PDA

View Full Version : The Modern Jive Grand Slam

Simon
24th-October-2006, 04:33 PM
[Simon Rich is] one half of a team at the top of their game .....Now there's an understatement. :what: I think I'm right in saying that Simon and Nicole were the winners of the top division of the last 3 major (established) competitions: Scottish Ceroc Champs; Weston Super Mare; Britrock. If they continue this form and win the top division at Blackpool and Hammersmith in the new year they will hold all the top titles simultaneously. That would be an awesome achievement. :worthy:

What do you punters reckon? Can it be done? What odds will you give me on them doing the Grand Slam?

Spoon
24th-October-2006, 05:09 PM
well, if the judging is similar to ballroom competitions then maybe they have a good chance.

under par
24th-October-2006, 05:30 PM
well, if the judging is similar to ballroom competitions then maybe they have a good chance.

Hi Spoon welcome to the forum:cheers:

Hope you have many fun hours posting:yeah:

What point are you making here then ?:whistle:

Achaeco
24th-October-2006, 05:42 PM
Now there's an understatement. :what: I think I'm right in saying that Simon and Nicole were the winners of the top division of the last 3 major (established) competitions: Scottish Ceroc Champs; Weston Super Mare; Britrock. If they continue this form and win the top division at Blackpool and Hammersmith in the new year they will hold all the top titles simultaneously. That would be an awesome achievement. :worthy:

What do you punters reckon? Can it be done? What odds will you give me on them doing the Grand Slam?

Firstly i think they are fab together.
Second i know there will be competition at Blackpool from oz and usa. (how good i dont know)

Im glad im not a judge

Did they win at hammersmith this year?????????

With the confidece of past comps i would not like to bet.

Minnie M
25th-October-2006, 12:23 AM
Firstly i think they are fab together.
Second i know there will be competition at Blackpool from oz and usa. (how good i dont know)

Im glad im not a judge

With the confidece of past comps i would not like to bet.

If the USA competitors are the couple who threatened to do it this year - then they will definitely have their work cut out - but only in the Showcase

Bex
25th-October-2006, 10:55 AM
Now there's an understatement. :what: I think I'm right in saying that Simon and Nicole were the winners of the top division of the last 3 major (established) competitions: Scottish Ceroc Champs; Weston Super Mare; Britrock. If they continue this form and win the top division at Blackpool and Hammersmith in the new year they will hold all the top titles simultaneously. That would be an awesome achievement. :worthy:

I could be wrong, but didn't Phil & Yuko hold all the top titles simultaneously :worthy: ? If they can do it, I'm sure Simon and Nicole can :clap:

Gus
25th-October-2006, 10:59 AM
For it to be a Grand Slam wouldn't you have to define which competitions should be included. I'm not sure if people would put WSM and Scotland in the same league as Blackpool and Ceroc.

Bex
25th-October-2006, 11:05 AM
For it to be a Grand Slam wouldn't you have to define which competitions should be included. I'm not sure if people would put WSM and Scotland in the same league as Blackpool and Ceroc.

I know what you are saying Gus, but if the standard of competitors are the same in all the competitions does it really matter? After all the same effort, time and preparation goes into each comp from the dancers.

Patrick
25th-October-2006, 11:26 AM

What point are you making here then ?:whistle:
I expect you guess the same as me then! I understand that Ballroom competitions are (allegedly) rife with favoritism and corruption, eg the winners have been fixed beforehand. I do believe, and sincerely hope, that this is not the case in MJ.

Simon and Nicole came 2nd in the Open this year, which is what we are talking about I guess. Phil & Yuko came 1st.

I believe there is a generally understood 'Big Five' annual UK MJ competion circuit. Which I took to be:

Blackpool Chance to Dance Open Jive Competition - March
Hammermsith UK Ceroc Champs - April/May
Weston-super-Mare UK Leroc Championships - July
Musselburgh (Edinburgh) Ceroc Scottish Champs - September
Brighton Brit Rock Independent MJ Competition - October

I expect Hammersmith and Blackpool would be the 'Top 2' in terms of prestige, but I think WSM had more entries than Ceroc Scottish or Brit Rock. WSM certainly had plenty of top couples from the national circuit.

Patrick :flower:

PS, I'm not sure how Beach Boogie, Jive Masters fit(ted) into this...

Gus
25th-October-2006, 11:29 AM
I know what you are saying Gus, but if the standard of competitors are the same in all the competitions does it really matter? After all the same effort, time and preparation goes into each comp from the dancers.Agree .. to an extent. The two things that make a competition (besides variations in rules) is the standrad of the COMPETITORS and the standard of the JUDGES. On that basis, are all competitions still equal? :whistle:

Bex
25th-October-2006, 11:42 AM
Agree .. to an extent. The two things that make a competition (besides variations in rules) is the standrad of the COMPETITORS and the standard of the JUDGES. On that basis, are all competitions still equal? :whistle:

True, true........hadn't taken into account the judging standard. I was looking at it from Nicole and Simon's point of view of who they are up against in their heats, not who they are up against behind a clipboard.

alex
25th-October-2006, 11:53 AM
Agree .. to an extent. The two things that make a competition (besides variations in rules) is the standrad of the COMPETITORS and the standard of the JUDGES. On that basis, are all competitions still equal? :whistle:

apparently weston had carol haines, phil webb, will & kate, david & lily, kerrin (ginger jive) and a professional ballroom judge.

if that isnt a high standard, then what is?

Patrick
25th-October-2006, 11:55 AM

So what are you saying then Gus?

I have only been aware of who some of the judges were so far at the WSM competition. At least 3 of those were people of the highest integrity and skill in my view (David & Lily B, Kerrin). But clearly the organisers choice of judges could influence the result.

Bloody hell, I've just seen the previous post, I didn't know who the other judges were at the time! :respect:
http://www.ballphotos.com/LeRocUK2006/Finals/YK8I8404.jpg.html
http://www.ballphotos.com/LeRocUK2006/Finals/YK8I8403.jpg.html

Bex
25th-October-2006, 11:56 AM
apparently weston had carol haines, phil webb, will & kate, david & lily, kerrin (ginger jive) and a professional ballroom judge.

We had Dave & Lily B, Will & Kate, Nicole & Simon and Sparkles for our Twyford DWAS, can we be the number 6 comp on the list then!! :D

Gus
25th-October-2006, 12:07 PM
So what are you saying then Gus?

I have only been aware of who some of the judges were so far at the WSM competition. At least 3 of those were people of the highest integrity and skill in my view (David & Lily B, Kerrin). But clearly the organisers choice of judges could influence the result.Wewll .. the Ceroc Midlands Champs are on shortly (sorry ... shouldn't laugh) ... now should they be included in the Grand Slam? Any comments re standard of competitiors or judges?

Patrick
25th-October-2006, 12:17 PM
Wewll .. the Ceroc Midlands Champs are on shortly (sorry ... shouldn't laugh) ... now should they be included in the Grand Slam? Any comments re standard of competitiors or judges?

You're still not saying Gus! So who are the Ceroc Midlands Judges? What do you think of them?

Have a look at:

http://www.ballphotos.com/LeRocUK2006/Finals/YK8I8403.jpg.html
http://www.ballphotos.com/LeRocUK2006/Finals/YK8I8404.jpg.html

Martin & Naomi, unanimous Salsa Category winners :respect: :respect: , and the WSM judging panel in the background. :respect: :respect:

And the organiser Sherif Uthman. Good choices I think!
The results:
http://www.leroc2000.co.uk/2006%20results.html

Gus
25th-October-2006, 12:39 PM
You're still not saying Gus! So who are the Ceroc Midlands Judges? What do you think of them?Not saying what?:confused: :confused: Can't comment on the Midlands judges as Ceroc never tell you who the judges are!! I wasn't commenting on the rest as I havent seen the lines ups (and I'm actualy that bothered). As Alex says the Judges for WSM are mainly well known dance experts and competitors. The same goes for Blackpool. I have seen some dire judging panels.

Do you know who is judging The Midlands. I wouldn't hold my breath for top line competitiors but I'm open to be corrected on that.

David Bailey
25th-October-2006, 12:48 PM
We had Dave & Lily B, Will & Kate, Nicole & Simon and Sparkles for our Twyford DWAS, can we be the number 6 comp on the list then!! :D
That's nuffink.

Cheshunt DWAS had me and Lory as judges last year. That should definitely be number 7 on the list.

What was the question again?

Simon
25th-October-2006, 01:05 PM
What was the question again?Can't remember! :sad: You ask a straightforward question in this place and someone like Gus jumps in and starts his usual rant about the quality of competitions/judging panels/judges' credentials/conspiracy/conspiracy, etc. etc. :tears: How disappointing. :whistle:

Freya
25th-October-2006, 01:25 PM
What is the standard behind other Grand slam competitions ie tennis.

Technically shouldn't a competition from each of the UK countries be included?

Freya
25th-October-2006, 01:32 PM
Ok according to Wikipedia the font of all knowledge!!!!!

In tennis, a singles player or doubles team is said to have achieved the True Grand Slam if they succeed in winning all four of the following championship titles in the same calendar year or just "Grand Slam" by owning all four at the same time:

Australian Open
French Open
Wimbledon
U.S. Open

These tournaments are therefore also known as the Grand Slam tournaments. They rank as the most important tennis tournaments of the year in the public mind, as well as in terms of world ranking points and prize-money awarded. The titles are known as Grand Slam titles.

The expression Grand Slam, initially used to describe the winning of the tennis major events in one calendar year, was later incorporated by other sports, notably golf, to describe a similar accomplishment

Ok so going by this it's the major competitions not whos judging, or the standard of the competition but the tournament as a whole!

Therefore surely in modern jive technically what Simon is talking bout is probably correct because these are the comps that everyone knows about! But only in the UK!

Patrick
25th-October-2006, 02:55 PM
Not saying what?:confused: :confused: Can't comment on the Midlands judges as Ceroc never tell you who the judges are!! I wasn't commenting on the rest as I havent seen the lines ups (and I'm actualy that bothered). As Alex says the Judges for WSM are mainly well known dance experts and competitors. The same goes for Blackpool. I have seen some dire judging panels.

Do you know who is judging The Midlands. I wouldn't hold my breath for top line competitiors but I'm open to be corrected on that.

You appear to be avoiding saying that you think the judges in some competitions (Ceroc in particular maybe?) are not well qualified or biased? I have heard it said (maybe by you!) that Ceroc competitions tend to use mostly Ceroc teachers as judges, and are therefore biased towards Ceroc couples rather than Leroc/independent trained. I've no idea if this is true or not.

I don't know who the Ceroc Midlands judges are, and you are right that they are not mentioned on the competition website:
http://www.cerocmidlands.co.uk/midlandschamps.htm
I doubt Midlands would see themselves as Grand Slam yet, as this is their first competition.

I've no idea who is competing the Midlands (apart from me and my partner) and all the regulars I've asked are not doing it. As I've said before I don't do competitions to win. As long as there are some nice people there having a fun time, and the judges are fair, I'll be happy. And if there aren't any top line competitors, we may have a chance of getting past the first round, which would be rewarding. I don't mind not winning, but coming *maybe* last is harder to take!

Gus
25th-October-2006, 03:02 PM
You appear to be avoiding saying that you think the judges in some competitions (Ceroc in particular maybe?) are not well qualified or biased?Why would I be saying/avoiding saying that?:confused: :confused: I was originally responding to Bex (respected CTA Godess)... I think we ended up agreeing with each other. I'm not sure why you think I'm on a Burn the Ceroc Scum At The Stake mission. Some of my best friends have been to a Ceroc club ... or maybe at least been in the vicinity of one :wink:

Stuart M
25th-October-2006, 03:07 PM
Ok according to Wikipedia the font of all knowledge!!!!!

"...The expression Grand Slam, initially used to describe the winning of the tennis major events in one calendar year, was later incorporated by other sports, notably golf, to describe a similar accomplishment"

Wiki is a bit of a cracked fountain at times - the term originates in contract bridge, and refers to winning all thirteen tricks in a hand. Also, the first known reference to a grand slam in golf dates from 1930, three years before the first mention in tennis circles. Neither copied the other - both journalists concerned were borrowing the bridge term.

I don't think you can really have a MJ Grand Slam - none of the comps have been around long enough yet. More importantly, there aren't enough comps around anyway* to filter out 3 or 4 "Majors", which is the reasoning behind the concept in sports like tennis or golf.

*And heaven help us if there were IMO

Freya
25th-October-2006, 03:10 PM
Wiki is a bit of a cracked fountain at times - the term originates in contract bridge, and refers to winning all thirteen tricks in a hand. Also, the first known reference to a grand slam in golf dates from 1930, three years before the first mention in tennis circles. Neither copied the other - both journalists concerned were borrowing the bridge term.

I don't think you can really have a MJ Grand Slam - none of the comps have been around long enough yet. More importantly, there aren't enough comps around anyway to filter out 3 or 4 "Majors", which is the reasoning behind the concept in sports like tennis or golf.

Thanx stuart! That clears up some stuff! I Think your right in saying that as a country we don't have enough major comps to have a grand slam!

David Bailey
25th-October-2006, 03:43 PM
I don't know who the Ceroc Midlands judges are, and you are right that they are not mentioned on the competition website:
http://www.cerocmidlands.co.uk/midlandschamps.htm
I doubt Midlands would see themselves as Grand Slam yet, as this is their first competition.
I'm just tickled pink at the thought that there's hotshottery amongst competitions themselves. .. :rofl:

tiger
25th-October-2006, 04:46 PM
hottshottery amongst competitors....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DJ does it again. You are on top form,keep posting them.

Patrick
25th-October-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm just tickled pink at the thought that there's hotshottery amongst competitions themselves. .. :rofl:

You betcha! I wouldn't want to enter any competition that would accept me as a competitor! :D

Patrick
25th-October-2006, 06:55 PM

And the winners were:

Blackpool 2005 - Phil & Yuko
Hammersmith 2005 - Phil & Yuko
WSM 2005 - Phil & Yuko
Scottish 2005 - Phil & Denise McGuire (Simon and Nicole 2nd)
Brit Rock 2005 - Simon & Lisa (Phil & Yuko 2nd)
Blackpool 2006 - Phil & Yuko
Hammersmith 2006 - Phil & Yuko
WSM 2006 - Simon & Nicole (Phil on judging panel)
Scottish 2006 - Simon & Nicole
Brit Rock 2006 - Simon & Nicole

So it looks like it hasn't been done so far, but could well be!

Of course, if you take it to be a calendar year, S&N have to start again in March... But 5 in a row would also be awesome.

I would assume that if partners change, that entry doesn't count.

Phil & Yuko teach at one of my local venues. I recall they were considered undisputed UK MJ Champs this year, I believe on account of winning both Blackpool and Ceroc Hammersmith in the same year. On that count, they were the champs 2005 and 2006.

I also understood that Jive Masters (invitation only) competition was supposed to be the real bees knees. Only profesionals, competition winners and very good people. Winners:

Viktor Andeke & Carol Haines 2004
Nicki Haslam & Robert Winter 2003

I assume it didn't run in 2005/6. anyone know why?

PS Re the odds, it would be nice to know if S&N actually plan to enter... and also whether P&Y will enter. Given that S&N haven't won Blackpool or Hammersmith yet, and P&Y have twice, I think they still have their work cut out! OTOH, if P&Y don't enter, I think S&N have a very good chance of the 'Grand Slam' (consecutive 5 random competitions version!)

cutey
26th-October-2006, 10:27 AM
Well Good Morning to all you eager posters....

Simon and I are over the moon with what we have achieved to date:waycool: .... yes it would be fantastic and an would great to achieve "The Grand Slam" as you all call it.

However, I am sorry to say this,,,,, you will all have to wait and see if we decide to enter or not:what:

Recently the level of competitors purely from UK has become very strong, so we certainly have our work cut out let alone if those from Oz and/or USA come over:eek:

BUT I will say this, IF and I mean IF we decide to enter..... thanks for adding on the additional pressure to WIN:eek:

Cutey :flower:

David Bailey
26th-October-2006, 11:03 AM
Phil & Yuko teach at one of my local venues. I recall they were considered undisputed UK MJ Champs this year,
Blimey, it's worse than boxing :confused:

Re: Jive Masters

I assume it didn't run in 2005/6. anyone know why?
Adam (cerocmetro) didn't run it in 2005 - here's a thread about it (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5142).

I don't think it'll happen in 2006 either, so it's probably an ex-competition.

But if we're talking about competitions, shouldn't we include the Australia / NZ ones? They're big on that sort of thing I understand...

Stuart M
26th-October-2006, 11:10 AM
Blimey, it's worse than boxing :confused:

You can just hear it, can't you?

"Let's get ready to rrrrrumbaaaaaa...!"

John S
26th-October-2006, 11:17 AM
Phil & Yuko ........... were considered undisputed UK MJ Champs this year, I believe on account of winning both Blackpool and Ceroc Hammersmith in the same year. On that count, they were the champs 2005 and 2006.

Phil came to Perth last year to practice with Denise before the Scotland competition, which of course they won.

I was taxi-ing and helping at the front desk when he came in. I thought he looked vaguely familiar but didn't recognise him, so I asked if he had danced anywhere before. He just smiled a little and said that he had.

Doh!!:blush: :blush:

TheTramp
26th-October-2006, 11:39 AM
Re: Jive Masters

I don't think it'll happen in 2006 either, so it's probably an ex-competition.

But if we're talking about competitions, shouldn't we include the Australia / NZ ones? They're big on that sort of thing I understand...

Was speaking to Adam at the Scottish comps, and he is intending to run the Jive Masters again next year.

And yes, I think that the Aussie comps should be included :whistle:

Patrick
26th-October-2006, 01:15 PM
Well Good Morning to all you eager posters....
Good morning Nicole, thanks for your interest. It's good to have some actual information rather than all this idle speculation!

Simon and I are over the moon with what we have achieved to date:waycool: .... yes it would be fantastic and an would great to achieve "The Grand Slam" as you all call it.
As a relative newcomer to all this (1yr) I am a little shamefaced to admit I didn't really know who you & Simon were till I saw you at Breeze...:blush: When I saw your cabaret, I didn't know whether to be inspired by, or pack my bags there and then! :eek: :eek: Now I see that my local heroes Phil & Yuko have some serious 'competition'. :rolleyes: (Don't tell anyone, but I still don't know who Simon Borland is :wink: )

However, I am sorry to say this,,,,, you will all have to wait and see if we decide to enter or not:what:
I'm glad I didn't place that bet now! But I bet you will....

Recently the level of competitors purely from UK has become very strong, so we certainly have our work cut out let alone if those from Oz and/or USA come over:eek:
Yes, I think this should be a very British thing! I didn't know it was turning into a World Champs affair.
(I think I would be :eek: :eek: ing too. ;) )

BUT I will say this, IF and I mean IF we decide to enter..... thanks for adding on the additional pressure to WIN:eek:
Cutey :flower:
As they say - No Pressure! It's just a bit of fun after all...:whistle: And it's the taking part that counts :nice:

I know this is small beer, but I turned up to the Scottish Champs to compete with an excellent partner I'd never met before. She is well known to the locals. My first greeting from one of her mates was "The pride of Scotland is on your head son!" No Pressure...

Thanks for the excellent workshop on Sunday, I will be back. One thing I didn't realise is how hard the likes of you and Simon have worked at this for years. So I'm sure the results you are getting are well deserved. :respect:

I went to my regular Ceroc class on Tuesday, and practised the move you showed us on Sunday at the start of the evening with my new partner. In the Intermediate class, the teacher taught a "Simon & Nicole competition move" which was remarkably similar... Could just have been coincidence of course! Now I have two variants to remember/confuse for the next competition :eek: :eek: Afraid I've slightly overlooked Simon's advice about taking it easy on competitions :blush: Hey, I have a new partner! :D If we are lucky we will get about 1 hour's practice before the competition! :clap: :clap: We will be fine! :waycool: But I think we will be :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: rather than :tears: :tears: !

Best wishes

robd
26th-October-2006, 01:38 PM
Patrick

Have you been to Taz's workshop on 'Using smilies when posting to the Forum' by any chance? :D

Rob

Patrick
26th-October-2006, 03:14 PM
Patrick

Have you been to Taz's workshop on 'Using smilies when posting to the Forum' by any chance? :D

Rob
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Perhaps unWittyingly! :rolleyes:

First Taz :whistle: :whistle: lures a simple innocent :innocent: :innocent: :o like me onto the forum :what: from the steps of HMS President :sick: , then onto the Singleton's Sofa :awe: :love: :tears: Alice! :yum: :hug: :kiss: Fletch!... then to the Simon :respect: & Nicole :worthy: workshop :waycool: at Bow :what: on Sunday :clap: :clap: . I thought :confused: it was just a dance workshop.... :really: :mad: :confused: :rolleyes: :whistle:

I think :confused: she's secretly :whistle: :whistle: brainwashing me :innocent: to do something dastardly... :( :devil: :devil: she's a Devil :devil: thatTaz! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :cool:

Patrick :flower: :cheers: :nice: :) ;)

PS Do you think the workshop was worth it then? :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
PPS I don't go in for much :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: or :na: :na: - so unseemly :( :grin:

TheTramp
26th-October-2006, 03:16 PM
£20 to the person who removes the : key from his computer!!

(And the option to click on the smilies too)

Patrick
26th-October-2006, 03:44 PM
£20 to the person who removes the : key from his computer!!

(And the option to click on the smilies too)

I'll have you know I did a whole serious post up there without a single smiley!

I'm under the spell of the Tazmanian :devil:

I've just realised you can put smileys in rep comments too. Thanks Rob!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Any advance on £20 anyone?