PDA

View Full Version : USA Dance competition - Boogie By The Bay 2006

Keith J
16th-October-2006, 07:16 PM
Hopefully results attached for those interested:

Summary highlights: Look out for our very own Catriona Wiles, Paul Warden and Lee Easton.

Brilliant turn out by the British dancers, congratulations to you all.

Boogie by the Bay 2006

Final Results

Novice Jack & Jill
1st Charles Gil & Stacy Chiang
2nd Todd Paulus & Joy Davina Lickteig
3rd Tom Selzler & Angeline Lucia
4th Thomas Davidson & Connie Gauthier
5th Lee Easton & Michelle Bresson:clap: :worthy:

Intermediate Jack & Jill:
1st Paul Warden & Simone Andradeworthy: :respect:
2nd Alan Annicella & Keiko Matsuyama
3rd James Hood & Heather Blue
4th Geoffrey Nighswonger & Miranda Irving
5th Tim Stevenson & Audrey Womack

Masters Jack & Jill
1st Chips Hough & Anne Barnes
2nd Russell Hausske & Peggy Allen
3rd Mike Gadberry & Janice Salmon
4th David Collins & Linn Tanabe
5th Bill Corey & Joanie Fuller

Advanced Jack & Jill
1st Gary Ulaner & Rachel Baumgardner
2nd Robert Adams & Amber Ripley
3rd Tom Jennings & Torri Smith
4th Chris Dominguez & Leslie Huber
5th Jeremy Bryan & Nancy Tuzzolino

All-Stars Jack & Jill
1st Michael Kielbasa & Erica Berg
2nd Gregory Scott & Jennifer DeLuca
3rd Miguel deSousa & Lauren Davis
4th Jason Barnes & Alyssa Alden
5th Jason Miklic & Maira Pineda
Champions Jack & Jill
1st Robert Cordoba & Sarah Vann Drake
2nd John Lindo & Sylvia Sykes
3rd Kyle Redd & Jessica Cox
4th Angel Figueroa & Brandi Tobias
5th Parker Dearborn & Blake Dowling

Lindy Jack & Jill
1st Hareesh Kapoor & Brenda Collins
2nd Pete Green & Emily Hoffberg
3rd Kenny Nelson & Audrey Kanemoto
4th Rye Crowen & Yon Na
5th Pat Wall & Pinar Erciyas

Novice Strictly Swing
1st Kyle Krebs & Dana Simonetti
2nd Todd Paulus & Joy Davina
3rd Tom Selzler & Deb Selzler
4th Chris Pegg & Ciara Pegg
5th Charles Gil & Robyn Everingham

Intermediate Strictly Swing
1st Dave Damon & Valerie Armstrong
2nd Paul Warden & Catriona Wiles:respect: :clap: :worthy:
3rd James Hood & Tamra Hood
4th Alan Annicella & Anna Labriola
5th Haider Khan & Heather Leigh Smith

Advanced Strictly Swing
1st Miguel de Sousa & Samantha Buckwalter
2nd Shiloh Warren & Lauren Davis
3rd Billy Smuck & Brenda Koster
4th Jason Barnes & Laura Christopherson
5th John Snyder & Melanie Wong-Jennings

Champions Strictly Swing
1st Jordan Frisbee & Sarah Vann Drake
2nd Wayne Bott & Sharlot Bott
3rd Arjay Centeno & Brandi Tobias
4th Mario Robau & Blake Dowling
5th Kyle Redd & Tatiana Mollmann
Strictly Lindy
1st Manu Smith & Melissa Rutz
2nd Ryan Borkenhagen & Carla Heiney
3rd Ben Morris & Amanda Marshan
4th Pete Green & Emily Hoffberg
5th Todd Yannacone & Jessica Cox
Young Adult
1st Josh Mosier & Torri Smith
2nd Sean McKeever & Caitlin Lawson
3rd Jonny Dessel & Tara Trafzer
Lindy Showcase
1st Nick Williams & Ria DeBiase
2nd Bromley Palamountain & Jean Ma
3rd Doug Silton & Ben Morris
Classic
1st Jordan Frisbee & Tatiana Mollmann
2nd Ronnie DeBenedetta & Brandi Tobias
3rd Arjay Centeno & Melissa Rutz
4th Angel Figueroa & Debbie Figueroa
5th Michael Kielbasa & Jennifer DeLuca
Showcase
1st Parker Dearborn & Jessica Cox
2nd Robert Cordoba & Deborah Szekely
3rd David Appel & Susan Kirklin
4th Jim Minty & Katie McCaslin
5th Myles Munroe & Tessa Cunningham

Dizzy
17th-October-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the results Keith :flower: :clap:. It sounds as if there were some overwhelmingly good dancers there. Watching them would have been amazing :respect:

Congratulations to Lee, Cat and especially Paul :clap: :clap:

Caro
17th-October-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks Keith :flower: and :respect: to our UK dancers :clap:

Any chance to see pictures / videos ? (am assuming it was forbidden though :sad: )

What routine did J&T do, pump it?

Keith J
18th-October-2006, 10:56 AM
Yep Jordan & Tatiana were ab' fab', very slick, 'Pump It' as you rightly said.

It was a mind blowingly well organised event, in a Hyatt hotel, everything catered for. The USA WCS & BBTB organisers are excellent & they said it does take a full 11 months of planning. It shows in the quality.

Videoing strictly not allowed unfortunately the camera never came out of the suitcase.

We have ordered the, 6 DVD (qualifying rounds and all) set of the event, may be able to give you sight of it when see you next, but they likely to be about 6 weeks. However the gentleman who does the video for them offered to sell me the video company as he is retiring. Hmmm Hollywood here I come....not.

Look out for Mario Robau who is very keen to come to the UK next year, for the round of teaching workshops. He is a great teacher.

:love: :hug:
Keith

Lory
18th-October-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm very envious Kieth, I can only imagine how brilliant it was. :greeneyed smiley:

Did you do much freestyle and manage to dance much with the natives? I'm wondering what they made of the British?:na:

p.s. did you bring the videos home with you or have you ordered them?:)

Keith J
19th-October-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks very much for the interest:

The US Coasties were incredibly friendly, positive and amazed generally at the UK WCS dance quality. We faired very well but remeber its a bit more like MJ size over there and so the spectrum of dancers is very wide from absolute begineers through to the professionals. So you can imagine we fitted somewhere in the middle.
Feedback from our US BBTB Coasties was unbelievable. Mostly extremely good.
Its a huge credit to all those teachers and WCS fans along the way, who put in the time and effort, to keep it going over the years, the likes of David and Lilly, Angie, Fred & Becky.
+ (the US BBTB placements & winners), the incredible Cat, the ab' fab' Paul Warden & the ever slick, Lee. They all dived into compete, totally off the cuff, petitioned for entry and did us proud.
Nicki Haslam, Robert Winter were there as well from Ceroc Australia (apologies if I have the wrong name, you all know who I mean).
Also Aus' NuRoc turned out particularly strongly, (PC laptops and flags !?!)

DVDs in about 5-6 weeks posted by the way...

Geordieed
19th-October-2006, 01:57 PM
On top of everything Keith mentioned, the standard of some of the teacher (with all respect to our teachers over in the UK) was amazing. I especially wanted to take a workshop with one of my hero's, Mario Robau Jr. The speed, depth and structure of his workshop was easily the best I have experienced. If he had tried to teach what we all left the dancefloor with at the start of the workshop we would never have got it. This guy is a legend in Swing.

Later I attended a seminar he gave on musicality which blew alot of the room away. Just an indication of his standing in the dance community in America, his lecture was attended by some of the top teachers who were either teaching or competing at the event. There were so many new concepts to take on board. One of them covered the different types of rythms that can be danced to Swing. He showed how sometimes the timing of a standard triple doesn't fit the music even if it is a medium paced track and how to change the timing of a triple to make it fit. He showed how to break up the beat into different mutiples and spoke about the past present and future of the dance. Like the previous workshop the speed and clarity of the information was amazing.

If anyone ever gets the opportunity to study his teaching in the US or UK or otherwise this guy is not to be missed. Anyone who has attended workshops by the likes of Kyle and Sarah may well have heard a tribute to this guy.

Simon
19th-October-2006, 10:11 PM
The US Coasties were incredibly friendly, positive and amazed generally at the UK WCS dance quality. Well done, Guys, you did the Brits proud taking on the Americans in their own back yard! :clap:

Mostlysane
18th-November-2006, 01:00 PM
On top of everything Keith mentioned, the standard of some of the teacher (with all respect to our teachers over in the UK) was amazing. I especially wanted to take a workshop with one of my hero's, Mario Robau Jr. The speed, depth and structure of his workshop was easily the best I have experienced. If he had tried to teach what we all left the dancefloor with at the start of the workshop we would never have got it. This guy is a legend in Swing.

Later I attended a seminar he gave on musicality which blew alot of the room away. Just an indication of his standing in the dance community in America, his lecture was attended by some of the top teachers who were either teaching or competing at the event. There were so many new concepts to take on board. One of them covered the different types of rythms that can be danced to Swing. He showed how sometimes the timing of a standard triple doesn't fit the music even if it is a medium paced track and how to change the timing of a triple to make it fit. He showed how to break up the beat into different mutiples and spoke about the past present and future of the dance. Like the previous workshop the speed and clarity of the information was amazing.

If anyone ever gets the opportunity to study his teaching in the US or UK or otherwise this guy is not to be missed. Anyone who has attended workshops by the likes of Kyle and Sarah may well have heard a tribute to this guy.

I had a look at Mario's website this morning. You may be interested to look at his 2007 diary events for October 13-21. There's no details yet. Does anyone know what event/weekender takes place that weekend?

http://www.marioswingdaddy.com/Travel.htm

Minnie M
18th-November-2006, 01:43 PM
I had a look at Mario's website this morning. You may be interested to look at his 2007 diary events for October 13-21. There's no details yet. Does anyone know what event/weekender takes place that weekend?

http://www.marioswingdaddy.com/Travel.htm

Check out Brady's site (http://www.uk-wcs.co.uk/)- not there at the moment but I think he may have something to do with this :whistle: