PDA

View Full Version : The need for competition in London

Gus
24th-October-2006, 01:14 PM
With all the flim flam about SB's new venture, I was wondering about the positive aspects of a challenge to Ceroc HQ. In a number of areas, Newcastle, N West, Sheffield competition has led to an improvement in teaching / music / venue ... in some cases. My personal view was that there is a fair amount of variety in London and surrounding areas already ... but I'm not a regular. Are there things that Ceroc, or competitiors, could be doing to improve things?

Dan Hudson
24th-October-2006, 01:20 PM
more venues run by the might of Ceroc Greenwich:eek: :rofl: :rofl:

Gus
24th-October-2006, 01:25 PM
more venues run by the might of Ceroc Greenwich:eek: :rofl: :rofl:
As long as you provide translators .... and mops to clean up after the lads drooling over the hot babes as your clubs :wink:

straycat
24th-October-2006, 01:33 PM
In a number of areas, Newcastle, N West, Sheffield competition has led to an improvement in teaching / music / venue ... in some cases.

Newcastle? Competition? I think I must be missing something...

David Bailey
24th-October-2006, 02:07 PM
I think there's more than enough ruthless competition between different Ceroc franchisees in London already - no need for anybody else to wade in.

Gus
24th-October-2006, 02:08 PM
Newcastle? Competition? I think I must be missing something...Around the end of last year there was Ceroc, Blitz and three independant clubs ... around 6 nights within 15 miles .... all seems to have fallen apart since then.:sad:

straycat
24th-October-2006, 02:15 PM
Around the end of last year there was Ceroc, Blitz and three independant clubs ... around 6 nights within 15 miles .... all seems to have fallen apart since then.:sad:

Shows how good (not good) their advertising was - I never saw hide nor hair of the three indies... and I like to think we're pretty clued up on the local scene. Not clued up enough at that point, it would seem :(

Gus
24th-October-2006, 02:20 PM
Shows how good (not good) their advertising was - I never saw hide nor hair of the three indies... and I like to think we're pretty clued up on the local scene. Not clued up enough at that point, it would seem :(Well, as I said, a few have fallen by the wayside and I know Ceroc dropped a night but the map on ModernJive.com still shows 5 nights between Newcastle/Sunderland (see http://modernjive.com/Maps/map85t-8.html)

straycat
24th-October-2006, 02:32 PM
Aaaaah. Those indies :blush:

Easy mistake I mean.... it's not like ever we've taught at .... er .... more than one of them ....

And no-one goes to Sunderland anyway :whistle:

Oh look! A deep hole to dig myself further into :sick:

Gus
24th-October-2006, 04:00 PM
Is Jango competiton or a complimentary form? From my past experience I think it helps o keep the more experienced MJers still in the MJ dancing pool. What I think is lacking in London is a Blues night. Didn't Dave and Val run a Blues night on a Wednesday for a while. If some brave soul could run a regular Blues class/freestyle on a Firday ... would the dancers come?

David Bailey
24th-October-2006, 04:06 PM
Is Jango competiton or a complimentary form?
Complimentary, definitely. Everyone tells each other how great they are.

Chef
24th-October-2006, 04:35 PM
What I think is lacking in London is a Blues night. Didn't Dave and Val run a Blues night on a Wednesday for a while. If some brave soul could run a regular Blues class/freestyle on a Firday ... would the dancers come?

I would certainly want to come along (with my partner as well). I do find that journeys into London are quite difficult for me and the whole thing is quite tiring at the end of a working week but for something of high quality and that I really want to do (like Hipsters friday freestyle) then I am prepared to go the extra mile.

What would be really great would be a blues dance night that goes on from 1am until 5am on a Saturday evening. I could rest on the saturday, attend a dance on the saturday evening and then make my way to the blues dance to round things off.

If you are thinking of doing something about it Gus then if you email people at http\\www.bluesrevolution.co.uk then I think you will find people that think like yourself.

Let me know if anything happens.

El Salsero Gringo
24th-October-2006, 05:07 PM
Complimentary, definitely. Everyone tells each other how great they are.You'll have to slow done on those.. I've run out of rep.

under par
24th-October-2006, 05:13 PM
The need for competition in London!!!

What about the one at Hammersmith every March/April! :wink:

tiger
24th-October-2006, 05:18 PM
DJ+ESG, posts 11+13,
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

have some rep gentlemen.

robd
24th-October-2006, 05:28 PM
What would be really great would be a blues dance night that goes on from 1am until 5am on a Saturday evening. I could rest on the saturday, attend a dance on the saturday evening and then make my way to the blues dance to round things off.

Great idea Chef. I was trying to list freestyles where someone who is keen to dance to more slower music (not just Blues) could attend and I struggled. Daventry, Chiswick, Putney Tea Dance? There certainly seems to be a greater interest in these kind of rooms, perhaps springing from the increased number of weekenders. Whether it's enough to make a regular night a financial success I don't know.

Robert

Gus
24th-October-2006, 06:15 PM
If you are thinking of doing something about it Gus then if you email people at http\\www.bluesrevolution.co.uk then I think you will find people that think like yourself. .Nah .. not me ... I don't even live in London :rolleyes:

SilverFox
24th-October-2006, 07:12 PM
What I think is lacking in London is a Blues night. If some brave soul could run a regular Blues class/freestyle on a Firday ... would the dancers come?Well you'll soon find out, when a monthly event called Utopia launches on Friday 12 January 2007.....:cool:

David Bailey
24th-October-2006, 07:43 PM
Various promises
Yeah, yeah, heard it all before:

"I'll rep you when I get some more allocation"
"I've run out of rep points for today"
"My computers washing its hair"

Hmmph. This must be how StrayCat feels all the time.

:sad:

El Salsero Gringo
24th-October-2006, 07:46 PM
Well you'll soon find out, when a monthly event called Utopia launches on Friday 12 January 2007.....:cool:...if you can call Twickenham, London :whistle:

WittyBird
24th-October-2006, 07:54 PM
Well you'll soon find out, when a monthly event called Utopia launches on Friday 12 January 2007.....:cool:

That'll be Here Then (www.utopiadance.co.uk) will it SF?

I think it's a great idea and will be giving it my full support every monthly freestyle :clap:

Miguel
24th-October-2006, 07:55 PM
Well you'll soon find out, when a monthly event called Utopia launches on Friday 12 January 2007.....:cool:

Just found your website and I hope it's a HUGE success. Looks like I'll be arriving one day late at Bognor.

ESG please post the link - they don't seem to censor you.:wink:

WittyBird
24th-October-2006, 07:56 PM
ESG please post the link - they don't seem to censor you.:wink:

I already did :eek:

El Salsero Gringo
24th-October-2006, 08:00 PM
they don't seem to censor you.:wink:It's a bitch, that, isn't it?

SilverFox
24th-October-2006, 08:11 PM
...if you can call Twickenham, London :whistle:The London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. You'll notice I've highlighted the relevant word for your convenience Donkey Boy.

Just cos you won't travel more than about 3 feet to get to a dance event.

"Me, go to a weekender? Pah! Why would I do that?"

"Dear Mr Ellard, can I be your official Ceroc photographer pretty please? Camber Sands? It's almost on my doorstep...."

WittyBird
24th-October-2006, 08:14 PM

That's hardly true Vince, ESG was seen at Cruella's Polar Freestyle @ Daventry, Also Hammersmith and MH are more than 3 feet from his house :D

Cruella
24th-October-2006, 08:18 PM
So Silverfox, does this mean you are going to lower yourself to playing some WCS swing for the snooty crowd?

David Bailey
24th-October-2006, 08:19 PM
Bloody hellfire, that's what I call advance planning :respect:

Now, you're absolutely sure it's not celebrating your 250th rummage or something? Just checking - I wouldn't want to feel violated.

Cruella
24th-October-2006, 08:20 PM
ESG was seen at Cruella's Polar Freestyle @ Daventry
Thats my claim to fame, getting both ESG and David James to travel all the way up to the midlands!! :rolleyes:

SilverFox
24th-October-2006, 08:21 PM
That's hardly true Vince, ESG was seen at Cruella's Polar Freestyle @ Daventry, He was there under duress.......

Thanks for the shameless plug btw. :cheers:

It saves me having to invite you all to celebrate the anniversary of my fifteenth rummage in the Greater London area since I bought my silver shoes.

Surely nobody would be dumb enough to have fallen for that.... :devil:

EDIT: Snap! Crikey DJ, are you sure you haven't been studying at the feet of the master?...

Miguel
24th-October-2006, 08:22 PM

From the website: 8pm - 12.30pm

That's 16 plus hours for 8 quid. What a bargain:clap:

WittyBird
24th-October-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the shameless plug btw. :cheers:

That's ok, I will shamelessly plug anything I believe in. Now where did I put those fliers, Or did I give them out at the Hippodrome on Friday night :wink:

SilverFox
24th-October-2006, 08:25 PM
So Silverfox, does this mean you are going to lower yourself to playing some WCS swing for the snooty crowd?Don't be daft!

Rocky can do that. :na:

David Bailey
24th-October-2006, 08:30 PM
Thats my claim to fame, getting both ESG and David James to travel all the way up to the midlands!! :rolleyes:
Do you mind? I'm still traumatised. :sick:

Grumble, no-one ever told me there was anywhere else but Finchley, grumble...

Cruella
24th-October-2006, 08:32 PM
Now, you're absolutely sure it's not celebrating your 250th rummage or something? Just checking - I wouldn't want to feel violated.

It saves me having to invite you all to celebrate the anniversary of my fifteenth rummage in the Greater London area since I bought my silver shoes.

DJ, your obviously completely overestimating SFs rummaging skills!!

David Bailey
24th-October-2006, 08:34 PM
Evil minds think alike. Of course, now everyone's trying to work out how long you've had your shoes for...

From the website: 8pm - 12.30pm

That's 16 plus hours for 8 quid. What a bargain:clap:
Hey, Master Vince knows how to paaaarrrtttyy.

Of course, if it doesn't go on for 16.5 hours, I'll be the first to complain how I was deceived and abused by the evil manipulative psycho twins.

Cruella
24th-October-2006, 08:34 PM
Do you mind? I'm still traumatised. :sick:

That trauma is due to the fact that people actually paid to dance with you!

SilverFox
24th-October-2006, 08:35 PM

DJ, your obviously completely overestimating SFs rummaging skills!!...only bought them a week last Tuesday.....

:devil:

EDIT: Snap again!! DJ you're scaring me now!! Really! :eek:

Juju
24th-October-2006, 08:39 PM

Actually, it sounds jolly good. Wish it wasn't so far away! Best of luck with it.

Dammit, am I being nice to you again?

:eek:

David Bailey
24th-October-2006, 08:46 PM
That trauma is due to the fact that people actually paid to dance with you!
Only two. :tears:

And one of them didn't claim it either, the teasing hussy.

I felt abused.

(Wonder how many times we'll hear that one... :whistle: )

Mind you, I paid to dance with her too but kept the token - was that too stalker-y? :eek:

Feelingpink
24th-October-2006, 08:48 PM
EDIT: Snap again!! DJ you're scaring me now!! Really! :eek:Don't worry. It's just that DJ has (fly)posted so much in the past two days that it just increases the odds of him agreeing with people. Perhaps he's on half term hols. :what:

El Salsero Gringo
25th-October-2006, 08:57 AM
The London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. You'll notice I've highlighted the relevant word for your convenience Donkey Boy.Pah. It's not got a London postcode - TW2 6LS, in fact. (Hilighted, ditto.) So the Royal Mail obviously don't think it's in London.

"Me, go to a weekender? Pah! Why would I do that?"

"Dear Mr Ellard, can I be your official Ceroc photographer pretty please? Camber Sands? It's almost on my doorstep...."Obviously I'll travel if you make it worth my while. Besides, Camber be damned - I had to drive all the way to Somerset for Breeze.

Groovy Dancer
25th-October-2006, 02:40 PM
Bloody hellfire, that's what I call advance planning :respect:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Minnie M
25th-October-2006, 02:46 PM
...if you can call Twickenham, London :whistle:
Not far from central London very easy to get to, near a station and parking ............. :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
25th-October-2006, 03:03 PM
Not far from central London very easy to get to, near a station and parking ............. :whistle:Look, Paris isn't very far from Central London by that criterion. Although I think I would make an exception for the opening night of this one and go anyway, if I didn't have family commitments on a Friday evening.

David Bailey
25th-October-2006, 03:24 PM
Look, Paris isn't very far from Central London by that criterion.
Clearly, the only criterion a true Londiner would ask is:
"Is is South Of The River?".

By that count, Daventry and Southport and Scotland are all OK - but Twickenham? That's weird and foreign, that is.

under par
25th-October-2006, 03:29 PM
Clearly, the only criterion a true Londiner would ask is:
"Is is South Of The River?".

By that count, Daventry and Southport and Scotland are all OK - but Twickenham? That's weird and foreign, that is.

Surely the only Criterion for a londoner is the theatre at Piccadilly Circus:blush:

Rocky
25th-October-2006, 05:38 PM
Well now, this is all very new! Don't quite know how to use the quote stuff just yet, but in answer to Gus, no Val and I never have run a regular blues night. We always thought that there wouldn't be the support for it.

Having said that, what we've seen over the last two years is a huge increase in poeple wanting to dance to slower tempo music, as evidenced at the big weekenders. So we thought we would give it a go.

We're aiming at established dancers as well as trying to encourage new people to step up to the 'chill out challenge', as we do know that it is very daunting to find your feet initially.

SF has been taking all the flack for the times being 8pm to 12.30pm but that was my fault (maybe wishful thinking?) so that should have obviously read 8pm to 12.30am.

Val and I have not really been active on the forum up until now but we do recognize that with the launch of the new night that we need to be more accessible to those of you who will have queeries or questions - so feel free to get in contact.

Rocky
25th-October-2006, 05:44 PM
By the way, if I've stolen someone else's avatar, acn someone tell me please? When you scroll through them it doesn't tell you if any of them are already being used. Just thought that a fat bloke with a beard would be about right for me.

ducasi
25th-October-2006, 06:02 PM
By the way, if I've stolen someone else's avatar, acn someone tell me please? When you scroll through them it doesn't tell you if any of them are already being used. Just thought that a fat bloke with a beard would be about right for me.
McJester (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/member.php?u=1281) uses the same avatar – though if he wasn't so cheap he could use the fencing one he has as a profile picture... :na:

Oh, and welcome to the forum Rocky! :cheers:

Rocky
25th-October-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks!

Do you think he'll be offended if I carry on using it? It's so me.

ducasi
25th-October-2006, 06:15 PM
Do you think he'll be offended if I carry on using it? It's so me.
Nah... Anyhow, he's shaved off his beard since he started using it, so he is misrepresenting himself!

Tiggerbabe
25th-October-2006, 09:33 PM
It's so me.
Looks just like ya :hug:

El Salsero Gringo
25th-October-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks!

Do you think he'll be offended if I carry on using it? No... on condition that you wear a helmet like that next time you DJ.

angelblue
26th-October-2006, 12:41 AM

HHmm.... Please tell more, very interested in this one

WittyBird
26th-October-2006, 12:53 AM
HHmm.... Please tell more, very interested in this one

See Below :clap:

That'll be Here Then (www.utopiadance.co.uk) will it SF?

I think it's a great idea and will be giving it my full support every monthly freestyle :clap:

Rocky
26th-October-2006, 08:12 AM
No... on condition that you wear a helmet like that next time you DJ.

Ok, but next time I'm DJing is Twickenham on Monday and I've got a sneaking suspicion that you won't be there to see it.

Lou
26th-October-2006, 09:27 AM
Besides, Camber be damned - I had to drive all the way to Somerset for Breeze.
There's no need to boast! :whistle:

David Bailey
26th-October-2006, 09:40 AM
So is this Utopia a Ceroc thing or an independent thing? It's not clear from the site...

robd
26th-October-2006, 12:03 PM

WB, is there a monthly freestyle that you don't give your full support to? :whistle:

Cruella
26th-October-2006, 12:26 PM
WB, is there a monthly freestyle that you don't give your full support to? :whistle:

Not a freestyle, just her boobs!

Rocky
26th-October-2006, 12:31 PM
So is this Utopia a Ceroc thing or an independent thing? It's not clear from the site...

Hi DJ, no we are doing it conjunction with Ceroc and it does have Mike's full suppport. We have deliberately played down the Ceroc connection on the holding page (although this won't be the case on the main site when it's launched next month) so that people don't assume that it will be just a normal Ceroc night.

Mine and Val's teaching style has always been more towards blues anyway so this is a natural extension of the way we dance and the music we love to dance to. It's also a natural progression for Ceroc to give people an alterantive dance night that fits more with how MJ is developing.

There's been a move towrads Blues, WCS, Jango and latin over the last 2 years and this has seen more dancers frequenting the chill out rooms at weekenders across the Country. So this is hopefully a way of encouraging even more people to get into this style of dancing on a regular basis. We know it's daunting for people to start and that's why we are also trying to encourage new chill out dancers to dance alongside those that are more experienced.

We think that the time is right now for a regular freestyle of this type and thought that it was worth trying. But I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Gus
26th-October-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi DJ, no we are doing it conjunction with Ceroc and it does have Mike's full suppport. .....There's been a move towrads Blues, WCS, Jango and latin over the last 2 years and this has seen more dancers frequenting the chill out rooms at weekenders across the Country. ....We think that the time is right now for a regular freestyle of this type and thought that it was worth trying. But I guess we'll have to wait and see!Excellent!:grin: A perfect example of Ceroc moving to incorprate competition/customer requirements. Given the popularity and expertise of Dave and Val I'm sure it will be a great success. I really hope its supported .... use it or lose it is the maxim that tends to apply. I still feel for Pete Philips who put a lot of hard work into a similar project but was not supported by the dancing public.

ducasi
26th-October-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi DJ, no we are doing it conjunction with Ceroc and it does have Mike's full suppport. [...]
Interesting that what was meant to be a discussion on the need for competition to Ceroc in London turns into a discussion on a Ceroc-associated event in London(-ish)... ;)

David Bailey
26th-October-2006, 01:29 PM
There's been a move towrads Blues, WCS, Jango and latin over the last 2 years and this has seen more dancers frequenting the chill out rooms at weekenders across the Country. So this is hopefully a way of encouraging even more people to get into this style of dancing on a regular basis. We know it's daunting for people to start and that's why we are also trying to encourage new chill out dancers to dance alongside those that are more experienced.
I wonder if maybe "chillout" is a good description? I'm not a big fan of the chillout room in Chiswick, it's never worked for me. And, to me "Blues, WCS, Jango and latin" covers a lot of ground - more so than "standard Ceroc music" in fact.

I agree that there has been a move in that direction - actually I'd say "moves" to "these directions" - but I don't know how much of a unified market this is. WCS dancers (snooty people that they are) aren't the same as Tango dancers (wonderful people that they are) and so on.

Still, it's great that this will be happening - good luck for the New Year.

WittyBird
26th-October-2006, 04:24 PM

Not a freestyle, just her boobs!

:yeah: think that answers your question GobD :D But if you've got it flaunt it :yum:

(not that you'd know)

robd
26th-October-2006, 04:39 PM
But if you've got it flaunt it :yum:

(not that you'd know)

Maybe, but the sofa occupants at Daventry in the early hours of Sunday certainly would :eek:

WittyBird
26th-October-2006, 04:40 PM
Maybe, but the sofa occupants at Daventry in the early hours of Sunday certainly would :eek:

That wasn't me :blush: Blame Fletch :D

Lory
26th-October-2006, 04:41 PM
Looks just like ya :hug::yeah: Only slightly better looking :wink:

alterantive dance night

Right up Dj's street then! :devil:

Anyway, welcome to the forum Rocky :hug: and I'd like to say, i'm really looking forward to new night, I hope its a great success! :cheers:

Cruella
26th-October-2006, 04:44 PM

:rofl: I'd forgotten all about that :rofl: Thanks for giving me that flashback!:sick:

WittyBird
26th-October-2006, 04:47 PM
:rofl: I'd forgotten all about that :rofl: Thanks for giving me that flashback!:sick:

Hey they're a great pair I just wish I was given the opportunity to flash them myself :rofl:

Frankie_4711
26th-October-2006, 05:48 PM
Would really love to try this new Utopia thing, but it's a bit too far for me to go. With a hubby who doesn't dance, I find myself having to sacrifice some of my dancing to keep things quiet(ish!) at home.:tears:

Really hope it's a success though - so much so that more and more start cropping up ... preferably a bit closer to me!

Rocky
26th-October-2006, 05:52 PM
I wonder if maybe "chillout" is a good description? I'm not a big fan of the chillout room in Chiswick, it's never worked for me. And, to me "Blues, WCS, Jango and latin" covers a lot of ground - more so than "standard Ceroc music" in fact.

I agree that there has been a move in that direction - actually I'd say "moves" to "these directions" - but I don't know how much of a unified market this is. WCS dancers (snooty people that they are) aren't the same as Tango dancers (wonderful people that they are) and so on.

Still, it's great that this will be happening - good luck for the New Year.

I think you're right 'chill out' is the wrong description as some people assume that it's a room that you can go to for some peace and quiet! At Bliss I lost count of the number of times that Val and I were asked where the 'quiet room' was.

As regards dance styles and music, again you're right, people that prefer different genres are different animals altogether. However, our aim is to play music that is interesting and challneging across the board and there generally won't be more than 2 or 3 tracks of any one style played at a time. Also, the empasis will be on the best music we can find to represent the different styles: we don't just want to play a tango track or WSC style track just because that's what it sounds like without it having some kind of quality feel to it in the way that the music is constructed. That way even if it's not the kind of music that you don't want to dance to you should still enjoy listening to it from the sidelines.

Thanks also for the kind wishes. I have to say that it wasn't our intention to start talking about the concept for about another month or so, but Gus' post and comments were so close to where we are going that it would have been churlish to ignore the opportunity!

Rocky
26th-October-2006, 05:58 PM
That way even if it's not the kind of music that you don't want to dance to you should still enjoy listening to it from the sidelines.

Sorry, what a wassock! That'll teach me to post without reading it thoroughly. That sentence should have read like this (without the double negative).

'That way even if it's not the kind of music that you want to dance to you should still enjoy listening to it from the sidelines.'