PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Area - Good MJ Venues/Events?

Patrick
18th-October-2006, 11:53 AM
I have a friend in Manchester (Salford) who is looking for good venues for classes/workshops/freestyles/events, preferably accessible from Salford by public transport.

Without wishing to get into any controversy, she has tried both Stockport Blitz and Prestwich, and neither are suitable for her/our musical tastes. We tried Stockport together, so I have first hand experience of that one.

I hope to make a trip up there in the next couple of weeks, so for that we could travel a bit further.

Suggestions please!

Patrick :flower:

Daisy Chain
18th-October-2006, 12:00 PM
Hi Patrick

I've always liked Bowdon on a Tuesday night although it appears that several of my Regular Men have defected to Knutsford on a Wednesday where I can't seem to get my hands on them.

Wednesday at Knutsford is recommended if your friend is a man or a pushy woman.

Nearly forgot, the Northwich freestyles are usually good as long as they don't clash with another freestyle nearby (tends to dilute the talent at both venues)

Daisy

(A Local Little Flower)

Patrick
18th-October-2006, 12:15 PM
Hi Patrick

I've always liked Bowdon on a Tuesday night although it appears that several of my Regular Men have defected to Knutsford on a Wednesday where I can't seem to get my hands on them.

Nearly forgot, the Northwich freestyles are usually good as long as they don't clash with another freestyle nearby (tends to dilute the talent at both venues)

Daisy

(A Local Little Flower)

Thanks for the Local info Daisy! I wonder if Royston Vasey is anywhere nearby? Bet they would have a memorable event for non-locals...:what: (In case not obvious, "League of Gentlemen" TV)

I realise my geographical knowledge of your area is shockingly poor - I've never even heard of any of the places you mention! :blush: Lucky I just bought a good new road atlas then. :D

My friend is a woman, a Lady even. Pushy? I couldn't possibly comment, but ....

Maybe cu soon then?

(A Lost Little Flower)

.... rushes off to the car...

Daisy Chain
18th-October-2006, 12:24 PM
I realise my geographical knowledge of your area is shockingly poor - I've never even heard of any of the places you mention! :blush: Lucky I just bought a good new road atlas then. :D

Bowdon is tucked away on a road called 'The Firs'. Bowdon is near Atrincham / Hayle (just south of Manchester). This is as far north as I'm prepared to travel so I can't help you with any more Manchester venues

Knutsford is a tad further south along the A50

Northwich is South Westish of Manchester before you get to Chester (Chester, I'm told is a great venue)

Save me a dance (I may be desperate...)

Daisy

(A Southern Little Wall Flower)

Blueshoes
18th-October-2006, 01:02 PM
Without wishing to get into any controversy, she has tried both Stockport Blitz and Prestwich, and neither are suitable for her/our musical tastes.

Hi Patrick, just typed a dirty great reply and lost it – twice. Not happy…..:mad: :mad: :mad:

I live in Salford so this is my territory we’re talking about! :)

Ceroc run Hyde on a Wednesday night with freestyles on occasional Fridays and Saturdays, also Hindley near Wigan on Thursdays – as it happens I’m demoing there tomorrow. Within travelling distance is Brighouse, the monthly freestyles on the second Friday of the month are definitely worth a visit.

Blitz have Stockport on a Wednesday night with monthly freestyles. Bowdon is now independent and is run by Cinnamon Jive on Tuesdays and Thursdays and have just introduced occasional Saturday freestyles.

There are many other independents, two of which I’ll mention here; Prestwich is run on Mondays by Le Swing Jive (I’m surprised you didn’t enjoy it as it has a good name in the area) and Revolution Dance in Knutsford on Wednesdays with monthly Saturday freestyles.

Knutsford is far the best dance experience in the area for me. The music is challenging (more akin to Southport than a usual class night), the teaching different from anywhere else and the atmosphere great. Because of the overall package it tends to attract the better dancers from around Manchester and Cheshire. http://www.revolutiondance.co.uk

A fuller listing of venues around Manchester can be found here:
http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/class-list.asp (http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/class-list.asp)

If you find yourself up North let me know and I can give you the low down on what’s coming up, if that makes any sense!
:cheers:

Patrick
18th-October-2006, 01:13 PM
Bowdon is tucked away on a road called 'The Firs'.

Knutsford is a tad further south along the A50

Northwich is South Westish of Manchester before you get to Chester (Chester, I'm told is a great venue)

Save me a dance (I may be desperate...)

Daisy

(A Southern Little Wall Flower)

Well I'll be... :eek: My shiny new "Collins 2007 SUPERSCALE BRITAIN Clear, easy to use road maps - SPECIAL SECTION > Detailed area urban maps" Road Atlas (take breath) even has 'The Firs' actually marked! :respect: :respect: :worthy: :worthy: :clap: :clap: It must be fate. Glad I took the advice of a friend who did loads of research into the best road atlas.... £14.99 well spent already.

Usually, wherever I want to go is on the crease of the map, just off the edge, or mostly not on there at all. Now I have no excuse for getting lost... :sad: :rolleyes:

All these places look do-able from Salford, I'll get on UK-Jive to check out days/dates.

They say that desperation is not an endearing quality, but me, I like getting attention. (Mostly). I don't refuse dances (well hardly ever :innocent: ). Though I have developed the knack of smiling sweetly and running off before getting asked in some cases... :blush: :wink:

Save one for me, I'll be a stranger, I may be desperate too!

Thanks daisy. I bet ur a Tiger Lily really.

(A Wandering Star)

Daisy Chain
18th-October-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks daisy. I bet ur a Tiger Lily really.

Too right...................................Miaow!

dance cat
19th-October-2006, 09:58 PM
Bowdon on a Tuesday is by all accounts dying and the music isn't that good. Stockport on a Wednesday is also not good. Knutsford is very good and the standard of teaching and dancing is also good. I have to disagree slightly about the pushy women comment. I get dances at Knutsford and I'm not pushy- so I would recommend it. It's a bit like the escapee club from Bowdon as dancers are voting with their feet!
If you have a car Patrick, then a trip to Chester on a Monday night would also be very good. Teaching and music are good and the people are friendly.
If you are thinking about freestyles give Stockport a miss as the music has been bad for the past few months. Knutsford and Chester have freestyles the weekend after this. Marc and Rachel will be at Knutsford and Gus is doing the music at Chester so you'd be spoilt for choice.

Keith
20th-October-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi guys & thank you for your descriptions of Knutsford, very kind. :cheers:
I can confirm that again as we try to re-invent the wheel, our Sat 28th Oct Freestyle will have the following format (Quick version) or see [URL="http://www.revolutiondance.co.uk"]
7-8pm Cuban Blues workshop
8-10pm Marc Forster on the decks
10pm Dance Cabaret by Marc & Rachel
10.05-midnight Marc back on the decks
12-12.30am Swing & Blues singer (very danceable) bringing the tempo down, whilst we serve complimentary cake, tea & coffee.
Hope this helps :nice:

Patrick
20th-October-2006, 05:34 PM
Hi guys & thank you for your descriptions of Knutsford, very kind. :cheers:
I can confirm that again as we try to re-invent the wheel, our Sat 28th Oct Freestyle will have the following format (Quick version) or see [URL="http://www.revolutiondance.co.uk"]
7-8pm Cuban Blues workshop
8-10pm Marc Forster on the decks
10pm Dance Cabaret by Marc & Rachel
10.05-midnight Marc back on the decks
12-12.30am Swing & Blues singer (very danceable) bringing the tempo down, whilst we serve complimentary cake, tea & coffee.
Hope this helps :nice:

Thanks for all the info guys. I now have to try to reconcile all of this with my partner's limited availability and my previous plans...

But as a new fan of Marc and Rachel, I think I will cancel my planned trip to Oxford Jango on 28 Oct, and venture to Knutsford instead. I was hoping to see M&R at Daventry tomorrow, but I need to save myself a bit for the Midlands Champs. I've been doing more driving than dancing lately!

Patrick
20th-October-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi Patrick

Daisy

(A Local Little Flower)

You have my sympathy re. this Daisy. I have to compete with very pushy men, and often can't get my hands on the ladies I like. I've had the experience of working hard with promising beginners for a while... as soon as the guys realise they are getting good, I never get a look in again! :angry:

I had the galling experience this week of going to a Salsa class I invited my closest dance buddy to (well I thought she was!) I've been helping her for a few months since she first started, and she's come on amazingly well. She said she wasn't up for it, too tired. She turned up with someone else... :eek: :confused: I hardly got a look in. There's gratitude for you! :angry: :angry: The Salsa teacher said he couldn't believe it was her first Salsa lesson! It was her first Salsa lesson, but she'd had a little help beforehand... :(

Always expect the unexpected, never expect anything in return!

(A Frustrated Little FLower)

straycat
23rd-October-2006, 10:45 AM
Another vote for Knutsford from me. I can't compare it to other venues in the area, not having been to anything else around there (except Stockport, once, over a year ago) :whistle:... but I'm very very fussy about music and venues in general, and Keith & Janey have made this one very special :respect:

Very much looking forward to Saturday.

Almost an Angel
23rd-October-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi Guys,

This little Angel is off on her travels again and will be up in Preston tonight till Thursday this week. So to save me from being bored and eating hotel food all week I need to get out and dance. Tonight I can put up with it - that and I don't land in Blackpool till 7.30pm so I'll be catching up on sleep so I won't need any the rest of the week.

Any recomendations beside Knutsford? I'm already heading there.

Plus anyone who is going to be at Knutsford on Wednesday save me a dance and I'll follow or lead as appropriate!!

Angel xx

dance cat
23rd-October-2006, 05:12 PM
Hope to be at Knutsford on Wednesday and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. It's a shame that Chester is a bit far for you because that's also very good and tonight Paula is teaching Argentinian Tango-yippee!!!

Almost an Angel
23rd-October-2006, 05:24 PM
Hope to be at Knutsford on Wednesday and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. It's a shame that Chester is a bit far for you because that's also very good and tonight Paula is teaching Argentinian Tango-yippee!!!

Have made an appearance at Chester before - though was a while back.
Not that bad a drive down - it's just the one back up that's bad!!

Save me a dance - if you want to know who to look out just look for the new person with a wrist brace on!!! v long boring story but funnily enough doesn't stop me dancing. Probably won't make the beginners - but will try.

Angel xx

Blueshoes
23rd-October-2006, 05:28 PM
Save me a dance - if you want to know who to look out just look for the new person with a wrist brace on!!!

Should be at Knutsford myself on Wednesday, so now I know what to look out for I'll certainly be asking you for a dance! :)

Almost an Angel
24th-October-2006, 06:29 PM
Should be at Knutsford myself on Wednesday, so now I know what to look out for I'll certainly be asking you for a dance! :)

Cool - will look forward to it.:D

Angel xx

Keith
24th-October-2006, 09:16 PM
Cool - will look forward to it.:D

Angel xx

Don't forget to grab me, as I run around like a mad man :eek:
Usually free after the second lesson ;)

Keith

Patrick
25th-October-2006, 02:35 AM
Is there anything happening in the Midlands on Friday 3 Nov? Looks like that day will be my trip 'oop North'! ** On UK-jive.co.uk , it all looks very quiet.

Near Manchester or Stoke on Trent ideally. Derby/Nottingham at a push.

Alternatively, any good night clubs?

Thanks guys
Patrick :cheers:

(** I know the Midlands isn't really the North, just relative to the South West...)

dance cat
26th-October-2006, 11:29 AM
I may be wrong but I think there is a freestyle in Northwich on the 4th November. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm out on my dates.

Gus
26th-October-2006, 12:31 PM
I may be wrong but I think there is a freestyle in Northwich on the 4th November. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm out on my dates.Urrrm Lou & Cool Catz do have an event on that night but I got reprimanded last time I mentioned it as its on the same night as a certain Ceroc event in Stoke :blush:

fletch
26th-October-2006, 12:36 PM
Urrrm Lou & Cool Catz do have an event on that night but I got reprimended last time I mentioned it as its on the same night as a certain Ceroc event in Stoke :blush:

Do they :rolleyes:

It won't make any difference :na:

Fletch runs off and hides form the flack :whistle:

Patrick
26th-October-2006, 01:59 PM
Urrrm Lou & Cool Catz do have an event on that night but I got reprimanded last time I mentioned it as its on the same night as a certain Ceroc event in Stoke :blush:

So now we have the event which can't be named! Where are you going to be then Gus! :wink:

Do they :rolleyes:
It won't make any difference :na:
Fletch runs off and hides form the flack :whistle:

I feel another one of those piggy-in-the-middle situations coming on here Fletch! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you lie about your age, there's still time for us to enter the old farts category... Or we could do a bouncy showcase.. What do you say? :wink:

I know where I 'll be on 4 Nov, but I do need somewhere to practice near Stoke/Manchester on 3 Nov. It will be our only opportunity.

I'm missing you something rotten babes.... :hug: :kiss: :awe: And I'm not going to make the next T! :eek: :eek: Just signed up for Amir's Sunday workshop in Putney on 29th... :sad: Life is hard. :(

Patrick xx :flower:

fletch
29th-October-2006, 02:56 AM
I feel another one of those piggy-in-the-middle situations coming on here Fletch! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you lie about your age, there's still time for us to enter the old farts category... Or we could do a bouncy showcase.. What do you say? :wink:

I'm missing you something rotten babes.... :hug: :kiss: :awe: And I'm not going to make the next T! :eek: :eek: Just signed up for Amir's Sunday workshop in Putney on 29th... :sad: Life is hard. :(

Patrick xx :flower:

Miss you to :hug: it seems like ages :hug:

Next year, carn't do lies, what you see is what you get :flower:

Would I drag you in :wink: Witty might be entering :eek: well if she can find out any details :rolleyes:

Blueshoes
29th-October-2006, 03:03 AM
Just got back from Knutsford. A superb evening, sold out but more space than before (no stage and fewer tables) so less crowded. Marc was DJing so the music was just right, he also gave an hours workshop beforehand and did a Cuban Blues demo with Rachel which was great to watch. If only all freestyles could be like this! :)

fletch
29th-October-2006, 09:30 AM
Just got back from Knutsford. If only all freestyles could be like this! :)

They can be, now you know why I travel so much :cheers:

Gus
29th-October-2006, 12:51 PM
Just got back from Knutsford. A superb evening, sold out but more space than before (no stage and fewer tables) so less crowded.Similar at Chester, who always sell-out ... must be doing something right. I think its a positive statement about the dancing in the N West that we can have two sellout events on the same night, around 270 dancers in total having a great night out. Was nice to see a few forumites there, Donna and RoyBoy :nice:.

Will be interesting to see how things go over the Xmas period. As everyone has traditionally avoided going up against the Stockport town Hall events, most of the local operators are now holding their events on Sat 2nd and 9th of December.

On the 2nd there is
Alive Events - Whitby
Cool Catz - Northwich
Reveolution - Knutsford
Ceroc Manchester - Hyde

On the 9th there is
Blitz Chester- Blitz
Ceroc Nantwich - Nantwich
Hot Roc - Sandbach

This presents a different issue. The venue capacities for the four 2nd Dec events are (about) 200, 250, 150, 200 respectively. I don't think that there are 800 dancers out and about in the N West so somebody is going to be dissapointed. On the 9th Chester will sell out its 120 tickets no problem, leaving Sandbach and Nantwich to find another 350 dancers between them. The Xmas season is going to be a real challenge to all promoters.

straycat
29th-October-2006, 05:38 PM
Just got back from Knutsford. A superb evening, sold out but more space than before (no stage and fewer tables) so less crowded. Marc was DJing so the music was just right, he also gave an hours workshop beforehand and did a Cuban Blues demo with Rachel which was great to watch. If only all freestyles could be like this! :)

Seconded. Missed the workshop, alas, but the rest made for a wonderful evening. Well worth the three-hour trip.

dance cat
29th-October-2006, 07:09 PM
Seconded. Missed the workshop, alas, but the rest made for a wonderful evening. Well worth the three-hour trip.

Also missed the workshop though I heard very good reports from the dancers who did make it. The music was very good with some interesting tracks to dance to. A three hour trip-that's dedication!

straycat
29th-October-2006, 07:29 PM
Also missed the workshop though I heard very good reports from the dancers who did make it. The music was very good with some interesting tracks to dance to. A three hour trip-that's dedication!

...OK - so I exaggerate slightly - it was a three hour trip, yes, but we'd spent the day nearby for other reasons, so it was nice timing.

On the other hand, before now, we have...
Stayed up all night dancing on the last night of an overseas event,
Flown back to our local airport
Gone: 'what freestyles are on?' and thought of Knutsford
Driven three hours to Knutsford (via nearest Tescos to buy clean shirts)
Danced 'till nearly the end.
Collapsed (OK - that was me - Mrs Straycat managed to retain enough energy to get us back to the hotel)

That was a great night too ;)

dance cat
29th-October-2006, 07:34 PM
...OK - so I exaggerate slightly - it was a three hour trip, yes, but we'd spent the day nearby for other reasons, so it was nice timing.

On the other hand, before now, we have...
Stayed up all night dancing on the last night of an overseas event,
Flown back to our local airport
Gone: 'what freestyles are on?' and thought of Knutsford
Driven three hours to Knutsford (via nearest Tescos to buy clean shirts)
Danced 'till nearly the end.
Collapsed (OK - that was me - Mrs Straycat managed to retain enough energy to get us back to the hotel)

That was a great night too ;)

:rofl: :rofl: Perhaps there is a fine line between dedication and madness!?

straycat
29th-October-2006, 07:43 PM
:rofl: :rofl: Perhaps there is a fine line between dedication and madness!?

There may well be, although I think on that occasion we managed to leave it waaay off in the distance behind us...

Keith
30th-October-2006, 10:10 AM
We love you all, dedication or other :respect:
Make sure you ask Jane for more sweets & Cake next time.
Cheers guys, we're still having a blast & have all sorts of treats lined up for December & in the New Year.
Don't forget all our Sat Freestyle nights in 2007 fall on the last Saturday of the month, other than Decembers which will be Sat 22nd December :clap:
Happy dancing

straycat
30th-October-2006, 10:14 AM
Make sure you ask Jane for more sweets & Cake next time.

You have to be kidding - I ate far too much cake, and people were still trying to ply me with more as we left.... :wink:

Thank you both for a great evening :flower: :hug: :cheers: