again", Three Amigos "25 miles" and Blazes "Most precious love" have a strong vocal rhythm aswell as the base beat to play to. Many of these tracks have a change of emphasis allowing dancers to slow down their dance and 'blues' it for a while.

Personally I find that a strong driving beat allows both partners to engage in shines and exagerated bodyrocking. For anyone who doubts how good this style of dnace can look, just think back to the displays by FC & JiveBrummie. They were superb proponents of this style and their absence of the dance scene is a real loss: (

Lory
26th-October-2006, 06:42 PM
My tips (actually these are my 15yr old son's tips :blush: :rofl: )

Firstly, get a few lessons on one of THESE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY9veTXCAmk)

Then practice in the garden (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H50zN9PwhI&mode=related&search=)but don't forget to limp round your designated spot first though, that's very important :D

Gus
26th-October-2006, 07:01 PM
Firstly, get a few lessons on one of THESE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY9veTXCAmk)Well, he's dancinng a nice slotted pattern but think he needs to work on his bouncing otherwise he'll incurr the wrath of Andy McG :blush:

David Bailey
26th-October-2006, 07:40 PM
I don't understand. At what point did "non-stop thump-thump" music become a "range of music"?.
As said, I think the general point can be stated as: "A bad dancer blames the music".

Which, to me, is a useful reminder.

We're all so busy talking about the Perfect Lush Music or whatever - we lose sight of the fact that tens of thousands of people manage to dance to club music every night.

Presumably, at least some of them are good dancers, so the music must be dance-able to, and given the adaptability of MJ, most of it must be MJ-able-to.

It's fine to have preferences - as we all do for different styles of dancing. But saying one type of music is "better to dance to" than another is close to saying one type of dancing is better. It's all personal preference, at the end of the day.

David Bailey
26th-October-2006, 07:42 PM
your arch nemesis Gus used to run workshops on adapting MJ to club music, which I have attended. He has some useful approaches to dancing to thump thump music. (He used to be a fan before converting to music with a little more taste:rofl: ) Perhaps you could ask him?
Wow, I have an arch-nemesis! Whioh one of us is the Evil Villain with the Cool Secret Lair and the wussy pussy though? :innocent:

Besides, I've seen Gus dance to club music. I'm still traumatised - and that was nearly 20 years ago... :na:

David Bailey
26th-October-2006, 07:43 PM
FWIW I think the 'real' MJ Club music offers as much opportuntiy for interpretation and expressive dance as any latin track.
{ snip other stuff }

I agree.

Bugger.

MartinHarper
26th-October-2006, 08:36 PM

quick quick slow
quick quick slow
quick quick slow
slow slow
(repeat, lots)

It's a decent enough song, but I confess I find it somewhat repetitive after a while. Largely I think that's because I don't know enough MJ moves that fit it, so I end up getting stuck in the ones that do.

TA Guy
26th-October-2006, 09:07 PM
I love that Bodyrockers song.
I have a soft spot for songs that change pace, especially when it's so marked, it's like 'black and white' and I think it makes for a very good dance. I also like songs that 'wind up', so it scores on both counts.

Another one is Played-A-Live (The Bongo Song). I know a lot of dancers hate that song, and sometimes I've noticed the DJ's mangle it for some reason, but again, the proper version has great change of pace which can be translated into very effective MJ dance.

dance cat
26th-October-2006, 10:43 PM

Ok I am being very anal and I'm dredging up info from my old music theory exams done in the dim and distant past and I am willing to be corrected by musicians but I think the Bodyrockers track actually has the same time signature throughout. I have been really sad and marked the time several times to it and to me it is the same all the way through. I'm so sad I'm going to test it again because I'm sure someone will prove me wrong.

dance cat
26th-October-2006, 10:45 PM
Wow, I have an arch-nemesis! Whioh one of us is the Evil Villain with the Cool Secret Lair and the wussy pussy though? :innocent:

Besides, I've seen Gus dance to club music. I'm still traumatised - and that was nearly 20 years ago... :na:

Now David we've never met so how could I comment on your wussy pussy?:rofl:

DavidY
26th-October-2006, 11:10 PM
I think the Bodyrockers track actually has the same time signature throughout. I think the same is true of most tracks I hear at MJ- very few change tempo - and in the good tracks it's not tempo changes that make them interesting.

For instance in the Body rockers you have the bit that goes (if you'll excuse my notation):

Ba -Deee
Ba -Daaa
Ba -Deee
Ba -Daaa
Ba DeeDeeDeeDeeDee....{break}
"I like the way you moo-ove"

For example on the first few "Ba-Deee/Daaa"s (if I was a good lead) I could do a repetitive move like alternatively combing myself/my partner, and the last bit (given a suitably spinny partner) could spin her to stop on the break. Or something.

foxylady
26th-October-2006, 11:11 PM
Presumably, at least some of them are good dancers, so the music must be dance-able to, and given the adaptability of MJ, most of it must be MJ-able-to.

It's fine to have preferences - as we all do for different styles of dancing. But saying one type of music is "better to dance to" than another is close to saying one type of dancing is better. It's all personal preference, at the end of the day.

I LOVE going clubbing. I prefer to dance to 'club' music alone. I have met very few leaders who can MJ to club music the way I want to dance to club music... (Simon r can :drool: and Trampy can so there are some). I do a different sort of dance when I MJ, and I also like variation, whereas when clubbing I'd rather just do my thing (preferably surrounded by delicious 18 yr old men with whom I can flirt outrageously)...

Its not that one can't dance MJ to club music its that one prefers not to...

SilverFox
27th-October-2006, 08:20 AM
All I know is this -

Do not tuck your T shirt into your trousers.

ZW:wink:Probably the only time I'd really want to read a response from David James, and what do we get. Silence.

Go on DJ. You know you want to......:devil:

whitetiger1518
27th-October-2006, 10:12 AM
As said, I think the general point can be stated as: "A bad dancer blames the music".

OK then, I take your challenge - Is there a type of music that you can't dance MJ to??

I mean has anyone here ever danced MJ to:
Ceilidh music?
(I adore Ceilidh - so usually dance it to it's own music, but is it possible to dance MJ to it?)

Musical numbers?

Or Classical? After all, can't Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture be called the "Original" Thump Thump music?? :wink:

I pretty much like most styles (the only exception so far is Rap - though if someone can persuade me I am willing to change my mind)

Whitetiger

Juju
27th-October-2006, 10:19 AM
OK then, I take your challenge - Is there a type of music that you can't dance MJ to??

Probably not, but the quality of the dancing might be variable. Anything with a beat would do.

It has occured to me that "Peaches" by the Stranglers would be great to dance to - not that I'd want to attempt it, not in public anyway. :innocent:

David Bailey
27th-October-2006, 10:25 AM
Absolutely - music that's outside the tempo range; it then becomes difficult to define the dance as MJ. OK, fair enough, you can dance half-time, but that's usually too slow.

Alternatively, music that doesn't have the standard MJ structure - clave-based music, for example.

Most salsa music is too fast and it's clave-based, so you're stuffed both ways with that.

But I don't think club music is too fast, and it's usually the right structure.

Still confused on the T-shirt thing...

El Salsero Gringo
27th-October-2006, 11:11 AM
Hands up if you'd like to see DavidJames Cerocing to Strauss's Blue Danube Waltz?

whitetiger1518
27th-October-2006, 11:17 AM
Hands up if you'd like to see DavidJames Cerocing to Strauss's Blue Danube Waltz?

:rofl: :worthy: :yeah:

How about Handel's Messiah?

That would be interesting....
:rofl:

Whitetiger

ducasi
27th-October-2006, 11:21 AM
It has occured to me that "Peaches" by the Stranglers would be great to dance to - not that I'd want to attempt it, not in public anyway. :innocent:
Ooh, that sounds like fun! :D

Groovemeister
27th-October-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't know if you have got time but if you have listen to this mix. See if you think something like this would fit a Ceroc, MJ club night.

To me it has got more expression than most club music and it has the right beats, variation of beats, vocals and tempo

http://www.rawpromotions.co.uk/mixes/PS_DYKH_Oct06.mp3

But I may be wrong

MartinHarper
27th-October-2006, 01:06 PM
I mean has anyone here ever danced MJ to:
Ceilidh music?
(I adore Ceilidh - so usually dance it to it's own music, but is it possible to dance MJ to it?)

Yeah. It was kinda tricky. Fast beat, and a beat that doesn't really want to be "halved" into a more MJ-able range. Too tricky for my partner and I at the time, so I quickly gave up and danced outwith the music. Some of the more experienced MJers there had more success.
It was made especially tricky because most of the other dancers were doing some very simple, very spinny, very "progressive" dance round the edge of the dance floor. I'm still not sure what it was, but I'm slowly working out how to lead it in an MJ context.

Musical numbers?

As in from musicals? I've seen folks dance to "Mein Herr" from the film "Cabaret", for example. Looked neat.

whitetiger1518
27th-October-2006, 01:16 PM
Ah I see - so Ceilidh MJing can be done :respect: I think I will keep the dance styles apart though - it sounds too hard for me

As in from musicals? I've seen folks dance to "Mein Herr" from the film "Cabaret", for example. Looked neat.

Yes that is what I meant. As there are loads of musicals I'm sure there must be plenty of individual songs out there to be danced to. (The only problem I could see would be if I knew the musical... you would have to put up with my singing!! :eek: :sick: Not a good idea! )

*Whitetiger dissolves in embarrasement at the thought* :blush:

Whitetiger

El Salsero Gringo
29th-October-2006, 04:21 PM
Yes that is what I meant. As there are loads of musicals I'm sure there must be plenty of individual songs out there to be danced to. Like All That Jazz (also from a Kander and Ebb musical, Chicago) for example?