PDA

View Full Version : Is dancing in your genes?

Gav
18th-October-2006, 11:12 AM
I've been dancing under the illusion that I'm the only one in my family that's ever tried. I've talked about it often enough, but no-one ever told me any different. :confused:

I just found out that my Grandfather was a locally well-respected ballroom whizz, my mum and uncle were childhood Jive champions and used to dance all the time and various other members of the family went to the Len Goodman School of Dance in Dartford. :eek:

I loved it from the moment I tried and although I wouldn't class myself as a good dancer yet, I think I have some talent to develop.

So is dancing in my genes? Do you have a dancing family history?

Groovemeister
18th-October-2006, 11:23 AM
My parents never competed or anyhting but they can both do most off the Ballroom dances and Jive. I think thats more to do with there age group than anything in that most people learnt some sort of dancing when they were younger.

My Dad is a very good line dancer though and has been all over the palce dancing. He has done quite a few shows and exhibitions as well.

I wouldn't say it was in my genes because of my recent family heritage but it is in there somewhere.

Northants Girly
18th-October-2006, 11:23 AM
My parents met at a dance :awe:

Lory
18th-October-2006, 11:46 AM

Yes, my Grandmother was a ballroom dancer and her daughter (my dad's sister) competed as a youngster but still now, well into her 70's she still dances. Also, my parents won a few small R&R/jiving comps at local clubs in the late 50's :waycool:

But I also believe it was just a sign of the times to be able to do 'some form' of partner dancing then.:nice:

Dizzy
18th-October-2006, 11:51 AM
I must be in the minority then as my parents, grandparents and relatives don't dance (well apart from a cousin who does salsa!!)

My parents made me do Irish dancing while I was growing up but that is about as much exposure to dancing as it got, genetially-wise.

Twirly
18th-October-2006, 11:53 AM
My parents met at ballroom dancing classes. And yes, I agree with the others on here, it was more common then to do some form of partner dancing, though I think they both came to it well into their 20’s which was probably quite late.

My Dad was the better/more enthusiastic dancer. He also competed, although I think from what he told me recently he was dragooned into it when a particular female competitor in his local area was without her regular partner for a competition (not sure if it was regional or national, must find out). She was way above his standard, but still, they competed, and they won. :nice:

Since I take after him in lots of other ways too, I reckon it is in my genes, and that I get it from him. And I’m very thankful. :clap: Thanks Dad! :D

Beowulf
18th-October-2006, 11:56 AM
I occasionally dance in my Jeans, but sometimes I wear Combats or Chino's

Oh sorry.. my mistake :wink: . No My Mum and Dad don't dance. in fact as far as I can remember back, NO-ONE in my family dances apart from me.

Gav
18th-October-2006, 11:58 AM
I occasionally dance in my Jeans, but sometimes I wear Combats or Chino's

I wondered who'd take the bait and how long it would take! :devil:

Genie
18th-October-2006, 12:02 PM
My grandparents were great dancers when they were younger. They won all sorts of competitions. So I guess so :) My Mum never liked to dance. So it skipped a generation.

Freya
18th-October-2006, 12:14 PM
Although my family doesn't have much history of dancing apart from socially my mum and dad do enjoy ceilidh's!

I did drag my mum along to ceroc one week and although she enjoyed it didn't really think it was for her!

She was actually quite good and natural and followed other moves than just those ones in the class so I think natural ability to dance to dance must be somewhere in your genes!

Whether its down to balance, proprioception, rhythm...these are all inherited from your parents! like tongue rolling!

But I think it can be learned!...Unlike tongue rolling!

janey
18th-October-2006, 12:47 PM
I just found out that my Grandfather was a locally well-respected ballroom whizz, my mum and uncle were childhood Jive champions and used to dance all the time and various other members of the family went to the Len Goodman School of Dance in Dartford. :eek:

My mum was taught ballroom dancing by Len Goodman's dad & used to dance with Len when he was a teenager :eek:

Alice
18th-October-2006, 12:49 PM
My mum did ballet when she was young- still has the pointe shoes to prove it:)

I think my grandparents all did some kind of ballroom/partner dance when they were growing up- but it was the "norm" then.

Oh, and my parents took ballroom lessons before their wedding:awe:

Other than that, nothing much. No dance wizzes in my family as far as I can tell:tears: :tears:

killingtime
18th-October-2006, 02:00 PM
Other than that, nothing much. No dance wizzes in my family as far as I can tell:tears: :tears:

Just the one then? :flower:

Sparkles
18th-October-2006, 02:03 PM
My Mum did ballroom as a girl and I know my grandparents went to 'dances' when they were courting.
Maybe it's not 'in your genes', maybe it's just exposure... if your parents know dancing classes exist then you will too, maybe :what:

Alice
18th-October-2006, 02:04 PM
Just the one then? :flower:
Awwwww....:hug: :hug: :flower: :flower:

ducasi
18th-October-2006, 02:26 PM
... proprioception ...
Good word! :respect:

I think that *any* "natural" ability you have, you're going to get from your parents – that's pretty much a no-brainer.

And if your parents enjoyed dancing, it's likely you will too.

As for me, I've never seen my father dance, but my Mum used to do tap-dance lessons as a wee girl... Think that's all...

Donna
18th-October-2006, 02:44 PM

My mum used to do northern soul and disco dancing. She danced all over the country, entered comps and won a few plus she has done a bit of choreography for other dancers all of them who won also. Now she's a dance teacher. I think it's only my mum in the whole family who has had success with her dancing. Too be honest my family have a more successful musical background.

Alice
18th-October-2006, 02:48 PM
My Mum did ballroom as a girl and I know my grandparents went to 'dances' when they were courting.
Maybe it's not 'in your genes', maybe it's just exposure... if your parents know dancing classes exist then you will too, maybe :what:
:yeah: I think it's a bit of both. There are "natural" dancers, and there are people who might get into dancing (or music, or competitive sports) maybe slighter younger because they've been exposed to it by people around them.

Likewise if you have parents who've competed you might be more likely to consider competing (or be more serious about it).

Minnie M
18th-October-2006, 02:53 PM
........ my parents won a few small R&R/jiving comps at local clubs in the late 50's :waycool: .........
:yeah: I did too :flower: might even know your parents :innocent:

My mother was an original 'Taxi' dancer for Victor Silvester :what: It was her job to dance with punters. She also won lots of cups and medals.