PDA

View Full Version : Kettering or Rugby?

Yogi_Bear
21st-October-2006, 11:10 PM
Next Thursday I have a choice of either Kettering or Rugby Ceroc nights. Any opinions on what the two evenings have to offer? Given the choice, I would plump for the one with the more interesting music and the friendliest people....

Cruella
22nd-October-2006, 04:12 AM
Kettering is a larger venue with probably a few more experienced dancers.
The music at Rugby will definately be better than Kettering. They both have really nice floors, plenty of parking space. I think Marc and Rachel are still teaching at Rugby and JiveP (Paul Harris) teaches at Kettering. Both have friendly crowds but I think Rugby wiill be more welcoming as it's a smaller venue.
Hope this helps a little bit.:flower:

Northants Girly
22nd-October-2006, 12:53 PM
A few weeks ago I went to Kettering and it was pretty dead :( (but Paul (Jivep) wasn't teaching that night)

Recently I've heard very good reviews about Rugby on Thursdays

Yogi_Bear
22nd-October-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks Cruella and NG - looks like on balance Rugby is favourite. My daughter has just moved to Rugby so I think I need to check out the venue sometime soon....

SnowWhite
22nd-October-2006, 02:06 PM
Angelique and I went to Kettering last Thursday...

Thank goodness we were together! :whistle:

The music was average, Angelique and I spent a lot of time dancing together, and considering how bad my lead is - Angelique must've been desperate :what:

The venue is lovely, and I used to have a good time there, but I think it has obviously suffered from being closed for a while and it is taking time to build back up again.

Perhaps if you went as part of a crowd it would be a fun evening - but if you're looking for interesting music, you might wanna consider elsewhere :innocent:

Haven't been to Rugby so really couldn't comment.

:flower:

bigdjiver
22nd-October-2006, 03:38 PM
Angelique and I went to Kettering last Thursday...

Thank goodness we were together! :whistle:

The music was average, Angelique and I spent a lot of time dancing together, and considering how bad my lead is - Angelique must've been desperate :what:

The venue is lovely, and I used to have a good time there, but I think it has obviously suffered from being closed for a while and it is taking time to build back up again.

Perhaps if you went as part of a crowd it would be a fun evening - but if you're looking for interesting music, you might wanna consider elsewhere :innocent:

Haven't been to Rugby so really couldn't comment.

:flower:If there are dancers like Snowwhite and Angelique at Kettering and they cannot get a dance that is the place to go.

Yogi_Bear
22nd-October-2006, 05:54 PM
If there are dancers like Snowwhite and Angelique at Kettering and they cannot get a dance that is the place to go.

Indeed.....but were they the exception on the night, I wonder.

Little Em
23rd-October-2006, 08:12 AM
I would definately go to Rugby.... they are very welcoming there and the DJ Chris is fab as i hear....

:whistle:

:D

Cruella
23rd-October-2006, 09:26 AM
I would definately go to Rugby.... they are very welcoming there and the DJ Chris is fab as i hear....

The teaching has improved lately too. :whistle: :na:

Yogi_Bear
30th-October-2006, 10:43 PM

Well - belatedly - I did make it to Rugby and it was well worth it, even through I didn't arrive till 10.00! The first thing I noticed was the amazing music from Chris F the DJ...shades of the Southport blues room and all this at an ordinary Ceroc club night in the West Midlands...... I was later told this type of music (largely bluesy, swingy, tango-ish) was played all evening and so the beginners were used to hearing it. And they learnt to dance to it. This guy has seriously good taste in music. 'Whatever Lola Wants' as the penultimate track....was I dreaming or was this really Thursday in Rugby?

Then almost immediately a couple of dances with the lovely Rachel (she and Mark were teaching). Several other very enjoyable dances - excellent floor, friendly crowd - and then some drinks and chatting in the bar till almost 12.30or so.

In addition to Rachel, good to meet up with Northants Girly (sadly no dance though), Kate (not on the Forum), and others. I'm looking forward to my next visit and would certainly recommend Rugby.

angelique
31st-October-2006, 02:25 AM
If there are dancers like Snowwhite and Angelique at Kettering and they cannot get a dance that is the place to go.

:yeah:

I don't understand that comment?? Am I being particularly thick?? :really:

Have to say ...it would have been nice to have had more dances, more choices but Snow White was THE perfect company that night! :waycool:
She even propositioned me......bit I couldn't possibly say what on here! :clap: :wink:

Get her to tell you all about her most memorable dance of the evening and how she survived!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bigdjiver
31st-October-2006, 03:13 AM
:yeah:

I don't understand that comment?? Am I being particularly thick?? :really: :devil: My chance to use:- "Some might say that, but I could not possibly comment." /:devil:

I believe Yogi is a guy. It is most guys dream to have dancers like you (by report, I could not identify you.) and Snow White (whom I know) free for a dance. The fact that Kettering had ladies that allegedly got chosen in preference to the pair of you is, IMO, a sure sign of a paradise for the guys.:flower:

:sad: Actually you are not being thick. :flower: I thought after I had posted that the comment was too obscure. :sad:

angelique
31st-October-2006, 03:26 AM
Kind words young man, kind words! :flower:

We have never met yet dance in the same neck of the woods...nedds to be rectified me thinks!

Paradise is NOT a word I would have used to have described that night at Kettering! :tears:

bigdjiver
31st-October-2006, 03:33 AM
Kind words young man, kind words! :flower:

We have never met yet dance in the same neck of the woods...nedds to be rectified me thinks!Be careful what you wish for ...

Paradise is NOT a word I would have used to have described that night at Kettering! :tears:I want you to know that a vast surplus of ladies is something that I really grieve over, unless, of course, I am there.

Yogi_Bear
31st-October-2006, 09:16 AM
:devil: My chance to use:- "Some might say that, but I could not possibly comment." /:devil:

I believe Yogi is a guy. It is most guys dream to have dancers like you (by report, I could not identify you.) and Snow White (whom I know) free for a dance. The fact that Kettering had ladies that allegedly got chosen in preference to the pair of you is, IMO, a sure sign of a paradise for the guys.:flower:

:sad: Actually you are not being thick. :flower: I thought after I had posted that the comment was too obscure. :sad:
Yes, Yogi is a guy (BigD, we have met :nice: ) and I have also had the pleasure of dancing with Angelique (though not, as far as I know, with Snow White) - but plans are afoot to rectify that situation :whistle: .
The prospect of dancing with Angelique and S White (both at the same time? :D ) is enough to tempt me to Kettering again.....though on the evidence of last Thursday, Rugby would be even better.;)

bigdjiver
31st-October-2006, 11:04 AM
Yes, Yogi is a guy (BigD, we have met :nice: ) and I have also had the pleasure of dancing with Angelique (though not, as far as I know, with Snow White) - but plans are afoot to rectify that situation :whistle: .
The prospect of dancing with Angelique and S White (both at the same time? :D ) is enough to tempt me to Kettering again.....though on the evidence of last Thursday, Rugby would be even better.;)Since they would not have been at Kettering and Marc and Rachel would have been at Rugby I would say that you made the right choice.

Yogi_Bear
31st-October-2006, 11:15 AM
Since they would not have been at Kettering and Marc and Rachel would have been at Rugby I would say that you made the right choice.
Yes....I think I did!

sidney
31st-October-2006, 11:18 AM
After reading all the good comments about Rugby I will give it another chance and go again, I went with a friend about six months ago and the dj that night played the worse music I had ever heard all that heavy rock and really loud, even one of the regulars brought in a cd of his and ask the dj to play it but he did not, so have not been back since only go to the freestyles which are always good It is a bit far for me to travel in the week but since I don't go to the Leics venue which is my locial and I am sorry to say it has not improved from the comments I hear I am going to have to travel that bit more. By the way does Marc and Rachel take the class ever week?:)

Yogi_Bear
31st-October-2006, 11:23 AM
After reading all the good comments about Rugby I will give it another chance and go again, I went with a friend about six months ago and the dj that night played the worse music I had ever heard all that heavy rock and really loud, even one of the regulars brought in a cd of his and ask the dj to play it but he did not, so have not been back since only go to the freestyles which are always good It is a bit far for me to travel in the week but since I don't go to the Leics venue which is my locial and I am sorry to say it has not improved from the comments I hear I am going to have to travel that bit more. By the way does Marc and Rachel take the class ever week?:)

Definitely no heavy rock and not at all loud compared with other places. Don't know about Marc and Rachel (one of the regulars may tell us......). Well worth a trip (based on my one visit, anyway).

Northants Girly
31st-October-2006, 12:22 PM
Agree with everything you say about the great music. Howver, I did also find that it was quite loud - or am I just getting old? :sick:

I'm not a regular at Rugby but I think that Marc and Rachel do teach there every week.

I heard there were plans recently to bring in a different, newly qualified teacher but the regulars put up a petition to Ceroc Central to keep Marc!

SnowWhite
31st-October-2006, 12:33 PM
Have to say ...it would have been nice to have had more dances, more choices but Snow White was THE perfect company that night! :waycool:
She even propositioned me......bit I couldn't possibly say what on here! :clap: :wink:

Get her to tell you all about her most memorable dance of the evening and how she survived!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Angelique you are so naughty!!! :eek: :rofl:

So so pleased you said yes though - I'm not sure I could take another crushing rejection... :sad: :wink:

Survived...??? I still have the scars girl and they'll be a long time fading:sick:

:flower:

P.S - How long would it take us to get to Rugby... :hug:

DavidY
31st-October-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm usually at Rugby most Thursdays (had to miss last week so I wasn't there when Yogi visited).
After reading all the good comments about Rugby I will give it another chance and go again, I went with a friend about six months ago and the dj that night played the worse music I had ever heard all that heavy rock and really loud, even one of the regulars brought in a cd of his and ask the dj to play it but he did notThat doesn't sound like the music Chris regularly plays - very occasionally there's another DJ so maybe that was one of those nights. Mostly IMO Chris plays a good mix - I'd agree with Yogi's comments.
Agree with everything you say about the great music. Howver, I did also find that it was quite loud - or am I just getting old? :sick: Tend to agree with you there - it can be too loud for me sometimes as well.
P.S - How long would it take us to get to Rugby... :hug:Postcode is CV21 2EZ if you want to use multimap/rac etc. Save me a dance if you go...

angelique
31st-October-2006, 02:43 PM
Angelique you are so naughty!!! :eek: :rofl:

P.S - How long would it take us to get to Rugby... :hug:

Naughty??? MOI?????? :eek: That's SO not true :whistle:

You must be mixing me up with someone else baby! Cos that just ain't me :D

Journey to Rugby??? Who knows. Let's give it a whirl...good toons, chocolate and map. May the force be with us :waycool:

SnowWhite
31st-October-2006, 02:48 PM
Journey to Rugby??? Who knows. Let's give it a whirl...good toons, chocolate and map. May the force be with us :waycool:

Take me honey... I'm all yours! :innocent: :wink: :rofl:

Cruella
31st-October-2006, 08:32 PM
Let me know when your going girls, i'll travel the few hundred yards to the venue to say Hi. :D

angelique
31st-October-2006, 08:33 PM
Will do Di...you can make the introductions too! :flower:

SnowWhite
1st-November-2006, 09:40 AM
Let me know when your going girls, i'll travel the few hundred yards to the venue to say Hi. :D

Woohoo! (any dress tips...:wink: ) :rofl:

Yogi_Bear
1st-November-2006, 09:43 AM
you could try going as your avatar...

Cruella
1st-November-2006, 09:50 AM

:rofl: No i think you do just fine without them. (The skirts not the tips :whistle: )

Little Em
1st-November-2006, 07:22 PM
14th Dec may be a good nigth to go and visit - ?

Cruella - not a word.

angelique
2nd-November-2006, 12:29 AM
14th Dec may be a good nigth to go and visit - ?

Cruella - not a word.

C'mon girls..'fess all!
Whisper it..I won't tell anyone..promise :grin:

SnowWhite
2nd-November-2006, 01:28 AM
C'mon girls..'fess all!
Whisper it..I won't tell anyone..promise :grin:

I know something you don't know... nah nah na nah nah :na: :na: :na:

Yogi_Bear
2nd-November-2006, 09:16 AM
I know something you don't know... nah nah na nah nah :na: :na: :na:

14 December.....? This is intruiging....give me a hint, someone? :flower:

SnowWhite
2nd-November-2006, 11:17 AM
14 December.....? This is intruiging....give me a hint, someone? :flower:

Wow! I know something you don't know...Too!!! :na: :na: :na:

angelique
2nd-November-2006, 07:26 PM
Tell me or I won't give you some of my chocolate or sherbert dib-dab! :tears:

SnowWhite
2nd-November-2006, 07:29 PM
Tell me or I won't give you some of my chocolate or sherbert dib-dab! :tears:

Lets negotiate... How much chocolate? what kind? when?

angelique
2nd-November-2006, 07:32 PM
U negotiate??:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I didn't know you spell negotiate as h.i.j.a.c.k????? :flower:

ok lets start...BIG bar...posh stuff!

Now what do I get in return? :wink:

Lory
23rd-November-2006, 07:22 PM
Andy McGregor has just rang me, to ask me to post on here, that he's going to Kettering tonight and he'd love to see as many of you there as possible :cheers:

angelique
23rd-November-2006, 07:30 PM
Best get my best dance shoes on then eh?

Thanks for the info Lory!

Lory
23rd-November-2006, 07:33 PM
Best get my best dance shoes on then eh?

Thanks for the info Lory!

I'm still yabbing on the phone, he said he's wearing his B&W's, looking forward lot's of dances with you :cheers:

Have fun hunny! :hug:

angelique
23rd-November-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm still yabbing on the phone, he said he's wearing his B&W's, looking forward lot's of dances with you :cheers:

Have fun hunny! :hug:

I intend to if this bl**dy headache will go!

What time is he getting there for? You can pass on my mobile number if he wants it and I will keep an eye out for him......tell him I expect at LEAST one dance! :D

Lory
23rd-November-2006, 07:39 PM
I intend to if this bl**dy headache will go!

What time is he getting there for? You can pass on my mobile number if he wants it and I will keep an eye out for him......tell him I expect at LEAST one dance! :D

I'm off the phone now but i'll text him your number..:flower:

He asked me if I I thought he should where a Hawaiian shirt, I said NO, so he'll probably wear it anyway! ;) You know he likes to get noticed:rofl:

angelique
23rd-November-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm off the phone now but i'll text him your number..:flower:

He asked me if I I thought he should where a Hawaiian shirt, I said NO, so he'll probably wear it anyway! ;) You know he likes to get noticed:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

Maybe I should get out my grass skirt and coconut shells...eughhhhhh Let's not go there!!!:sick:

Or shall I just stick to the usual black trousers and pretty top? :confused:
Decisions, decisions..need to go and have a cup of tea and a BIG bar of chocolate whilst I deliberate this one!
Shall I feedback tomorrow?:D

Lory
23rd-November-2006, 07:47 PM
:Shall I feedback tomorrow?:D
Of course! :devil: :D

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 08:24 PM

Watch out for him dancing with other men though dear :flower:

Andy McGregor
24th-November-2006, 09:00 PM
Or shall I just stick to the usual black trousers and pretty top? :confused:
Decisions, decisions..need to go and have a cup of tea and a BIG bar of chocolate whilst I deliberate this one!
Shall I feedback tomorrow?:DAngelique went for pretty. I had a fab time in Kettering. Angelique is a fabulous dancer and great fun too. So were the other ladies of Kettering - and I didn't get turned down once!

To report on the rest of the night. The main negative was the floorcraft, which was non-existent in such an uncrowded venue, also, the sound system wasn't brilliant. On the plus side, the floor was fab, the music was OK, there was plenty of room, free water and the natives were friendly.

Lost Leader
19th-March-2007, 08:38 PM
I am almost certainly going to try the Wickstead Park pavillion free style on 25 March. Not been there before but I happen to be passing quite close to the venue on that day at about the right time. I understand that Marc F. and Chris (DJ from Rugby) are doing a double act on the decks so the music shouild be very good.

Any one got any comments on previous free styles at this venue?

With regard to Rugby it is fast becoming my favourite venue in these parts. Marc and Rachel are still teaching there, the flloor is one of the best, it has a very friendly vibe and Chris's music seem to be getting better and better. It is a little further to travel for me than say Daventry or Northampton but I find it well worth the effort. There is also something nice about dancing on a Thursday as opposed to say Monday or Tuesday - kinda easier to get into a relaxed week-end sort of mood I guess.